Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Bears fire Head Coach Lovie Smith
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChiSportsFan

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Smith, meanwhile, already has been contacted by four teams interested in having him interview for a head coaching position, a source told ESPN. No interviews are being set up at the moment because most teams are talking to assistants who are available and coaches who are involved with the bye week of the playoffs. Those teams are expected to contact Smith later to set up formal interviews, the source said.

http://espn.go.com/chicago/nfl/story/_/id/8795815/chicago-bears-fire-lovie-smith-missing-playoffs

Wonder who those four teams are. If I had to guess: Philadelphia, Cleveland, Buffalo, and Arizona
Nabbs4u

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Athelite wrote:
people can defend lovie til they are blue in the face with their excuses about how he is a good coach and it was the offensive line but the bottom line is this. If you lose 7 of the last 8 games against your supposed "rival", miss the playoffs 5 of the last 6 seasons, and coach the only team in the last 20 years to go 7-1 and miss the playoffs you deserve to be fired, period.

Can't believe it took 4 pages before someone actually summed up the correct reasoning behind the fire! Applause How many other HC in NFL history have lasted to coach another year only making the playoffs once in the previous 6?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nabbs4u wrote:
Athelite wrote:
people can defend lovie til they are blue in the face with their excuses about how he is a good coach and it was the offensive line but the bottom line is this. If you lose 7 of the last 8 games against your supposed "rival", miss the playoffs 5 of the last 6 seasons, and coach the only team in the last 20 years to go 7-1 and miss the playoffs you deserve to be fired, period.

Can't believe it took 4 pages before someone actually summed up the correct reasoning behind the fire! Applause How many other HC in NFL history have lasted to coach another year only making the playoffs once in the previous 6?

How many coaches have been fired from their job with an average season of 9-7 and a Super Bowl appearance under their belt?

Mike Martz is the only other one I can think of. And that was a bit of a different situation.

My feeling is this, like the Bucs, they may not end up regretting the move but I think history will show when he gets another job that he was a very good coach who didn't have the best circumstances.

Yes, the Bears had a great defense but they had a GM who couldn't draft for crud which led to them having nothing on offense where Smith doesn't have a lot of expertise. Dungy had the same issue in TB.

But would he do it in a Sharknado?
WindyCity

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jrry32 wrote:
Nabbs4u wrote:
Athelite wrote:

How many coaches have been fired from their job with an average season of 9-7 and a Super Bowl appearance under their belt?

Mike Martz is the only other one I can think of. And that was a bit of a different situation.

My feeling is this, like the Bucs, they may not end up regretting the move but I think history will show when he gets another job that he was a very good coach who didn't have the best circumstances.

Yes, the Bears had a great defense but they had a GM who couldn't draft for crud which led to them having nothing on offense where Smith doesn't have a lot of expertise. Dungy had the same issue in TB.

Brian Billick, Tony Dungy, Andy Ried etc.

The Bears need someone I save the offense and deliver them from the Stone Age of offense that they has existed in for 80 years.

Lovie couldn't do it.
MonserinNC

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovie would be awesome for the Browns IMO....the perfect stepping stone type coach where he could get the Browns to like 8 wins and be competitive.

Im not sure about the Bills or Philly......in general Chicago is a franchise that doesnt deal with alot of overpriced FA's....Lovie had a hand in that as well....I dont think he is fond of vets who are stuck in their ways.

I would be really intrigued to see him with the Browns though....Browns have been stocking defensive talent...will bring in a new GM who will work super close with Lovie like Angelo did....really could raise them up to a regular 8 win team.

BrotherlyLove wrote:
Cutler isn't sexy enough to be compared to sexy rexy, let's get real

Darrelle Revis wrote:
TEBOWSANITYMANIA
BrettFavre4

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smith is targeting both the Cardinals and Bills jobs:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000120661/article/lovie-smith-targeting-arizona-cardinals-buffalo-bills

Quote:
NFL.com's Ian Rapoport reported on NFL Network's "NFL Total Access" that Smith plans to coach in 2013 and is very interested in the vacancies with the Arizona Cardinals and Buffalo Bills. Both those teams have legitimate defensive talent already in place, making them a natural fit with Smith's sensibilities.

Both make good sense. Both have young defenses with a ton of potential and a lot of good players on that side of the ball, which could fit Lovie's scheme perfectly. Lovie will need a strong offensive coordinator though. However, both teams are weak at QB but let's not forget he managed to get a team with Rex Grossman as the starting QB to the Super Bowl. Yes, the Bears' defenses have been a huge reason for any success, including a huge majority of that season, but Lovie is gifted in that department and although the Cardinals and Bills both can't compare to those Bear defenses, they certainly could take the next step to elite status under a mind like Lovie Smith.

I personally hope and pray with all I have that the Bills land him. I think he'd be a great fit for us. Hester threatening to retire today after Lovie was fired says a lot about the respect his players have for him and that's exactly the type of coach this team needs. A coach who has the respect of his players and makes them want to play hard for him, and can get the most out of the defensive side of the ball, which is our strength.
DRC29 INT

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go ahead and take him Buffalo. Doubt he gets an interview here.
jrry32

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WindyCity wrote:
jrry32 wrote:
Nabbs4u wrote:
Athelite wrote:

Brian Billick, Tony Dungy, Andy Ried etc.

The Bears need someone I save the offense and deliver them from the Stone Age of offense that they has existed in for 80 years.

Lovie couldn't do it.

If the Bears had the talent, I think Lovie and Martz could have done it.

And of those examples, how many weren't good coaches? Billick is about it. While the Bears might not regret if they find the right coach, like Tampa, I still think Lovie will prove he's a good coach.

mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would think it would be in Smith's best interest to go to a place that already has a reasonably good offense. He should be able to build/develop a defense but if he goes somewhere with a bad offense and good defense (e.g. Arizona), it will be just like his situation with the Bears.
Tohnren

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's bizarre. That team constantly overachieved. He did wonderful things with that talent and was never talked about for making big mistakes during game management. Lovie was really underrated.

As a Packers fan, this news makes me quite happy.
steelcurtain29

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If offense was that big of a deal; why not just demote him and hire a new HC? The man took that team to the Super Bowl with an abysmal offense; clearly, he knows how to run a defensive unit.
jrry32

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

steelcurtain29 wrote:
If offense was that big of a deal; why not just demote him and hire a new HC? The man took that team to the Super Bowl with an abysmal offense; clearly, he knows how to run a defensive unit.

Because he wouldn't accept a demotion?

Badger75

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why wouldn't KC consider Lovie Smith?

That franchise is currently in serious trouble. The Chiefs need a fresh look. They have traditionally been a team that thrived on the run game with a big defense.

The AFC W is very weak. A quick turn around is possible in KC. They haven't been contenders in years.
1WngdAngel

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a lot of people looking at Smith's tenure with rose colored glasses and ignoring his weak points. Bad clock management, bad challenges, bad personnel and management decisions (Archuletta, Babich, Martz, etc.). Don't get me wrong, I believe he's a good man and good coach, but not great and he wouldn't be the one to lead the Bears to a championship.

All the blame for the teams talent gap can't be laid upon Jerry Angelo either, that's revisionist history. After the superbowl season and Lovie's new contract he had a big hand in draft and FA decisions. Smith failed for 9 years to field a complete team and the one year he had a "decent" offense the team went to the Superbowl. It's time for this team, this organization to break into the modern NFL and field an offense that is consistent, puts points on the board, and can be relied on to carry the team when needed and win games.

Last edited by 1WngdAngel on Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:59 am; edited 1 time in total
Superman(DH23)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Badger75 wrote:
Why wouldn't KC consider Lovie Smith?

That franchise is currently in serious trouble. The Chiefs need a fresh look. They have traditionally been a team that thrived on the run game with a big defense.

The AFC W is very weak. A quick turn around is possible in KC. They haven't been contenders in years.
I'm not sure KC would be attractive to Lovie. yeah they have Berry, Flowers, & Johnson which fit his scheme quite nicely, and Hali reminds me a lot of Alex Brown, but you are talking about QB hell for him yet again, and a really uncertain GM situation.

Also local station here in Iowa is reporting Kirk Ferentz is meeting w/ the chiefs this week. If Kirk is going to jump ship, its going to happen now.

2013 Bears Forum Mike Ditka Award Winner
2014 Adopt-A-Bear Alshon Jeffery

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8

Jump to: