Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Panthers to fire HC Ron Rivera; Update: staying next season
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cypher

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zithers wrote:
yeah, same thing happened last year. fool's gold. we beat a bunch of bad teams down the stretch again. rivera still pulled out the cover 4 for the saints. i don't see someone who will consistently put W's on the table.

Yet you somehow see this from the candidates who are/were available?

NS922 wrote:
All on LOLton for page stretching to Green Idk what happened my phone graduated to ROFLtron
J Pep 4 Step

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zithers wrote:
i'll take everything i said about the prevent back if you can show me any close wins where we played the prevent/cover 4 and actually prevented a team from scoring several times in the final minutes to take the lead or make it heart-stoppingly close. i'll concede if you can name three instances (more than the two that i keep harping on about).

I dont need you to concede what you said. Or take anything back. Its nonsense. By all means, keep saying it. "The prevent doesnt work when we lose. It doesnt work when we win. We shouldnt use it because we fail at executing it every time we try."

Quote:
did i say we used prevent against the falcons? i don't recall doing so and if i did... well i must have made a mistake.

Whether you did or didnt is irrelevant. What you did just say is Rivera adjusted. Something you have been arguing he doesnt do. "He makes the same mistakes over and over." He trusted the defense in the Atlanta game. The defense failed. So he adjusted to avoid the same result. True?

Quote:
and i still believe we should have run it again.

Which is fine. But that doesnt make his decision not to a bad call. Thats the point. You are calling it a bad decision because it didnt work. Disregarding the fact that many coaches, based on decades of evidence, would have made the same exact call.

Quote:
and as iknowcool said, we should have been running more to begin with. and not out of the option. thankfully, we have rivera there to make sure we do crap that doesn't make sense until we're already out of the playoff hunt. maybe if we had a more balanced attack... say, a pro style offense with some option-y stuff put in. play action and whatnot. maybe that would have fooled seattle a bit prior, so we wouldn't have been in that position in the first place. oh wait... that's hindsight. i guess i'm a monday morning QB for stating the obvious... that running the option as your only run play is stupid. sorry. i'll try to refrain from that in future posts. everything rivera does is a good idea!!!

You ARE a Monday Morning QB. There is no sense in denying it. You look at the results and say, "Well duh, we shouldnt have done that. What a terrible idea." Despite the fact that the same calls get made, and work, all the time. The prevent defense isnt a bad idea. Until it doesnt work. Then you are there to say, "See! Bad idea!" Passing inside the 10 isnt a bad idea. Till we dont score. Then it's "See! What a terrible idea! Of course we shouldnt have passed in that situation!"

I never said everything the guy does is right. All I said was I see him improving and I see the team improving. And because of that, I think we are better off giving him another season. I was vocally critical of some of the play calling and much of the offense early in the season. But I am objective enough to continue my appraisal beyond week 7. I didnt slam the door shut on him as you apparently have.

He adjusted. He improved. The team improved. Incrementally. But it improved. You keep harping about the playoffs. We arent a playoff caliber team yet. And no coach out there would have changed that. The playoffs are a ridiculous pipe dream this season.

Quote:
i'd rather chew out the clock and trust my defense (who had suffocated the bears offense the entire game [until we played prevent]). difference of philosophy i guess. you'd rather lose and i want to win.

Suffocated is bit bit of a dramatic overstatement. They scored 14 points and were down a score before the pick 6. It was give and take, with the Bears gaining momentum.

And chewing the clock with half a quarter left isnt icing the game. Stop pretending the decision to actually move the ball, at that point in the game, was a bad decision.

I want to win too. I just realize there are more ways than 1 to do that.

Quote:
yeah, same thing happened last year. fool's gold. we beat a bunch of bad teams down the stretch again. rivera still pulled out the cover 4 for the saints. i don't see someone who will consistently put W's on the table.

"If he hasnt done it yet, he never will."

How's Cam Newton workin out for ya, big guy?

CK on the sig

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: