Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Bears Devin Hester considers retiring from NFL
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
steelcurtain29


Moderator
Joined: 04 Oct 2007
Posts: 35029
Location: Monongahela, PA
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BroncoBruin wrote:
Jaguarfan wrote:
Hall of famer?

He's a return specialist. Absolutely not.


He's arguably the greatest returner of all-time. He doesn't deserve the Hall of Fame at all because he's the best returner?

We have punters in the Hall of Fame, and their job is to give the ball away; why doesn't someone who can potentially score you a touchdown every chance he gets the ball get a chance at the Hall of Fame?
_________________
3DS Friend Code
4038-6129-7897
Pokemon X
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Vikefan79


Joined: 05 Apr 2005
Posts: 29761
Location: Atlanta
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

steelcurtain29 wrote:
BroncoBruin wrote:
Jaguarfan wrote:
Hall of famer?

He's a return specialist. Absolutely not.


He's arguably the greatest returner of all-time. He doesn't deserve the Hall of Fame at all because he's the best returner?

We have punters in the Hall of Fame, and their job is to give the ball away; why doesn't someone who can potentially score you a touchdown every chance he gets the ball get a chance at the Hall of Fame?


There are no punters in the HOF.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bungleodeon


Joined: 19 Mar 2009
Posts: 9317
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

steelcurtain29 wrote:
BroncoBruin wrote:
Jaguarfan wrote:
Hall of famer?

He's a return specialist. Absolutely not.


He's arguably the greatest returner of all-time. He doesn't deserve the Hall of Fame at all because he's the best returner?

We have punters in the Hall of Fame, and their job is to give the ball away; why doesn't someone who can potentially score you a touchdown every chance he gets the ball get a chance at the Hall of Fame?
go ahead and name the HoF Punters.
_________________
Adopt-a-Brown: Jabaal Sheard - Stats:
First 3 seasons: 135 Tackles - 21 Sacks - 7 FF - 2 FR - 9 PD - 11 STF
2014: 22 Tackles - 2 Sacks - 2 PD - 2 STF
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bungleodeon


Joined: 19 Mar 2009
Posts: 9317
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vikefan79 wrote:
steelcurtain29 wrote:
BroncoBruin wrote:
Jaguarfan wrote:
Hall of famer?

He's a return specialist. Absolutely not.


He's arguably the greatest returner of all-time. He doesn't deserve the Hall of Fame at all because he's the best returner?

We have punters in the Hall of Fame, and their job is to give the ball away; why doesn't someone who can potentially score you a touchdown every chance he gets the ball get a chance at the Hall of Fame?


There are no punters in the HOF.
Yale Lary was a punter and is the HoF, so technically you are wrong. Sure he was also a safety and a return man, but he was a punter and a HoFer.
_________________
Adopt-a-Brown: Jabaal Sheard - Stats:
First 3 seasons: 135 Tackles - 21 Sacks - 7 FF - 2 FR - 9 PD - 11 STF
2014: 22 Tackles - 2 Sacks - 2 PD - 2 STF
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Vikefan79


Joined: 05 Apr 2005
Posts: 29761
Location: Atlanta
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bungleodeon wrote:
Vikefan79 wrote:
steelcurtain29 wrote:
BroncoBruin wrote:
Jaguarfan wrote:
Hall of famer?

He's a return specialist. Absolutely not.


He's arguably the greatest returner of all-time. He doesn't deserve the Hall of Fame at all because he's the best returner?

We have punters in the Hall of Fame, and their job is to give the ball away; why doesn't someone who can potentially score you a touchdown every chance he gets the ball get a chance at the Hall of Fame?


There are no punters in the HOF.
Yale Lary was a punter and is the HoF, so technically you are wrong. Sure he was also a safety and a return man, but he was a punter and a HoFer.


Rolling Eyes

It wasn't his punting that got him in the HOF. Punting was just something else he did.

How many Punters are in the HOF because they were great punters?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bungleodeon


Joined: 19 Mar 2009
Posts: 9317
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vikefan79 wrote:
bungleodeon wrote:
Vikefan79 wrote:
steelcurtain29 wrote:
BroncoBruin wrote:
Jaguarfan wrote:
Hall of famer?

He's a return specialist. Absolutely not.


He's arguably the greatest returner of all-time. He doesn't deserve the Hall of Fame at all because he's the best returner?

We have punters in the Hall of Fame, and their job is to give the ball away; why doesn't someone who can potentially score you a touchdown every chance he gets the ball get a chance at the Hall of Fame?


There are no punters in the HOF.
Yale Lary was a punter and is the HoF, so technically you are wrong. Sure he was also a safety and a return man, but he was a punter and a HoFer.


Rolling Eyes

It wasn't his punting that got him in the HOF. Punting was just something else he did.

How many Punters are in the HOF because they were great punters?
He was a great punter though. I mean, you could just admit that you were wrong and be done with this.

the HoF website certainly points out that his punting was a part of his enshrinement

Quote:
Detroit Lions fans recall Yale Lary in many different ways. Some remember him as a superb right safety, a key cog in Detroit's fearsome defensive platoon in the 1950s and 1960s. Others will tell you he was one of history's truly great punters.

_________________
Adopt-a-Brown: Jabaal Sheard - Stats:
First 3 seasons: 135 Tackles - 21 Sacks - 7 FF - 2 FR - 9 PD - 11 STF
2014: 22 Tackles - 2 Sacks - 2 PD - 2 STF
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Vikefan79


Joined: 05 Apr 2005
Posts: 29761
Location: Atlanta
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bungleodeon wrote:
He was a great punter though. I mean, you could just admit that you were wrong and be done with this.

the HoF website certainly points out that his punting was a part of his enshrinement

Quote:
Detroit Lions fans recall Yale Lary in many different ways. Some remember him as a superb right safety, a key cog in Detroit's fearsome defensive platoon in the 1950s and 1960s. Others will tell you he was one of history's truly great punters.



He was so great that the Pro Football Hall Of Fame doesn't even list the position on their website.

http://www.profootballhof.com/hof/positions.aspx
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bungleodeon


Joined: 19 Mar 2009
Posts: 9317
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vikefan79 wrote:
bungleodeon wrote:
He was a great punter though. I mean, you could just admit that you were wrong and be done with this.

the HoF website certainly points out that his punting was a part of his enshrinement

Quote:
Detroit Lions fans recall Yale Lary in many different ways. Some remember him as a superb right safety, a key cog in Detroit's fearsome defensive platoon in the 1950s and 1960s. Others will tell you he was one of history's truly great punters.



He was so great that the Pro Football Hall Of Fame doesn't even list the position on their website.

http://www.profootballhof.com/hof/positions.aspx
I'm not arguing that he was inducted as a punter or because he was a punter, but he was a punter and what you said

Quote:
There are no punters in the HOF.
is wrong. I even said it was only "technically" wrong, but you just can't admit it, which is pretty funny given this is a message forum and you just can't admit a simple mistake.

Here's a simple set of questions for you to answer:

Was Yale Lary a Punter?
Yes/No

Is Yale Lary in the HoF?
Yes/No

Are there any punters in the Hall of Fame?
Yes/No
_________________
Adopt-a-Brown: Jabaal Sheard - Stats:
First 3 seasons: 135 Tackles - 21 Sacks - 7 FF - 2 FR - 9 PD - 11 STF
2014: 22 Tackles - 2 Sacks - 2 PD - 2 STF


Last edited by bungleodeon on Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:00 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Vikefan79


Joined: 05 Apr 2005
Posts: 29761
Location: Atlanta
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bungleodeon wrote:
Vikefan79 wrote:
bungleodeon wrote:
He was a great punter though. I mean, you could just admit that you were wrong and be done with this.

the HoF website certainly points out that his punting was a part of his enshrinement

Quote:
Detroit Lions fans recall Yale Lary in many different ways. Some remember him as a superb right safety, a key cog in Detroit's fearsome defensive platoon in the 1950s and 1960s. Others will tell you he was one of history's truly great punters.



He was so great that the Pro Football Hall Of Fame doesn't even list the position on their website.

http://www.profootballhof.com/hof/positions.aspx
I'm not arguing that he was inducted as a punter or because he was a punter, but he was a punter and what you said

Quote:
There are no punters in the HOF.
is wrong. I even said it was only "technically" wrong, but you just can't admit it, which is pretty funny given this is a message forum and you just can't admit a simple mistake.


You win. Now go find another thread you can debate technicalities in and annoy everyone.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
vikingsrule


Moderator
Joined: 15 Nov 2005
Posts: 48033
Location: Land of 10,000 Lakes!
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fine, technically a Punter is in the HOF.

But what else did Hester do outside of special teams to deserve a hall of fame spot? Nothing. Hester was purely a special teams teams player, therefore, he doesnt deserve to be in the hall.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bad meets Evil


Joined: 23 Sep 2011
Posts: 1652
Location: Duval
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bungleodeon wrote:
steelcurtain29 wrote:
BroncoBruin wrote:
Jaguarfan wrote:
Hall of famer?

He's a return specialist. Absolutely not.


He's arguably the greatest returner of all-time. He doesn't deserve the Hall of Fame at all because he's the best returner?

We have punters in the Hall of Fame, and their job is to give the ball away; why doesn't someone who can potentially score you a touchdown every chance he gets the ball get a chance at the Hall of Fame?
go ahead and name the HoF Punters.


Bryan Anger.
_________________

Credit to IPwn for da sig
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
pigsooie5


Joined: 17 Nov 2007
Posts: 4170
Location: Albuquerque, New Mexico
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was speculation on whether or not Hester was going to be released in The offseason. He has clearly lost all mojo he once had in the return game... So unfortunate. He brought some of the best memories I have as a Bears fan, but really his time is done in Chicago, and could be done in the NfL all together.
_________________

BEARS------BULLS------DODGERS------KINGS
Adopt-A-Bear: Kyle Long, Guard
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
[UMN]


Joined: 13 Nov 2007
Posts: 13303
Location: Desolation Row
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Hester continued his production for 10+ years, absolutely he should have been in the HOF.

Unfortunately he flamed out very quickly. He won't even sniff the Hall.
_________________
From the fool’s gold mouthpiece the hollow horn,
Plays wasted words, proves to warn,
That he not busy being born is busy dying.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
justwinbaby81


Joined: 04 Jan 2007
Posts: 3811
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom Brady punted the football once. I can't wait for him to be the next great punter in the Hall of Fame.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Tom Shean


Joined: 10 Oct 2012
Posts: 4740
Location: Tha 703
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
Fine, technically a Punter is in the HOF.

But what else did Hester do outside of special teams to deserve a hall of fame spot? Nothing. Hester was purely a special teams teams player, therefore, he doesnt deserve to be in the hall.

Special teams is an entire third of the game. It's ridiculous that there aren't any pure punters and only one kicker in the HoF.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group