Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Dalunatic16's Offseason Mock
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Dalunatic16


Joined: 31 Dec 2012
Posts: 60
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:16 am    Post subject: Dalunatic16's Offseason Mock Reply with quote

I'm 20 years old and even though I am from California, I've been a die hard Dolphins fan for as long as I can remember. Let me know what you guys think of my mock offseason.

The Cap Situation
I looked at the Dolphins current roster and then went through Spotrac to find each players cap hit for the 2013 season. These are the players currently under contract:

QB: Ryan Tannehill
RB: Lamar Miller, Daniel Thomas, Jonas Gray, Jorvorskie Lane
WR: Davone Bess, Armon Binns, Rishard Matthews
TE: Charles Clay, Michael Egnew, Kyle Miller
OL: Mike Pouncey, Jonathan Matin, John Jerry, Richie Incognito, Josh Samuda, Will Yeatman.

DL: Cam Wake,Jared Odrick, Olivier Vernon, Derrick Shelby, Paul Soliai, Kheeston Randall
LB: Karlos Dansby, Kevin Burnett, Koa Misi, Josh Kaddu, Jason Trusnik
CB: Dimitri Patterson, Nolan Carrol, Richard Marshall, Jimmy Wilson
S: Reshad Jones, Kelcie Mccray

ST: Dan Carpenter, Brandon Fields, John Denney

The total cap hit from the 37 players listed above is 73,323,866. We have 1.5 mil in dead money which makes our cap hit now 74,823,866. The Dolphins, however, have 6 mil to rollover on top of the estimated 121 mil cap limit giving us a cap space of 52,176,134.

Re-signing Period
These numbers will just be rounded estimates on the players cap hit.

CUTS:
Richard Marshall-We will save 3,433,333 by doing so. To me he looked terrible in the small amount that he played.

Dan Carpenter- Save 2,700,000. We sacrifice power for accuracy.

Kyle Miller- Not needed, saves 480,000

Kelcie McCray- Not needed, saves 480,000

Armon Binns- Stone hands? I know he didn't play much but he squandered his opportunities. Saves 480,000

Dimitri Patterson- He won't be cut but his deal will be restructured to just a 3 mil cap hit instead of 5.6 mil.

We save 10,173,333 in the process to give us a total cap space of 62,349,467.

Re-signees
Pat Devlin(.75mil)- Wil take on back up role, gets paid more for it.

Reggie Bush(3.75)- Takes a paycut to stay in Miami. He wants to pay here, loves Philbin, and we need as many playmakers as we can get.

Marcus Thigpen(.75mil)- Pretty good return man, gets a raise.

Brian Hartline(4mil)- Put together a very good season considering he was usually covered by teams best CB. Very reliable #2 reciever, could be even better with some attention pulled away from him.

Anthony Fasano(2mil)- He won't be expensive. Our best blocking TE. Good hands. Keep him but in a lesser role.

Randy Starks(6.5mil)- Pretty close to what Soliai recieved. I think we sign him now and let Soliai walk next year. This allows Odrick to slide in at DT full time.

Tony Mcdaniel(2mil)- Very good back up who does his job and gives Soliai and Starks breathers.

Sean Smith(10.5mil)- I know it's expensive but I think we Tag him. He has all the potential to be great. He was inconsistent though, and we give him this year to prove otherwise. He does great with bigger reciever's but struggles with smaller quicker opponents. If we put a quick Cb opposite of him to take the quicker recievers, I think it could really help him out.

Bryan McCann(.48mil)- gets minimum contract. Special Team player and depth. Played hard and scrappy when he was in.

Chris Clemons(2.5mil)- He's not terrible, but can easily be upgraded. He doesn't make too many mistakes. Maybe Ed Reed is available, who knows.

Tyrone Culver(.48mil)- Minimum contract. Special teams and depth.

Nate Kaeding(1.5mil)- We cut Carpenter for the more accurate and cheaper Kaeding.

Let Walk
Matt Moore- I would love to keep him, but I think he leaves for a starting role somewhere else and I wish him the best.

Marlon Moore- Just hasn't shown enough over the last couple years. Even with the lack of playmakers he didn't receive much playing time.

Jake Long- Cost too much to keep, too much to tag. Becoming injury plagued and wasn't even remotely close to what he was this year. We move on, it was good while it lasted.

Jeron Mastrud
Nate Garner
Patrick Brown
Jonathan Freeny
Austin Spitler
RJ Stanford
Julian Posey
Jonathon Amaya

Remaining Cap Space: 27,139,467

Free Agency
WR Greg Jennings(8.25mil)- Comes to Miami with a pay raise. I assume Wallace stays in Pittsburgh and Jennings is more consistent than Bowe and cheaper. Jennings knows the WCO and should excel.

TE Jared Cook(4mil)- Apparently doesn't want to stay in Tennessee after requesting a trade this year. Pay raise and starting position in sunny miami, florida? Becomes the tight end that can stretch the middle of field we've been needing.

LG Andy Levitre (4.5mil)- Upgrade over Jerry and lets Incognito slide back to RG.

Remaining Cap Space: 10,389,467

The Draft
The thing I like about this upcoming draft is that there is numerous athletes that we can draft in the positions we need in any order. Especially with 5 picks in the first 3 rounds.

Round 1 - Johnthan Banks CB, Miss. St.
I doubt Dee Milliner drops here.Since we got a couple of offensive players in free agency, it eliminates the need to draft a TE or reach for a WR with the 12th pick. I don't think any of this years recievers are even worth the 12th selection. Another guy we can get here is Xavier Rhodes the CB from FSU. I like Banks a little more though. From what I've seen, the kid has very good play recognition. Because of this he is great in run suport, he can stop opponents from bouncing it outside. He isn't afraid of contact either. He will try and strip the ball. Very good press CB. We need more playmakers on defense.

Round 2a - Cordarelle Patterson WR, Tennessee
Jennings allows us to wait on a receiver and Patterson could be it. 6'3 and runs in the 4.4's. Has the strength to release and great on jump balls. If he gets the ball in his hands he is a threat to take it to the house. Scouts say his route running isn't where it should be. That's ok to me because for his first year in the league he won't be running difficult routes. Streaks and posts while he learns from good route runners in Bess,Hartline and Jennings. Also throw him some screens to see if he can break one. He won't be a starter but will see significant playing time.

Round 2b - Lane Johnson OT, Oklahoma
With Long gone we need another T. Martin was decent and the LT position but as we all saw, wasn't strong enough. Lane is a 6'7, 303 pound beast who plays hard. Unless Martin gets noticeably stronger, Lane can play the LT position and hold it down and allow Martin to go back to RT.

Round 3a - Brandon Jenkins DE, Florida St.
This man is why I held out on drafting a DE in the first round. If it weren't for an injury that ended his year, he would be another DE taken in round 1. He is exactly what we are looking for. A pure speed edge rusher. Isn't as good against the run but I think he comes in on obvious passing situations while he learns. After watching some gameplay,I think that if it weren't for Werner on the opposite side of him he would have more sacks. Werner would just barely beat him to the QB. We get first round talent in the 3rd.

Round 3b - Baccari Rambo FS, Georgia
Hey we already have one good safety from Georgia. This guy gives us another playmaker on defense. Very similar size to Reshad Jones, almost exact. I actually think he is a pretty good clone of Jones. Can you imagine two Reshad Jones roaming the field? Rambo can play up in the box but I think he should be back in coverage more often than not. He racked up 16 interceptions in his college career. He will also get to you and hack at the football to get it loose. And with a name like Rambo? Cmon now.

Round 4 - Shayne Skov ILB, Stanford
I think he falls to the 4th and that's good for us. He has a reputation for stepping up for big games, this man is a tackling machine. I liked what I saw after watching Stanford's game today. Plays fast and has an ideal body to be a linebacker. Can drop back into coverage quickly. Good play recognition. Could ultimately be a successor to Burnett/Dansby.

Round 5 - Tyrann Matheiu CB, LSU
No telling where he might go. I say we take the chance and take him in the 5th round. Once highly thought of. A bit undersized but he plays bigger. We knew coming in that we needed secondary help and with every need fulfilled why not? He can be a serviceable dime back and special teams player if anything. If it doesn't work out and he shows more off-field issues, hey he was just a low draft pick.

Round 6 - Zac Dysert QB/EJ Manuel QB/Landry Jones QB
One if not all 3 are still here. We need a 3rd string QB and any one of these guys can be serviceable. I would take them in that order listed.

Round 7a,7b- Best Avaiable
You never really know what you can get at this point. I think we just take the best available to see if they are worth while. Maybe Another LB and WR at this point.

Depth Chart

QB: Ryan Tannehill-Pat Devlin-Zac Dysert
RB: Reggie Bush-Lamar Miller-Daniel Thomas-Marcus Thigpen
FB: Jorvorskie Lane-Charles Clay
TE: Jared Cook-Anthony Fasano-Charles Clay
WR1: Greg Jennings-Davone Bess
WR2: Brian Hartline-Cordarelle Patterson-Rishard Matthews
LT: Lane Johnson-Will Yeatman
LG: Andy Levitre-John Jerry
C: Mike Pouncey-Josh Samuda
RG: Richie Incognito-John Jerry
RT: Jonathan Martin-John Jerry

RE:Cam Wake-Brandon Jenkins
LE:Jared Odrick-Brandon Jenkins-Derrick Shelby
DT: Randy Starks-Paul Soliai-Tony Mcdaniel-Kheeston Randall
LOLB: Koa Misi-Olivier Vernon-Josh Kaddu
MLB: Karlos Dansby-Shayne Skov
ROLB: Kevin Burnett-Jason Trusnik
CB1: Sean Smith-Tyrann Matheiu
CB2: Johnthan Banks-Dimitri Patterson-Nolan Carrol
FS: Bacarri Rambo-Chris Clemons- Tyrone Culver
SS: Reshad Jones-Chris Clemons-Jimmy Wilson

LS:John Denney
K: Nate Kaeding
P: Brandon Fields
KR: Marcus Thigpen
PR: Marcus Thigpen

Blue=FA
Red=Rookies
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
green4gulf


Joined: 06 Jan 2006
Posts: 2276
Location: TN, by way of Palm Beach FL
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love your draft. I know a lot of posters here feel we must have a DE in round 1, and I'm not against that, but I'd way rather have a CB looking at this years draft. Both fill a position of need, but it's a very talented class of DE's and while there's strong CB talent at the top of the draft, there's a huge talent drop after the CB's that will go in the 1st round IMO.

Prior to injury I still saw Brandon Jenkins as a better pass rusher than Werner, so I like the pick if he's still on the board there. Same goes for the Honey Badger, despite his past drug use he's a turnover making machine.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ProudDolphan47


Moderator
Joined: 07 Dec 2007
Posts: 5626
Location: Lancaster, PA
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This offseason would be pretty stellar. With that said, I think you are a little gracious on how far these players in the draft will fall. When in doubt, round up...don't round down. I don't see Patterson in the 2nd. I don't see Jenkins as a 3rd, I don't see Skov as a 4th or Matheiu as a 5th. Round them each up one round if you realistically want to get them all!
_________________
-Proud 2011 Inductee to FF's Miami Dolphins RoH

Warpticon wrote:
I think Mike Wallace made a mistake because *throws turd at wall*
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DOLFAN016


Joined: 20 Mar 2007
Posts: 651
Location: Central Pennsylvania
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love it. Fills most of our needs in one offseason. Jenkins is somebody even though I'm a fan of The U that I really like. He is built exactly like Cam and getting him in the third round would be a steal. Obviously this draft does fill all needs, which rarely ever happens. If it were to happen though, I don't see how anybody could be mad at Jeff Ireland after it. I was going to suggest looking at Jermichael Finley in the offseason, but Cook is more of an athlete, will be cheaper, and I think he just needs a change of scenery. He could become one of the best TEs in the league if he joined our offense. Last, but not least. I LOVE the Patterson pick! He's a guy that I think will blow up at the combine and could possibly go in the first round. He is a true playmaker and I would love to have him teaming up with Jennings and having Hartline as a #3 WR is very scary!


And BTW....welcome to the site bud! Good to have ya...FINS UP!
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Deets


Moderator
Joined: 16 Oct 2004
Posts: 12777
Location: Red Sox Nation
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ProudDolphan47 wrote:
This offseason would be pretty stellar. With that said, I think you are a little gracious on how far these players in the draft will fall. When in doubt, round up...don't round down. I don't see Patterson in the 2nd. I don't see Jenkins as a 3rd, I don't see Skov as a 4th or Matheiu as a 5th. Round them each up one round if you realistically want to get them all!


I agree. Patterson and Matheiu are guys I truly covet but Patterson is going to be a first rounder and Matheiu will probably be a mid to late third or a fourth. I would definitely take Matheiu with our second third and i would use our first on Patterson. I like your choice of cuts, nothing like clearing up some wasted money.
_________________

FF Member #67


Last edited by Deets on Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:50 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ProudDolphan47


Moderator
Joined: 07 Dec 2007
Posts: 5626
Location: Lancaster, PA
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PS. For your first post, this is a wonderfully written piece. Welcome to the forums and if there is anything you have questions of, please feel free to send me a PM.
_________________
-Proud 2011 Inductee to FF's Miami Dolphins RoH

Warpticon wrote:
I think Mike Wallace made a mistake because *throws turd at wall*
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DOLFAN016


Joined: 20 Mar 2007
Posts: 651
Location: Central Pennsylvania
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deets wrote:
ProudDolphan47 wrote:
This offseason would be pretty stellar. With that said, I think you are a little gracious on how far these players in the draft will fall. When in doubt, round up...don't round down. I don't see Patterson in the 2nd. I don't see Jenkins as a 3rd, I don't see Skov as a 4th or Matheiu as a 5th. Round them each up one round if you realistically want to get them all!


I agree. Patterson and Matheiu are guys I truly covet but Patterson is going to be a first rounder and Matheiu will probably be a mid to late third or a fourth. I would definitely take Matheiu with our second third and i would use our first on Patterson.


We could do that and just swap the second round pick that he has listed to pickup a CB in the second like Trufant or Amerson. Works out perfectly. Patterson I feel is definitely worth the 12th pick and a better overall WR than his teammate, Justin Hunter. However, if Nuke Hopkins delcared I would give him a look too. He went off in his bowl game and fits our scheme as well.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Maddogg


Joined: 29 Mar 2007
Posts: 1760
Location: A Galaxy Far Far Away......
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI - Anyone doing a Mock Draft - No 6th rounder for Vontae Davis he didn't meet the conditional clause.
_________________



Jared Odrick 2014 Adopt A Player : Games - 7, Tackles 8 Assists 3 Sacks 1 Forced Fumbles 1

Joe Philbin Death Watch - After Week 7 : Death 24 Joe 24
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
phins72


Joined: 17 Dec 2012
Posts: 70
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if this really happened dolphins would finally be in playoffs ! Very Happy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mountainpd


Joined: 21 Mar 2010
Posts: 2591
Location: Fareham, UK
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good read.

Like a lot of the picks and the free agent picks ups are exactly what we need Wallace over Jennings and really want us to pursue Derek Cox but I suppose the other 31 teams may not let us have all the free agents.

I think a lot of the players you have picked will go slightly higher than they do in this mock but nothing outrageous. Would love Phillip Thomas over Rambo but again I think he goes higher.
_________________


^^^Kempes^^^
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger
SUG


Joined: 15 May 2007
Posts: 6814
Location: Alameda, Ca
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Dalunatic, well done !

Is there any other LT of higher caliber we should look at sooner.
To me nothing is more imp in the upcoming draft than replacing J. Long.

nothing
sug
_________________
# 52
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Dalunatic16


Joined: 31 Dec 2012
Posts: 60
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the welcome guys.

ProudDolphan47 wrote:
This offseason would be pretty stellar. With that said, I think you are a little gracious on how far these players in the draft will fall. When in doubt, round up...don't round down. I don't see Patterson in the 2nd. I don't see Jenkins as a 3rd, I don't see Skov as a 4th or Matheiu as a 5th. Round them each up one round if you realistically want to get them all!

Deets wrote:
I agree. Patterson and Matheiu are guys I truly covet but Patterson is going to be a first rounder and Matheiu will probably be a mid to late third or a fourth. I would definitely take Matheiu with our second third and i would use our first on Patterson. I like your choice of cuts, nothing like clearing up some wasted money.


We can always trade down to a later first, and hopefully the team throws in this years 2nd or 3rd along with it. Patterson in the first. All the other picks move up a round and we take Jordan Poyer CB or Desmond Trufant CB with the extra pick.

SUG wrote:
Welcome Dalunatic, well done !

Is there any other LT of higher caliber we should look at sooner.
To me nothing is more imp in the upcoming draft than replacing J. Long.

nothing
sug


That's why I ike this draft, we can choose any position of need and fill it in any order of the draft. If we decide to replace Long first we should go with Long's replica in Taylor Lewan. Joeckel will most likely be off the board. Then we can still get good athletes in Terrance Williams WR and Jordan Poyer CB in the 2nd. However we go about it. Our 1st 3 picks should all have an immediate impact.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SUG


Joined: 15 May 2007
Posts: 6814
Location: Alameda, Ca
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dalunatic16 wrote:
Thanks for the welcome guys.

ProudDolphan47 wrote:
This offseason would be pretty stellar. With that said, I think you are a little gracious on how far these players in the draft will fall. When in doubt, round up...don't round down. I don't see Patterson in the 2nd. I don't see Jenkins as a 3rd, I don't see Skov as a 4th or Matheiu as a 5th. Round them each up one round if you realistically want to get them all!

Deets wrote:
I agree. Patterson and Matheiu are guys I truly covet but Patterson is going to be a first rounder and Matheiu will probably be a mid to late third or a fourth. I would definitely take Matheiu with our second third and i would use our first on Patterson. I like your choice of cuts, nothing like clearing up some wasted money.


We can always trade down to a later first, and hopefully the team throws in this years 2nd or 3rd along with it. Patterson in the first. All the other picks move up a round and we take Jordan Poyer CB or Desmond Trufant CB with the extra pick.

SUG wrote:
Welcome Dalunatic, well done !

Is there any other LT of higher caliber we should look at sooner.
To me nothing is more imp in the upcoming draft than replacing J. Long.

nothing
sug


That's why I ike this draft, we can choose any position of need and fill it in any order of the draft. If we decide to replace Long first we should go with Long's replica in Taylor Lewan. Joeckel will most likely be off the board. Then we can still get good athletes in Terrance Williams WR and Jordan Poyer CB in the 2nd. However we go about it. Our 1st 3 picks should all have an immediate impact.


As my ex mother in law used to say "from your lips to Gods ears".

Question:
why would/should we put drafting a CB ahead of a pass rusher ...?
And for that matter - why re sign S. Smith...?
Any avg CB can do a decent job back there with a counter part to C. Wake.

sug
_________________
# 52
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Dalunatic16


Joined: 31 Dec 2012
Posts: 60
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SUG wrote:

Question:
why would/should we put drafting a CB ahead of a pass rusher ...?
And for that matter - why re sign S. Smith...?
Any avg CB can do a decent job back there with a counter part to C. Wake.

sug


I think our lack of secondary help is worse than our pass rush. Odrick and Vernon combined for 8.5 sacks. Not that bad. Our team total was 42 which ranked 7th in the league. Compared to being 27th in interceptions.

Smith is a big physical guy who can play close man to man and press coverage. He would get lost when in zone. Now if we put another CB on the other side who can do the same like Johnthan Banks and Dimitri on the slot, Coyle can have them all press and give our pass rush that extra second to get there.

Brandon Jenkins is a 1st round athlete. An Injury made him fall.So I'm not sure we're putting a pass rusher behind a CB. We are lucky enough to get him with a later pick.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SUG


Joined: 15 May 2007
Posts: 6814
Location: Alameda, Ca
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dalunatic16 wrote:
SUG wrote:

Question:
why would/should we put drafting a CB ahead of a pass rusher ...?
And for that matter - why re sign S. Smith...?
Any avg CB can do a decent job back there with a counter part to C. Wake.

sug


I think our lack of secondary help is worse than our pass rush. Odrick and Vernon combined for 8.5 sacks. Not that bad. Our team total was 42 which ranked 7th in the league. Compared to being 27th in interceptions.

Smith is a big physical guy who can play close man to man and press coverage. He would get lost when in zone. Now if we put another CB on the other side who can do the same like Johnthan Banks and Dimitri on the slot, Coyle can have them all press and give our pass rush that extra second to get there.

Brandon Jenkins is a 1st round athlete. An Injury made him fall.So I'm not sure we're putting a pass rusher behind a CB. We are lucky enough to get him with a later pick.


If we were still in the 3/4 Deff with 80 -90% man/press I would agree.
But as is if Cam Wake go's down we have no pass rush.
We make it too easy for teams to prepare/scheme against our pass rush.
As for S. Smith, he looks lost out their 50% of the time from where I'm sitting & that's consistent with
the scouting reports coming out of college.
That's why Vontae is gone.

Now if you were to address a ballhawking FS well ... thats much more appealing a topic to me than a CB.

my 2 cents
sug
_________________
# 52
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group