Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Cap Situation
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Carolina Panthers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
iknowcool

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rjkilla wrote:
http://www.nfl.com/player/chrisgamble/2506101/profile

maybe you're going by the teams stats? i don't take those seriously because we all know teams inflate their players numbers. according to nfl.com he's only done it 3 times. 08, 09, and 2011. he's alright i guess but not what i want out of a #1 corner.

I'm going by what ESPN and PFR have him down as.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do we always end up in these F'ed up cap situations? Some teams have boatloads of extra cash to spend, while we have to make an already pathetic roster even worse.

I see no way we turn into a team ready to make a run for the playoffs next year when it looks like we're gonna need to cut 3-4 starters.

There's always, 2014 I guess.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shaX 07 wrote:
How do we always end up in these F'ed up cap situations? Some teams have boatloads of extra cash to spend, while we have to make an already pathetic roster even worse.

I see no way we turn into a team ready to make a run for the playoffs next year when it looks like we're gonna need to cut 3-4 starters.

There's always, 2014 I guess.

It's called "Marty Hurney Sucked at being GM."

Probably the primary reason he's gone now, we don't have any money to spend to sign key talent. Hurney was more interested in keeping fan favorites around rather than field a consistently successful team, i.e. Jake Delhomme and he also liked to sign players coming off huge injuries, i.e. Beason and signing older players to big contracts, i.e. Steve Smith.

We either talk to these vets and try to convince them to restructure to hang on and build a championship team; or we figure out cost effective ways to get rid of them. If we managed to have a really good draft this year, meaning getting 4-5 key contributes on the team; we can compete soon.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's not panic here. We are going to have to make some hard personnel decisions that we wouldn't necessarily otherwise make if not for the cap situation, but even if we do have to get rid of some major contributors on this team, we can still compete for the playoffs next year. We weren't that far from the playoffs this year and it isn't like the players we are going to potentially cut are players that play at incredibly difficult positions to fill.

RB: Tough because of it will be a bit hard to save much money by cutting or trading one of our players, but we'll still have a very capable backfield even after we do whatever we plan on doing here.

LB: Beason is great, but even without him, our LB core would be pretty good.

CB: Our CBs aren't great, but neither are they terrible despite their youth. Norman, Thomas, and Munnerlyn can get the job done if the pass rush continues to perform like it did late in the season.

Those are the three positions that we can utilize to cut quite a bit of cap room, and we'll be OK if we do what has to be done. In fact, I'm confident enough in what would remain on the roster at that point that I wouldn't worry about trying to replace those people early in the draft. I would go OL and DL all the way. Strengthening those would more than make up for losses at the other positions.

Rich7sena wrote:
Someone's going HAM on the button in Buffalo Wild Wings.
Moody

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fraziafraze07 wrote:

Those are the three positions that we can utilize to cut quite a bit of cap room, and we'll be OK if we do what has to be done. In fact, I'm confident enough in what would remain on the roster at that point that I wouldn't worry about trying to replace those people early in the draft. I would go OL and DL all the way. Strengthening those would more than make up for losses at the other positions.

I don't want to pay Beason MLB money to play two downs and take on blockers. He's really not that type of player. We don't have to replace them instantly, but Daryl Smith would probably be cheaper and healthier. Same goes for Quentin Jammer and Gamble.

The next GM can't simply put all our money in the linebackers and runningbacks. Those positions have proven how completely helpless they are without good line play.

The better the lines are the easier we can get by with cost effective players at SOLB and RB. I'd much rather have my money in some good corners and receivers.
davlar

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The cap situation is a mess and that is something that the new GM will have to deal with for not one, but a couple of seasons. Smarter decisions need to be made to ensure this doesn't happen again.

To weigh in on the Gamble debate, I think we have no choice but to cut him. His cap number is a bit too high to justify. I firmly believe that if we strengthen along the defensive line, our CB play will be masked by a good pass rush. Plus, the play of Josh Thomas and (at times) Josh Norman this season has been encouraging.

A cheap veteran option would work well, too.

Thanks to JammerHammer21 for the sig - Let The Riv-Era Begin!
HighPointNCKid

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a huge fan of Chris Gamble and even I say we should cut him, BUT I also say we should try and resign him. Neither Thomas nor Norman and especially not Munnerlyn can hold Gamble's jock! It would be a huge loss but there isnt 1 CB in the league worth $10M a year, not 1.
johnydtarheel

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would renegotiate Gamble, Gross and cut Beason, Edwards, and Naki.

Who is our #1 corner unless we draft one in first round. No money to go sign one.

Thanks CK
fretgod99

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnydtarheel wrote:

Who is our #1 corner unless we draft one in first round. No money to go sign one.
It'd likely end up being Munnerlyn in 2 WR sets, and he'd move inside when there's a slot receiver.

In other words, be afraid. Be very afraid.

Hopefully, Norman and Thomas can develop. Both played fairly well for younger guys, but definitely need to improve to cut it in the long run.

MrDrew wrote:
Can somebody give me a good reason there's not a giant statue to fret somewhere?
boondock

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fretgod99 wrote:
johnydtarheel wrote:

It'd likely end up being Munnerlyn in 2 WR sets, and he'd move inside when there's a slot receiver.

In other words, be afraid. Be very afraid.

Hopefully, Norman and Thomas can develop. Both played fairly well for younger guys, but definitely need to improve to cut it in the long run.

If we can improve safety play, which is a bigger liability than CB at this point; we can drastically help those young guys.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Carolina Panthers. The team carried over $3.654 million in cap space, but the situation remains a mess. With 56 players under contract, the Panthers are sitting at $131.7 million. There’s no doubt new general manager Dave Gettleman will attempt to restructure some contracts, but he’s going to have to release some veteran players just to get under the cap.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcsouth/post/_/id/44306/updated-2013-salary-cap-space

not as bad about 5 mill less than thought.

Thanks CK
catamount

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is what I would do:(estimated cap savings)
Cut Gamble....................................................$8 million
Cut G. Williams, Nakamura, R. Edwards, Onatalu....$6 million
Restructure Beason, Gross................................$6 million

Total Below Cap.............................................$8 million

Cut D. Williams June 1, pay draft picks w/savings..$3.5 million

With the $8 million, sign a free agent RG and DT.

Draft: LT (eventually move Gross to RT), WR, CB, G, DT, TE
catamount

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnydtarheel wrote:

If i am not mistaken, cutting Beason would not save $$$, it would cost us a ton. Besides, he is good enough to start on the outside. At 28 or so, a good season might give him valie.

Gamble is a 30 year old CB and DWill is a 30-year old RB. Gamble is being paid like a pro bowler, something he never has been. I would be shocked if either is on the team by June 2.

Beason may be interested in reworking his deal to make him more appealing to other teams needing a MLB or he may decide staying here is best for him. As a smallish MLB, he takes a beating. As an OLB, he can play a few more years. He will not be the pro bowler he was in the middle, but Davis, Beason, Anderson, and Kuechly is a very awesome set of LBs--three first rounders and a third should be awesome.
james.mcmurry13

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

catamount wrote:
Draft: LT (eventually move Gross to RT), WR, CB, G, DT, TE

I'd switch G to RB. Especially if we sign a guard in free agency. I think guys like Byers and Austin showed enough the end of the year to be considered good backups at those positions.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you think a fair trade for Beason would envolve. Say to the giants. You're new gm would have an inside track on a lot of their young under utilized players. They need a MLB.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Carolina Panthers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: