Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Chiefs fire GM Scott Pioli
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
EliteTexan80

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shawn wrote:
I'm shocked it took them this long, I thought he would be gone Monday at 12:01AM.

where does he go from here? back to New England maybe?

Thomas Dimitrioff has a good thing going in Atlanta, so mayhaps he throws his old buddy a gig? Or, maybe one of the networks? NFL Network missed out on the Ray Lewis sweepstakes, might as well bring in a man who is largely tied to a lot of what New England has done in the last decade...

vike daddy wrote:
EliteTexan80 wrote:
I wanna be a mod.

vastly over rated.
scar988

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EliteTexan80 wrote:
shawn wrote:
I'm shocked it took them this long, I thought he would be gone Monday at 12:01AM.

Thomas Dimitrioff has a good thing going in Atlanta, so mayhaps he throws his old buddy a gig? Or, maybe one of the networks? NFL Network missed out on the Ray Lewis sweepstakes, might as well bring in a man who is largely tied to a lot of what New England has done in the last decade...

Comrade could easily hire Pioli as a director of player personel if they lose Dave Caldwell. wouldn't shock me one bit.

Dirty Bird Watch: DL Jonathan Babineaux
goldfishwars

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like The War Room needs another chapter in it...
goldfishwars

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome back in New England in any capacity.
nicfre2011

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scar988 wrote:
EliteTexan80 wrote:
shawn wrote:

Comrade could easily hire Pioli as a director of player personel if they lose Dave Caldwell. wouldn't shock me one bit.

It seems like the Falcons have a pretty good front office, if Pioli will have little to no interaction with players or other front office personnel it might work. Maybe they can hire him to make sure the office floor is clear of any discarded candy wrappers.

I would hate to see the Atlanta front office become like a CIA field office.

Thanks to ryknowssd for the sig!

Trent Baalke for 2013 NFL executive of the year.
simonwayne

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think director of player personnel is a perfect job for Pioli and for whichever team would have him at that position. If he goes to a team like Atlanta, he may be there a few years and then possibly get another chance at being a GM for some team. I think he'd be great in a role where his power is limited. If any team is considering giving Pioli a GM interview right now (strongly doubt it), I'd really warn them. The guy ran our organization mafia style and let his ego/allegiances to all things New England get in the way of building the best team possible.
Babylon

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking at Pioli's drafts now, I'm not sure he really deserves a job anywhere. Most of the talent on that team was drafted by the previous regime and are in their primes now, and a quick look makes me think the previous GM might've gotten comparable talent out of his last draft, 2008, then Pioli has found in the following 4 drafts.
nicfre2011

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Babylon wrote:
Looking at Pioli's drafts now, I'm not sure he really deserves a job anywhere. Most of the talent on that team was drafted by the previous regime and are in their primes now, and a quick look makes me think the previous GM might've gotten comparable talent out of his last draft, 2008, then Pioli has found in the following 4 drafts.

I was never a fan of the Jackson pick and clearly remember shouting WTF after the pick was announced. Shortly before the draft started there were reports that the Chiefs liked Jackson but I didn't think they would grab him at #3. I remember at the time not really wanting to see the defense go from the 4-3 to 3-4 but after hearing Pioli talk about making the switch, I wanted B.J. Raji as the #1 option and Brian Orakpo as the #2 option for our first pick. I thought both brought more positional value from a standpoint of moving from the 4-3 to 3-4. Raji because we had no projectable 3-4 DE or NT and Orakpo because we only had Hali and it was far from a known quantity that he would transition successfully.

Eric Berry was a no-brainer and the only credit I can give Pioli is he actually made the pick. IMO his impact has been limited by the way he has been used by Crennel. I would much rather see him used as a rangy, centerfielder-type of safety as opposed to essentially an undersized linebacker. He is much better moving forward and seeing the play develop and attacking as opposed to hanging around 5 yards back and/or with his back to the ball in man coverage constantly.

Jonathan Baldwin was a reach and his character questions flew in the face of the "right 53" mantra Pioli kept talking about. I, along with other posters liked Torrey Smith, who not only was known for his high character and work ethic but also IMO was a better fit for what we needed (deep threat to stretch the field). I think the Baldwin pick was Pioli's attempt to potentially move on from Bowe. I hope Baldwin can take the next step.

Dontari Poe was a decent surprise when the pick was announced. Pioli realized he didn't have a legitimate long term solution at 3-4 NT. All things considered, Poe did a good job holding the point - especially considering the fact that he was coming into the league from Memphis and everyone talked about how raw he was. He has a ways to go to realize his potential, but has shown flashes.

These are just the first round picks. His best overall hit appears to be Justin Houston in round 3. Houston was a beast - I liked him for our first round pick. When he had the failed drug test he dropped. He was an absolute steal in round 3 and appears to have put some of the character issues behind him.

Babylon

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, that's just my general response because of the whole "five pro bowlers thing". Then you realize he only drafted one of those guys (Berry), and it's a big 'oh' moment.
nicfre2011

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of my biggest issues with Pioli is his treatment of the established veterans on the team when he took over. Now, Gonzalez had been talking about going to a contending team out of frustration during the GM Carl Peterson era. But when Pioli came into town from New England, it was obvious he wanted "his" hand-picked veteran leaders brought in from New England to establish a new lockerroom leadership. So he brought over Matt Cassel and Mike Vrabel. He failed to realize leadership is earned through experience and not just a label that can be placed on a player by choice.

By all accounts he never really put much effort into reaching out to Gonzalez to get him to buy into the direction of the organization and seemed more than satisfied to move Gonzalez and our other established veteran leader Brian Waters. I still remember Tony's return game this year (game 1) and how the announcers talked about Gonzalez coming to the stadium early to talk with stadium workers and others that he had relationships with. And when the camera panned to Gonzalez as he was walking through the tunnel, you could see he was choking up with emotion. This was obviously not a player that was demanding on being traded.

I think Pioli didn't want to jeopardize his installed leadership structure and was more than happy to part ways with our established leaders.

The problem with Pioli was he only knew one way of going about things and far too often tried to duplicate New England transactions and moves almost exactly. It's like he didn't have a clear direction as much as a line-by-line checklist that he followed religiously.

Sorry for the ranting, but I am glad to see this era end and a new one begin for our franchise. Pioli alienated alot of people in this organization not to mention an entire fanbase.

RainbowCarebear

Location: "Are you hungry, child?" Yes, she thought, but not for food.
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everywhere Chiefs fans is crying tears of happiness.

Hammertime52 wrote:
I laughed way too hard at this Laughing they talked about the Dane like Robert Downey Jr talked about The Hulk in The Avengers

"We have the Dallas forum"
"We have a Dane"
Rearviewmirror

Location: ^^Tamba waiting on his next feast in the Avy Ryk on the sig
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Babylon wrote:
Yeah, that's just my general response because of the whole "five pro bowlers thing". Then you realize he only drafted one of those guys (Berry), and it's a big 'oh' moment.

Yep all of our best players were Bill Kuharic/King Carl picks. Berry, Poe, and Houston are the only Pioli picks that have been very good IMO. 2 of those were obvious picks, and I think Romeo was the one infatuated with Poe. Kendrick Lewis is a good player for a 5th rounder, but he has problems staying on the field.

les paul wrote:
There's only one thing that determines a teams performance on any given sunday
Their opponent-

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: