Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Lovie Smith to Interview in San Diego
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
topwop1

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bigbadbuff23835 wrote:
Why does this get its own thread? it's an interview. He's interviewing with Buffalo too.

Because some Bears fans have a man crush on Lovie and are [REMOVED BY MODERATOR] to see him go.

Sorry, but I cannot feel bad for the guy even after all that he's done for the Bears franchise over his tenure. After all he's still getting paid $5 mil next season whether he coaches or not.
Superman(DH23)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

topwop1 wrote:
bigbadbuff23835 wrote:
Why does this get its own thread? it's an interview. He's interviewing with Buffalo too.

Because some Bears fans have a man crush on Lovie and are [REMOVED BY MODERATOR] to see him go.

Sorry, but I cannot feel bad for the guy even after all that he's done for the Bears franchise over his tenure. After all he's still getting paid $5 mil next season whether he coaches or not.
Or maybe b/c he's an indemand HC who deserves a thread to discuss the news about him.

2013 Bears Forum Mike Ditka Award Winner
2014 Adopt-A-Bear Alshon Jeffery
The LBC

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GOGRIESE wrote:
EccentricFan wrote:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe there isn't actually a scheduled interview between the Chargers and Smith. The Chargers have just expressed interest in one. Of course the odds are we'll see one scheduled soon if it hasn't already been done.

But this just tells me it's all the more reason Russ Brandon needs to treat the interview with Lovie like the whole Mario Williams thing. Don't let him leave until he's signed on the dotted line.

There isnt one scheduled right now.

And there won't be until we've hired a GM. Our owner and Ron Wolf have already made it clear that the GM will be hired first and that new GM will have a hand in the hiring of whoever the new coach is.

So at this point there's probably "interest" from our end, but I highly doubt we're committing to dates and scheduling interviews for HC candidates until after we make the GM hire. The rumor of Andy having an interview scheduled with us was little more than his agent likely leaking something to try and give him leverage in negotiations.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superman(DH23) wrote:
topwop1 wrote:
bigbadbuff23835 wrote:

Because some Bears fans have a man crush on Lovie and are but ( )( ) hurt to see him go.

Or maybe b/c he's an indemand HC who deserves a thread to discuss the news about him.

He's will be interviewed by 1 team so far and nothing set up with anyone else. I believe its more toward what topwop1 was saying.

^^ props to Ty on the sig Smile

2013-Adopt A Bear- CB Tim Jennings #26
GOGRIESE

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The LBC wrote:
GOGRIESE wrote:
EccentricFan wrote:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe there isn't actually a scheduled interview between the Chargers and Smith. The Chargers have just expressed interest in one. Of course the odds are we'll see one scheduled soon if it hasn't already been done.

But this just tells me it's all the more reason Russ Brandon needs to treat the interview with Lovie like the whole Mario Williams thing. Don't let him leave until he's signed on the dotted line.

And there won't be until we've hired a GM. Our owner and Ron Wolf have already made it clear that the GM will be hired first and that new GM will have a hand in the hiring of whoever the new coach is.

So at this point there's probably "interest" from our end, but I highly doubt we're committing to dates and scheduling interviews for HC candidates until after we make the GM hire. The rumor of Andy having an interview scheduled with us was little more than his agent likely leaking something to try and give him leverage in negotiations.

Right that makes complete sense.

^^ props to Ty on the sig Smile

2013-Adopt A Bear- CB Tim Jennings #26
The LBC

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GOGRIESE wrote:
The LBC wrote:
GOGRIESE wrote:
EccentricFan wrote:

Right that makes complete sense.

Which I'm fine with, as most of the GM candidates we've been interviewing (last report was they just finished up in Indy with VP Tom Telesco and are en route to NY to interview Marc Ross; with Gamble and Caldwell on the docket) may well have ties to preferred coaching candidates currently with playoff teams who couldn't join us in official capacity until their team's playoff run was over anyway.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think we want to get rid of Pags. Lovie would do that I'm sure

Bohlmann20 (On The 95 Cleveland Browns Staff) wrote:
Lombardi - Isn't that the guy the trophy is named after? If so, top 3 coach of all time.

#JDI
marshawn lynch

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superman(DH23) wrote:
TommyC376 wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
bigbadbuff23835 wrote:
He's actually interviewing w/ Buffalo as I write this.
Link?

Because I thought Buffalo was interviewing Chip Kelly today, and Mike McCoy tomorrow (Saturday)?
Bears beat reporter Jeff Dickerson of espnchicago.com said Lovie is in AZ right now interviewing w/ the Bills a few minutes ago on the radio.

Really? Chip Kelly and Doug Marrone were supposed to interview today. I heard both Smith and McCoy will interview this weekend.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do the chargers have the pieces to run a Cover 2 defense?

Donald Butler is a safe bet at MLB. Can Ingram and Phillips play with there hand in the dirt. Do they have interior lineman needed.
JammerHammer21

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:

Donald Butler is a safe bet at MLB. Can Ingram and Phillips play with there hand in the dirt. Do they have interior lineman needed.

Certainly. Liuget and Reyes are primed to be one of the top 3-4 DE duos. They could switch. I don't see us hiring Lovie, I think we want to keep what we have going with Pags. Phillips likely wont be back anyway. Weddle was even better under Pags. Might be Rooney ruling with Lovie.

Lombardi - Isn't that the guy the trophy is named after? If so, top 3 coach of all time.

#JDI
green24

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JammerHammer21 wrote:
vikingsrule wrote:

Certainly. Liuget and Reyes are primed to be one of the top 3-4 DE duos. They could switch. I don't see us hiring Lovie, I think we want to keep what we have going with Pags. Phillips likely wont be back anyway. Weddle was even better under Pags. Might be Rooney ruling with Lovie.

Behind Wilkerson and Coples.
JammerHammer21

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

green24 wrote:
JammerHammer21 wrote:
vikingsrule wrote:

Behind Wilkerson and Coples.

Maybe. Wilk is a little ahead of Liuget and I think Reyes is ahead of Coples. Both are gonna be real good it looks.

#JDI
The LBC

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:

Ingram likely ends up as an OLB in the Cover-2 which isn't wholly unthinkable given his skill-set (the Briggs to Butler's Urlacher). Liuget actually projects rather well as a C-2 NT, which would slot in Reyes as the UT - another good fit.

I just don't see this as a particularly smart move considering it pigeonholes the team into likely needing to use it's #11 selection on a RDE - since the depth for pure 4-3 DE's isn't stellar in this class. Phillips is a free agent and while he could play the position it's not his ideal fit - much rather be able to play him at the OLB, if re-signed. Weddle could thrive in the C-2 as a safety, but I'm not sure we have another guy on the roster at safety that's a tremendous fit without cycling say Marcus Gilchrist back there or signing someone in FA.

It seems like just an unnecessary transition - particularly with Peyton in the divisionn considering Peyton's historically trashed Cover-2's that we're 3-deep with high-level pass-rushers across the front four. It's looking more and more like Lovie's a RR candidate that's getting the benefit of the doubt because of his past track record. Our ownership seems to really favor holding onto John Pagano, which would mean retaining the 3-4 - it may just take an interview with Lovie for that point to get across to them about him.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superman(DH23) wrote:
According to Michael C. Wright of ESPNChicago.com on the radio, there are a lot things in play for Lovie Smith w/ very strong interest from at least 3 teams, but Lovie wants to keep everything under wraps until something is certain.

Honestly, the way Lovie Smith operates, you'd think he works for a place with letters, not the NFL... Cool
Superman(DH23)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The LBC wrote:
vikingsrule wrote:

Ingram likely ends up as an OLB in the Cover-2 which isn't wholly unthinkable given his skill-set (the Briggs to Butler's Urlacher). Liuget actually projects rather well as a C-2 NT, which would slot in Reyes as the UT - another good fit.

I just don't see this as a particularly smart move considering it pigeonholes the team into likely needing to use it's #11 selection on a RDE - since the depth for pure 4-3 DE's isn't stellar in this class. Phillips is a free agent and while he could play the position it's not his ideal fit - much rather be able to play him at the OLB, if re-signed. Weddle could thrive in the C-2 as a safety, but I'm not sure we have another guy on the roster at safety that's a tremendous fit without cycling say Marcus Gilchrist back there or signing someone in FA.

It seems like just an unnecessary transition - particularly with Peyton in the divisionn considering Peyton's historically trashed Cover-2's that we're 3-deep with high-level pass-rushers across the front four. It's looking more and more like Lovie's a RR candidate that's getting the benefit of the doubt because of his past track record. Our ownership seems to really favor holding onto John Pagano, which would mean retaining the 3-4 - it may just take an interview with Lovie for that point to get across to them about him.
You might want to look at what Peyton acutally did against the Bears in the SuperBowl. They were gashed by 200 yards rushing (thank you Ron Rivera) but not by Peyton. Then in 2008 they did it to Peyton again. Also look at that Aaron Rodgers' worst games generally come against the Bears. But I'm not sold that Lovie would completely change that defense anyway, but may adapt it similar to what Tomlin did in Pittsburgh.

I think the Chargers right now are strongly leaning towards an offensive candidate b/c the #1 goal is to get Philip Rivers right again, but it wouldn't shock me if Lovie completely blew them away in an interview and was able to get Pep Hamilton or Hue Jackson in as his OC.

2013 Bears Forum Mike Ditka Award Winner
2014 Adopt-A-Bear Alshon Jeffery

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: