Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Getting rid of random draft order. Is this a good way?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Fantasy Football
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Prince.Malachi

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:21 pm    Post subject: Getting rid of random draft order. Is this a good way? Reply with quote

I was thinking about a way of encouraging owners without playoff teams to maintain interest in the league after they don't stand a chance of winning the championship. It rewards non playoff teams by giving the best one a choice of where his draft position in the following years draft.

So imagine a 14 owner league. 6 teams make the playoffs.

7th place gets to choose what draft position they want by a given date in the summer. (i.e. maybe he wants to draft 3rd or maybe 8 depending on what players he feels are a good fit)
8th place chooses draft position 2nd
9th place chooses draft position 3rd
10th place chooses draft position 4th
11th place chooses draft position 5th
12th place chooses draft position 6th
13th place chooses draft position 7th
14th place chooses draft position 8th

Playoff teams choose in the same fashion like the real NFL

6th place chooses draft position 9th
5th place chooses draft position 10th
4th place chooses draft position 11th
3rd place chooses draft position 12th
2nd place chooses draft position 13th
1st place chooses draft position 14th

This would reward the teams who don't make it but still try to win games when they are out in the playoffs. And it also can help out teams who weren't great maybe due to injuries or really any factor.

I think this system would work for keeper or redraft but may be slightly more suited for keeper.

What do you think about it? Does it work? Would there be problems or kinks?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a keeper league it sort of makes sense, but if a team just had terribly bad luck with injuries and didnt win any games, it would really suck for them not to pick what slot they want

If its a re-draft it would be dumb to implement bc what happened last year has no bearing on this year

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your going to lose the bottom 4 teams every year. This would be akin to giving the Bears their choice of draft position this year and KC the last choice before the playoff teams. You really aren't helping the bad teams get any better to keep "league parity". The best draft style out there is auction then each team can decide who "fits" their style/team. The only way to keep owners interested that are out of playoff contention is to get better owners.
Hockey5djh

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting rid of random draft order. Is this a good way? Reply with quote

Prince.Malachi wrote:
I was thinking about a way of encouraging owners without playoff teams to maintain interest in the league after they don't stand a chance of winning the championship. It rewards non playoff teams by giving the best one a choice of where his draft position in the following years draft.

So imagine a 14 owner league. 6 teams make the playoffs.

7th place gets to choose what draft position they want by a given date in the summer. (i.e. maybe he wants to draft 3rd or maybe 8 depending on what players he feels are a good fit)
8th place chooses draft position 2nd
9th place chooses draft position 3rd
10th place chooses draft position 4th
11th place chooses draft position 5th
12th place chooses draft position 6th
13th place chooses draft position 7th
14th place chooses draft position 8th

Playoff teams choose in the same fashion like the real NFL

6th place chooses draft position 9th
5th place chooses draft position 10th
4th place chooses draft position 11th
3rd place chooses draft position 12th
2nd place chooses draft position 13th
1st place chooses draft position 14th

This would reward the teams who don't make it but still try to win games when they are out in the playoffs. And it also can help out teams who weren't great maybe due to injuries or really any factor.

I think this system would work for keeper or redraft but may be slightly more suited for keeper.

What do you think about it? Does it work? Would there be problems or kinks?

One thing we did with a Keeper baseball league (10 teams) that I'm in is a stationary top 2 and bottom 2 and a mixed 3-8 depending on final position.

The Break down:

Teams finishing in 1st and 2nd get the 9th and 10th picks.

Teams finishing 9 and 10 get the 1st and second picks.

8 teams make the playoffs so the final ranking depends on your playoff finish. Ex/ 3rd place finish gets the 3rd overall pick, 4th place finish gets the 4th overall pick, etc.

If you wanted to update this then i'm sure you could give 3rd overall playoff finish their choice if it really matters that much.

You would obviously ahve to scale this for 14 teams and less playoff teams but this system works pretty flawlessly with no complaints so far through 5 years. Its also a nice system because then the Managers all know what draft pick they have prior to the draft and all offseason people can discuss trades involving picks.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played in a league where non-playoff teams picked in reverse order of how bad they were. So the team that barely missed the playoffs went #1 and the worst team went 6th.

It kept everyone trying until the end, and we didn't lose anyone over that.
101Raider

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slightly off topic, but I've managed to keep non-playoff teams interested by giving a money bonus for the single highest point total in 1 game.

In our league, draft position is determined by some sort of random event. This year we hosted a beer-pong tourney.
DKTurtle51

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

turf2grass wrote:
Your going to lose the bottom 4 teams every year. This would be akin to giving the Bears their choice of draft position this year and KC the last choice before the playoff teams. You really aren't helping the bad teams get any better to keep "league parity". The best draft style out there is auction then each team can decide who "fits" their style/team. The only way to keep owners interested that are out of playoff contention is to get better owners.
Maybe it doesn't make sense in a dynasty league for this reason, but I think in a keeper league it would keep poor teams from selling off everything except for the couple of players they intend to keep. I plan on doing this in the keeper league I am in because one guy has three 1st round picks, two second round picks, three 3rd round picks, etc, etc. I hope to avoid that in the future.

^^^NickChowaniec^^^
Sllim Pickens

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JaguarCrazy2832 wrote:
For a keeper league it sort of makes sense, but if a team just had terribly bad luck with injuries and didnt win any games, it would really suck for them not to pick what slot they want

If its a re-draft it would be dumb to implement bc what happened last year has no bearing on this year

I think the opposite. In most keeper leagues it isn't snaked, so of course you want the top pick. In a redraft league, it gives those bottom guys a reason to continue to set their lineup, make waiver pickups, and not trade off assets to load a team for the rest of the year. Injuries suck, but even with injuries you can play the waiver wire and win games. I think it's a great idea for a redraft league.

Adopt-A-Lion - Larry Warford, OG as in Original Gangsta

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Fantasy Football All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: