Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Need Advice on good league settings for a new DYNASTY league

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Fantasy Football
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Prince.Malachi

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:30 pm    Post subject: Need Advice on good league settings for a new DYNASTY league Reply with quote

So the commish of league that I joined about 5 years ago (league is ~7 years old) is looking to shake things up and change the format of the league as it has gotten a bit stale. Briefly it was:

Standard NFL.com scoring 4 pts/passing td
1qb/2rb/3wr/1RBorWR/1te/1k/1def
14 teams (up from 12 a few years back)
A group of highschool friends of varying abilities but committed owners year to year as the same group is basically in tack.

I am pushing that we adopta dynasty league format and the commiss is very interested.

I have never participated in anything more than 2 years of a 3 player keeper and was wondering what kind of rules/parameters have worked well for dynasty leagues you have been in. And especially what formats have sucked.

One thing I am also fairly new to but intrigued in is 2 QB leagues...my gut says that 2 starting QB's would be awesome in a dynasty league but lemme know if anyone has tried it and how it went.

Do you keep all players or a certain portion. If so how many?

What are the best starting line up combinations? How big should your bench be?

Any other advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks!!!!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not a big fan of the 2QB leagues, as it "over values" that position. In bye weeks, with a 14 team league, there will be some teams that will not have 2 QB's to start. If you have a 10 or 12 team league, you might be able to get away with it.

As for the Dynasty league I think that is the way to go. You can keep any number, but generally dynasty leagues keep closer to 50% of roster vs the 2-5 in keeper type leagues.

Co-worker of mine is running a league where the fantasy owner determines how many years they will keep a player (in advance...ie he is on a contract for 1-5 years). If the player retires, gets injured, begins to decline, gets arrested, etc the player still counts against your roster even though you might want to cut him (or even if you did cut him). Makes you think twice as to how long you contract a player for. I think a great addition to that is you would have a max number of contract years for your total roster. If your roster contract total limit is 30 years, and you are at 28 years, then the most you could contract to keep a player is 2 years, unless you were to trade a player that has a longer contract. (similar to salary cap, but just uses the contract years determined by the fantasy owner).

I would also look into individual defensive players (IDP) as other options vs just offensive players.

As for the drafting process, I would lean toward an auction vs snake draft. Auction allows all teams to be able to "buy" any players vs having pick #8 and not having an option to acquire 7 players.

I prefer something like 1QB, 2RB, 2-3 WR, 1 Te, 2-3 Flex (RB/WR/TE), 1K, 1 Def (unless you opt for IDP, then you could use 1-2 DL, 1-2 LB, 1-2 DB)
Prince.Malachi

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

squire12 wrote:
I am not a big fan of the 2QB leagues, as it "over values" that position. In bye weeks, with a 14 team league, there will be some teams that will not have 2 QB's to start. If you have a 10 or 12 team league, you might be able to get away with it.

Do you not feel that with 1 QB it undervalues the position? I did a mock recently where Brady went in the 4th and Luck, Wilson and Romo went in the 7th.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: Need Advice on good league settings for a new DYNASTY le Reply with quote

Prince.Malachi wrote:

One thing I am also fairly new to but intrigued in is 2 QB leagues...my gut says that 2 starting QB's would be awesome in a dynasty league but lemme know if anyone has tried it and how it went.
I love 2 QB leagues. It puts a premium value on the position which better mirrors the NFL. It always bothers me that in standard leagues the value of QBs is so low when they are in reality one of the most important positions in all of sports.

^^^NickChowaniec^^^
JaguarCrazy2832

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it gets incredibly lopsided if you make it a 2 qb keeper league bc the teams with the best qbs will keep them and almost always win

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Need Advice on good league settings for a new DYNASTY le Reply with quote

Prince.Malachi wrote:
So the commish of league that I joined about 5 years ago (league is ~7 years old) is looking to shake things up and change the format of the league as it has gotten a bit stale. Briefly it was:

Standard NFL.com scoring 4 pts/passing td
1qb/2rb/3wr/1RBorWR/1te/1k/1def
14 teams (up from 12 a few years back)
A group of highschool friends of varying abilities but committed owners year to year as the same group is basically in tack.

I am pushing that we adopta dynasty league format and the commiss is very interested.

I have never participated in anything more than 2 years of a 3 player keeper and was wondering what kind of rules/parameters have worked well for dynasty leagues you have been in. And especially what formats have sucked.

Do you keep all players or a certain portion. If so how many?

What are the best starting line up combinations? How big should your bench be?

Any other advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks!!!!

The bolded is what make the 2QB option not desirable.

Quote:
squire12 wrote:

Do you not feel that with 1 QB it undervalues the position? I did a mock recently where Brady went in the 4th and Luck, Wilson and Romo went in the 7th.

If it is a 10 team league, it is fine, but those types of leagues also are like all-star teams. Very little need to find the hidden gems and your average non-football fan can to well just following basic rankings, but do not factor in other knowledge of 3WR and back up RB/3rd-down RB.

The basic strategy in 2 QB leagues is to draft them early and often, max out on the roster limit and you can force trades to acquire RB's and WR's as other teams have to have 2 QB's to start each week or they forfeit an automatic 15-20 points each week with no option to make it up with other options.

10-12 team leagues its OK, 14 team league it just does not work during the bye weeks.
Deadeye

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's some ideas from two different dynasty leagues that I participate in:

1) introduce a salary cap - players have a contract at a certain salary and when the contract ends they are free agents. Bidding happens during the off season on those free agents, ebay style (winner pays 2nd highest +1). You have a rookie only draft each off season and players are slotted for salary purposes, the the NFL now does. Free agents can be franchised or transition tagged. Teams bidding on franchise players give up their next first rounder, teams bidding on transition players give up a second rounder.

2) As mentioned above, using 2 QBs isn't really a good option for 14 teams. But I think it might still be worth doing and here's why: 14x2=28. Thus only four teams in the league will have the luxury of a third starting QB. There will be a mad scramble to land starting QBs, and that's the closest you can come in FF to simulating the NFL's obsession on QBs. Now a decent compromise might be to use an "OP" in the lineup. On ESPN, an OP is any one of the following: QB, RB, WR, or TE. Thus teams with two quality starting QBs could still play both of those players.

I'm commissioner in a league that has 10 teams with rosters of 30. A starting lineup consists of:
2 QBs
3 RBs
4 WRs
2 TEs
2 Ks
1 Flex (RB, WR, or TE)
1 OP (QB, RB, WR, or TE)
1 Team defense

We carry over 20 and draft 10 rounds each off season.

3) If you are stuck using 1 QB, try this: introduce formations. We love this rule because it allows you to play to your strengths, and on bye weeks it's easy to compensate. Here are the formation rules:

- you have to play one QB
- between RB, WR, and TE you have to play 5 players from at least two different positions
- for every RB you play beyond 1, you have to play at least 1 TE. For example, 1 RB does not require any TEs, 2 RBs require 1 TE, and 3 RBs require 2 TEs.

Formations add alot to the league

4) IDP. In my salary cap league we use IDP and have formations for defense as well. 2 DL, 2 LB, and 2 secondary is the base formation. But alternatively you can play any combination of 3,2,1.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Fantasy Football All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: