Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

RG3 May have Torn ACL/PCL
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 16, 17, 18  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nabbs4u

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nixa37 wrote:
Nabbs4u wrote:
nixa37 wrote:
JaguarCrazy2832 wrote:
thats just awful news, i know im late to the party, but i can believe it all happened on a fluke play with a crappy field...

They actually think it was probably injured on the prior play to the bad snap (He got hit and fell on it a little awkwardly and was slow to get up). Essentially, the knee buckled due to the injury instead of the knee buckling causing the injury. It could just be trying to play down the role of the field, but I know someone who had a similar situation where it turned out they had already torn their ACL prior to a pretty gruesome knee buckling.

They being the Redskin spin doctors! It's what their attempting to feed the media in hopes it explains why he was left in the game for 3 extra QT. God forbid it was tweaked in the first QT right before the second TD pass . Rolling Eyes Easier to avoid blame, culpability and stupidity if it happen just a play before the tear.

The one in the first quarter simply didn't look like it would have affected the ACL. And there would still be culpability for leaving him in since the weakened LCL from that hit made him more susceptible to an ACL injury than he would have been otherwise.

We talking about the same play where he scrambled to the sideline, planted ,the knee gave way when he threw the pass to the endzone? He then rolled over in pain, got up and attempted to run back to the huddle only to hobble trot instead. From that play forward it was obvious to the entire world watching RGIII was having issues planting and throwing. Let alone when he was ignorantly asked to run the option two to three more times afterwards. I'm not suggesting that was when he tore his ACL but that was exactly when the LCL was comprised beyond the point he should have been playing IMO. His stubbornness to come out and Shannahan's desire to win at all cost might have risked RGIII long term future.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nabbs4u wrote:
nixa37 wrote:
Nabbs4u wrote:
nixa37 wrote:
JaguarCrazy2832 wrote:
thats just awful news, i know im late to the party, but i can believe it all happened on a fluke play with a crappy field...

They actually think it was probably injured on the prior play to the bad snap (He got hit and fell on it a little awkwardly and was slow to get up). Essentially, the knee buckled due to the injury instead of the knee buckling causing the injury. It could just be trying to play down the role of the field, but I know someone who had a similar situation where it turned out they had already torn their ACL prior to a pretty gruesome knee buckling.

They being the Redskin spin doctors! It's what their attempting to feed the media in hopes it explains why he was left in the game for 3 extra QT. God forbid it was tweaked in the first QT right before the second TD pass . Rolling Eyes Easier to avoid blame, culpability and stupidity if it happen just a play before the tear.

The one in the first quarter simply didn't look like it would have affected the ACL. And there would still be culpability for leaving him in since the weakened LCL from that hit made him more susceptible to an ACL injury than he would have been otherwise.

We talking about the same play where he scrambled to the sideline, planted ,the knee gave way when he threw the pass to the endzone? He then rolled over in pain, got up and attempted to run back to the huddle only to hobble trot instead. From that play forward it was obvious to the entire world watching RGIII was having issues planting and throwing. Let alone when he was ignorantly asked to run the option two to three more times afterwards. I'm not suggesting that was when he tore his ACL but that was exactly when the LCL was comprised beyond the point he should have been playing IMO. His stubbornness to come out and Shannahan's desire to win at all cost might have risked RGIII long term future.

I agree with all of that. I thought the choice to play him once it became clear how ineffective he was was indefensible. I just think the ACL may have been badly compromised before we saw the knee buckle on the bad snap.
turtle28

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nabbs4u wrote:
nixa37 wrote:
Nabbs4u wrote:
nixa37 wrote:
JaguarCrazy2832 wrote:

you all are forgetting that rg3 and his family wanted him to play in even the browns game, a month Before the playoff game.

I go back to Shanahan saying when he was helping Rg off the field- "I should have taken you out sooner"

Rg3: it's not your fault coach it's not your fault
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
vike daddy

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Citing a league source, ProFootballTalk reported Saturday there is "much greater concern" regarding Griffin's knee than the Redskins have publicly let on. Any comparison to Adrian Peterson should end once the complexity of Griffin's surgery is understood. RG3 had both a torn anterior cruciate ligament and lateral collateral ligament repaired in his right knee, but doctors also needed to operate on his left knee for a patellar tendon graft.

The biggest concern is the damage to the cartilage in Griffin's right knee, which has now been operated on three times. It's unclear how much cartilage remains in the knee after two ACL surgeries, raising concerns of an eventual bone-on-bone condition that could end Griffin's career prematurely.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000125303/article/redskins-reportedly-very-concerned-about-rg3s-knee

Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?
turtle28

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vike daddy wrote:
Citing a league source, ProFootballTalk reported Saturday there is "much greater concern" regarding Griffin's knee than the Redskins have publicly let on. Any comparison to Adrian Peterson should end once the complexity of Griffin's surgery is understood. RG3 had both a torn anterior cruciate ligament and lateral collateral ligament repaired in his right knee, but doctors also needed to operate on his left knee for a patellar tendon graft.

The biggest concern is the damage to the cartilage in Griffin's right knee, which has now been operated on three times. It's unclear how much cartilage remains in the knee after two ACL surgeries, raising concerns of an eventual bone-on-bone condition that could end Griffin's career prematurely.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000125303/article/redskins-reportedly-very-concerned-about-rg3s-knee
saw that... Um citing a source I disagree. ^^^ see in the general forum

Dr James Andrews disagrees with that. I'll take the doctors opinion
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
nixa37

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
vike daddy wrote:

Keep in mind that Andrews is prohibited from releasing any medical information that RG3 doesn't consent to him releasing.
turtle28

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nixa37 wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
vike daddy wrote:

Keep in mind that Andrews is prohibited from releasing any medical information that RG3 doesn't consent to him releasing.
still unnamed sources are worthless IMO. Anyone can say unnamed source in an article and write their opinion just for spite especially coming from pft
nixa37

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
nixa37 wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
vike daddy wrote:

still unnamed sources are worthless IMO. Anyone can say unnamed source in an article and write their opinion just for spite especially coming from pft

It could be BS, but either way Andrews couldn't mention it if RG3 didn't want him to. I do worry about RG3 ever being as explosive as he was, but he doesn't need to be that explosive to be a great QB.
turtle28

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nixa37 wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
nixa37 wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
vike daddy wrote:

It could be BS, but either way Andrews couldn't mention it if RG3 didn't want him to. I do worry about RG3 ever being as explosive as he was, but he doesn't need to be that explosive to be a great QB.
he'll be fine. He was scrambling on those plays when got injured, weren't even designed runs. He just has to learn how to slide and run out of bounds more often if he can't get a 1st down or score on a play. These are learned skills.

He needs jim zorns slip and slide exercise that he used for Jason Campbell in 08 or he needs to practice a little with the nationals on sliding! Laughing

tyler735 wrote:
Some good news regarding RG3's knee. His dad gave some insight on what has been going on with the whole situation.

"He didn't (completely) tear his ACL, which is perfect. Because when you do that, you lose a lot of muscle mass in your upper thigh. But he was able to fire his muscles up early on in rehabilitation. In his case, everything is going really well. It's early. But trust me, he even acknowledged the difference between the first time and this time, as far as that first week."

Lots of good info from this article, and reason to remain positive with him returning for the start of 2013!
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/redskins/2013/01/11/dad-says-robert-griffin-iii-will-be-back-for-season-opener/1827729/

Seems like people close to the situation that actually know how much damage has been done to the knee, and have seen the inside of it (RG3, his dad, and James Andrews), are predicting a comeback by the start of the season! I'll take info from them over the arm chair Dr's on this site Laughing

Same here buddy! Thanks Cool

Check out zack boyer's article and chase Minifield's quotes from the article I just posted. Chase is feeling good 7 months after his 2nd acl surgery of his life also. That's a good sign.

http://news.fredericksburg.com/redskinsjournal/2013/01/12/like-robert-griffin-iii-chase-minnifield-recovering-from-second-acl-operation/?mobile=true

Chase Minifield has the same procedure that rg3 had done 7 months ago by Dr Andrews where they took a "PIECE" of the other patella tendon and used it to fix the other Acl and he is feeling great 7 months later. Minifield also was had an acl tear on that same knee before he even went to UVA.

Quote:
Minnifield is seven months removed from his second surgery, both of which, like Griffin’s, were performed by James Andrews. He originally tore the ACL in his right knee in 2007, after his senior season in high school, then tore it again in late June in the final days of the Redskins’ organized team activities.

Andrews, the team’s orthopedist, found no damage to other ligaments and determined the injury was isolated solely within Minnifield’s ACL. He fixed the tear by taking a piece of the patellar tendon from his healthy left knee and grafting it into his right, which was the same procedure performed on Griffin.

Taking a piece of the patellar tendon is now considered the standard for repairing the ACL of high-level athletes, but it’s typically done from the same knee. Because Minnifield and Griffin each required a second surgery, Andrews took a piece of the tendon from the left knee.

It seems both guys should be on a good track to play at some point in 2013. Cool

Redskins email report excerpt: Gannon on RG3 recovery

http://washingtonexaminer.com/redskins-email-report-excerpt-gannon-on-rg3-recovery/article/2518246#.UO-kEMUz_1U

Quote:
Rich Gannon understands being a mobile quarterback who needs to adjust after ACL reconstructive surgery. The CBS analyst and ex-Redskin went through the same thing in the early in his NFL career. So he understands what Robert Griffin III faces in his recovery from knee surgery — ACL reconstruction; LCL and medial meniscus repair.

“He’s smart enough to know that the speed of the game is different,” Gannon said for my email report. “The type of athlete you’re playing against – ends and linebackers can really run and bring you down in awkward body positions. He has to protect himself outside the pocket and in the boundary and in the red zone and trying to dive for a touchdown or first down. [b]You learn that there are things you can do differently. That’s something, yeah, he’ll have to change but at the same time they don’t have to scrap the offense. They can do a lot of the same things they did. He can still be an explosive player.”[/b]

turtle28

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/eye-on-football/21544266/dr-neal-elattrache-joins-the-nfl-today-to-talk-rg3-injury

Quote:
"I think that you'll see a mobile, pro-style quarterback rather than a run-first type of quarterback," ElAttrache said. "I don't know that the longevity that he would have … would be what you'd want to center your franchise around."

Another doctor who says rg3 will come back and be a mobile qb who's not run first, which is exactly what he is now. So I'm not concerned. He might lose a 10th or 2 10ths off his 40, big deal.i
mozwanted

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apprently rg3s first acl repair was patchwork.

Dr andrews looked at it and didnt like it so he redone it. The acl didnt nessessarly need repair because it was t fully turn. Andrews re did it because he thinks the patchwork acl was bound to give up and his surgery will make the acl than it ever was.
Nabbs4u

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/eye-on-football/21544266/dr-neal-elattrache-joins-the-nfl-today-to-talk-rg3-injury

Quote:
"I think that you'll see a mobile, pro-style quarterback rather than a run-first type of quarterback," ElAttrache said. "I don't know that the longevity that he would have … would be what you'd want to center your franchise around."

Another doctor who says rg3 will come back and be a mobile qb who's not run first, which is exactly what he is now. So I'm not concerned. He might lose a 10th or 2 10ths off his 40, big deal.i

Your missing the bigger picture Turtle. Your offense by it's definition makes RGIII more of a run first option then the typical pocket passer. Whether RGIII loses speed or not if they continue having your QB on average intentionally run/scramble 8x a game, he will be injured again at some point.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nabbs4u wrote:
turtle28 wrote:

Quote:

Your missing the bigger picture Turtle. Your offense by it's definition makes RGIII more of a run first option then the typical pocket passer. Whether RGIII loses speed or not if they continue having your QB on average intentionally run/scramble 8x a game, he will be injured again at some point.

Except we don't have him intentional run or scramble 8x a game. He does it on his own, and those are the plays he's been hurt on.
Nabbs4u

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian23 wrote:
Nabbs4u wrote:
turtle28 wrote:

Quote:

Except we don't have him intentional run or scramble 8x a game. He does it on his own, and those are the plays he's been hurt on.

So your offense doesn't ask your QB to run the option? Your not going to make the excuse that RGIII chooses to run the 8 times because he has the "option" are you? That's a cop out if true. This is not a typical pocket passing offense where a QB scrambles only when plays break down or in certain down and distances ala Aaron Rodgers. Shannahan intentionally game plans for RGIII to exploit teams with his legs. Let's not pretend otherwise now that it has resulted in injury in it's first year.

Last edited by Nabbs4u on Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
jrry32

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mozwanted wrote:
Apprently rg3s first acl repair was patchwork.

Dr andrews looked at it and didnt like it so he redone it. The acl didnt nessessarly need repair because it was t fully turn. Andrews re did it because he thinks the patchwork acl was bound to give up and his surgery will make the acl than it ever was.

Whatever makes you sleep better at night...

The LBC wrote:
Harper41 wrote:
Don't worry. Sean Payton would pass the ball in a Tornado.

But would he do it in a Sharknado?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 16, 17, 18  Next
Page 17 of 18

Jump to: