Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

RG3 May have Torn ACL/PCL
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 16, 17, 18  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TomRalph

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really hope RG3 can recover in the same vein as AP and come back much quicker than estimated and play to an even higher level than he's ever shown before.

It would be a tragedy if the NFL didn't get to see RG3 fulfill his potential having shown so much so early in his career.

Adopt-a-Patriot '14: Danny Amendola
Times Tom Brady has actively ignored throwing to Number 80:
jrry32

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

titanrick wrote:
bulger2holt wrote:
jrry32 wrote:
bulger2holt wrote:
jrry32 wrote:
RGIII will be ok. But I hope this is a lesson to Shanahan and co. Develop him as a pocket passer so his career doesn't go the way of Daunte Culpepper's.

His mobility makes him what he is. That's like asking Nolan Ryan to be an off speed pitcher.

No, it doesn't. His mobility is a huge benefit but RGIII has all the passing ability to be great at it. Just needs development.

It's not at all comparable to baseball. So lets not make irrelevant comparisons.

Defenses not knowing what to expect helps his passing game. If he was primarily a pocket passer, they would scheme for that.

I'm with bulger here. People always talk about how easy it should be to draft a college QB who ran all the time and turn him into a pocket passer. Why are you drafting someone at the top of the first round if you're planning NOT to use his most valuable asset? I agree that running around in the pros gets you hurt far more often than in college. But then teams need to stop taking players like RGIII and Vick at the top of the draft.

We saw the same failed experiment with Vince Young who was admittedly, about 10,000x less of a QB than RGIII. But the Titans watched him tear up college football by being a dual threat, teasing defenses with his legs and killing them with roll-outs, then tried to tell him to stay in the pocket and focus on reading defenses. RGIII could probably learn to do that, but he sure wasn't worth all those draft picks if he never leaves the pocket.

I liked the Nolan Ryan comparison. Imagine the Nats telling Strasburg to throw all change-ups because his fastball is too violent for his shoulder to hold up. Maybe they're right, but then why did you spend so much on a talent that shouldn't be using his best asset at the next level?

Actually, it's much more comparable to the Nats putting Strasburg on an innings count to protect his arm and health...oh wait...that happened.

They drafted RGIII to play QB. They drafted him to be a great passer. He can be a great passer which only makes his legs that much more of a weapon.

So you have the option of developing that or basically accepting that he'll have a shortened career filled with injuries.

But would he do it in a Sharknado?
steadypimpin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any new news on this injury?

Thanks to IDOG_det on the sig!
2011 & 2012 NFC West Champs!!!
Xbox: Steadypimpin49
"Keep choppin' wood"
mozwanted

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RG3 will get the most medical attention and best doctors in the world.

I expect him to fully comeback. Peterson, drew brees, tom brady, peyton manning came back from career threatening injury.

Give rg3 time and good doctors he should be fine.
titanrick

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jrry32 wrote:
Actually, it's much more comparable to the Nats putting Strasburg on an innings count to protect his arm and health...oh wait...that happened.

They drafted RGIII to play QB. They drafted him to be a great passer. He can be a great passer which only makes his legs that much more of a weapon.

I think we may have different notions of the term "pocket-passer." For me, it conjures up visions of Tom Brady, Drew Brees and the Manning brothers, all of whom had less than 25 rushes in the entire season, many of those "-1 yard kneel-downs." So to try to take one of the most dynamic athletes the position has ever seen and turn him into that seems like a foolish idea. I doubt you're suggesting that RGIII run fewer than once a game, are you? As others have pointed out, he owes some of his passing success to the fact that the defense is respecting his ability to take off running. Remove that and you're asking him to become a completely different QB than he was in college. And in a business where you're trying to maximize your star's chance of success, that greatly diminishes it.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

titanrick wrote:
jrry32 wrote:

I think we may have different notions of the term "pocket-passer." For me, it conjures up visions of Tom Brady, Drew Brees and the Manning brothers, all of whom had less than 25 rushes in the entire season, many of those "-1 yard kneel-downs." So to try to take one of the most dynamic athletes the position has ever seen and turn him into that seems like a foolish idea. I doubt you're suggesting that RGIII run fewer than once a game, are you? As others have pointed out, he owes some of his passing success to the fact that the defense is respecting his ability to take off running. Remove that and you're asking him to become a completely different QB than he was in college. And in a business where you're trying to maximize your star's chance of success, that greatly diminishes it.

Well, that's you applying your definition to it. I never said anything close to that.

Think of it more like Aaron Rodgers.

I said develop him as a pocket passer...as in develop his game as a passer in the pocket. Not turn him into Manning.

Just stop running the gimmicky stuff that is opening him up to these injuries. Use him as a traditional QB and give him the option to use his legs when he sees fit.

RandomCampBody

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter

Robert Griffin expected to undergo surgery this week on torn LCL and at that time doctors will determine if any damage has been done to ACL.
Nads786

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mozwanted wrote:
RG3 will get the most medical attention and best doctors in the world.

I expect him to fully comeback. Peterson, drew brees, tom brady, peyton manning came back from career threatening injury.

Give rg3 time and good doctors he should be fine.

And hes young which helps with healing. As someone who had to deal with the Derrick Rose injury I wish RG3 the best!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good news redskins reported

RG3 has torn LCL the same sprained LCL he had against bmore.

No damages on pcl or acl at this point.

Expect rg3 to have surgery this week and be ready to go 100% next season.

This is amazing news if its only the lcl.Doctors say his acl and pcl are fine. He only hurt his LCL again.
BlueOne

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jrry32 wrote:
titanrick wrote:
jrry32 wrote:

Well, that's you applying your definition to it. I never said anything close to that.

I said develop him as a pocket passer...as in develop his game as a passer in the pocket. Not turn him into Manning.

Just stop running the gimmicky stuff that is opening him up to these injuries. Use him as a traditional QB and give him the option to use his legs when he sees fit.

They should keep him running. I fully expect the Seahawks to keep Russell running and I'm not worried about injury at all. (Anymore than I am for any player on any given play) The thing is they need to teach RG3 to stop going for the extra yard. Wilson ends at least three quarters of his rushes by going out of bounds or sliding.
Slaymont Harris

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mozwanted wrote:

This is amazing news if its only the lcl.Doctors say his acl and pcl are fine. He only hurt his LCL again.

Schefter reported that they will examine the ACL when they do the LCL surgery, because they couldn't tell if it was newly damaged or if it was showing signs of damage from the previous injury. So, theoretically, his ACL might not need surgery in the end, but who knows at this point.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/01/08/report-lcl-surgery-for-rg3/

Last edited by Slaymont Harris on Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
jrry32

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BlueOne wrote:
jrry32 wrote:
titanrick wrote:
jrry32 wrote:

They should keep him running. I fully expect the Seahawks to keep Russell running and I'm not worried about injury at all. (Anymore than I am for any player on any given play) The thing is they need to teach RG3 to stop going for the extra yard. Wilson ends at least three quarters of his rushes by going out of bounds or sliding.

Go for it. Will make things that much better when Wilson gets wrecked running that offense.

mozwanted wrote:

All other reports have said the doctors can't determine the extent of the ACL damage until they do the surgery for the LCL.

Thelonebillsfan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2nd worst "wounded knee" in Redskin history.
Slaymont Harris

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thelonebillsfan wrote:

Well done. Very Happy
Thelonebillsfan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slaymont Harris wrote:
Thelonebillsfan wrote:

Well done. Very Happy

My history degree finally paying off. Laughing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 16, 17, 18  Next
Page 9 of 18

Jump to: