Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Tom Telesco Hired as New San Diego Chargers General Manager
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Diego Chargers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Adrenaline_Flux

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:00 pm    Post subject: Tom Telesco Hired as New San Diego Chargers General Manager Reply with quote

Quote:
@AlbertBreer Telesco interviewed last week, interviewed again last night, stayed overnight in San Diego, offered and accepted the job today.

https://twitter.com/AlbertBreer/status/289083675516219393

Winner of Football's Future Big Brother II

Nobody cares about Big Brother III...
Boltstrikes

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well at least a dominoe has fallen. We'll see if working together in Indianapolis is enough to bring Arians here. Another offseason in San Diego.
The LBC

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure I'm going to be able to wipe the thought from my mind that we just hired Buster from Arrested Development to be our GM...

wackywabbit wrote:
Playing center for the Chargers is like teaching DADA at Hogwarts.
JammerHammer21

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The LBC wrote:
I'm not sure I'm going to be able to wipe the thought from my mind that we just hired Buster from Arrested Development to be our GM...

You can always tell a Milford man.

Bohlmann20 (On The 95 Cleveland Browns Staff) wrote:
Lombardi - Isn't that the guy the trophy is named after? If so, top 3 coach of all time.

#JDI
JammerHammer21

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's only 40 which I think will be a positive.

Bohlmann20 (On The 95 Cleveland Browns Staff) wrote:
Lombardi - Isn't that the guy the trophy is named after? If so, top 3 coach of all time.

#JDI
Boltstrikes

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JammerHammer21 wrote:
He's only 40 which I think will be a positive.

Young enough to start a new career after 5 years of mediocre performance?
The LBC

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had one thing pointed out to me by one of the online scouts I tweet back and forth with regularly.

I told him I felt uneasy about the fact that Telesco was so praise-happy, saying he "idolized" Polian, and that I didn't see that as a good thing.

He responded that Ted Thompson had extremely similar things to say about Ron Wolf when TT was hired in Green Bay and that turned out just dandy, didn't it?

As long as Telesco doesn't just roll over and automatically give Dean the Arians hire without at least going through a full slate of interviews (Our TT has ties to SF's OC Mark Roman who I talked about in the other thread, as well), I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.

wackywabbit wrote:
sanitizer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, I need some help here guys....

How can/do you judge if this is a good decision. With no past GM experience how do you gauge Telesco and his pro's/con's. Is there something about his past that can give an idea of what he's capable of doing?

Just some insight would be great about his past or things I can be happy about?

Thanks guys!
Xero

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the hire, now go get Mike Zimmer.
The LBC

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sanitizer wrote:
So, I need some help here guys....

How can/do you judge if this is a good decision. With no past GM experience how do you gauge Telesco and his pro's/con's. Is there something about his past that can give an idea of what he's capable of doing?

Just some insight would be great about his past or things I can be happy about?

Thanks guys!

Difficult to get a read on. Bill Polian is on record in the past as saying that even when he appointed his son, Chris, as GM in Indy that it was him (Bill) and Telesco that were doing all the day-to-day personnel work - so at the very least the kid is experienced.

Looking over Indy's drafts since Polian (and presumably Telesco) came in, a few things stand out to me as concerning:
- Save for finding Jeff Saturday as a UDFA on Baltimore's PS, they only have two notable acquisitions in the 5th round or later (Robert Mathis and Jake Scott).
- They miss way more often than they hit on quality DB's... and they took A LOT of shots.
- Very rarely do you see them investing premium picks in the OL (though part of this should be tempered by the fact that they had Howard Mudd as their OL coach who made a point of using smaller, more athletic linemen that tend to fall to the later rounds of the draft - and they were also picking late in the order most of the time).

That said, Ted Thompson start out under Ron Wolf but has been far from a carbon-copy of Wolf in how he operates. So we can just blindly assume that Telesco is going to be Polian 2.0.

wackywabbit wrote:
Wilkieray

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anybody got a read on this guy as far as the type of coach he will be looking for. Heard Cowher was talking up wanting to coach again. Would he fit the type of guy we might be looking for considering our new GM. Not really looking for Arians personally. I just don't like the idea. And I think that we can do much better than that. I like the young GM idea as long as he doesn't become a "yes" man. Hopefully he can bring a culture change to the team.
The LBC

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wilkieray wrote:
Anybody got a read on this guy as far as the type of coach he will be looking for. Heard Cowher was talking up wanting to coach again. Would he fit the type of guy we might be looking for considering our new GM. Not really looking for Arians personally. I just don't like the idea. And I think that we can do much better than that. I like the young GM idea as long as he doesn't become a "yes" man. Hopefully he can bring a culture change to the team.

From the man's own mouth:

Quote:
He said he has no preference one way or the other if it's someone with an offensive or defensive background, someone who's been a head coach before or would be handling the duty for the first time.

"We’re looking for a good teacher, a coach who can communicate, not only with the fans but with us and with the players," Telesco said. "We’re looking for a leader. The head coach is basically the CEO of the players and the coaching staff. It is a big operation. It doesn’t matter to me where he comes from."

http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2013/jan/09/Tom-Telesco-Chargers-GM-AJ-Smith-Jimmy-Raye/

wackywabbit wrote:
AntonioGates

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm excited to see what Mr. Telesco brings to the table. He learned under Bill Polean, both the good and the bad, and should bring new ideas to the team. Whether those new ideas are good or not is a whole different story but I can't wait for his first draft. Just don't trade up to pick a fullback ahead of Jamal Charles and we'll be ok.
Duffman57

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AntonioGates wrote:
I'm excited to see what Mr. Telesco brings to the table. He learned under Bill Polean, both the good and the bad, and should bring new ideas to the team. Whether those new ideas are good or not is a whole different story but I can't wait for his first draft. Just don't trade up to pick a fullback ahead of Jamal Charles and we'll be ok.

Yep, this is an exciting guy. Russ Lande on twitter said that he really liked Telesco, and said that whenever he's seen him, he was always working the tape, watching guys all the time, and really knows his stuff. Cant be a bad sign.

Rammy da best sigmaker of all time!

MrDrew wrote:
Everything about Rivers is Awkward, reminiscent of a Giraffe with Down's Syndrome
kramxel

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LBC, you were right on the money!

He does sound like AJ without the attitude.

Hopefuly that his enough to lead us to the promise land and avoid the traps on the way there....

P.S: Loved how defensive he was on the presser about the team, especially after the interview reports, when Dean said Telesco "could do Chargers' player evaluations" on the go....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Diego Chargers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: