Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

who is number 1 pick now?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Diego Chargers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
swindlemaster

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:41 pm    Post subject: who is number 1 pick now? Reply with quote

now that Lewan and Matthews are staying in school,who will the Chargers pick in the first round?
Boltstrikes

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: who is number 1 pick now? Reply with quote

swindlemaster wrote:
now that Lewan and Matthews are staying in school,who will the Chargers pick in the first round?

It really hurts us that they both elected to stay in school. I don't see a LT capable of starting day one that will be available at 11. I am still a fan of Werner at 11 and grabbing Aboushi in the second.

We don't have the cap room to push hard for Albert, Clady or Long in free agency even if they are available. It's a tough predictament we are in. We need a Roman Oben.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trade down a little for Faulk would be nice.

Bohlmann20 (On The 95 Cleveland Browns Staff) wrote:
Lombardi - Isn't that the guy the trophy is named after? If so, top 3 coach of all time.

#JDI
The LBC

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: who is number 1 pick now? Reply with quote

Boltstrikes wrote:
swindlemaster wrote:

It really hurts us that they both elected to stay in school. I don't see a LT capable of starting day one that will be available at 11. I am still a fan of Werner at 11 and grabbing Aboushi in the second.

We don't have the cap room to push hard for Albert, Clady or Long in free agency even if they are available. It's a tough predictament we are in. We need a Roman Oben.

It's predicament. Wink

Also, any rookie LT who isn't an elite prospect struggles initially - the jump in talent faced as well as the strength/speed gap is just too great normally. I honestly didn't see a LT prospect in this draft (even with Matthews and Lewan in it) who was going to be Matt Kalil or Jake Long right out the gate (Clady had the benefit of a great scheme fit and there still being remnants of that championship Broncos OL like Tom Nalen). Lewan had the best potential to jump the gap earlier than the others, but that still would have required him making some quick adjustments to his technique. More likely we're looking at guy having a Eugene Monroe/Duane Brown type adjustment - some good, some bad... they're rookies.

I won't turn my nose up at Fisher at 11 because I happen to like his ceiling. The only reason I'm hesitant about Keke Mingo that high is that I'm not certain he sees the field enough as a rookie (or should is more appropriate). Mingo needs to add bulk so that he can disengage from blocks better, so he'd likely be in for Aldon Smith use as a rookie and you'd generally like a little more out of the 11th overall selection.

Telesco and Polian had a thing, at least I noticed, for drafting from the Pac-12 (then 10) when they were in Indy, so Dion Jordan's not entirely out of the question.

And then there's the fact that Telesco has already said his ideal draft is when the line of talent meets the line of need, but if it doesn't he isn't going to reach. Which would suggest he envisions a BPA philosophy.

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the top 10 passes on Fisher, they're all crazy, and I'll be really happy. He will be a stud LT.

"I am a leaf on the wind... Watch how I soar"
The LBC

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrDrew wrote:
If the top 10 passes on Fisher, they're all crazy, and I'll be really happy. He will be a stud LT.

I honestly feel like the combine's going to boost his stock big-time as will the Senior Bowl. I don't think he's going to look like the "reach" to go in the Top 10-15 that some are convinced he is right now... and a number of online scouts agree with me as well.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The LBC wrote:
MrDrew wrote:

I honestly feel like the combine's going to boost his stock big-time as will the Senior Bowl. I don't think he's going to look like the "reach" to go in the Top 10-15 that some are convinced he is right now... and a number of online scouts agree with me as well.

I've been on this side of the argument for a long, long time.

Rammy da best sigmaker of all time!

MrDrew wrote:
Everything about Rivers is Awkward, reminiscent of a Giraffe with Down's Syndrome
AntonioGates

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know the OL is a big issue and everyone wants that to be the top pick, but what about a guy like Dee Milliner who declared today?
The LBC

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AntonioGates wrote:
I know the OL is a big issue and everyone wants that to be the top pick, but what about a guy like Dee Milliner who declared today?

Only issue I have is that unless you're getting a literal "lock-down" Darrelle Revis prospect, it's not worth spending a 1st on a CB, when you can supplement to quality of your CB's through scheme and high-end pass-rush. You, on the other hand, can't do that for the passing game through anything other than an elite OL (Warmack's really the only one in this draft and he's only elite at the RG position) or an elite WR (see Moss, Calvin, Fitz etc.).

If we're talking passing on OL in the first, the best bet is grabbing at an elite-potential contributor at a similar premium position like pass-rusher (Bjoern Werner or, if we're willing to develop him, Keke Mingo).

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The LBC wrote:
AntonioGates wrote:

Only issue I have is that unless you're getting a literal "lock-down" Darrelle Revis prospect, it's not worth spending a 1st on a CB, when you can supplement to quality of your CB's through scheme and high-end pass-rush. You, on the other hand, can't do that for the passing game through anything other than an elite OL (Warmack's really the only one in this draft and he's only elite at the RG position) or an elite WR (see Moss, Calvin, Fitz etc.).

If we're talking passing on OL in the first, the best bet is grabbing at an elite-potential contributor at a similar premium position like pass-rusher (Bjoern Werner or, if we're willing to develop him, Keke Mingo).

On the flip side of that, having a CB that can hold coverage for an extra second could make the pass rush elite. How many times was there a QB hit without a sack because he got the ball off? A good pass rush can be great with even a decent secondary, and a good secondary can be great with a decent pass rush. You have to work on both, and right now the weaker of the 2 is the secondary.

Wilkieray

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What if we went Warmack RG 1st, Fluker RT 2nd and maybe try to sign Long at LT. I'd rather have Vasquez than Green if he has the ability to move to the left or have Warmack move left. Just throwing it out there to test the waters. It would be a complete change on the line. A little worried about Fluker keeping his weight under control but thats what conditioning coaches are for.
MrDrew

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wilkieray wrote:
What if we went Warmack RG 1st, Fluker RT 2nd and maybe try to sign Long at LT. I'd rather have Vasquez than Green if he has the ability to move to the left or have Warmack move left. Just throwing it out there to test the waters. It would be a complete change on the line. A little worried about Fluker keeping his weight under control but thats what conditioning coaches are for.

I would actually be ok with that. I actually like Fluker. There's some work to be done, but I think he'll be good when it's all said and done.

It's gonna take a lot to get Long.

JammerHammer21

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fluker just looks like a guard to me. He's biiiig. A little James Carpenter-ish.

Bohlmann20 (On The 95 Cleveland Browns Staff) wrote:
Lombardi - Isn't that the guy the trophy is named after? If so, top 3 coach of all time.

#JDI
Wilkieray

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it would do alot to sure up our offense and it would just be the first two rounds. We would have a chance to hit on CB/ILB/DT in the later rounds. Maybe someone like CB Amerson in the 3rd.
MrDrew

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JammerHammer21 wrote:
Fluker just looks like a guard to me. He's biiiig. A little James Carpenter-ish.

He's not quick, but he moves well. Blocks really well in the 2nd level, and holds his blocks. He reminds me of a smoother version of Phil Loadholt that can pass block a little better.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Diego Chargers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: