Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Oliver Vernon
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hisalness56

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:21 pm    Post subject: Oliver Vernon Reply with quote

In the event that good ole Jeff decides not to address the glaring need for a pass rusher this April (wouldnt be surprised Rolling Eyes ) what do you guys think of Oliver Vernon? He for sure made a few plays this year and the potential is there but how would you feel about him being the full time starter and how do you think he would perform in such a role
DOLFAN016

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Oliver Vernon Reply with quote

hisalness56 wrote:
In the event that good ole Jeff decides not to address the glaring need for a pass rusher this April (wouldnt be surprised Rolling Eyes ) what do you guys think of Oliver Vernon? He for sure made a few plays this year and the potential is there but how would you feel about him being the full time starter and how do you think he would perform in such a role

He has one of the best in the game to learn from, so he should be spending all offseason with Cam Wake. Cam is a very humble human being with a tremendous work ethic. Maybe some of that would rub off on to Olivier. Being a fan of The U I've seen him play the last 4 years now. The potential is there...he just needs to put it all together. And who better to learn from that Mr. 2-Time Pro Bowler himself.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vernon has all the tools--Explosion, speed, agility and football intelligence. The thing he needs is a position and refinement. If he is a DE then he needs to refine his pass rush moves, his counter moves and most importantly his hands. He needs to be able to gain the outside shoulder of the tackle and be able to play more with balance.

If he is a linebacker then let's work on his fundamentals in pass coverage and his ability to set a hard edge.

Phinisher on the Avatar
MDolphins2399 on the sig

Go Canes
freak_of_nature

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a sneaking suspicion that the staff might try to weather the storm next season with Vernon as our other starting DE.
Dalunatic16

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't mad if he was the full time starter.
He looks the part and showed some flashes. I wish he would have been here a year earlier. He would have also learned some thing from JT.

I like him better with his hand on the ground. Hopefully the phins take this offseason to turn him into a true DE.
Blagasse67

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we will end up signing Manny Lawson and Michael Johnson. With that said, i think Vernon will fill the same role that Manny Lawson has been playing for the Bengals

UniversalAuthor
ovaw8lover

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blagasse67 wrote:
I think we will end up signing Manny Lawson and Michael Johnson. With that said, i think Vernon will fill the same role that Manny Lawson has been playing for the Bengals

Think Huh?!?! What makes you think Miami will sign both Michael Johnson and Manny Lawson. There is no way that occurs. I doubt they get any one of them.

Vernon is a man without a position. I will not take him seriously until he change his jersey number.
freak_of_nature

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we had to skip fixing one hole on the team, DE is the one I feel most comfortable solving internally.
dolphan9954

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ovaw8lover wrote:
Blagasse67 wrote:

Think Huh?!?! What makes you think Miami will sign both Michael Johnson and Manny Lawson. There is no way that occurs. I doubt they get any one of them.

Vernon is a man without a position. I will not take him seriously until he change his jersey number.

I mean he can definitely be a full time DE or LB. He is big and strong enough to hold up at the point of attack, quick enough to get a rush. Also has the feet to play in space at OLB. They just need to pick one IMO.

Phinisher on the Avatar
MDolphins2399 on the sig

Go Canes
ProudDolphan47

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see a linebacker when I watch Vernon play. With that said, he can put his hand in the ground and get after it. I think he'd be a fine 4-3 End with more time committed to the position, but I think he'd excel more as a Sam. I think Vernon will be a staple of the Nickel package and I'd actually like to see them back him up full time and have Koa Misi give 4-3 End a shot.

Warpticon wrote:
I think Mike Wallace made a mistake because *throws turd at wall*
dolphan9954

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ProudDolphan47 wrote:
I see a linebacker when I watch Vernon play. With that said, he can put his hand in the ground and get after it. I think he'd be a fine 4-3 End with more time committed to the position, but I think he'd excel more as a Sam. I think Vernon will be a staple of the Nickel package and I'd actually like to see them back him up full time and have Koa Misi give 4-3 End a shot.

I think Misi or Vernon are the perfect third pass rusher. I think Vernon is a weapon because I could see him even succeeding inside sometimes on sure passing situations.

Phinisher on the Avatar
MDolphins2399 on the sig

Go Canes
Mercury22

Most Valuable Poster (1st Ballot)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We need to be able to find starters, good starters, in rounds 2 and 3. Olivier Vernon may not be ready for full time yet, I don't know, but when he was taken he should have been viewed as a future starter. Maybe he's a year away from being fulltime, maybe not. But he should not be viewed as a success if he isn't a starter soon or at the very least challenging for a lot more playing time this coming season. We can't continue to address the same needs year after year and expect to be a successful team.
dolphan9954

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mercury22 wrote:
We need to be able to find starters, good starters, in rounds 2 and 3. Olivier Vernon may not be ready for full time yet, I don't know, but when he was taken he should have been viewed as a future starter. Maybe he's a year away from being fulltime, maybe not. But he should not be viewed as a success if he isn't a starter soon or at the very least challenging for a lot more playing time this coming season. We can't continue to address the same needs year after year and expect to be a successful team.

He just needs refinement. Kacy Rodgers is one of the top DL coaches, if not the best in the game. From that aspect I would bet he succeeds way more than he fails.

Phinisher on the Avatar
MDolphins2399 on the sig

Go Canes
Mercury22

Most Valuable Poster (1st Ballot)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dolphan9954 wrote:
Mercury22 wrote:

He just needs refinement. Kacy Rodgers is one of the top DL coaches, if not the best in the game. From that aspect I would bet he succeeds way more than he fails.

Just to be clear, I'm not saying he will or won't bust. I am just saying the Dolphins need to start finding REGULAR success in rounds other than just the 1st. Vernon should be expected to start/contribute mightily. A 3rd rounder isn't a shot in the dark, its a guy that should succeed in the NFL. I think as Dolphins fans we are getting used to our 1st rounder succeeding and perhaps, one other guy from an entire draft being a part time player. We need to do MUCH better than that to be a winning club.
Daryl

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Vernon will do just fine with a season under his belt and a full off-season of NFL supervision in the weight room. However I think besides QB passrusher is the next position you take at least on a yr regardless. Every team uses a rotation n that magnifies the value.

I for one and praying we go pass-rusher First the best on on the board! Yes we had 42 sacks but that number doesn't tell the whole story. The last game of teh yr was a perfect example it look like we where playing two hand touch out there. If you want to be Brady or any other elite QB its simple put him on his back over n over again!

Its nice to talk DBs but if a QB is running for his life you can by with average DBs because he;s going to make bad decisions. Thats how the Giants beat them twice the yr no one else could slow them down.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: