Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Washington D.C. Major Wants Name Change for Was. Redskins
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
J Pep 4 Step

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nixa37 wrote:
J Pep 4 Step wrote:
Brodie wrote:
Seems like another case of people getting PC because someone else might get offended. I have no problem with a name change but I dont care either way with what happens with the name. If it is a really big issue get the native people to start a petition or something

There's really no "might" to it. People are offended.

I honestly think their might be a higher percentage of Caucasians offended by it than actual Native Americans. The polls I remember seeing always showed a relatively small percentage of Native Americans actually wanted it changed. If a significant percentage do want it changed, then I have no problem with them changing it.

Also, I find the name Fighting Irish offensive as someone of Irish descent. Can we work on forcing Notre Dame to change their names next?

Do you really find it offensive, or are you just trying to make a point?

Because I can tell you the "Fighting Irish" isnt a derogatory term. It's actually a celebration of the spirit of a people. "Redskin" is a completely different term with a completely different history and connotation. Not to mention the two peoples have very distinctly different histories in this country.

It's offensive. Period. You know it is. I know it is. If it was the Washington Blackskins and had a logo of an old black man it would have been changed 60 years ago. Or the Washington Yellowskins, and had some chinese dude in one of those pagoda hats. Or Brownskins, with some dude chillin in a sombrero. It's out of line, dude. And I am about the least PC person you will meet.

CK on the sig
El ramster

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wackywabbit wrote:
Athelite wrote:
Washington Warthogs

Maaaaan.... I thought I was being clever when I thought of it. Didn't know it was already an idea. There go my royalties... Wink

it's a sports blog on SB.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DontTazeMeBro wrote:
What's racist about Fighting Irish? I'm pretty sure they aren't basing the name on stereotypes about Irish people fighting a lot. Like Fighting Illini. They're Illini. And they are going to fight. They don't fight just because its what Illini do.

That is different than a race of people. Its a college that represents that state so it shouldnt be an issue. Notre Dame does not represent the Irish People

Adopt-A-Ram

Alec Ogeltree 109 combinded tackles, 1.5 sacks, 6 FF, 10 stuffs, 9 PD, 1 Int 1td.
nixa37

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DontTazeMeBro wrote:
What's racist about Fighting Irish? I'm pretty sure they aren't basing the name on stereotypes about Irish people fighting a lot. Like Fighting Illini. They're Illini. And they are going to fight. They don't fight just because its what Illini do.

Are you serious? That's almost certainly what it was based on.

From the Notre Dame athletics site: "The term likely began as an abusive expression tauntingly directed toward the athletes from the small, private, Catholic institution."
J Pep 4 Step

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nixa37 wrote:
DontTazeMeBro wrote:

From the Notre Dame athletics site: "The term likely began as an abusive expression tauntingly directed toward the athletes from the small, private, Catholic institution."

Again, its the celebration of the spirit of a people. How does that equate to a derogatory term like "Redskin?"

CK on the sig
HighHopes

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I say copy the browns and become the Reds. There's already a baseball team with that so it won't be so weird and every Browns and Reds game will be the Color Bowl!!
J Pep 4 Step

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HighHopes wrote:
I say copy the browns and become the Reds. There's already a baseball team with that so it won't be so weird and every Browns and Reds game will be the Color Bowl!!

I dont hate that idea. But I do like the Hogs (better than the Warthogs).

Washington Reds
Washington Hogs

Theyre both great.

Too bad Razorbacks are so well known in football. The Washington Razorbacks would have been nice too.

CK on the sig
nixa37

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J Pep 4 Step wrote:
nixa37 wrote:
J Pep 4 Step wrote:
Brodie wrote:
Seems like another case of people getting PC because someone else might get offended. I have no problem with a name change but I dont care either way with what happens with the name. If it is a really big issue get the native people to start a petition or something

I honestly think their might be a higher percentage of Caucasians offended by it than actual Native Americans. The polls I remember seeing always showed a relatively small percentage of Native Americans actually wanted it changed. If a significant percentage do want it changed, then I have no problem with them changing it.

Also, I find the name Fighting Irish offensive as someone of Irish descent. Can we work on forcing Notre Dame to change their names next?

Because I can tell you the "Fighting Irish" isnt a derogatory term. It's actually a celebration of the spirit of a people. "Redskin" is a completely different term with a completely different history and connotation. Not to mention the two peoples have very distinctly different histories in this country.

It's offensive. Period. You know it is. I know it is. If it was the Washington Blackskins and had a logo of an old black man it would have been changed 60 years ago. Or the Washington Yellowskins, and had some chinese dude in one of those pagoda hats. Or Brownskins, with some dude chillin in a sombrero. It's out of line, dude. And I am about the least PC person you will meet.

The funny thing is that you think the name Fighting Irish isn't derogatory, when it's origins probably were. Do people not realize their was a huge amount of prejudice directed towards the Irish when a large number integrated during the Potato Famine? Honestly, I'm particularly offended by the nickname, but I also realize it was rooted in the prejudiced stereotype that Irishmen were always fighting. I think it's roughly as offensive as the team name Fighting Sioux.

Also, that USA Today article I linked to actually says the name was changed in honor of the teams Native American coach, so it doesn't seem to have actually been rooted in anything negative, even though the name certainly sounds offensive today.
Joe_is_the_best

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just rename them the Skins and be done with it.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J Pep 4 Step wrote:
nixa37 wrote:
DontTazeMeBro wrote:

Again, its the celebration of the spirit of a people. How does that equate to a derogatory term like "Redskin?"

So you are completely ignorant the history of the Irish in America. In no way did that term Fighting Irish start out as a celebration of the spirit of the people. It was a negative stereotype about them being ill-tempered and quick to fight. Whether it was originally directed towards ND in that spirit we can't know, but that is what the original idea of the fighting Irishmen is based on.
The LBC

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SwiftTexan wrote:
Any suggestions? Most of the Washington sports teams pay tribute to their political status (Capitals/Nationals). I think the Redskins name and logo are iconic and historic but I can understand the motivation to change it as well.

The Washington Lincolns has a nice ring to it. Besides, it's not like Snyder doesn't have the scratch to hire Daniel Day Lewis to be the new mascot.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nixa37 wrote:
J Pep 4 Step wrote:
nixa37 wrote:
J Pep 4 Step wrote:
Brodie wrote:

The funny thing is that you think the name Fighting Irish isn't derogatory, when it's origins probably were. Do people not realize their was a huge amount of prejudice directed towards the Irish when a large number integrated during the Potato Famine? Honestly, I'm particularly offended by the nickname, but I also realize it was rooted in the prejudiced stereotype that Irishmen were always fighting. I think it's roughly as offensive as the team name Fighting Sioux.

Also, that USA Today article I linked to actually says the name was changed in honor of the teams Native American coach, so it doesn't seem to have actually been rooted in anything negative, even though the name certainly sounds offensive today.

I'm irish. I was born a redhead. Freckle faced. All of it. My kids were born redheads too. I know irish. I know Irish history. And no matter how it is we got here, our history isnt anywhere close to the native americans here in the states. Nor were we marginalized like the native american was and still is.

You walk up to 10, 000 irish americans and call them a fighting irish and theyll say "Hell Yeah." You walk up to 10,000 native americans and call them redskins and what reaction do you think you would get. Give me your honest to god answer.

CK on the sig
NYGiantsman10

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Considering how Redskins fans love their Hogs that Warthogs idea is pretty solid

Last edited by NYGiantsman10 on Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
green24

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheKillerNacho wrote:
Can see both sides here... while I would be pretty sad to see a storied NFL franchise to undergo a change of identity, I can certainly understand in this politically correct era that there would be some people wanting to change it. Glad I'm not a Redskins fan, or I'd probably be really upset. Either way, while I see it happening eventually, I don't see it happening very soon.

What do you guys think the best name would be, should they change it? Some I just thought of...

Washington Generals
Washington Politicians
Washington Sentinels
Washington Revolutionaries
Washington Rebels
Washington Senators
Washington Natives (Would allow them to keep their identity, I'd imagine... don't think Natives is offensive)
Washington Seminoles (see above)
Washington Redcoats (similar name, probably wouldn't be as drastic even though it would be ironically named after a British military force we defeated for independence)
Washington Skins (see above)

I can't see that one happening.

aceinthehouse wrote:
I'm so confident in the Skins this season (offensively), I think they challenge the Patriots scoring record.
Call it a hunch. Idea
daineraider

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just like when people call me white. I get so mad cuz really I'm mote of a peach color than white.

Seriously you over sensitive people what is going on. It's like your offended if an Indian isn't offended by redskin. Why should they be ashamed of their skin. I don't understand why everyone is so upset about it. Be proud of who you are and what color you are.

Sigged by Jamison

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8

Jump to: