Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

UPDATE: Kiffin DC, Marinelli DL, Nutt RB coach
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheVillain112

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

canadaluvsdalla wrote:
Blagasse67 wrote:
This is a good move for Dallas. I think Kiffin will move DWare around to confuse offense and he will turn Bruce Carter and Sean Lee in to very good LBs. My only question is at CB and according to Kiffin, he won't force the cover 2 on his CBs. He will slowly teach them.

Another reason this is a smart move is, since so many teams have moved to a 3-4, it is harder to find talent. This allows Dallas to do the opposite and start looking for 4-3 guys.

I can't wait to see what Demarcus Ware does in this system.

That's a good point.

Yes and No. The problem now is there isn't as much 4-3 talent as you'd expect coming out of college. Look at the top pass rushers in this draft: Jarvis Jones, Damontre Moore, Dion Jordan, Bjoern Werner, Sam Montgomery, Barkevious Mingo, Corey Lemonier etc...

Only Werner fits the Bengals scheme (And Moore & Montgomery possibly if they bulk up). Most of the talent is at the 3-4 OLB position. A lot of teams in college have gone smaller/leaner and quicker to combat all the spread offenses in college...
MaddHatter

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TommyC376 wrote:
How is D. Ware going to be with his hand in the ground now?

He's spent over 65% of his snaps the last 4+ years with his hand down so he'll be fine.

Sig courtesy of mack.
YoungBucs15

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

epicMustache wrote:
He'll be bringing you guys an exciting defense in the 4-3 Under. Albeit the man is a legend, fans in Tampa were growing frustrated with how stubborn and unreceptive to adaptation he was.

This has not changed and may have even gotten worse. This is why he failed at USC in my opinion. He refused to change his scheme to adjust to the speed that College is played at now. It's almost as if he was trying to prove that his scheme would work and it didn't. I understand if he was at a less talented school however that wasn't the case. While he didn't have the best depth due to the sanctions, there was no excuse to how we got killed by any teams with speed. To me it seems that the speed of the current game is too much for him. Great Football mind but too stubborn. This coming from a Bucs and USC fan.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaddHatter wrote:
TommyC376 wrote:

He's spent over 65% of his snaps the last 4+ years with his hand down so he'll be fine.
Didnt know that. Sean Lee will be a beast as a MLB.

FF Fanatic
Most Valuable Poster (5th Ballot)
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YoungBucs15 wrote:
epicMustache wrote:
He'll be bringing you guys an exciting defense in the 4-3 Under. Albeit the man is a legend, fans in Tampa were growing frustrated with how stubborn and unreceptive to adaptation he was.

This has not changed and may have even gotten worse. This is why he failed at USC in my opinion. He refused to change his scheme to adjust to the speed that College is played at now. It's almost as if he was trying to prove that his scheme would work and it didn't. I understand if he was at a less talented school however that wasn't the case. While he didn't have the best depth due to the sanctions, there was no excuse to how we got killed by any teams with speed. To me it seems that the speed of the current game is too much for him. Great Football mind but too stubborn. This coming from a Bucs and USC fan.

The Tampa 2 defense will always fail against the spread or a zone read option team, especially in college where the hash marks are further apart. With the MLB in the Tampa 2 often dropping into coverage, a 5 wide set stretches the LB group out dramatically, leaving the entire middle of the field open for either the option to run up the middle or pass to a wide open TE in the flat. We watched Oregon abuse USC using those very plays.

Co-Founder: DCRA - No McQuistan, No Super Bowl
Northland wrote:
If mediocrity is your SuperBowl then Garrett is your Lombardi.
eman9416

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

meh
indifference

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

plan9misfit wrote:
YoungBucs15 wrote:
epicMustache wrote:

The Tampa 2 defense will always fail against the spread or a zone read option team, especially in college where the hash marks are further apart. With the MLB in the Tampa 2 often dropping into coverage, a 5 wide set stretches the LB group out dramatically, leaving the entire middle of the field open for either the option to run up the middle or pass to a wide open TE in the flat. We watched Oregon abuse USC using those very plays.
That's true but the main concern is that he won't fix his scheme or play-calls when they don't work game after game. I'd say they work to keep games close but towards the latter he'll get outcoached by 2nd half adjustments. And because of the former, I like the Redskins in a clean sweep next season.
Matts4313

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
And Marinelli apparently has a destination in mind.

According to Ian Rapoport of the NFL Network, Marinelli is expected to go to Dallas to join the staff of new Cowboys defensive coordinator Monte Kiffin.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/01/17/marinelli-expected-to-join-kiffin-in-dallas/

Quote:
Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet

For those asking about ex-Bears DC Rod Marinelli, #Cowboys source says he "expects" Marinelli to join Kiffin's Dallas staff in some capacity

plan9misfit wrote:

If we're able to go 11-5 or better, then Garrett and his staff deserve to be coaches of the damned decade.
JMG

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheVillain112 wrote:
canadaluvsdalla wrote:
Blagasse67 wrote:
This is a good move for Dallas. I think Kiffin will move DWare around to confuse offense and he will turn Bruce Carter and Sean Lee in to very good LBs. My only question is at CB and according to Kiffin, he won't force the cover 2 on his CBs. He will slowly teach them.

Another reason this is a smart move is, since so many teams have moved to a 3-4, it is harder to find talent. This allows Dallas to do the opposite and start looking for 4-3 guys.

I can't wait to see what Demarcus Ware does in this system.

That's a good point.

Yes and No. The problem now is there isn't as much 4-3 talent as you'd expect coming out of college. Look at the top pass rushers in this draft: Jarvis Jones, Damontre Moore, Dion Jordan, Bjoern Werner, Sam Montgomery, Barkevious Mingo, Corey Lemonier etc...

Only Werner fits the Bengals scheme (And Moore & Montgomery possibly if they bulk up). Most of the talent is at the 3-4 OLB position. A lot of teams in college have gone smaller/leaner and quicker to combat all the spread offenses in college...

Very well said.

Although there are less teams looking for 4-3 talent, a lot of more players are being brought up in the 3-4/roles that have DEs stand up. NCAAF has a lot of DE/OLBs prospects being brought up.
PredatorPeppers

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matts4313 wrote:
Quote:
And Marinelli apparently has a destination in mind.

According to Ian Rapoport of the NFL Network, Marinelli is expected to go to Dallas to join the staff of new Cowboys defensive coordinator Monte Kiffin.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/01/17/marinelli-expected-to-join-kiffin-in-dallas/

Quote:
Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet

For those asking about ex-Bears DC Rod Marinelli, #Cowboys source says he "expects" Marinelli to join Kiffin's Dallas staff in some capacity

Marinelli is a great motivator and D line coach, good hire if this comes to fruition.
PredatorPeppers

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TommyC376 wrote:

I think he will struggle some against the run and could wear down facing more double teams. But he should still excel as a pass rusher.
Matts4313

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Jeff Sullivan ‏@SullyBaldHead Hope the fans appreciate that having Rod Marinelli as your DL coach is like having Jerry Jones mange your savings account. #overqualified

Jeff Sullivan ‏@SullyBaldHead
@OnPointDHH Has been reported by NFL Network, depends on your definition of official.

plan9misfit wrote:

If we're able to go 11-5 or better, then Garrett and his staff deserve to be coaches of the damned decade.
Matts4313

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glenn "the Stretch" Smith (Former Cowboys Scout, Radio interview on Galloway and Company, Cowboys Radio Station) just announced that the Cowboys have officially hired Marinelli as the new DL coach.

plan9misfit wrote:

MaddHatter

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PredatorPeppers wrote:
TommyC376 wrote:

I think he will struggle some against the run and could wear down facing more double teams. But he should still excel as a pass rusher.

Sure... if you ignore that he's had his hand on the ground for over 65% of his snaps for the last 5+ years...

Sig courtesy of mack.
Matts4313

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
clarencehilljr: Looks like former arkansas coach Houston Nutt will join cowboys as running backs coach and former Bears DC Rod Marinelli for DL coach

plan9misfit wrote:

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: