Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

UPDATE: Kiffin DC, Marinelli DL, Nutt RB coach
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jrry32

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marinelli is a great hire.

But would he do it in a Sharknado?
PredatorPeppers

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaddHatter wrote:
PredatorPeppers wrote:
TommyC376 wrote:
How is D. Ware going to be with his hand in the ground now?

I think he will struggle some against the run and could wear down facing more double teams. But he should still excel as a pass rusher.

Sure... if you ignore that he's had his hand on the ground for over 65% of his snaps for the last 5+ years...

Not saying I don't believe you, but do you have a link to back that up? I always thought Ware played primarily as a standing up outside linebacker.

I read this article the other day and it does have a point...

http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/columnists/rick-gosselin/20130111-gosselin-tony-dungy-says-kiffin-will-need-a-few-drafts-to-win-in-dallas.ece

The 4-3 scheme also will add a player up front and remove a linebacker. Logically, DeMarcus Ware would move to end and put his hand on the ground. He's a great pass rusher. What's the difference between a rush end and a rush linebacker?

I saw the difference in 1993 when the Kansas City Chiefs switched from a 3-4 scheme to a 4-3 and asked their Hall of Fame-bound pass rusher Derrick Thomas to put his hand on the ground. His sack count fell from 14 to eight in one season. In his first four years as a 3-4 weakside linebacker, Thomas collected 58 sacks. In his next four years as a 4-3 end, he managed only 40.

Thomas had to become more involved in the run game up front and found himself engaged in more direct skirmishes with offensive tackles. Physically, it took a toll on him. And Thomas made the switch to end when he was 26 years old. Ware would make the switch in 2013 at the age of 31.
CBears019

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marinelli was damn good for us, it really sucks to see him go. He definitely gets the best out of his DL, the Bears pass rush improved dramatically under him as DLC and DC.

Adopt-a-Bear: Martellus Bennett, TE
Rec: 36 Yds: 364 TD: 4

AZBearsFan wrote:

He's a playmaker though, and we can use more of those in the Devin.Fart
Tatupu_64

Location: Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matts4313 wrote:
Tooki wrote:
Seattle doesn't run a Cover 2. The Cover 2 arrived at USC when Pete Carroll left.

Quote:
In 2006 Bradley joined the Tampa Bay Buccaneers as their defensive quality control coach, working closely with defensive coordinator Monte Kiffin in the organization and implementation of the defensive game plan. In 2007 Bradley was promoted to linebackers coach after previous linebackers coach Joe Barry left to become defensive coordinator for the Detroit Lions.

On January 12, 2009, the Seattle Seahawks hired Bradley to become the teams new defensive coordinator.[3] He has been warmly recommended for the job by former Buccaneers defensive coordinator Monte Kiffin.[1]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casey_Bradley

As a Kiffin protege, I assumed he ran some of the similar defensive sets.
Rarely

ram29jackson wrote:
LO freaking L...Seahawks aren't repeating crap and you can book that
khodder

Moderator - MVP
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matts4313 wrote:
Quote:
clarencehilljr: Looks like former arkansas coach Houston Nutt will join cowboys as running backs coach and former Bears DC Rod Marinelli for DL coach

THAT is a good hire.

Conductor of the Keith Wenning bandwagon.
Zach Hodges is a 1st Round Pick in 2015.
canadaluvsdalla

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Rod hire props is on all Kiffin. No way he would have come here if it wasnt for him.

Jason Garrett wrote:
It's not about them, it's about us.
MaddHatter

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PredatorPeppers wrote:
MaddHatter wrote:
PredatorPeppers wrote:
TommyC376 wrote:

I think he will struggle some against the run and could wear down facing more double teams. But he should still excel as a pass rusher.

Sure... if you ignore that he's had his hand on the ground for over 65% of his snaps for the last 5+ years...

Not saying I don't believe you, but do you have a link to back that up? I always thought Ware played primarily as a standing up outside linebacker.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/columnists/rick-gosselin/20130111-gosselin-tony-dungy-says-kiffin-will-need-a-few-drafts-to-win-in-dallas.ece

The 4-3 scheme also will add a player up front and remove a linebacker. Logically, DeMarcus Ware would move to end and put his hand on the ground. He's a great pass rusher. What's the difference between a rush end and a rush linebacker?

I saw the difference in 1993 when the Kansas City Chiefs switched from a 3-4 scheme to a 4-3 and asked their Hall of Fame-bound pass rusher Derrick Thomas to put his hand on the ground. His sack count fell from 14 to eight in one season. In his first four years as a 3-4 weakside linebacker, Thomas collected 58 sacks. In his next four years as a 4-3 end, he managed only 40.

Thomas had to become more involved in the run game up front and found himself engaged in more direct skirmishes with offensive tackles. Physically, it took a toll on him. And Thomas made the switch to end when he was 26 years old. Ware would make the switch in 2013 at the age of 31.

I personally charted him every play the first half of this season and have charted our formations in previous years.

When we are base 3-4 he's up, when nickel or dime his hand is down. Mix in the exotics (@NT, MLB, etc) and its about a 2:1 split with his hand down.

Sig courtesy of mack.
MaddHatter

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CBears019 wrote:
Marinelli was damn good for us, it really sucks to see him go. He definitely gets the best out of his DL, the Bears pass rush improved dramatically under him as DLC and DC.

Hard to believe the guy who led one of the best defenses last year is now a DL Coach

Sig courtesy of mack.
PredatorPeppers

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaddHatter wrote:
PredatorPeppers wrote:
MaddHatter wrote:
PredatorPeppers wrote:
TommyC376 wrote:

I personally charted him every play the first half of this season and have charted our formations in previous years.

When we are base 3-4 he's up, when nickel or dime his hand is down. Mix in the exotics (@NT, MLB, etc) and its about a 2:1 split with his hand down.

Oh OK. Well what do you think man, will Ware be as good, better, or not as good as a full time DE?
Gene

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaddHatter wrote:
CBears019 wrote:

Hard to believe the guy who led one of the best defenses last year is now a DL Coach
Yeah, it's not very smart on his part. He already had good personnel in a high profile job in a high profile city and would have had a pretty long leash as far as making decisions for the defense goes.

Instead, he wants a pay cut to be a position coach with no control over anything. He's bananas.

Makes me wonder whether he thinks he can't handle the job without a defensive expert as his boss to watch over him.
Hiero

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PredatorPeppers wrote:
MaddHatter wrote:
PredatorPeppers wrote:
TommyC376 wrote:

that's all great but ware and Thomas are not the same player. Ware is like 20-30 lbs stronger and bigger and he can gain more weight for his new position if he wants to. totally different situation

Props to IDOG_det on the sig.
Superman(DH23)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gene wrote:
MaddHatter wrote:
CBears019 wrote:

Yeah, it's not very smart on his part. He already had good personnel in a high profile job in a high profile city and would have had a pretty long leash as far as making decisions for the defense goes.

Instead, he wants a pay cut to be a position coach with no control over anything. He's bananas.

Makes me wonder whether he thinks he can't handle the job without a defensive expert as his boss to watch over him.
he says its out of loyalty to his best friend, knowing what I know about Rod, I can definitely believe that to be true. Hopefully Mike Phair has been a sponge these last couple years.

2013 Bears Forum Mike Ditka Award Winner
2014 Adopt-A-Bear Alshon Jeffery
pigsooie5

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rod as a DL coach really is the best you can possibly get in the NFL... Although I fully believe Monte Kiffin is too stubborn to alter his Defensive philosophy which no longer is effective in the NFL unless you have elite personel... the cowboys do not. Rod seriously is incapable of gameplanning against the slant. I mean ask any green bay fan around, EVERY single 3rd down, Rodgers throws a seemingly easy slant for a 1st. Any time a QB runs the no huddle, theres no time for personel changes along the DLine which are crucial in the T2. Russell Wilson single handedly drove down and scored twice boom boom to win in OT. If you aren't getting pressure from yoour front 4, the backend of your D is going to get picked apart completely. Game-time adjustments were virtually non exisstent, Im not sure whether to credit that to Lovie or Rod or both... I will say this, he knows every in and out of the DL, he is supposedly one of the most inspirational and passionate coaches in the league today. Your players will definetely want to bust a$$ for the guy.

BEARS------BULLS------DODGERS------KINGS
Adopt-A-Bear: Kyle Long, Guard
Jakuvious

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hiero wrote:

that's all great but ware and Thomas are not the same player. Ware is like 20-30 lbs stronger and bigger and he can gain more weight for his new position if he wants to. totally different situation

Nevermind the fact that Thomas played at around 255 most of his career, and Ware is listed at 254....

Adopt-a-Chief: Travis "Better Than Tony Moeaki" Kelce
41 catches, 542 yards, 4 TDs
canadaluvsdalla

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
IRVING, Texas -- Rod Marinelli will be the Dallas Cowboys' next defensive line coach, according to a source.

Marinelli, at Valley Ranch on Friday, will reunite with defensive coordinator Monte Kiffin, with whom he worked with for 10 years in Tampa Bay before Marinelli took over as head coach in Detroit in 2006.

Its official

Jason Garrett wrote:
It's not about them, it's about us.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: