Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Jets to interview former Bears exec Jerry Angelo for G.M....
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
topwop1

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FREDDY T wrote:
If the jets were to clean house they would be much more appealing to GMs.

had an urge to state the obvious.

Seriously...don't know why the owner is still holding on to that goof Rex. He talks way too much and never backs it up. I think he's worn out his welcome in NY with the poor job he's done at coach and all the ridiculous things he's done in addition to that *cough*foot fetish video and mark sanchez tattoo*cough*.

Which potential up and coming GM is going to want to walk into a situation like that?
Badger75

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Jets to interview former Bears exec Jerry Angelo for G.M Reply with quote

Steelerspower wrote:
Jets to interview former Bears exec Jerry Angelo for G.M. opening

Quote:
Add another name to the New York Jets interview list.

According to Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News, the Jets will interview former Chicago Bears general manager Jerry Angelo for their general manager position on Thursday.

Angelo served as the Bears general manager for 11 years before being fired following the 2011 season. If the Jets hired Angelo, it would be only his third different job since 1987. Angelo served as a director of player personnel from the Tampa Bay Buccaneers from 1987-2000 before being named Bears general manager in 2001.

The Jets have also targeted Dolphins assistant G.M. Brian Gaine, Chargers director of player personnel Jimmy Raye, Giants director of college scouting Marc Ross and 49ers director of player personnel Tom Gamble.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/01/09/jets-to-interview-former-bears-exec-jerry-angelo-for-g-m-opening/

Thought?

Why would the NY Jets consider him? Before signing with the Bears in 2001, he interviewed with the Steelers. Look at the Bears drafts during his tenure. Entire drafts fell apart. He sent several All Pro's from the 2000 Bears team that went 13-3, to the NEP SB teams. No compensation. His 1-3 picks typically didn't last. He blames coaches. His media skills are not terrific.

Amazing.
Dr. Philly

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't think that the Jets could get worse.

simonwayne wrote:
LeBron has done for the NBA what Teen Mom has done for teenage pregnancies

#JDI
pigsooie5

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

green24 wrote:
pigsooie5 wrote:
Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
That is the WORST possible candidate for any job envolving the sport of football. Jet's fans better be praying every waking moment of the day this does not happen. They will continue their downward spiral into the biggest laughing stock in the NFL. Angelo is seriously that bad.

He's not close to a top candidate. We're just doing our due diligence and interviewing everyone. Yet, everyone loves an opportunity to bash the Jets.

No need for sensitivity... I'm not here to bash the Jets, Jerry Angelo was the head every bears fan in the country called for at every chance they got. He is unbelievably terrible. The fact that your ownership is even considering him speaks volumes to me about which direction the Jets are headed.

BEARS------BULLS------DODGERS------KINGS
Adopt-A-Bear: Kyle Long, Guard
green24

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pigsooie5 wrote:
green24 wrote:
pigsooie5 wrote:
Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
That is the WORST possible candidate for any job envolving the sport of football. Jet's fans better be praying every waking moment of the day this does not happen. They will continue their downward spiral into the biggest laughing stock in the NFL. Angelo is seriously that bad.

He's not close to a top candidate. We're just doing our due diligence and interviewing everyone. Yet, everyone loves an opportunity to bash the Jets.

No need for sensitivity... I'm not here to bash the Jets, Jerry Angelo was the head every bears fan in the country called for at every chance they got. He is unbelievably terrible. The fact that your ownership is even considering him speaks volumes to me about which direction the Jets are headed.

I wasn't really directing that at you, more at the comments in the thread in general.

I know our ownership sucks. However, I have been impressed by some of the names that we have brought in for interviews. We have had six interviews just in the past two days alone.
skatebeanz

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel for Jet fans. This guy kept a possible elite Bears team down for years. Laughing

Every NFCN fans wept when he got fired.

Sig bet
Jetsman82

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's just one of many being interviewed. I'm not really panicking about this, yet. Kind of not really worth being discussed since there's probably been 11 or 12 different interviews done. Other than that whole Gamble thing early on, no one has really separated themselves in seems. Guys like Khan, Idzik and Kapp are being interviewed now as well, and those three all would be solid choices.
green24

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jetsman82 wrote:
He's just one of many being interviewed. I'm not really panicking about this, yet. Kind of not really worth being discussed since there's probably been 11 or 12 different interviews done. Other than that whole Gamble thing early on, no one has really separated themselves in seems. Guys like Khan, Idzik and Kapp are being interviewed now as well, and those three all would be solid choices.

Are you talking about Popp? I think one of those three gets the job. Scott Cohen, Tom Gamble, and Brian Gaine are also in the mix.
The LBC

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jetsman82 wrote:

Dunno with Khan. Or at least, I don't know that he cashes in his golden ticket to be saddled with Rex. Khan's a Brian Xanders/Ed McGuire type - he's a numbers/business guy not a talent eval guy from everything I've seen. Khan's also been the GM name most associated with any talks of Cowher returning to coaching... largely because Khan is a numbers guy and it's widely rumored that if Cowher were to return, he'd require personnel empowerment (something he's never had before).

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FREDDY T wrote:
If the jets were to clean house they would be much more appealing to GMs.

had an urge to state the obvious.

I honestly don't think its that much of a factor and has been overblown. The bigger factor has been the cap situation. And even still, the Jets haven't offered anyone the job yet. People are making a bigger deal out of the Jets situation then what is really happening. I see people out there acting like everyone is declining the Jets job. When only 1 guy canceled his interview and that was because he was concerned with the cap situation, had no problem working with Rex, that was Tom Heckert.

Bill Polian wasn't going to join any team, and the Jets may not have been that interested anyways. Eric Decosta wasn't joining anyone.

The problem with Tom Gamble was the Jets weren't impressed with his interview, hes been passed over by others as well. Same thing with Marc Ross, he comes off the wrong way towards teams. So the Jets expanded their search since no one wowed them yet.

Jerry Angelo is one of around 6 guys they are interviewed in the last 2 days. They are interviewing some good names out there still.

Props to El Ramster on the sig
Slaymont Harris

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Jets to interview former Bears exec Jerry Angelo for G.M Reply with quote

Badger75 wrote:

Why would the NY Jets consider him? Before signing with the Bears in 2001, he interviewed with the Steelers. Look at the Bears drafts during his tenure. Entire drafts fell apart. He sent several All Pro's from the 2000 Bears team that went 13-3, to the NEP SB teams. No compensation. His 1-3 picks typically didn't last. He blames coaches. His media skills are not terrific.

Yeah, but his press conferences were amusing because of all of his odd and confusing sayings: "whistling dixie", "dirty pool", etc. He's truly the Ross Perot of general managers.
ChiSportsFan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Jets will hold follow-up discussions with at least two GM candidates they have interviewed. Name to watch: former Bears GM Jerry Angelo.

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/290483930711334913

From one bad GM to another, if Angelo is hired as the Jets new GM
Jaguarfan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FIrst order of business for Angelo: hiring Cam Cameron

I hate the Jaguars
green24

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
@AdamSchefter
Jets plan to have follow-up discussions for GM job with former Bears GM Jerry Angelo, Jets assistant GM Scott Cohen and Steelers' Omar Kahn.

LET'S GO KHAAAAAAAAN!
JammerHammer21

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

green24 wrote:
Quote:
@AdamSchefter
Jets plan to have follow-up discussions for GM job with former Bears GM Jerry Angelo, Jets assistant GM Scott Cohen and Steelers' Omar Kahn.

LET'S GO KHAAAAAAAAN!

I don't know why you'd want Khan considering he's a cap guy, not evaluator....

Bohlmann20 (On The 95 Cleveland Browns Staff) wrote:
Lombardi - Isn't that the guy the trophy is named after? If so, top 3 coach of all time.

#JDI

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: