Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Browns hire Rob Chudzinski as HC, Signs a 4-year, $12M deal
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
james.mcmurry13


Moderator
Joined: 28 Dec 2006
Posts: 32237
Location: North Carolina
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fretgod99 wrote:
nugpimpen wrote:
EZ FTW.

The legit comments and worries are understandable and welcomed.

The random Browns being Browns or Browns are cheap comments make no sense and are borderline trolling.
For what it's worth, I think it's a solid hire. I'm just hoping for your guys' sake that he learned from his OC mistakes in Carolina. When he was on, he was very good. But he'd get stubborn with his scheme and periodically the situational playcalling would make you scratch your head.


I think a lot of his mistakes were born from trying to do too much with Cam (read options, fancy pants playcalls, etc). With Weeden, I don't see that as an issue. And I think the Browns receivers will be great with a Coryell style downofield passing game.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
J Pep 4 Step


Joined: 01 Apr 2007
Posts: 28802
Location: Greenvillain, NC
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

james.mcmurry13 wrote:
fretgod99 wrote:
nugpimpen wrote:
EZ FTW.

The legit comments and worries are understandable and welcomed.

The random Browns being Browns or Browns are cheap comments make no sense and are borderline trolling.
For what it's worth, I think it's a solid hire. I'm just hoping for your guys' sake that he learned from his OC mistakes in Carolina. When he was on, he was very good. But he'd get stubborn with his scheme and periodically the situational playcalling would make you scratch your head.


I think a lot of his mistakes were born from trying to do too much with Cam (read options, fancy pants playcalls, etc). With Weeden, I don't see that as an issue. And I think the Browns receivers will be great with a Coryell style downofield passing game.


I honestly question how much of that was Chud/Rivera and how much of it was the big man upstairs demanding we "make a star" out of Newton.

I think Chud is a quality "X's and O's" kinda guy. I am excited to see if he can be a HC. I'm not happy to see him go and I wish him luck.
_________________

CK on the sig
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
BringinDaPain


Joined: 26 Dec 2011
Posts: 3874
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superman(DH23) wrote:
Wow that sux for Ron Rivera and Panthers fans


In NO way did losing Chud hurt us, as many fans will tell you. Many fans are kind of happy that he did leave.
_________________

2012 DROY Winner - Luke Kuechly 164 tackles, 2 Int, 1 sack, 11 TFLs, 8 PD and 3 Fumble recoveries
Luke Kuechly - 2013 Defensive Player of the Year
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
FourThreeMafia


Joined: 28 Sep 2006
Posts: 47277
Location: East of Sixburgh
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fsubrowns9510 wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:
RaidersAreOne wrote:
If Norv Turner goes to Cleveland along with Chud, the Browns O will be nasty!!!


We have very different interpretations of that term, then.

Chud sucks....and Derek Anderson wasnt even good under him.

The Browns iMO just went backwards.


From 3rd string to
298/527 56.5%
3,787 Yards
29 TD
19 INT

Not a good season?

Ok.


One fluke season that wasnt even that good.

Those numbers are nothing special, and beyond numbers, he looked pretty bad most of the season. He had a few big games that inflated his numbers. Outside of 4 or 5 games, he was below average that season.

Oh, and answer me this. Aside from that one season, what has Chud ever done?

Not a good season.

Okay.

Anyway....you dont necessarily have to be a good coordinator to be a good HC. Different roles and he COULD be better in this one. I personally just dont think its a good hire.
_________________

simonwayne wrote:
We ain't got nothing man, just a chiefs win, thats all you get...And next week it will be wash, rinse, repeat.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
FourThreeMafia


Joined: 28 Sep 2006
Posts: 47277
Location: East of Sixburgh
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

candyman93 wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:
RaidersAreOne wrote:
If Norv Turner goes to Cleveland along with Chud, the Browns O will be nasty!!!


We have very different interpretations of that term, then.

Chud sucks....and Derek Anderson wasnt even good under him.

The Browns iMO just went backwards.


It's not possible to have gone backwards


How can you even say that?

The Browns have definitely been worse in the past than the have in recent years. IMO, they were heading in the right direction. They are just a young team that needs a better direction. Im not saying the Browns didnt need a change at HC, but Chud IMO is not the ideal guy.

Im not saying this is definitely a bad move, but when a team is moving forward, and gets rid of the GM that helped them move forward and hires a HC who was never even that good of a coordinator...Im sorry, but that just looks like going backwards.
_________________

simonwayne wrote:
We ain't got nothing man, just a chiefs win, thats all you get...And next week it will be wash, rinse, repeat.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
buno67


Joined: 15 Mar 2007
Posts: 30026
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
candyman93 wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:
RaidersAreOne wrote:
If Norv Turner goes to Cleveland along with Chud, the Browns O will be nasty!!!


We have very different interpretations of that term, then.

Chud sucks....and Derek Anderson wasnt even good under him.

The Browns iMO just went backwards.


It's not possible to have gone backwards


How can you even say that?

The Browns have definitely been worse in the past than the have in recent years. IMO, they were heading in the right direction. They are just a young team that needs a better direction. Im not saying the Browns didnt need a change at HC, but Chud IMO is not the ideal guy.

Im not saying this is definitely a bad move, but when a team is moving forward, and gets rid of the GM that helped them move forward and hires a HC who was never even that good of a coordinator...Im sorry, but that just looks like going backwards.


its hard to judge the GM move when a new GM hasnt been hired yet and hasnt had a chance to make anymoves...so verdict is still out on that.

yes the browns were going forward but IMO they werent going forward because Shurmur was becoming a great coach, I think they were improving because the players were becoming more experience and were growing as players. The players werre growing and developing more than the HC.

If Chud hires the right OC and DC it could make a big impact. I think it is an improvement because if Chud and Norv are the offensive coaches than the roster is perfect for them. The talent the Browns have fit their offensive schemes perfect unlike Shurmur.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
FourThreeMafia


Joined: 28 Sep 2006
Posts: 47277
Location: East of Sixburgh
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

buno67 wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:
candyman93 wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:
RaidersAreOne wrote:
If Norv Turner goes to Cleveland along with Chud, the Browns O will be nasty!!!


We have very different interpretations of that term, then.

Chud sucks....and Derek Anderson wasnt even good under him.

The Browns iMO just went backwards.


It's not possible to have gone backwards


How can you even say that?

The Browns have definitely been worse in the past than the have in recent years. IMO, they were heading in the right direction. They are just a young team that needs a better direction. Im not saying the Browns didnt need a change at HC, but Chud IMO is not the ideal guy.

Im not saying this is definitely a bad move, but when a team is moving forward, and gets rid of the GM that helped them move forward and hires a HC who was never even that good of a coordinator...Im sorry, but that just looks like going backwards.


its hard to judge the GM move when a new GM hasnt been hired yet and hasnt had a chance to make anymoves...so verdict is still out on that.

yes the browns were going forward but IMO they werent going forward because Shurmur was becoming a great coach, I think they were improving because the players were becoming more experience and were growing as players. The players werre growing and developing more than the HC.

If Chud hires the right OC and DC it could make a big impact. I think it is an improvement because if Chud and Norv are the offensive coaches than the roster is perfect for them. The talent the Browns have fit their offensive schemes perfect unlike Shurmur.


Im not judging the GM move, per se, just that they got rid of a GM who was starting to find the right pieces. Maybe a new GM will be better, or maybe he will undo all of the good things.

As for Norv...he is a better OC than a HC, but still not nearly as good as many claim. He is good at developing QB, but overall, is nothing too special as an OC.

And while its still too soon to say, nothing I saw from Weeden this season makes me think he can take the Browns to the next level.

PS...the only reason I mentioned Weeden was because I was talking about Norv developing QBs. Wasnt meant to really knock on BW.
_________________

simonwayne wrote:
We ain't got nothing man, just a chiefs win, thats all you get...And next week it will be wash, rinse, repeat.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
buno67


Joined: 15 Mar 2007
Posts: 30026
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:

Im not judging the GM move, per se, just that they got rid of a GM who was starting to find the right pieces. Maybe a new GM will be better, or maybe he will undo all of the good things.

As for Norv...he is a better OC than a HC, but still not nearly as good as many claim. He is good at developing QB, but overall, is nothing too special as an OC.

And while its still too soon to say, nothing I saw from Weeden this season makes me think he can take the Browns to the next level.

PS...the only reason I mentioned Weeden was because I was talking about Norv developing QBs. Wasnt meant to really knock on BW.


yeah i cant wait to see them hire a GM

Norv isnt a greatest OC but him ad Chud working together can make up for each others weaknesses.

IMO Weeden is still a ? because Shurmur didnt not use him properly. Weeden was great in college because Gundy attacked the defenses. Gundy and Weeden dictated what opposing defenses could do because of their offense. IMO the way shurmur called plays he allowed opposing defenses to dictate what he was going to call. He never tried to force the defenses hand but the defenses forced Shurmurs hands. Im thinking with Chud and Norv at the helm they will be on attack more and allow Weeden to truly show of his arm. So this season will show truly what Weeden is made out of this year
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
wukusimw


Joined: 08 Mar 2011
Posts: 168
Location: Nasty Nati
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weeden had some great late game throws under pressure throwing deep against the Ravens and Indy that would have tied it up or given the lead. Not to mention in the second Ravens game eventually got us in the end zone for the lead but was called back due to illegal formation. If it weren't for the soft D against Dallas he would have gotten that one done to.

A vertical passing game should help both him and TRich. Shurmur was getting better as a HC but early on in the season he was predictable, didn't use his players correctly, and made a lot of head-scratching calls. Such us only converting 1 out of 10 3rd and 1's?

Certainly don't think it will be a step backwards, everyone saw Shurmur's post game speeches...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
The LBC


Global Moderator
Joined: 12 Jan 2008
Posts: 21164
Location: Where We Can't Have Nice Things
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

buno67 wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:
candyman93 wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:
RaidersAreOne wrote:
If Norv Turner goes to Cleveland along with Chud, the Browns O will be nasty!!!


We have very different interpretations of that term, then.

Chud sucks....and Derek Anderson wasnt even good under him.

The Browns iMO just went backwards.


It's not possible to have gone backwards


How can you even say that?

The Browns have definitely been worse in the past than the have in recent years. IMO, they were heading in the right direction. They are just a young team that needs a better direction. Im not saying the Browns didnt need a change at HC, but Chud IMO is not the ideal guy.

Im not saying this is definitely a bad move, but when a team is moving forward, and gets rid of the GM that helped them move forward and hires a HC who was never even that good of a coordinator...Im sorry, but that just looks like going backwards.


its hard to judge the GM move when a new GM hasnt been hired yet and hasnt had a chance to make anymoves...so verdict is still out on that.

yes the browns were going forward but IMO they werent going forward because Shurmur was becoming a great coach, I think they were improving because the players were becoming more experience and were growing as players. The players werre growing and developing more than the HC.

If Chud hires the right OC and DC it could make a big impact. I think it is an improvement because if Chud and Norv are the offensive coaches than the roster is perfect for them. The talent the Browns have fit their offensive schemes perfect unlike Shurmur.

And you can determine development off a single-year sample size? Look, I get that you're going to be optimistic (as I most likely will be - or try to be - when my team hires a new HC), but optimism that isn't grounded in reality isn't really much different from fantasy.

I saw at one point in another thread you were celebrating Norv having a Top 15 offense... you do realize that means his offense was only slightly above the league average right? (15/32) I just have to wonder whether you, and a number of others, are basing your expected "success" of Norv entirely off of stats and not off of watching his actual play-calling and in-game adjustments. This is coming from someone who defended Norv against the haters for several years, but eventually even I saw the light because the proof was in the pudding.

Is Chud going to have a degree of influence over how the offense is run? Sure. But his lack of experience in the big job means, as history has shown us with most other rookie HC's, he's going to lean heavily on the senior members of his staff and the ones he trusts the most. And having followed Norv closely for the last 6+ years, I can tell you he's not accepting an OC gig that doesn't give him a pretty significant amount of leeway with running the O how he wants to - Norv's got an ego on him, despite his reputation for being "a nice guy".
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
buno67


Joined: 15 Mar 2007
Posts: 30026
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The LBC wrote:

I saw at one point in another thread you were celebrating Norv having a Top 15 offense... you do realize that means his offense was only slightly above the league average right? (15/32) I just have to wonder whether you, and a number of others, are basing your expected "success" of Norv entirely off of stats and not off of watching his actual play-calling and in-game adjustments. This is coming from someone who defended Norv against the haters for several years, but eventually even I saw the light because the proof was in the pudding.
Well its hard to truly judge Norv when its hard to watch Charger games in Cleveland. When Rivers wasnt being dumb Norv ran a good offense. In Cleveland getting an offense that is ranked in the teens would be huge. You know how many more wins the Browns would have since they have come back if their offense was a little bit more league Avg. In 2007 the Browns had the 8th ranked offense in the league, but besides that year the last time the Browns had an offense that was 16 or better was 1994! So as a Browns fan getting a potential top half of the league offense would be huge. Saying being a top15 offense is high standards but the Browns have lost a lot of low scoring games that having just abother 7-10points would of been huge to them and if the browns were able to avg just abother 7-10points they would at least have a offense ranked in the teens


The LBC wrote:
Is Chud going to have a degree of influence over how the offense is run? Sure. But his lack of experience in the big job means, as history has shown us with most other rookie HC's, he's going to lean heavily on the senior members of his staff and the ones he trusts the most. And having followed Norv closely for the last 6+ years, I can tell you he's not accepting an OC gig that doesn't give him a pretty significant amount of leeway with running the O how he wants to - Norv's got an ego on him, despite his reputation for being "a nice guy".

Yeah Norv would have an ego and I would want that. I dont want coaches having to put up with players crap. I rather have Norv be in charge of the offense so Chud can handle the entire time instead of showing favoritism to the defense. Im hoping Chud also hires himself a very good DC someone like Mel Tucker or Lovie Smith (pipedream) that it could take pressure off of Chud worrying about the defense or offense but he can just worry about the team and etc
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
candyman93


Joined: 02 Dec 2009
Posts: 40359
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
candyman93 wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:
RaidersAreOne wrote:
If Norv Turner goes to Cleveland along with Chud, the Browns O will be nasty!!!


We have very different interpretations of that term, then.

Chud sucks....and Derek Anderson wasnt even good under him.

The Browns iMO just went backwards.


It's not possible to have gone backwards


How can you even say that?

The Browns have definitely been worse in the past than the have in recent years. IMO, they were heading in the right direction. They are just a young team that needs a better direction. Im not saying the Browns didnt need a change at HC, but Chud IMO is not the ideal guy.

Im not saying this is definitely a bad move, but when a team is moving forward, and gets rid of the GM that helped them move forward and hires a HC who was never even that good of a coordinator...Im sorry, but that just looks like going backwards.


How were we heading the right way if it didn't translate to wins. Until Cleveland starts winning they have nowhere to go but up.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
The LBC


Global Moderator
Joined: 12 Jan 2008
Posts: 21164
Location: Where We Can't Have Nice Things
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

buno67 wrote:
The LBC wrote:

I saw at one point in another thread you were celebrating Norv having a Top 15 offense... you do realize that means his offense was only slightly above the league average right? (15/32) I just have to wonder whether you, and a number of others, are basing your expected "success" of Norv entirely off of stats and not off of watching his actual play-calling and in-game adjustments. This is coming from someone who defended Norv against the haters for several years, but eventually even I saw the light because the proof was in the pudding.
Well its hard to truly judge Norv when its hard to watch Charger games in Cleveland. When Rivers wasnt being dumb Norv ran a good offense. In Cleveland getting an offense that is ranked in the teens would be huge. You know how many more wins the Browns would have since they have come back if their offense was a little bit more league Avg. In 2007 the Browns had the 8th ranked offense in the league, but besides that year the last time the Browns had an offense that was 16 or better was 1994! So as a Browns fan getting a potential top half of the league offense would be huge. Saying being a top15 offense is high standards but the Browns have lost a lot of low scoring games that having just abother 7-10points would of been huge to them and if the browns were able to avg just abother 7-10points they would at least have a offense ranked in the teens


The LBC wrote:
Is Chud going to have a degree of influence over how the offense is run? Sure. But his lack of experience in the big job means, as history has shown us with most other rookie HC's, he's going to lean heavily on the senior members of his staff and the ones he trusts the most. And having followed Norv closely for the last 6+ years, I can tell you he's not accepting an OC gig that doesn't give him a pretty significant amount of leeway with running the O how he wants to - Norv's got an ego on him, despite his reputation for being "a nice guy".

Yeah Norv would have an ego and I would want that. I dont want coaches having to put up with players crap. I rather have Norv be in charge of the offense so Chud can handle the entire time instead of showing favoritism to the defense. Im hoping Chud also hires himself a very good DC someone like Mel Tucker or Lovie Smith (pipedream) that it could take pressure off of Chud worrying about the defense or offense but he can just worry about the team and etc

To the bolded, you lost all credibility to make that statement when you stated the sentence prior to it. You're spinning excuses to try and fit them to your argument. Rivers' poor play is only further proof that Norv is overrated as a coordinator. Now, if you actually watched the games like you said you haven't, you'd have seen that a good chunk of Rivers' poor play was due to the fact that Norv, realizing he had a bottom 3 OL in the league that was collecting a new injury with each passing week, STILL refused to adapt his scheme and instead sent nearly all the receivers on long-routes requiring seven-step drops from his far-from-mobile QB. That's not an intelligent coordinator, that's a stubborn as a mule "I'm gonna fit this square peg in this round hole no matter how many times I have to hit it with the hammer" coordinator.

I'm really done making my point. I don't need to keep arguing this, Norv will make my point for me. And you'll see the results yourself when next season starts up and his offense is as predictable drive-to-drive, week-to-week as ever. Hope to God that you can get up early in the 1st half and your defense is able to hold that lead in the 2nd half, because Norv's ability to make 2nd half adjustments has turned to crap of late.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jrry32


Joined: 04 Jan 2011
Posts: 43692
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like Josh McGenious.
_________________

The LBC wrote:
Harper41 wrote:
Don't worry. Sean Payton would pass the ball in a Tornado.

But would he do it in a Sharknado?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Selkiesxx


Joined: 16 Jan 2010
Posts: 1540
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This move helps both teams, in my opinion.

While creative, Chud never really gave Cam Newton "real QB" responsibilities and too often relied on Cam's athleticism. Chud was responsible for the play-calling.

Chud in Cleveland will likely bring Norv Turner with him. As a head coach, he can succeed, I believe -- as a coordinator -- not the way you'd like. Combine Chud and Norv together? I would think Brandon Weeden is smiling somewhere thinking about Phillip Rivers in 2007-09.
_________________
Newest Mock Draft .:. 1.11.13

@BodamEscapePlan (Twitter)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group