Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Rams hire Rob Ryan as DC (?)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kethnaab

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jrry32 wrote:

Rams will not be running a 3-4 and Dunbar is not a 3-4 OLB. Long would be a 3-4 OLB.

nah, he'd be a penetrating 3-4 DE a la Justin Smith or JJ Watt type
jrry32

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kethnaab wrote:
jrry32 wrote:

Rams will not be running a 3-4 and Dunbar is not a 3-4 OLB. Long would be a 3-4 OLB.

He definitely wouldn't be best off in that role. Couldn't handle the run stopping duties.

Would be better off as a 3-4 OLB...but frankly, he's a 4-3 DE through and through. Which is why it'd be a bad move for the Rams to go to the 3-4.

But would he do it in a Sharknado?
rob_shadows

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jrry32 wrote:
kethnaab wrote:
jrry32 wrote:

He definitely wouldn't be best off in that role. Couldn't handle the run stopping duties.

Would be better off as a 3-4 OLB...but frankly, he's a 4-3 DE through and through. Which is why it'd be a bad move for the Rams to go to the 3-4.

Umm...what? I mean your a rams fan so it feels weird doubting you on this as you watch him more than I do but long was an absolute beast at Virginia in the 3-4 I remember his senior year very well, over 70 tackles and 14 sacks in that 3-4...I remember it because I couldn't believe he did it, remember thinking how unreal 14 sacks were for a 3-4 end.

2014 AAL: DE Larry Webster III

Stats: N/A

2014 AAL: DE George Johnson

Tackles: 10, TFL: 2, Sacks: 1.5
nugpimpen

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rob_shadows wrote:
jrry32 wrote:
kethnaab wrote:
jrry32 wrote:

Umm...what? I mean your a rams fan so it feels weird doubting you on this as you watch him more than I do but long was an absolute beast at Virginia in the 3-4 I remember his senior year very well, over 70 tackles and 14 sacks in that 3-4...I remember it because I couldn't believe he did it, remember thinking how unreal 14 sacks were for a 3-4 end.

Was gonna say, the dude was a monster 3-4 DE in college.

IDOG_det on the incredible sig!
MNPackfan32

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nugpimpen wrote:
rob_shadows wrote:
jrry32 wrote:
kethnaab wrote:
jrry32 wrote:

And that was the ACC. At 6-3 270-275 he would be one of the thinnest 5-tech's in the NFL, heck even our nickle package pass rush DE's Mike Neal and Mike Daniels are 290 or better, everybody in our base 3-4 defense is listed at 300lbs or more. He would be more like Justin Houston or Nick Perry and be a big stand up OLB, but I think his best fit is a 4-3 DE.

Duff Man wrote:
MNPackfan32 wrote:
Josh Sitton, Mike Daniels

Average at best
DontTazeMeBro

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think every single coach is as scheme dependent as everyone thinks. With the players they have I'd be surprised if they make the switch. IIRC we were having the same conversation when Nolan went to Atlanta.

SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
1/10. Not a fan[of C.J. Mosley]. Just another future failed Alabama product.
BurheadTitans

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wr80 wrote:

But seriously [inappropriate/removed] yeah =D

Best. GIF. EVER. Laughing
Baseball: Cincinnati Reds

Tennessee Titans (FFMD 2014) Offensive Coordinator
Tatupu_64

Location: Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:
Guys, Ryan can run the 4-3.
Seriously... a good DC adapts. People get way too stuck in thinking just because a guy ran a 3-4 in his last gig that's all he runs

ram29jackson wrote:
LO freaking L...Seahawks aren't repeating crap and you can book that
justwinbaby81

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tatupu_64 wrote:
Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:
Seriously... a good DC adapts. People get way too stuck in thinking just because a guy ran a 3-4 in his last gig that's all he runs

He can run a 4-3, he just can't run it well. Oakland's personnel for the 4-3 was at least as hood as St Louis' now. He should run a 3-4, I think the Rams have good personnel for that.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jason Garrett wrote:
It's not about them, it's about us.
Ramsfan28

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MNPackfan32 wrote:
nugpimpen wrote:
rob_shadows wrote:
jrry32 wrote:
kethnaab wrote:
jrry32 wrote:

And that was the ACC. At 6-3 270-275 he would be one of the thinnest 5-tech's in the NFL, heck even our nickle package pass rush DE's Mike Neal and Mike Daniels are 290 or better, everybody in our base 3-4 defense is listed at 300lbs or more. He would be more like Justin Houston or Nick Perry and be a big stand up OLB, but I think his best fit is a 4-3 DE.

Couldn't have said it better myself. In college he didn't have to go up against Anthony Davis and Russell Okung twice a year. As well as he has performed, we have all seen how much a good DT to help him out has been in improving the run defense.

Besides, forget about Long, the more important questions remain who would be the ILB's and OLB's? Or how about the DT? The Rams have some good 4-3 talent that took some trial and error to grab. I would be irritated if they spent another 3 years trying to piece together a completely different defense.

Adopt-a-Ram
CB Janoris Jenkins
9 TKL, 1 FF

ViolentMonk71 wrote:

We're football fans...reactionary, delusional, and passionate...
jrry32

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

justwinbaby81 wrote:
Tatupu_64 wrote:
Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:

He can run a 4-3, he just can't run it well. Oakland's personnel for the 4-3 was at least as hood as St Louis' now. He should run a 3-4, I think the Rams have good personnel for that.

He'll be running a 4-3 here. But no, Oakland's personnel was not at all as good as the Rams' now. You're BSing us.

rob_shadows wrote:
jrry32 wrote:
kethnaab wrote:
jrry32 wrote:

Yep, I quite remember Long at UVA as a 3-4 DE. But there's a pretty large difference between the ACC and NFL. I saw him struggle as a run stopper this year and he's never been good at getting off blocks in the run game.

It would be a terrible decision for our run defense to use Long as a 3-4 DE. He could not handle the responsibility, we'd get gashed to that side of the field.

But would he do it in a Sharknado?
RainbowCarebear

Location: "Are you hungry, child?" Yes, she thought, but not for food.
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the HC who's a 4-3 coach would change to the 3-4, because of his new hired DC have run the 3-4 the past couple of years... Makes sense.

"Do you imagine Whoresbane loves you any better? If you did not hold the ..., he would pull out your entrails and make you eat them"
"In return, we swore that we should always be their men"
renndawg37

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:
Guys, Ryan can run the 40 in 4.3

FIFY Laughing
JaguarCrazy2832

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel like Chris Long would be much better in a 4-3 though and he is the best guy on that defense

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: