Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Rumor: Greg Roman and Alex Smith to come as pair
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Jacksonville Jaguars
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Tugboat


Joined: 30 Mar 2011
Posts: 3604
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iPwn wrote:
Tugboat wrote:
But i think you're really downplaying how much of an impact that O-Line has in the success of that offense as a whole. It's significantly better than ours, and it's going to be awfully hard for a guy like Alex Smith (or Henne/Gabbert, or a Draftee) to capitalize on those better 'weapons' if they don't have any time to get anything done.


Not really. I understand how much that plays a role. I'm not expecting us to be that good the first year out, but even if we're not a top 10 unit, as they were this season, I think we can have an effective offense, that if paired with a revamped defense, could make us competitive while we're developing another QB and adding talent.

Quote:
And more than that...even with a vastly superior offensive line, and only marginally lesser 'weapons'...that 49ers offense was fairly pedestrian with Alex Smith at the helm. Their exceptional defense allowed them to get away with a pretty underwhelming offense...but it's not exactly a model offense to aspire to. They went to an unproven Kaepernick for a reason after all.


They averaged 22.75 points per game, 18th in the NFL.not great, but still something I would take at this point as a stop gap option while we develop our QB of the future.

I don't think anyone wants that to be our finished product. But Alex Smith is a guy who can work well with our weapons, who can take some pressure off of MJD, and most importantly is a guy that we can sit a young QB behind and have learn for a year or two while we put together the pieces.

Quote:
And i think our defense is a lot more than 2 picks and a FA or 2 away from the level of that 49ers unit. They have a number of very special players assembled there, and tons of depth beyond that.


I never said we were that close on D. Just because I think we can be competitive doesn't mean I think we're going to be as good as a 11-4-1 #2 seed team.


I guess i'm just not clear on the real advantage to Smith over say Gabbert/Henne as the guy to develop our 'future' behind.

I mean, how long exactly would we be looking to start Alex Smith for? A year? So we combine an ~18th best (if we're lucky and our O-Line improves massively) with a likely bottom-half of the league defense even if they take a big step in the right direction? I guess that's some sort of progress. But i don't see how that ultimately gets us any further ahead than sucking slightly more with a Gabbert/Henne tandem again and then going with our 'future guy' in 2014.

I'm not really opposed to the idea of bringing in Alex Smith, especially if that helps net the coach we're really after. But i just don't really see the point. I guess maybe i've just resigned myself to the fact that next year is going to be another 'building year', and would be content with just seeing progress in specific areas outside of our QB play. Ex//I'd be content enough with next season if we see significant progress in our O-Line play, continued development from ShortsIII/Blackmon duo, and our defense looking like less of a dumpster fire. 2 wins, 4 wins, 6 wins...i'm not really sure how much it matters to me at this point.

I really think 2014 is the year to make our big splash. imo the best thing we can do with this year is use it as a foundation building year. Become one of those quiet building teams assembling talent...then plug in the QB that takes us to the next level in say 2014. Be that a developmental guy this year, or someone next year.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
iPwn


Global Moderator
Joined: 10 Oct 2009
Posts: 46475
Location: Warbortles Nation
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It really comes down to how much you think he can help.

Let's say our draft turns out like this in the first few rounds:

Round 1: one of Star Lotulelei/DeMarcus Milliner/Bjoern Werner
Round 2: Trade back (netting a third round pick in the trade) Zac Dysert

Then with our two round 3 picks and our round 4 pick, we net three starters (at three of: DE, CB, WLB, C, RT), and one of which turns into one of the "surprise picks" of the draft who really works out well..

If that all were to happen, it wouldn't be unrealistic at all to think we could possibly be a surprise team pushing for the Playoffs next year with some steady, solid QB play.
_________________

- Best since day one -
It may not be easy, but we ain't riding no tire fire merry-go-round.
- Gus Bradley
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
KhanYouDigIt


Joined: 03 Jan 2012
Posts: 4715
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikeyfarley wrote:
Alex Smith stinks


104 QB rating.....
_________________


TEDDY TEDDY TEDDY

Props to JMG on the sig
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Adrenaline_Flux


Joined: 19 Dec 2008
Posts: 20782
Location: The Iowa
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikeyfarley wrote:
Alex Smith stinks and is overpaid.

Both QBs the Jags have can do what Smith did if all they have to do is hand the ball of the whole game.

The 49ers made do with what they had last year. If they could take a complete bust like Smith and let him only throw about 20 times or fewer a game and be successful, they can do it with Gabbert or Henne. No need to trade for a crap QB, or sign him(if he gets cut) to a contract bigger than Henne's.


104.1 QB Rating this year and 90.7 QB Rating this year. According to you, QB Rating means everything.
_________________


Winner of Football's Future Big Brother II

Nobody cares about Big Brother III...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Jaguarfan


Joined: 27 Nov 2011
Posts: 22103
Location: Daboyle on the sig/ JMG on the avy
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KhanYouDigIt wrote:
mikeyfarley wrote:
Alex Smith stinks


104 QB rating.....

My sources confirm that 104 is better than both 72 and 77.
_________________

I hate the Jaguars
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
KhanYouDigIt


Joined: 03 Jan 2012
Posts: 4715
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jaguarfan wrote:
KhanYouDigIt wrote:
mikeyfarley wrote:
Alex Smith stinks


104 QB rating.....

My sources confirm that 104 is better than both 72 and 77.


My sources also confirm mikey judges QB's off of QB rating.

HOW CAN HE NOT LIKE ALEX SMITH?
_________________


TEDDY TEDDY TEDDY

Props to JMG on the sig
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mikeyfarley


Joined: 16 Jan 2008
Posts: 4430
Location: floride
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adrenaline_Flux wrote:
mikeyfarley wrote:
Alex Smith stinks and is overpaid.

Both QBs the Jags have can do what Smith did if all they have to do is hand the ball of the whole game.

The 49ers made do with what they had last year. If they could take a complete bust like Smith and let him only throw about 20 times or fewer a game and be successful, they can do it with Gabbert or Henne. No need to trade for a crap QB, or sign him(if he gets cut) to a contract bigger than Henne's.


104.1 QB Rating this year and 90.7 QB Rating this year. According to you, QB Rating means everything.


Go and try to find where I said that. I'll be waiting.
_________________
scrimmage wrote:
Tebow just went PREIST MODE
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger
mikeyfarley


Joined: 16 Jan 2008
Posts: 4430
Location: floride
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KhanYouDigIt wrote:
Jaguarfan wrote:
KhanYouDigIt wrote:
mikeyfarley wrote:
Alex Smith stinks


104 QB rating.....

My sources confirm that 104 is better than both 72 and 77.


My sources also confirm mikey judges QB's off of QB rating.

HOW CAN HE NOT LIKE ALEX SMITH?


QB rating is a good way of judging QB's, but it's not the only thing and I've never said it was.
_________________
scrimmage wrote:
Tebow just went PREIST MODE
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger
Adrenaline_Flux


Joined: 19 Dec 2008
Posts: 20782
Location: The Iowa
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I said was a hyperbole, but it was an intentional hyperbole and a valid one considering the strong stance you took with it.

Oh... and...

mikeyfarley wrote:
Every passing stat is taken into account in QB rating. It's a great way to judge a QB's efficiency, and yes Alex Smith was very efficient this year. However he didn't throw enough passes to qualify for the QB rating stat at the end of the season, so unless he plays and throws passes the last 2 games he won't count. Last year he was 9th in QB rating and he led his team to the playoffs, are you pretending Alex Smith is a failure the last 2 seasons? I guess you see all the 49er games don't you? lol


Are you?
_________________


Winner of Football's Future Big Brother II

Nobody cares about Big Brother III...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mikeyfarley


Joined: 16 Jan 2008
Posts: 4430
Location: floride
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adrenaline_Flux wrote:
What I said was a hyperbole, but it was an intentional hyperbole and a valid one considering the strong stance you took with it.

Oh... and...

mikeyfarley wrote:
Every passing stat is taken into account in QB rating. It's a great way to judge a QB's efficiency, and yes Alex Smith was very efficient this year. However he didn't throw enough passes to qualify for the QB rating stat at the end of the season, so unless he plays and throws passes the last 2 games he won't count. Last year he was 9th in QB rating and he led his team to the playoffs, are you pretending Alex Smith is a failure the last 2 seasons? I guess you see all the 49er games don't you? lol


At least you'll own up to your lie right away, lol.


valid what? You said Tebow was the worst QB in the league I said Gabbert had a worse QB rating AND TD TO INT RATIO. That's 2 things I brought up as evidence to counter your claim, and you had no answer for that then trying to bring up Alex Smith who had nothing to do with your claim that Tebow was the worst in 2011.

Everything I said there is true. Their offense was very effeicient and he had a good season and a half. That doesn't mean I want my team to trade for him or pay him more than the QBs we got.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/player/_/stat/passing/sort/quarterbackRating/seasontype/2

I don't see alex smith on there for this seasons passer rating stat, because just like I said, he didn't throw enough passes to qualify for the stat. He was mostly effective this year, but someone else took over as QB for them maybe you've heard about it.
_________________
scrimmage wrote:
Tebow just went PREIST MODE
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger
Adrenaline_Flux


Joined: 19 Dec 2008
Posts: 20782
Location: The Iowa
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My lie? lol how is this allowed? Do you legitimately think I lied or do you not understand what a hyperbole is?

I'm not reshashing that argument. Skip gonna Skip. If you were unable to comprehend it the first time, you won't this time.

You said that Alex Smith stinks. Which is it? Does he stink or has he done well the last two seasons?
_________________


Winner of Football's Future Big Brother II

Nobody cares about Big Brother III...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mikeyfarley


Joined: 16 Jan 2008
Posts: 4430
Location: floride
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adrenaline_Flux wrote:
My lie? lol how is this allowed? Do you legitimately think I lied or do you not understand what a hyperbole is?

I'm not reshashing that argument. Skip gonna Skip. If you were unable to comprehend it the first time, you won't this time.

You said that Alex Smith stinks. Which is it? Does he stink or has he done well the last two seasons?
You started talking about that thread,but now you don't want to bring it up? I don't care. I already told what happened. You had no answer then and it still seems you have no answer for it now.

I've made my opinion completely clear on alex smith maybe you have a problem comprehending plain english. Go back up to my last post and re-read it.

What are your opinions on him? You tried to present him as a reason QB ratings mean nothing(so I guess you didn't think highly of him), but now that it's rumored he might come here you want him to be the QB?

You want the Jags to pay him $8 mil a year, or give up draft picks for him?
_________________
scrimmage wrote:
Tebow just went PREIST MODE
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger
Adrenaline_Flux


Joined: 19 Dec 2008
Posts: 20782
Location: The Iowa
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikeyfarley wrote:
Adrenaline_Flux wrote:
My lie? lol how is this allowed? Do you legitimately think I lied or do you not understand what a hyperbole is?

I'm not reshashing that argument. Skip gonna Skip. If you were unable to comprehend it the first time, you won't this time.

You said that Alex Smith stinks. Which is it? Does he stink or has he done well the last two seasons?
You started talking about that thread,but now you don't want to bring it up? I don't care. I already told what happened. You had no answer then and it still seems you have no answer for it now.

I've made my opinion completely clear on alex smith maybe you have a problem comprehending plain english. Go back up to my last post and re-read it.

What are your opinions on him? You tried to present him as a reason QB ratings mean nothing(so I guess you didn't think highly of him), but now that it's rumored he might come here you want him to be the QB?

You want the Jags to pay him $8 mil a year, or give up draft picks for him?


I brought up the thread because of your Alex Smith comment. We already all know how much you love QB Rating. No need to rehash it.

You said Alex Smith stinks here. Before, you said he did well the last two years.

I brought him up in that thread because why would an amazing player (by your definition of QB Rating mattering so much) be benched in the middle of the season for an unknown

My opinion of Alex Smith is irrelevant. Only reason we're having this discussion is because I found your inconsistency interesting.

But yes, I'd be fine with Alex Smith if we were able to get a solid deal on him. I'm indifferent toward getting him though. I'm fine if we do and I'm fine if we don't.
_________________


Winner of Football's Future Big Brother II

Nobody cares about Big Brother III...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mikeyfarley


Joined: 16 Jan 2008
Posts: 4430
Location: floride
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adrenaline_Flux wrote:
mikeyfarley wrote:
Adrenaline_Flux wrote:
My lie? lol how is this allowed? Do you legitimately think I lied or do you not understand what a hyperbole is?

I'm not reshashing that argument. Skip gonna Skip. If you were unable to comprehend it the first time, you won't this time.

You said that Alex Smith stinks. Which is it? Does he stink or has he done well the last two seasons?
You started talking about that thread,but now you don't want to bring it up? I don't care. I already told what happened. You had no answer then and it still seems you have no answer for it now.

I've made my opinion completely clear on alex smith maybe you have a problem comprehending plain english. Go back up to my last post and re-read it.

What are your opinions on him? You tried to present him as a reason QB ratings mean nothing(so I guess you didn't think highly of him), but now that it's rumored he might come here you want him to be the QB?

You want the Jags to pay him $8 mil a year, or give up draft picks for him?


I brought up the thread because of your Alex Smith comment. We already all know how much you love QB Rating. No need to rehash it.

You said Alex Smith stinks here. Before, you said he did well the last two years.

I brought him up in that thread because why would an amazing player (by your definition of QB Rating mattering so much) be benched in the middle of the season for an unknown

My opinion of Alex Smith is irrelevant. Only reason we're having this discussion is because I found your inconsistency interesting.

But yes, I'd be fine with Alex Smith if we were able to get a solid deal on him. I'm indifferent toward getting him though. I'm fine if we do and I'm fine if we don't.


There is need to rehash it. You said a certain player was the worst in 2011, I said another player had a worse year because his QB rating and TD to INT ratio was worse in that year.

There is a difference in having a better season than someone and actually being a better player. hypothetically lets say if Alex Smith had a better QB rating and TD to INT ratio than Reothlisberger in 1 season I would still say Smith had the better year, but that doesn't mean he's the better player.

There's nothing inconsistent about what I said in a different thread about a different topic. the other topic was about who was the worst in a particular season.
_________________
scrimmage wrote:
Tebow just went PREIST MODE
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger
Adrenaline_Flux


Joined: 19 Dec 2008
Posts: 20782
Location: The Iowa
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, the other thread was about who would be our starting QB next in 2013. Wink
_________________


Winner of Football's Future Big Brother II

Nobody cares about Big Brother III...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Jacksonville Jaguars All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group