Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Can Jonathan Martin hold down the LT spot?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Would you feel comfortable with J. Martin playing LT for the Dolphins next season?
Yes
43%
 43%  [ 10 ]
No
56%
 56%  [ 13 ]
Total Votes : 23

Author Message
Mercury22


Most Valuable Poster (1st Ballot)

Joined: 23 Feb 2005
Posts: 12825
Location: the 50 yard line
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:22 pm    Post subject: Can Jonathan Martin hold down the LT spot? Reply with quote

With all the talk about Jake Long and wether or not he will be resigned, I think the real question becomes, can Jonathan Martin hold down the left side of the line? Do you trust him to protect our franchise QB's blind side?
_________________
"22 players are involved in every football play. To value precisely the activity of one of them, it is first necessary to account for the actions of the other 21"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Mercury22


Most Valuable Poster (1st Ballot)

Joined: 23 Feb 2005
Posts: 12825
Location: the 50 yard line
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My answer is "hell no". The truth is, I'm not confident that Martin is an NFL starter at RT, let alone LT.

If Jake Long is not brought back, I believe Offensive Tackle is the teams #1 overall need. J. Martin showed me he has a LOT of work to do before he can be trusted to play every down. Martin needs to get stronger and his feet are questionable. I was alarmed at how poor he played and that we were starting him week in and week out. With that said, strength is one of the few areas where an NFL player can improve and is, in fact, expected to improve. So, I don't think he is a lost cause. I just don't think we will get better next season with him starting, and I don't believe its wise to let an young QB take snaps with such poor blocking in front of him. Beyond that, Martin's play limited what we could do with the TE and RB, since they were regularly asked to stay in and block because Martin needed help on most downs.
_________________
"22 players are involved in every football play. To value precisely the activity of one of them, it is first necessary to account for the actions of the other 21"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
fishfan4life


Joined: 15 Mar 2012
Posts: 1992
Location: santa rosa california
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Despite the struggles I am very optimistic. The NFL game can be overwhelming to begin with some pick it up faster then others but he was asked to make a position switch then asked to move back after learning all new footwork and technique . He needs to get stronger that's something that can be done and he needs to get in there and get his body better. I am not concerned at all if he is going to be a solid NFL tackle. With that said to me besides WR our Oline is priority A1 to me. The majority of the great teams have great Oline play just watch how much time Brady has and look at the 49ers they have 3 1st rounders and so I'm not opposed to drafting another one in round 1 even if its a G like warmack or cooper. I'm not sure what happened with long but I don't think it's automatic that he is gone I saw a stat that he only gave up 11 QB hurries in his 12 games which was very solid compared to other tackles it was his run blocking that went to crap.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
freak_of_nature


Joined: 15 Oct 2012
Posts: 585
Location: ATL
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's another question we might ask at the end of next season:

Can he play guard?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Mercury22


Most Valuable Poster (1st Ballot)

Joined: 23 Feb 2005
Posts: 12825
Location: the 50 yard line
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

freak_of_nature wrote:
Here's another question we might ask at the end of next season:

Can he play guard?


Perhaps, but then again, if we are talking position switch for a 2nd rounder from last year, we are talking about likely bust. Its rare for a guy to move positions (unless its just right side to left side) and succeed in the NFL. I'm not saying it couldn't happen, but its rare for them to blossom out of position.
_________________
"22 players are involved in every football play. To value precisely the activity of one of them, it is first necessary to account for the actions of the other 21"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ViolentMonk71


Joined: 06 May 2005
Posts: 3766
Location: Don Shula's front porch
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mercury22 wrote:
freak_of_nature wrote:
Here's another question we might ask at the end of next season:

Can he play guard?


Perhaps, but then again, if we are talking position switch for a 2nd rounder from last year, we are talking about likely bust. Its rare for a guy to move positions (unless its just right side to left side) and succeed in the NFL. I'm not saying it couldn't happen, but its rare for them to blossom out of position.


Wade Smith...

As far as Martin...I think his short comings are correctable...he has the size and athleticism he just needs to improve his technique and strength which are both coachable. I'm still not sure how we can start calling him a bust....He started out the year on one side then was forced to switch to the other....that back and forth change would be difficult for a veteran let alone a rookie who is adjusting to the speed and power of the NFL. I think he has the skill set and talent to succeed in the NFL, now it is up to coaching and work ethic. The coaches are still high on Martin which I hope leads to a focus on his development this off-season. Martin played against some pretty tough competition down the stretch and played well with exception of one game (Patriots). Sherman likes his ability and has shown that if a guy can't cut it he will let them know (hello Egnew).

Again this looks like another Ireland witch hunt where you hope he turns out a bust so you can say "I told you so, Ireland sucks and should have been fired".
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Mercury22


Most Valuable Poster (1st Ballot)

Joined: 23 Feb 2005
Posts: 12825
Location: the 50 yard line
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ViolentMonk71 wrote:

Again this looks like another Ireland witch hunt where you hope he turns out a bust so you can say "I told you so, Ireland sucks and should have been fired".


Hmmm, now it sounds like you have an agenda. I never once thought about Ireland in this post. And for the record, my greatest hope is that Ireland shuts my pie hole and every pick he makes turns into an all pro. Nothing is stopping him from doing just that. As for Martin, if you think I am being hard on him please say so. I saw a guy that REQUIRED help from the TE and the RB/FB on most plays. I saw a guy who got beat repeatedly and showed a severe lack of playing strength. I saw a guy who's feet, which were called a strong point, were clearly suspect. Martin was a hole. Can he get better? He damn' well better. I EXPECT him to get better. However, I also don't think that even if he gets better that he is ready to START on the left side and protect our franchise QB from the blindside. Do you?
_________________
"22 players are involved in every football play. To value precisely the activity of one of them, it is first necessary to account for the actions of the other 21"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Jaytotha


Joined: 27 Jan 2008
Posts: 4493
Location: Spokane Valley, Wa
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think he would. Making the switch mid season I think he held his own pretty good. I do think if theres an upgrade though we need to take it though
_________________


Adopt a Dolphin: RB Knowshon Moreno

Rushing: 24- 134yds 5.6 Avg 1TD
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ViolentMonk71


Joined: 06 May 2005
Posts: 3766
Location: Don Shula's front porch
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mercury22 wrote:
ViolentMonk71 wrote:

Again this looks like another Ireland witch hunt where you hope he turns out a bust so you can say "I told you so, Ireland sucks and should have been fired".


Hmmm, now it sounds like you have an agenda. I never once thought about Ireland in this post. And for the record, my greatest hope is that Ireland shuts my pie hole and every pick he makes turns into an all pro. Nothing is stopping him from doing just that. As for Martin, if you think I am being hard on him please say so. I saw a guy that REQUIRED help from the TE and the RB/FB on most plays. I saw a guy who got beat repeatedly and showed a severe lack of playing strength. I saw a guy who's feet, which were called a strong point, were clearly suspect. Martin was a hole. Can he get better? He damn' well better. I EXPECT him to get better. However, I also don't think that even if he gets better that he is ready to START on the left side and protect our franchise QB from the blindside. Do you?


My last line was uncalled for...No need to get into the Ireland debate again... Very Happy

I only saw one game where Martin was just awful (Pats) other then that I felt he did a damn good job against some pretty strong competition. Do I feel he's ready to be a Franchise LT...No, but I do think he can develop into one and I do believe he can be a good RT next season. Improved strength with a year of experience under his belt can do wonders.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dolphinologist


Joined: 07 Mar 2007
Posts: 5594
Location: New York
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This franchise on a whole would do good to invest in development. A college senior is not supposed to be on the level of a rookie and a player with two camps under his belt should be better than his rookie year.

The argument against martin does what cut him ? Bench him ? Who knows, but it does assume that his skill and strength level has peaked (sp?)

I'm not gonna give up on a 2nd round pick who switched positions twice while we implemented a new scheme. Now a days these kids can play multiple positions along the line snatch one of them up, sign some guards and we should be o.k.
_________________


Fellow Posters: I beg that you not misunderstand my level of arrogance. My handle is an implication of Dolphin study not necessarily Dolphin expertise.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Blagasse67


Joined: 04 Feb 2009
Posts: 11319
Location: Delaware
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dolphinologist wrote:
This franchise on a whole would do good to invest in development. A college senior is not supposed to be on the level of a rookie and a player with two camps under his belt should be better than his rookie year.

The argument against martin does what cut him ? Bench him ? Who knows, but it does assume that his skill and strength level has peaked (sp?)

I'm not gonna give up on a 2nd round pick who switched positions twice while we implemented a new scheme. Now a days these kids can play multiple positions along the line snatch one of them up, sign some guards and we should be o.k.


I completely agree. We assume the guy is a miss after not being the best T in the NFL.
_________________

UniversalAuthor
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
phins72


Joined: 17 Dec 2012
Posts: 70
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

why dont they just switch back to man block isnt that what long is great at? isnt that what jerry is good at too and pouncey is good at both so why not go back to something that improves are oline quicker? all they would need is a RT and maybe get that G from the bills? my opinion though
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ajiggel72


Joined: 07 Mar 2010
Posts: 168
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Question: how mad would you all be if our biggest FA signing was Andy Levitre OG, Buffalo, and we drafted Warmack #12 overall. Think about that core. Martin-[Warmack-Pouncey-Levitre]-J.Jerry best interior line in the NFL. Obviously need a OT still (Aboushi, Dallas Thomas, Kyle Long) all options in round 3. But to finally have those positions sealed with pro bowlers will cement us a running game.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
cddolphin


Joined: 23 Mar 2009
Posts: 6902
Location: Gainesville, FL
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

phins72 wrote:
why dont they just switch back to man block isnt that what long is great at? isnt that what jerry is good at too and pouncey is good at both so why not go back to something that improves are oline quicker? all they would need is a RT and maybe get that G from the bills? my opinion though


Wouldn't fit the type of offense we are trying to run.
_________________
Maddogg wrote:
Also, Joe Philbin denies knowing who won the presidential election in 2012 because as quoted "I don't go anywhere where people talk about anything."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ViolentMonk71


Joined: 06 May 2005
Posts: 3766
Location: Don Shula's front porch
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ajiggel72 wrote:
Question: how mad would you all be if our biggest FA signing was Andy Levitre OG, Buffalo, and we drafted Warmack #12 overall. Think about that core. Martin-[Warmack-Pouncey-Levitre]-J.Jerry best interior line in the NFL. Obviously need a OT still (Aboushi, Dallas Thomas, Kyle Long) all options in round 3. But to finally have those positions sealed with pro bowlers will cement us a running game.


That interior would make me very happy as a fan (one of the reasons in my "dream" off-season I had them signing Levitre and drafting Warmack). This team needs to have one area that is not a question mark.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group