Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Can Jonathan Martin hold down the LT spot?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Would you feel comfortable with J. Martin playing LT for the Dolphins next season?
Yes
43%
 43%  [ 10 ]
No
56%
 56%  [ 13 ]
Total Votes : 23

JCool333

Most Valuable Poster (5th Ballot)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, I'm starting to feel like an OL is not as difficult to build as we always were taught to think. You need a scheme and players who fit it. Obviously, some players are better/more consistent than others. But I've seen far too many "washed up" OL who were cut for being useless on their previous teams fit right in with a new scheme in a new jersey.

I exaggerate there, but still, I don't think any single OL is worth the kind of money Jake Long will warrant.

Even if Martin can't handle the job, a GM with foresight (which Ireland has, even if it may be too much so) will find some veteran to push Martin and potentially start if Martin proves that he can't handle it.
Clutch

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ViolentMonk71 wrote:
Mercury22 wrote:
ViolentMonk71 wrote:

Again this looks like another Ireland witch hunt where you hope he turns out a bust so you can say "I told you so, Ireland sucks and should have been fired".

Hmmm, now it sounds like you have an agenda. I never once thought about Ireland in this post. And for the record, my greatest hope is that Ireland shuts my pie hole and every pick he makes turns into an all pro. Nothing is stopping him from doing just that. As for Martin, if you think I am being hard on him please say so. I saw a guy that REQUIRED help from the TE and the RB/FB on most plays. I saw a guy who got beat repeatedly and showed a severe lack of playing strength. I saw a guy who's feet, which were called a strong point, were clearly suspect. Martin was a hole. Can he get better? He damn' well better. I EXPECT him to get better. However, I also don't think that even if he gets better that he is ready to START on the left side and protect our franchise QB from the blindside. Do you?

My last line was uncalled for...No need to get into the Ireland debate again... Very Happy

I only saw one game where Martin was just awful (Pats) other then that I felt he did a damn good job against some pretty strong competition. Do I feel he's ready to be a Franchise LT...No, but I do think he can develop into one and I do believe he can be a good RT next season. Improved strength with a year of experience under his belt can do wonders.

I want Jake Long to stay, but not at 10-15 mill per year. Heck 8 even seems high at this point.

Now in saying that, Martin also struggled against SF. I found he struggled against any really good to elite pass rushers. I think the strength thing can be fixed in the offseason so there is no way we should give up on him after his rookie season.

I do think we need to add a couple of pieces to the Oline.

There are so many ways this franchise could go in the offseason. I guess if we let Jake walk, we can grab (example) Finley and Jennings. Then in the draft address the CB/DL/OL and maybe add an additional WR there too.

It just sucks that we are so close to being competitive, yet so far away with truly talented players at key positions.

Offseason: Sign Jennings, Finley and Wallace
Sign Smith
Draft: Miliner, Ertz, Oline, Dline, CB's.

Man every day I do this, you can go so many different ways.

I guess the key is grabbing one top FA WR. And then hitting BPA in the draft.
SUG

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

phins72 wrote:
why dont they just switch back to man block isnt that what long is great at? isnt that what jerry is good at too and pouncey is good at both so why not go back to something that improves are oline quicker? all they would need is a RT and maybe get that G from the bills? my opinion though

And do what ... put ourselves in an unfavorable position trying to develop the passing game via
a sophisticated West Coast Off ...???

Not gonna happen with Philbin ... THANK GOD !

sug
SUG

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have anything against J. Martin but clearly he has a lotta wk to do.
I am all in favor of further developing Martin but .. are we supposed to keep our fingers Xed ?

Why would we or should we even think he can improve enough at LT when he struggled at RT ...?

So after the serious commitment of drafting Tanney @ # 8 were actually going to consider
taking a "wait n see" approach ...?

Are you INSANE !?!?

There is no more important offseason acquisition than the replacement of Jake Long.
J. Martin hasn't proven he is even worthy of fulfilling his contractual obligation in Mia in his 1st yr.

I vehemently oppose any draft or FA acquisition that does not bring in legitimate competition at Tanneyhill's blindside.

sug
ovaw8lover

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been critical of Jonathan Martin during and since the season ended. He plays high and has no base. He oversets for fear of getting giving up the edge. The problem when you do that you give up your achor, which leaves him exposed to a bull rush. We saw this against the 49ers. I do not believe he will become an elite LT. He can become above average but at this point I do not have confidence in him to give up Jake Long. He will struggle more at RT versus LT because defenses typically line up their stronger ends over the RT's.
SUG

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ovaw8lover wrote:
I have been critical of Jonathan Martin during and since the season ended. He plays high and has no base. He oversets for fear of getting giving up the edge. The problem when you do that you give up your achor, which leaves him exposed to a bull rush. We saw this against the 49ers. I do not believe he will become an elite LT. He can become above average but at this point I do not have confidence in him to give up Jake Long. He will struggle more at RT versus LT because defenses typically line up their stronger ends over the RT's.

So after having said all that (and I fully agree) we clearly could use some talent at OT.
Now, having said that, why "Low Ball" the the importance of that position after having gone on a limb in the
1st rnd to acquire Tanny ???
Why leave it to chance or "wait n see" ???
Why not at least secure what good we have done by bringing in legit competition ???

sug
ViolentMonk71

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Martin is going to be fine in this league....he came from a conference that is not known for possessing elite DE's and the jump to the NFL has been more significant then many may have thought. With that said his issues are coachable....his deficiencies do not deal with athleticism, size. or talent, but in technique and strength which are two area's that are correctable.

Right now I'm not willing to give up on Long as the LT...the wait and see approach works if he is the only deficiency on the line...the needs at the guard position are greater then tackle (if the Phins keep Long). Putting a Levitre next to him on the right side could help. In the end it's going to come down to Martin and his effort to get better this off-season.

This is all depending on what happen's with Long....if he is not on the team next year then the Tackle position become's a priority.

In the end Martin is good enough to be a team's second tackle....

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ViolentMonk71 wrote:
Martin is going to be fine in this league....he came from a conference that is not known for possessing elite DE's and the jump to the NFL has been more significant then many may have thought. With that said his issues are coachable....his deficiencies do not deal with athleticism, size. or talent, but in technique and strength which are two area's that are correctable.

Right now I'm not willing to give up on Long as the LT...the wait and see approach works if he is the only deficiency on the line...the needs at the guard position are greater then tackle (if the Phins keep Long). Putting a Levitre next to him on the right side could help. In the end it's going to come down to Martin and his effort to get better this off-season.

This is all depending on what happen's with Long....if he is not on the team next year then the Tackle position become's a priority.

I hope your right & I'm wrong but ai still don't understand the comfort level in "gambling" here.
What could possibly be so bad about granting Tanney the most valuable weapon via competition? ??

Sug
ViolentMonk71

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SUG wrote:
ViolentMonk71 wrote:

I hope your right & I'm wrong but ai still don't understand the comfort level in "gambling" here.
What could possibly be so bad about granting Tanney the most valuable weapon via competition? ??

Sug

I'm not saying completely abandon looking for other Tackles....I have no problem drafting a Tackle to push him....to light a fire so to speak, but not until a little later in the draft (second 3rd rounder could be good), hell the more linemen to compete the better....

My thought is that if the Dolphins have Long and a serviceable RT (Martin) then they can concentrate on finding players for the interior of the line.

I look at gambling as dealing with an unknown...the coaches know their players and know what they are capable of. I don't think that the Phins would be willing to put Tannehill at risk if Martin wasn't developing to their standards. I'll say this....I'll trust what the coaches do (their team and their job) in this.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ViolentMonk71 wrote:
SUG wrote:
ViolentMonk71 wrote:

Sug

I'm not saying completely abandon looking for other Tackles....I have no problem drafting a Tackle to push him....to light a fire so to speak, but not until a little later in the draft (second 3rd rounder could be good), hell the more linemen to compete the better....

My thought is that if the Dolphins have Long and a serviceable RT (Martin) then they can concentrate on finding players for the interior of the line.

I look at gambling as dealing with an unknown...the coaches know their players and know what they are capable of. I don't think that the Phins would be willing to put Tannehill at risk if Martin wasn't developing to their standards. I'll say this....I'll trust what the coaches do (their team and their job) in this.

You see that's where you & I differ completely.
If it were a 1st or 2ndA draft pk & the prospect were better than J. Martin I could go along.
But NO WAY am I on board with just throwing a 3rd rnd pk on the wall just to see if it will stick much less compete. Not a good enough effort to acquire the 2nd most important talent necessary on the entire Off.
Talking about a 3rd rnd pk at OG is one thing this is a much important decision.

I'd just assume blow the whole FA "piggy bank" (40+ Mill) on the best available FA - LT vs your option. (all due respect)

sug
ViolentMonk71

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SUG wrote:
ViolentMonk71 wrote:
SUG wrote:
ViolentMonk71 wrote:

Sug

If it were a 1st or 2ndA draft pk & the prospect were better than J. Martin I could go along.
But NO WAY am I on board with just throwing a 3rd rnd pk on the wall just to see if it will stick much less compete. Not a good enough effort to acquire the 2nd most important talent necessary on the entire Off.
Talking about a 3rd rnd pk at OG is one thing this is a much important decision.

I'd just assume blow the whole FA "piggy bank" (40+ Mill) on the best available FA - LT vs your option. (all due respect)

sug

Not sure where I said that the Dolphins should break the bank for a LT....

First, I have to ask....if you feel Left Tackle is the second most important position on the offense.....wouldn't you want to spend the money to secure a stud for that position? Why draft another unknown (rookie) in the second when there are so many other glaring needs and you can resign Long a KNOWN commodity at the position?

Second, Isn't the draft sometimes a gamble? Martin was evaluated and was seen as a 1st round talent by many experts and drafted higher then any second round pick the the Dolphins have available this year yet you want them to use another second round pick on the same position in idea he is going to be better? Why are we already abandoning a guy who started 16 games at two different line positions? Are the Dolphins going to gamble and hope using that second or 1st round pick on a LT and hopes he is better then Martin when it is obvious that there are more glaring needs?

Third, Did he play significantly worse at his position then Tannehill at his? There were 3 other Rookie QB's who easily outperformed him....he seemed to have trouble hitting open receivers down field, had trouble finding the end zone and at times made poor decisions throwing the ball. Do you willing to trust the future of this franchise on a QB that we hope develops into the franchise QB this team needs him to be? Are you comfortable with that gamble?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ViolentMonk71 wrote:
SUG wrote:
ViolentMonk71 wrote:
SUG wrote:
ViolentMonk71 wrote:

Sug

sug

First, I have to ask....if you feel Left Tackle is the second most important position on the offense.....wouldn't you want to spend the money to secure a stud for that position? Why draft another unknown (rookie) in the second when there are so many other glaring needs and you can resign Long a KNOWN commodity at the position?

Second, Isn't the draft sometimes a gamble? Martin was evaluated and was seen as a 1st round talent by many experts and drafted higher then any second round pick the the Dolphins have available this year yet you want them to use another second round pick on the same position in idea he is going to be better? Why are we already abandoning a guy who started 16 games at two different line positions? Are the Dolphins going to gamble and hope using that second or 1st round pick on a LT and hopes he is better then Martin when it is obvious that there are more glaring needs?

Third, Did he play significantly worse at his position then Tannehill at his? There were 3 other Rookie QB's who easily outperformed him....he seemed to have trouble hitting open receivers down field, had trouble finding the end zone and at times made poor decisions throwing the ball. Do you willing to trust the future of this franchise on a QB that we hope develops into the franchise QB this team needs him to be? Are you comfortable with that gamble?

To clarify, I'm not saying that you at any time suggested the Phins should break the bank on
a FA - LT, I'm saying/suggesting it.
I would[/b] much rather that than to spend a 3rd rnd pk on an OT.
To me that would be like targeting another J. Martin. I want something way better.
I'm putting a much higher premium on the position than you.

As for the J Martin comp to Tanneyhill ... it's hard to compare the positions but ...
I'm way more comfortable with the Tanneyhills selection than I am the J. Martin.
I didn't see anything in Martins gm that suggested we have found our future LT - RT or even a starter.
To me the jurry is still out.

And if I'm wrong "whoop di Doo" - now we have 2 good/great book ends. I will not be disappointed nor would I hesitate acknowledging I was wrong here, on the contrary.

my 2 cents
sug
cddolphin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ovaw8lover wrote:

Bolded is fixable with coaching. I'm in the "let's see if he can get stronger this offseason" camp.

We still need at least one tackle and one guard.
Yibbyl

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ajiggel72 wrote:
Question: how mad would you all be if our biggest FA signing was Andy Levitre OG, Buffalo, and we drafted Warmack #12 overall. Think about that core. Martin-[Warmack-Pouncey-Levitre]-J.Jerry best interior line in the NFL. Obviously need a OT still (Aboushi, Dallas Thomas, Kyle Long) all options in round 3. But to finally have those positions sealed with pro bowlers will cement us a running game.

Seems like almost everywhere I go on FF, there's discussion of signing Levitre from the Bills. We like him too. A lot. Our 2 key FA's this year are Byrd and Levitre. Trust me, we will franchise one and give the other a nice contract.

Here's the other thing: Levitre is a pure tactician, which is what you want in a ZBS. His athleticism allows him to excel at LG and even LT when needed due to injuries, but he lacks the power to man the right side. (Or C, where has has been horrendous when tried there.) Warmack on the other hand is very strong and could definitely switch to the right side if that was where you felt you needed the most improvement. I think you'd have to move up in the draft to get Warmack though. Johnson or Fisher would be a more realistic selection if you absolutely wanted to target a T in the 1st round or trade back for (or bite the bullet and just select) Cooper to play G.

As for Martin...he struggled against the 49ers and the Pats, both 3-4 teams. I don't think that is a coincidence. Though the main benefit of the ZBS is that it is easier to learn how to deal with movement on the DL, I'd still give Martin another try at either LT or RT or inside at LG. He definitely needs to hit the weight room though. Long is not a good fit in the ZBS...I'd let him walk instead of giving him mega $$$. In fact, I would have tried to trade him during this past season to someone like the Cardinals who still use the MBS and definitely could have used that upgrade on their OL!

Personally, I would focus on your interior OL over the OT's. Sounds weird at first, but you give Tannehill a consistently solid pocket with the OG's & C and all he has to do is step up while the OT's push past/allow the pass rushers to overrun the play. Tannehill will also benefit from the added power he'd have on his throws doing that. Ends up being a cheaper solution and improves Tannehill's play at the same time.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SUG wrote:
ViolentMonk71 wrote:
SUG wrote:
ViolentMonk71 wrote:
SUG wrote:
ViolentMonk71 wrote:

Sug

sug

To clarify, I'm not saying that you at any time suggested the Phins should break the bank on
a FA - LT, I'm saying/suggesting it.
I would[/b] much rather that than to spend a 3rd rnd pk on an OT.
To me that would be like targeting another J. Martin. I want something way better.
I'm putting a much higher premium on the position than you.

As for the J Martin comp to Tanneyhill ... it's hard to compare the positions but ...
I'm way more comfortable with the Tanneyhills selection than I am the J. Martin.
I didn't see anything in Martins gm that suggested we have found our future LT - RT or even a starter.
To me the jurry is still out.

And if I'm wrong "whoop di Doo" - now we have 2 good/great book ends. I will not be disappointed nor would I hesitate acknowledging I was wrong here, on the contrary.

my 2 cents
sug

My apologies Sug....I misread your post....

I don't think we are too far apart for what we want for the Dolphins...the difference is our opinion of Martin. I don't think he is ready for the LT position that's why I would like to see Long return. Again he is still Jake Long.....All Pro. Is he an All Pro in this scheme? That's yet to be seen, but he's still as good as anyone on the Market and better then anyone the Dolphins could draft at 12.

I still think the Tackle position should be addressed if for nothing else but depth and having someone to push Martin. I still believe that when looking at the draft after the first 40 or so players it becomes a crap shoot of who will develop and who will be out of the league in a few years.

The Dolphins still have far too many pressing needs to make another move on a position they could address next off-season. In the end it will come down to what they decide to do with Long. If they decide to let him go then I'm all for finding a replacement as early in the draft as possible, but if Long is back to man the left side then they should concentrate on shoring up the interior and adding play makers.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: