Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Bears name Bevell, Trestman, Arian as Finalists
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DABEARSLCF04

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

El ramster wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
Jaguarfan wrote:
Why does everyone hate Arians?
For me, he's never really improved a QB, offenses have gotten better after he leaves, in short.

Big ben? LUCK?

JESUS CHRIST!

WHERE?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

popie70 wrote:
You want nothing to do with Arians. We had a pretty poor o-line with him as an OC but he refused to alter his scheme to mask that problem and as a result Ben got pummeled.

From what I've seen in Indy this year it was some of the same. Luck spent a lot of time running around behind a suspect line. I could be wrong about Indy though I don't follow them closely
Ben holding on to the ball too long had nothing to do with it I suppose.
ChicagoAl

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SwiftTexan wrote:
The hate on Arians is confusing to me too - the Co- Ordinator position and the Head Coach position are so different that it's impossible to predict how a candidate will do based on previous success at a different role. The reason these guys are hired is based on their interview and how they have prepared for it. You can't look at a guy's previous success as a OC/DC and say he will be a great HC. I think the fact that Arians was able to keep the Colts on the right track and steer them to the playoffs is a good indicator that he might be a successful HC. He's got experience managing games and preparing a team every week. To me, it's more of a risk to hire McCoy or Gruden than Arians. It all comes down the interview because all these Co-Ordinators are ultimately at the whim of their Head Coaches and you don't know how they'll run things until given the opportunity.

The comparison between College HC and NFL HC is more comparable but even then the positions are so different. We all know that some coaches make great OC's but horrible HC's and some guys have come out of no-where to be great Head Coaches. You just gotta give them a chance and be patient. It's just not a luxury a lot of coaches are afforded.
Hey you are not a real fan if you don't hate people you know little or nothing about. Get with the program.
jrry32

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd love to see Trestman get the job. Have always thought we'd see him again eventually.

But would he do it in a Sharknado?
Superman(DH23)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jrry32 wrote:
I'd love to see Trestman get the job. Have always thought we'd see him again eventually.
That's who we are rooting for in the Bears forum. Still some dispute as to whether Arians is a finalist or not. Dave Kaplan (basically the oldest chicago sports guy around) is saying that Arians is NOT a finalist and its just Bevell and Trestman.

2013 Bears Forum Mike Ditka Award Winner
popie70

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChicagoAl wrote:
popie70 wrote:
You want nothing to do with Arians. We had a pretty poor o-line with him as an OC but he refused to alter his scheme to mask that problem and as a result Ben got pummeled.

From what I've seen in Indy this year it was some of the same. Luck spent a lot of time running around behind a suspect line. I could be wrong about Indy though I don't follow them closely
Ben holding on to the ball too long had nothing to do with it I suppose.

No Ben is definitely to blame for some of it. But he was OC for 5 years and here were the sack totals (47,49,50,43,42). That is something you notice and would hope do things to alter.

Than this year with Haley we only gave up 37. Not a huge drop off but we were scraping for o-lineman to use in the middle of the year.

I think he is a solid coach but with an already suspect line and a QB who has been beaten up, I don't know if he is my guy
The Cryptkeeper

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

popie70 wrote:

No, that's a fair criticism in Indy, as well. As a result, Luck had the high yards per completion and vertical game you'd expect out of Arians (would've been even better if the dropped passes weren't killing us), but he took a pounding doing it. It was Big Ben-esque. As a result, it was clear Luck's mobility was compromised by the latter parts of the season, as was his accuracy.
Sacks98

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

El ramster wrote:
please hire BEVELL.. would screw up Wilsons development.

I don't think it will hurt Wilsons development but i would like to keep him for at least one more season.
steelcurtain29

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arians is excellent at developing QB's... He just sucks everywhere else. Especially his playcalling; it's atrocious.
spilltray

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a Packers fan, I'm hoping they pick Darrell Bevell. The fact that he's an OC, much less getting HC consideration amuses me greatly.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
The LBC

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

steelcurtain29 wrote:
Arians is excellent at developing QB's... He just sucks everywhere else. Especially his playcalling; it's atrocious.

And even if he wasn't the one calling the plays, I'm fairly suspect of his ability to assemble a quality staff - and that is crucial to the success of any new (particularly freshman) HC.

Note the one member of the Pittsburgh staff that Arians served on that followed Arians to Indy, Harold Goodwin who served as Offensive Quality Control coach for the Steelers and is not... the Offensive Line coach for Indy. Perhaps the single greatest criticism of the Indy offense (aside from their inability to establish a truly threatening rushing attack though that goes hand in hand with good OL play) can be attached to the one coaching constant aside from Arians between the two staffs. That worries me. I signals to me that this is the guy whom Arians trusts and would likely be following and in line for another promotion were he to be hired. But going one step further - lets set aside the time on the Steelers staff for Arians and look further back... who else's staffs has he shown up on that he might draw assistants from due to past ties: Marty Schottenheimer's in KC (the connection that got him introduced to Bill Cowher), Jim Mora's in Indy and in New Orleans, and Butch Davis' in Cleveland. He doesn't have ties to a ton of guys with play-calling experience that are actually available (either already retired or already in a similar position in the league).

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really want to see them hire Trestman.

Winner of Football's Future Big Brother II
SteelKing728

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

take Bevell, please Chicago take Bevell.

oh, and hire Brad Childress as the Offensive Coordinator. Laughing

Not your typical Vikings anymore.
steelcurtain29

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The LBC wrote:
And even if he wasn't the one calling the plays, I'm fairly suspect of his ability to assemble a quality staff - and that is crucial to the success of any new (particularly freshman) HC.

Suspect? How can you have any faith? What happened this year was a complete fluke. He'll utterly fail anywhere else. If not fail, then he'll massively underachieve.
Superman(DH23)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trestman, once called the best offensive mind he's been around by Bill Walsh, is getting STRONG endorsements from Steve Young and Rich Gannon

2013 Bears Forum Mike Ditka Award Winner

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: