Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Chargers Name Mike McCoy Head Coach
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
theJ

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The LBC wrote:
Duffman57 wrote:
broncosfan07 wrote:
Denver didn't run much zone blocking plays the past 2 seasons. McCoy likes pulling his Guards a lot though.

He can be creative with his play calling at times, the problem for me at least was he would only run a play once then not call it anymore. Apart from the WR screen which only worked in 2 games I believe.

Don't expect him to bring many if any of the Denver staff with him, if it's for a promotion they might otherwise Denver will just block any lateral moves.

You cant block a lateral move from a position coach, and he was the OC, so anybody he would bring with him is free to go whenever he wants other than the DC, who he probably wont replace anyway.

Unless that changed in the new CBA, I'm actually fairly certain you can. It's been a common misnomer and one that isn't universally used, but the ability to block is there for any hire that isn't an assistant/coordinator being promoted to HC or a front office assistant being promoted to GM. Pretty sure just last year, the Cardinals blocked Greg Schiano from hiring John McNulty who was a positional assistant but also Schiano's #2 at Rutgers for a time from accepting an interview for Tampa's OC. (Ironically, that's probably exactly where he's headed this year now that Whisenhunt and Co. have been canned.)

Yup. Can't block DC or OC to HC, but teams can block position coaches if they're under contract. Most don't, but some do.

Don't follow your passion, take your passion with you.
broncosfan07

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

theJ wrote:
The LBC wrote:
Duffman57 wrote:
broncosfan07 wrote:
Denver didn't run much zone blocking plays the past 2 seasons. McCoy likes pulling his Guards a lot though.

He can be creative with his play calling at times, the problem for me at least was he would only run a play once then not call it anymore. Apart from the WR screen which only worked in 2 games I believe.

Don't expect him to bring many if any of the Denver staff with him, if it's for a promotion they might otherwise Denver will just block any lateral moves.

You cant block a lateral move from a position coach, and he was the OC, so anybody he would bring with him is free to go whenever he wants other than the DC, who he probably wont replace anyway.

Unless that changed in the new CBA, I'm actually fairly certain you can. It's been a common misnomer and one that isn't universally used, but the ability to block is there for any hire that isn't an assistant/coordinator being promoted to HC or a front office assistant being promoted to GM. Pretty sure just last year, the Cardinals blocked Greg Schiano from hiring John McNulty who was a positional assistant but also Schiano's #2 at Rutgers for a time from accepting an interview for Tampa's OC. (Ironically, that's probably exactly where he's headed this year now that Whisenhunt and Co. have been canned.)

Yup. Can't block DC or OC to HC, but teams can block position coaches if they're under contract. Most don't, but some do.
Yep, and you can be certain that Denver isn't going to let it's position coaches make a lateral move to a division rival. If McCoy wants to bring someone along as an OC/DC then Denver has no power to stop it.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

broncosfan07 wrote:
theJ wrote:
The LBC wrote:
Duffman57 wrote:
broncosfan07 wrote:

Yep, and you can be certain that Denver isn't going to let it's position coaches make a lateral move to a division rival. If McCoy wants to bring someone along as an OC/DC then Denver has no power to stop it.
As has been stated a zillion times, Denver can block any positional coaches or coordinators from taking what the NFL considers a lateral move, which is any position other than HC. Denver has already said they aren't allowing him to take anybody w/him.

2013 Bears Forum Mike Ditka Award Winner
The LBC

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

broncosfan07 wrote:
If McCoy wants to bring someone along as an OC/DC then Denver has no power to stop it.

Actually they do, as precedent was set when they denied Dennis Allen the opportunity to hire your LB Coach Richard Smith as his DC last year. Effectively the only hires than can't be blocked are promotions to HC or GM, unless the coach is out of contract.

Also, there's this:

Rotoworld wrote:
New Chargers coach Mike McCoy reportedly wants to keep holdover John Pagano on board as defensive coordinator.
Pagano is under contract for one more year after improving the Bolts' defense from 22nd in 2011 to 16th in 2012. Pagano's unit surrendered fewer big plays, created more turnovers, and rushed the passer more consistently than Greg Manusky's defense the year before.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/570/chargers-defense

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not bad if he keeps John.

simonwayne wrote:
LeBron has done for the NBA what Teen Mom has done for teenage pregnancies

#JDI
Duffman57

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He just said in his press conference, that he wont be calling the plays, that will be a job for his OC! He's winning me over in a serious way in this press conference.

Bolt Up Comrades!

MrDrew wrote:
Everything about Rivers is Awkward, reminiscent of a Giraffe with Down's Syndrome
game3525

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

His PC was much different from usual willy nilly stuff from Norv.
Duffman57

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The LBC wrote:
Duffman57 wrote:
broncosfan07 wrote:

My fault, someone recently told me that position coaches lateral moves cant be blocked IIRC.

Bolt Up Comrades!

MrDrew wrote:
Everything about Rivers is Awkward, reminiscent of a Giraffe with Down's Syndrome
JaguarCrazy2832

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i honestly didnt know who he was Embarassed

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JammerHammer21 wrote:
We don't need to blow anything up aside from the offensive line.
McCoy seems to be in line with the type of coaches SD hires, someone who can get an offense up and running. The team seems to be in the same kind of shape the Bears are in: many good players with some holes. I don't expect either will drop much this next year.
ChicagoAl

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AntiSuperstar wrote:
This is great news. Essentially what we're seeing is a repeat of last year where a team(Oakland last year) takes our garbage off our hands and the Broncos go out and sign a better assistant. I expect the same result again with San Diego sucking about as much as Oakland sucked this year and I'm glad the improvements Denver make are going in the direction of also undermining divison rivals. It's a shame Kansas City didn't hire Josh McDaniels or something as it would be nice to sabotage all three of the division rivals instead of two.
Oh, don't worry KC has shot itself in the foot.
jrry32

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't like what I saw from McCoy on Saturday but I do hope this hiring works out.

But would he do it in a Sharknado?
elwayfan07

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

McCoy as an OC was frustrating, at times. However, I'm in the camp that believes he will make a fine HC. He is articulate and is not so stubborn as to force players to fit in a "system". He fits his system around what his players can do. He was a very good hire

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bad move, why hire this guy when Lovie Smith was still available on the open market? This team needs defense and an offensive line. The Chargers have enough pieces elsewhere to where they can contend again next year...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

footbull3196 wrote:
Bad move, why hire this guy when Lovie Smith was still available on the open market? This team needs defense and an offensive line. The Chargers have enough pieces elsewhere to where they can contend again next year...

Because we already have a good defensive mind and our O is in shambles? Laughing Laughing Laughing

Bohlmann20 (On The 95 Cleveland Browns Staff) wrote:
Lombardi - Isn't that the guy the trophy is named after? If so, top 3 coach of all time.

#JDI

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: