Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

SJ39 stays or goes?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> St. Louis Rams
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Flatlyner

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just saying I'd rather use that multiple million dollar contract on something other then a RB, like WR, Oline help, OLB, or even a cheaper back (Ivory). Really liked what I saw from Ivory last year, and he can be had for far less then SJax will want.

Not to suggest I think Jax is done, but to me not worth the money he'll want.
Lamarcus Joyner
Tre Mason
Flatlyner

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jdhommert wrote:
I *think* SJ39 comes back, but I'm barely leaning that way.

I just didn't like what I saw in the last few games Richardson played. He pretty much got stuffed at the line of scrimmage or so on every play. Didn't even break one open from what I remember.

Week 11 was the last week he got over 10 yards in a game.
He averaged 1.5 Yards per attempt his last 5 games.

Now I really think Pead can be a good RB. He came into the year way behind due to having to stay in school throughout the summer and Richardson ascended and got above him on the depth chart before he knew what happened.

I also think watching Pead in the first half of the season he was trying to rush/force everything. On a return he'd look down and think about the endzone before he even had the ball in his hands. Or on a run he would grab the ball running full speed in one direction where the hole was supposed to be, rather than letting the play develop and react. He did a much, much better job of that his last couple games or so.

While getting a whopping 3 carries per game. Give SJax only 3 carries and game and he's numbers could easily mirror that. Also, in those last 5 games we played arguably the 3 best defenses in the NFL (49ers, TB (run), Seattle). Prior to that and every time he got more then 7 carries he averaged a whopping 5.9 YPC. Those are fantastic numbers. Give him the rock and he's bound to break one.

A split of Richardson/Pead, doesn't sound half bad to me, and saves us tons of cap. Throw in a guy like Ganaway and you have a solid young core of RB's
Lamarcus Joyner
Tre Mason
jrry32

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd only offer him 1.5 or 2 mil a year so I think he'd probably go.

But would he do it in a Sharknado?
Headbanger

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice to hear what you guys think.

So, I think we are good either way at RB and I wouldn't go shoping Ivory, or anyone else for that matter.

Of course, if we get some good prospect in later rounds, why not, but HB is not a priority.

Good stuff guys. Take care.

"Sometimes two...Sometimes three...That's how many you need and you still can't handle me."
By David "Deacon" Jones.

RAMS MY TEAM TILL THE DAY I DIE
keepnitgangsta1

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flatlyner wrote:
Headbanger wrote:
Flatlyner wrote:
I think he's as good as gone. Someone is going to pay him more then us, and I'm fine with it. I like our 2 backs currently and, if we acquire another, I like our backfield going into next year. Richardson honestly looking great last season, just didn't get a lot of carries.

I hope you're joking. Richardson and Pead are change of pace backs at best.

Richardson had two games where he dominated, after London, he averaged 3 yards per carry.

I think that we need to keep Steven if he takes a cut and put him in third down situations on screens and flats. There is no DB that will be willing to take him in the open field.

As for Pead and Richardson, we utilize them as Panthers did with Stewart and Williams.

Even if SJ leave the Rams, we'll need a back to help them.

That's my take on the matter, so you're free to reflect on it.

Here are the facts:
Richardson YPC: 4.8
Jackson YPC: 4.1

Richardson didn't start to slow down until week 13 at San Fran, and that is mostly due to the lack of carries he was getting (about 3 per game). Prior to that he was averaging close to 5 yards per carry and was a spark plug whenever he was in there.

No idea why people feel like Richardson can't be our #1 back, with Pead carrying some of the load. There are several starting backs that are the same size as Richardson, so that should not be the main concern here.

Additionally, we do have a bigger back currently in Ganaway, although nobody really knows if he's any good in the NFL at this point.

Those numbers are irrelevant. Richardson wasn't in there the whole game pounding the football like Steven was. He was put into good situations in which he could maximize his YPC. I don't think he could legitimately carry the load right now. More of a scat back/change of pace guy, and that's where we should keep him. That's where he is most effective.

My NFL Draft Thread
jdhommert

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flatlyner wrote:
jdhommert wrote:
I *think* SJ39 comes back, but I'm barely leaning that way.

I just didn't like what I saw in the last few games Richardson played. He pretty much got stuffed at the line of scrimmage or so on every play. Didn't even break one open from what I remember.

Week 11 was the last week he got over 10 yards in a game.
He averaged 1.5 Yards per attempt his last 5 games.

Now I really think Pead can be a good RB. He came into the year way behind due to having to stay in school throughout the summer and Richardson ascended and got above him on the depth chart before he knew what happened.

I also think watching Pead in the first half of the season he was trying to rush/force everything. On a return he'd look down and think about the endzone before he even had the ball in his hands. Or on a run he would grab the ball running full speed in one direction where the hole was supposed to be, rather than letting the play develop and react. He did a much, much better job of that his last couple games or so.

While getting a whopping 3 carries per game. Give SJax only 3 carries and game and he's numbers could easily mirror that. Also, in those last 5 games we played arguably the 3 best defenses in the NFL (49ers, TB (run), Seattle). Prior to that and every time he got more then 7 carries he averaged a whopping 5.9 YPC. Those are fantastic numbers. Give him the rock and he's bound to break one.

A split of Richardson/Pead, doesn't sound half bad to me, and saves us tons of cap. Throw in a guy like Ganaway and you have a solid young core of RB's
Maybe, but you think that in 16 carries he'd do better than 1.5 a carry. SJ39 was able to average over 4 yards a carry in those same 5 games.

I'm worried because he couldn't even do anything as a change of pace guy the last 5 games. Not saying he won't be good in the future, but I think it's a valid cause for concern. Smile
jrry32

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's hard to get into a rhythm as a runner when you're only carrying the ball 3 times a game. It's really not surprising that he did better when he was getting 8 to 10 carries a game than when he got 3 carries a game.

It's like with a QB, why don't teams use 2 QB systems? Because you don't want to mess with the QB's rhythm by putting him in for a play or two than pulling him.

But would he do it in a Sharknado?
STLRamsFan99

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Bruce and Holt can be shown the door, I don't think any future/current Rams player is safe. It is a business first and foremost, I could see the Rams not having much interest in bringing him back.

I hope he stays but have doubt that he will.
Hoj398

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flatlyner wrote:
Hoj398 wrote:
it all depends on his price to be honest. how much is he willing to take to help this team acquire talent? hes been the lone bright spot on this team since 2006 IIRC

Chris Long, Jenkins, Brockers, JL among others would take exception to that statement.

Im talking offensive side of the ball.
StLunatic88

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Time to cut ties, its been a great run, and I appreciate everything he has done. But we need to move into a new era of Rams football.
mcfly

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree. As amazing as Sjax has been, and how thankful I am to his devotion to our franchise.. I'd be lying if I said I looked back with fond memories on the Steven Jackson era of Rams football... I wouldn't be devastated to move on..
The J.R.S.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

StLunatic88 wrote:
Time to cut ties, its been a great run, and I appreciate everything he has done. But we need to move into a new era of Rams football.

I can't get myself there. I don't want to see him in any other uniform. If we can sign him to a deal in the neighborhood of 1.5 mil, then what is the downside? Any other RB you sign to replace him will cost nearly that much.

He has been the heart and soul of this team for some trying years. I think it is being under estimated just how much his leadership and A+ character means to this team.

As talented as we are becoming, this is an incredibly young team, with some questionable characters thrown into the mix. Considering these factors, his value above a potential replacement player makes him a steal at 1.5mil.

Real sports fans do not condone ESPN.
Flatlyner

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The J.R.S. wrote:
StLunatic88 wrote:

I can't get myself there. I don't want to see him in any other uniform. If we can sign him to a deal in the neighborhood of 1.5 mil, then what is the downside? Any other RB you sign to replace him will cost nearly that much.

He has been the heart and soul of this team for some trying years. I think it is being under estimated just how much his leadership and A+ character means to this team.

As talented as we are becoming, this is an incredibly young team, with some questionable characters thrown into the mix. Considering these factors, his value above a potential replacement player makes him a steal at 1.5mil.

I seriously doubt that he would accept an offer of only 1.5 million from us. I can just about assure you some other team will offer more then that. Thats money spent better elsewhere IMO.
Lamarcus Joyner
Tre Mason
The J.R.S.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flatlyner wrote:
The J.R.S. wrote:
StLunatic88 wrote:

I seriously doubt that he would accept an offer of only 1.5 million from us. I can just about assure you some other team will offer more then that. Thats money spent better elsewhere IMO.

It may be a long shot, but S-Jax will be wiling to get paid less to stay here. He is one of the few professional athletes that I feel confident in taking their word on such matters.

Real sports fans do not condone ESPN.
Flatlyner

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The J.R.S. wrote:
Flatlyner wrote:
The J.R.S. wrote:
StLunatic88 wrote:

It may be a long shot, but S-Jax will be wiling to get paid less to stay here. He is one of the few professional athletes that I feel confident in taking their word on such matters.

He hasn't given us his word, so that is sort of irrelevant. If he did, then sure, he's a believable guy.
Lamarcus Joyner
Tre Mason

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> St. Louis Rams All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: