Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Cardinals make Bruce Arians next head coach
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rygar

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
This, and Arians coddled Ben. Ben wanted to look for big plays all the time and Arians system allowed it. While the big plays happened more often under Arians, that logic ultimately hurt more than it helped and killed alot of drives, because they were trying to force the big play pretty much all the time.

Notice Ben at the beginning of 2012 before his injury. He was extremely efficient and playing some of the best ball he ever played. It went against what Ben wanted to do, but Haley still kept him upright and kept the offense flowing. If it werent for Ben;s injury, Haley and the offense would get much more respect and the Steelers would be in the playoffs.

Despite being one of Roethlisberger's biggest advocates, I'm with Haley on this. The offensive line wasn't good enough for there to be very many deep passing plays without risking sacks, turnovers or injuries. Maybe they could have attempted a few more, but I didn't want a return to Arians' philosophy. The problem is, we ended up with Arians' philosophy after Roethlisberger came back from his injury.

It typically takes six weeks for somebody to heal from the type of rib injury he suffered, and that's not including the time necessary for an athlete to get back into proper playing condition. His accuracy deteriorated markedly after the injury. On top of that, opposing defenses took away all the short routes, and neither Charlie Batch nor Roethlisberger post-injury could keep defenses honest with accurate deep and intermediate passes. It didn't help that the offensive line started to get hurt again, or that the WRs (including Mike Wallace) are all a bunch of smurfs who can't beat press coverage.

Basically, Roethlisberger's injury crated a domino effect that caused the entire season to unravel. I very much liked what I saw from Haley's offense prior to Roethlisberger's injury, but afterward, Haley was damned if he did and damned if he didn't. The running game wasn't effective, and Roethlisberger was scattershot. It was a no-win situation for the offense.
SteelKing728

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should have just kept Ken Whisenhunt.

I really don't see the difference. If anything, this was a "lateral move" by the organization.

I'll give him 2 years though before he's fired. BOLD prediction!

down but not out. I still believe!
Bednarik60

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteelKing728 wrote:
Should have just kept Ken Whisenhunt.

I really don't see the difference. If anything, this was a "lateral move" by the organization.

Those were my first thoughts, system/schematic wise they are the same dude. But maybe they saw some intangibles in Bruce that Ken didnt have that that they feel they need.

This is a organization tho that has been making a lot of "lateral moves" and need to make some big boy aggressive moves this offseason aka "HOW CAN WE GET FITZ THE BALL!?" .. Maybe Bruce has that answer.

Sig/Art by The Great Silo
#championCHIP #CHIPlife #Sparkles
theJ

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reports are out that Todd Bowles will be the new defensive coordinator.

Quote:
Mike Silver of Yahoo! Sports reports that Horton is out as the Arizona defensive coordinator. Per Silver, he’ll be replaced by former Eagles defensive coordinator Todd Bowles on Bruce Arians’ staff.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/01/17/report-horton-out-bowles-in-as-cardinals-defensive-coordinator/

Dumb dumb dumb.

Don't follow your passion, take your passion with you.
SLO.CardsFan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the 1st pick in 2014 NFL Draft, the Arizona Cardinals select..

Oh god.. im having a worst day.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a Steelers fan, I think I echo the sentiments of my fellow fans when I say:

"olololooooolololololololololoolololoolo"
stchamp98

Most Valuable Poster (3rd Ballot)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thelonebillsfan wrote:
khodder wrote:
GOGRIESE wrote:
khodder wrote:
GOGRIESE wrote:
Horton is going to be maaaaadddd

Already is. Arians does not want him on staff either. Someone is going to get a great coach.

Why would someone not want him on their staff?

Ask Bruce Arians.

I am at a loss. This is just plain dumb.

Horton turned a bunch of no name guys and late round picks into a top 5 defense.

I love Ray Horton, love him. Losing him pains to me greatly and he will truly be missed by all of Bird Gang nation. THAT SAID, this is the most ridiculous statement I have read in quite some time. This defense is loaded with talent and not one of those players was an Arizona Cardinal draft pick below round 4. Not one. Dan Williams, Calais Campbell, Daryl Washington and Patrick Peterson were all top 50 draft picks.

Please, don't make statements like this when you haven't done the research.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bowles is a really good coach, coming from a Dolphins fan.

But its still outrageously dumb to get rid of a guy like Ray Horton. I'd have to expect Horton requested this himself (probably feeling rejected by the FO), as even Arians wouldn't be dumb enough to "not want him on his staff".

Nacho Simulation Football League
stchamp98

Most Valuable Poster (3rd Ballot)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheKillerNacho wrote:

But its still outrageously dumb to get rid of a guy like Ray Horton. I'd have to expect Horton requested this himself (probably feeling rejected by the FO), as even Arians wouldn't be dumb enough to "not want him on his staff".

Yes, Horton requested out. While Arians was exploring other DC options, Horton's agent confirmed that Arians would ask Ray to remain on staff. Horton wanting out was a decision based on how the head coaching search was conducted, it had nothing to do with Bruce Arians.

You can read more about it in the Cardinals forum if interested.

Most Valuable Poster (4th Ballot)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stchamp98 wrote:
TheKillerNacho wrote:

Yes, Horton requested out. While Arians was exploring other DC options, Horton's agent confirmed that Arians would ask Ray to remain on staff. Horton wanting out was a decision based on how the head coaching search was conducted, it had nothing to do with Bruce Arians.

You can read more about it in the Cardinals forum if interested.
Interesting. I take back what I said in the other thread, then.

Still skeptical about Bowles, but I can understand how Horton couldn't have come back. Calling your GM a "Lying POS" isn't what you do when you're trying to reconcile.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whisenhunt should have stayed, he's a good coach, he needed another year or two to fix that o-line. With that said, I do feel Arians is underrated by members of this board though.
RainbowCarebear

Location: "Are you hungry, child?" Yes, she thought, but not for food.
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Odd hiring when you consider who they just fired. But we'll see how it plays out.

"Do you imagine Whoresbane loves you any better? If you did not hold the ..., he would pull out your entrails and make you eat them"
"In return, we swore that we should always be their men"
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dawsonleery wrote:
Whisenhunt should have stayed, he's a good coach, he needed another year or two to fix that o-line. With that said, I do feel Arians is underrated by members of this board though.

He was there for 6 years. The team has declined greatly on offense since he got there and the defense only improved once Horton arrived. I dont like the Arians hire, but Whiz is not that good of a coach.

I agree they shouldve kept Whiz, mainly because this is a lateral move at best and they lose a good DC. At least with Whiz, Horton sticks around.

Madden 25 Steelers Franchise
JDLefebvre

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SLO.CardsFan wrote:
With the 1st pick in 2014 NFL Draft, the Arizona Cardinals select..

the suspense is killing me... who do they take???

Laughing

thanks El ramster

KCCO!!!
oderint dum metuant
topwop1

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RainbowCarebear wrote:
Odd hiring when you consider who they just fired. But we'll see how it plays out.

My feelings exactly. Rumor has it that had Arians got the Bears head coaching job his plans were to bring Whisenhunt with him as OC, Russ Grimm as OL coach and Todd Bowles as DC. Kind of weird how Arizona fired Whisenhunt only to bring in his good buddy Arians as his replacement. Seems kind of backwards.

Don't get me wrong I think Arians is a fine selection and would have been equally as happy if the Bears chose him instead of Trestman, but I just feel that Arizona shouldn't have canned Whisenhunt to begin with because he's a good coach and the problem over there had more to do with the GM bringing in the right personnel than the coaching; and now they are forced to get rid of a good defensive coordinator in Horton. Ah well, some things I'll just never understand.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8

Jump to: