Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Pat Shurmur OC - what were your thoughts on him?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> St. Louis Rams
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kempes

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:02 pm    Post subject: Pat Shurmur OC - what were your thoughts on him? Reply with quote

Hey peeps, Eagles fan here.. apparently Shurmur is joining us for next year, presumably as an OC but nothing confirmed as of yet concerning his role.

Just wanted to check in here and see your thoughts on how he performed for you guys as an OC in 09/10? You guys know him best.

Cheers.
ramsfan55

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He is very conservative, and run oriented. Does a lot of safe routes and encourages the check down. Dont look to be an explosive offense. More of a productive one. You could have definitely done worse then Shurmur, but he is a solid coordinator.
Jonezy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hope you like 4 yard routes lol

^Delphi83^ (Sig)
<El Ramster.< (Avatar)
[quote="norcalraider510"]
Rams front 4 is going to be amazing next year[/quote]
jjab360

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably the most conservative O coordinator in the entire NFL. Took maybe one deep shot every two games when he was here, if that.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jjab360 wrote:
Probably the most conservative O coordinator in the entire NFL. Took maybe one deep shot every two games when he was here, if that.

Looks like DeSean Jackson is gonna have a boring year then.....
StLunatic88

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kempes wrote:
jjab360 wrote:

Looks like DeSean Jackson is gonna have a boring year then.....
Wait a second, you need to take what these guys are saying with a grain of salt. When Schurmer was our OC, Brandon Gibson was the only WR doing anything. He had nothing like DeSean Jackson and Jeremy Maclin. If you want a real read on his offensive style you should go to the Browns forum. They saw alot more of him than we did, not to mention he ran things his way in Cleveland, while he was clearly operating within the restrictions of Spags while in St. Louis.

I like what I saw of his offenses in Cleveland. He really starting to utilize Josh Gordan, and if Greg Little didnt have such a bad drops problem their O could have been pretty good with Brandon Weeden at the helm.

I would think even if he was OC, his bigger role would be as QBs coach, and from what I have seen & heard from people, he is very good in that capacity (getting young QBs to learn & grow) He helped Sam be OROY, which he then dropped off under the guru that was Josh McDaniels.

I would assume he can adapt to what ever Chip wants to run, and just start molding who ever you decide is your young QB moving forward.
NVRamsFan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you'll see a healthy dose of McCoy and company. Also look for DeSean to get a lot of YAC opportunities. We did not have the talent to run the offense he'll install for you that the Eagles have. I think all in all it'll be a good year offensively for McCoy, Celek, Jackson and I wouldn't be shocked if he runs with Foles at QB.
ajhicks11

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm very curious to see what Chip Kelly's influence will do to Shurmers conservative ways.
chris00cm

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You won't find a more conservative play caller in the league.

He protects the QB... but protects them waaay too much.

Xbox Live Gamertag: Chris Sanity
The J.R.S.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ajhicks11 wrote:
I'm very curious to see what Chip Kelly's influence will do to Shurmers conservative ways.

This.

It will be interesting to see what they do to address the QB position.

Real sports fans do not condone ESPN.
S-jax39

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hated him. I'll never forget how he almost lost us that broncos game with his stupid play calling.
jrry32

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in disbelief that some here still will fight Shurmur's battles. Frankly, if he's calling your plays, I feel sorry for you.

But my bet is that Kelly will handle the play-calling with Shurmur working as the QB Coach and helping with the game-planning. I'll say this much, Shurmur's scripted plays were excellent. But once he had to make adjustments and make the in-game calls, he sucked.

Doesn't adjust, is completely conservative, goes into turtle mode with a lead and runs a complete dink and dunk offense. So much focus on the short routes.

Forces his QBs to play way too safe and conservatively. I'm glad he's gone.

I can't see his style of play-calling meshing well with Kelly so I think Kelly will be handling that aspect of things.

But would he do it in a Sharknado?
The J.R.S.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jrry32 wrote:
I'm in disbelief that some here still will fight Shurmur's battles. Frankly, if he's calling your plays, I feel sorry for you.

But my bet is that Kelly will handle the play-calling with Shurmur working as the QB Coach and helping with the game-planning. I'll say this much, Shurmur's scripted plays were excellent. But once he had to make adjustments and make the in-game calls, he sucked.

Doesn't adjust, is completely conservative, goes into turtle mode with a lead and runs a complete dink and dunk offense. So much focus on the short routes.

Forces his QBs to play way too safe and conservatively. I'm glad he's gone.

I can't see his style of play-calling meshing well with Kelly so I think Kelly will be handling that aspect of things.

I thought Shurmur did a good job calling an offense that suited the talent at his disposal while here in STL. This becomes especially true if you compare his work with that of Josh McDaniels. His approach here was conservative, and perhaps was in Cleveland also, but both teams warranted such a strategy.

Think about it in STL, he had 4 rookie pass catchers (Salas, Pettis, Amendola, Kendricks), a rookie LT, and a rookie QB. Conservative was his only option, and he milked a historically notable season for his rookie pass caller. What did he do to deserve blame? Here's what wikipedia says regarding his one season in STL:

"He helped the Rams improve to a 7–9 record following a 1–15 season in 2009, the second-biggest turnaround in the league in 2010. He guided St. Louis’ offense to improvements in nearly every category including total yards, time of possession and third-down percentage, while they also scored 114 more points than the previous year. In addition, the Rams committed just 21 turnovers in 2010, tied for the ninth-lowest total in the NFL"

Real sports fans do not condone ESPN.
Ramsfan28

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I felt like most fans do, in that he was too conservative, but I'm also one to call a spade a spade and say that he didn't exactly have elite offensive talent surrounding him. Honestly, Cleveland might give you a better heads up on what to expect. But asking Rams fans about him, we will just tell you Kelly + Shurmur = Spread-4 yard slant route offense

Adopt-a-Ram
CB Janoris Jenkins
9 TKL, 1 FF

ViolentMonk71 wrote:

We're football fans...reactionary, delusional, and passionate...
jrry32

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The J.R.S. wrote:

I thought Shurmur did a good job calling an offense that suited the talent at his disposal while here in STL. This becomes especially true if you compare his work with that of Josh McDaniels. His approach here was conservative, and perhaps was in Cleveland also, but both teams warranted such a strategy.

Think about it in STL, he had 4 rookie pass catchers (Salas, Pettis, Amendola, Kendricks), a rookie LT, and a rookie QB. Conservative was his only option, and he milked a historically notable season for his rookie pass caller. What did he do to deserve blame? Here's what wikipedia says regarding his one season in STL:

"He helped the Rams improve to a 7–9 record following a 1–15 season in 2009, the second-biggest turnaround in the league in 2010. He guided St. Louis’ offense to improvements in nearly every category including total yards, time of possession and third-down percentage, while they also scored 114 more points than the previous year. In addition, the Rams committed just 21 turnovers in 2010, tied for the ninth-lowest total in the NFL"

I didn't. And I don't think saying he did better than McDaniels is much of a compliment.

Conservative was not his only option and he certainly didn't need to go anywhere near as conservative as he did. I feel that he stunted Sam's growth.

But would he do it in a Sharknado?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> St. Louis Rams All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: