Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Best teams to not win a super bowl?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
7DnBrnc53

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:08 pm    Post subject: 49ers, Packers, and Broncos Reply with quote

GaTechRavens wrote:
Since I have about an hour to kill before my next heart attack, I thought I'd offer my thoughts on the teams mentioned in this thread. Why not?

1976 Steelers - They were definitely better than their 10-4 record, but here's what I take issue with. I always see their 1-4 start referred to as a narrative, not something that they really should be penalized for. Their 9 game run to end of the season was incredible, but seasons aren't 9 games long. Their dominance during that run might place them ahead of every other 4 loss team, but those losses plus the stinker in the AFC championship take them out of the conversation.

1983 Redskins - They have just about everything you need from a candidate for the best non-SB team, but their Super Bowl performance was so horrid that the one game alone almost disqualifies them completely.

1987 49ers - More or less equal to the Saints that year (but reasonable to say they were slightly better). Outside of the division, San Francisco had a relatively light schedule but pounded the good teams they faced. Still, the awful showings both the 49ers and the Saints had against the Vikings in the playoffs scares me. They're not towards the top of my list personally.

1990 49ers - Identical to the 1989 team in record only. Joe Montana wasn't quite the same and Roger Craig was a dead man walking at this point. The 49ers were more of a defensive team - still great, but not historically dominant like the 1989 team. The Giants game was much less of an upset than people think it was.

1990 Bills - Not a whole lot of doubt that they were the best AFC team from 1984 to 1996, with few worthwhile alternatives. Their playoff showing prior to the Super Bowl was obscenely dominant - and given the fact that the AFC as a whole was better in 1990 than it was in just about any other year during the slump, that means more than you'd think.

1994 Cowboys - It's hard to place them too far up on any kind of list when they so clearly had another team that was superior in San Francisco. Their overall resume is strong, though not strong enough to consider them here (4 losses is a deal breaker).

1996 Broncos - Elway didn't play in this one, but they were eviscerated 41-6 by Green Bay late in the season. That's why I hate it so much when people act like they were going to go all the way. I have no reason to believe they would have beaten a true juggernaut in Green Bay in the Super Bowl. And the Jacksonville game, which really wasn't even as close as the final score, can and should penalize them severely.

1997 Packers - Genuinely not as good as the 1996 team. They dominated very few teams on their schedule and actually lost to the 3-13 Colts.

1998 Vikings - Every bit as good as they were hyped up to be. The Vikes actually turned in their best performances against their toughest competition that year. They went 4-0 against playoff teams, winning every game by double digits. Peole forget how they just toyed with a Packers team that was just coming off its dominant run the previous few years.

2001 Rams - Probably not better than the 1999 team and probably not good enough to get GOAT talk if they won it all. While they were still a downright incredible team, they struggled much more with their tougher foes than the Vikings did.

2004 Eagles - People forget that this was basically a 13-1 team. They rested their starters in the final two weeks and that probably does somewhat hurt their legacy, unfortunately. That being said, they weren't overly dominant against a comically weak schedule and floundered against their toughest opponent during the season (a 27-3 loss to Pittsburgh)

2005 Colts - A strangely forgotten team since they won the Super Bowl the next year and had many other playoff failures. Despite the reputation of Manning and his team to an extent, these guys were actually road warriors. They went 5-1 against playoff teams with their only loss coming to Seattle with rested starters (if those two teams went at it at full strength? Wow)

2007 Patriots - Pretty self-explanatory. If they win the Super Bowl, they're the GOAT.

2009 Vikings - Too many ugly losses to put them anywhere near the conversation. They had dreadful performances against Arizona and Carolina late in the season. During the regular season, their sweep of Green Bay was really their only noteworthy accomplishment against an impressive opponent.

1. I agree with you about the 1987 and 1990 49ers. The 87 Niners swept their scab games last year, and Montana and Craig played in two of them. In 1990, they should have lost at Houston, they almost lost at Cincy, they only beat the 3-13 Browns at home by three, and they could have lost to the Giants at home on MNF.

2. The 90 Bills were the best team by the end of the season, but the Giants, like the NFC East teams that Buffalo would play the next three years, matched up well with them, and Belichick had a great defensive game plan.

3. In Denver's loss to GB in 1996, the score was 41-6 because they benched TD for the whole second half, and his backups had two fumbles that blew the game open. It was only 13-6 at halftime.

Also, I have a beef with some other points about that season that you had:

* I don't think that the Packers were unbeatable that year. Take away Desmond Howard's return, and they might have lost to the Pats in that Super Bowl.

* I don't agree with your assertion that the Jags should have defeated Denver by more than they did. The Jags benefited from three penalties in that game. The first was an iffy pass interference call on a Tory James INT when it was 12-0 Denver in the first half. The second was on the opening kickoff of the second half. Vaughn Hebron returned it to around the JAX 37, but it was called back due to penalty. The third penalty was the Michael Dean Perry debacle when he couldn't get off the field on 4th down, and Denver got called for too many men on the field. Take one of those penalties away, and the Broncos probably win.
reckless123

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow with all these BOLD mentions, i might as well put the 2008 giants. My goodness.

"I'm not in the danger, I AM the DANGER" - Heisenberg
RuskieTitan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

13-3 Tennessee Titans with a motivated Big Al.

Only thing that could stop them was 2 fat boys fumbling inside the 20, and the refs giving the other team a 43 second playclock.

In other words, pure luck and flat-out cheating (on top of attempting to injure players) let a certain team bet the Titans.

It should have been our year, damnit.

^^ryknowssd^^
Supporter of the Death Penalty in CFB
FF Hunger Games I Winner

titans0021 wrote:
Official Order
1.Michael Griffin

#JDI
Rosstafarian

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RuskieTitan wrote:

Only thing that could stop them was 2 fat boys fumbling inside the 20, and the refs giving the other team a 43 second playclock.

In other words, pure luck and flat-out cheating (on top of attempting to injure players) let a certain team bet the Titans.

That's a crappy QB to be foisting a "Greatest that didn't" label onto.
Badger75

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Late 1960's Cleveland Browns coached by Blanton Collier, with Jim Brown, Leroy Kelly, Paul Warfield and Frank Ryan.

SF 49ers coached by D. Nolan with John Brodie at QB.

LA Rams coached by George Allen with Deacon Jones and QB Roman Gabriel.

A few odd bounces and the Packers and Cowboys are replaced by one of these near-great teams.
sp6488

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RuskieTitan wrote:

Boo hoo!

Shouldn't even be close to this list.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JTagg7754 wrote:
2007 Patriots were the best team ever to step foot on a football field IMO. I'd find it tough to argue against them.

Outside of the whole...losing...thing? Not a whole lot seperates the 2007 Patriots with the 2011 Packers for me. Great offenses, ok defenses, lost to the Giants. Laughing

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RuskieTitan wrote:

Not going to get into the other stuff, but isn't the 2 fat boys fumbling inside the 20...kind of your fault? As in, that makes you a worse team and should totally hurt you in a GOAT debate?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GaTechRavens wrote:
2004 Eagles - People forget that this was basically a 13-1 team. They rested their starters in the final two weeks and that probably does somewhat hurt their legacy, unfortunately. That being said, they weren't overly dominant against a comically weak schedule and floundered against their toughest opponent during the season (a 27-3 loss to Pittsburgh)

Good call on the '04 Eagles. They were by far the most dominant team in the NFC that year. Although there were later issues, T.O and McNabb had an amazing chemistry on the field. We should have won the Super Bowl if it weren't for McNabb's turnovers and Reid's play calling.

^Thanks to McNabbNo5 for the sig, Phire for the avy
iknowcool

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GmenSeattle wrote:
JTagg7754 wrote:
2007 Patriots were the best team ever to step foot on a football field IMO. I'd find it tough to argue against them.

Outside of the whole...losing...thing? Not a whole lot seperates the 2007 Patriots with the 2011 Packers for me. Great offenses, ok defenses, lost to the Giants. Laughing

Their defense was ranked 4th in PPG and 4th in YPG. Certainly seems more than just an "OK" defense.
C0LTSFAN4L1F3

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why no Mention of the 2009 Colts? This is ridiculous...THEY WOULD HAVE BEEN 18-1. Had they not benched their starters the last game they would have been 18-0 going into the Super Bowl.
ArrowheadRage58

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

'97 Chiefs (with Rich Gannon)

They were already a pretty good team with Grbac, but better than the Broncos with Gannon. I went to a game against a good SF team and with Gannon at the helm they destryoed them like 44-9.

You're talking about a guy in Gannon who was better than C Kaep is at this point and a guy in Grbac who is worse than Alex Smith. You got the #1 scoring D, Andre Rison, Tony G, one of the top return games, and a tremendous O-Line that could run the ball down your throat.

People just seem to be mad because the chiefs are all of a sudden doing what their fans thought they were capable of
RuskieTitan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GaTechRavens wrote:
RuskieTitan wrote:

Not going to get into the other stuff, but isn't the 2 fat boys fumbling inside the 20...kind of your fault? As in, that makes you a worse team and should totally hurt you in a GOAT debate?

It's the Kyle Williams argument. If he didn't fumble those two punt returns last year, more likely than not the 49ers are in the Super Bowl last year.

That was two redzone trips that resulted in 0 points, in a game decided by a FG that was due to an additional 3 seconds past 0 on the playclock to pick up a first down.

That team steamrolled through the regular season. Refs, bad luck and attempting to twist / bend backwards a player to injure him is what ultimately cost that team a playoff game.

^^ryknowssd^^
Supporter of the Death Penalty in CFB
FF Hunger Games I Winner

titans0021 wrote:
Official Order
1.Michael Griffin

#JDI
GmenSeattle

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iknowcool wrote:
GmenSeattle wrote:
JTagg7754 wrote:

Their defense was ranked 4th in PPG and 4th in YPG. Certainly seems more than just an "OK" defense.

Yea was playing off memory not the stats Laughing Lets see if I can try to make an argument here...the Pats were always ahead so opponents always had to throw the ball and as long as the Pats had a solid pass d (which they did) their D as a whole will look good? Sure. I'll run with that.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RuskieTitan wrote:
GaTechRavens wrote:
RuskieTitan wrote:

It's the Kyle Williams argument. If he didn't fumble those two punt returns last year, more likely than not the 49ers are in the Super Bowl last year.

That was two redzone trips that resulted in 0 points, in a game decided by a FG that was due to an additional 3 seconds past 0 on the playclock to pick up a first down.

That team steamrolled through the regular season. Refs, bad luck and attempting to twist / bend backwards a player to injure him is what ultimately cost that team a playoff game.

But, again, those mistakes are your fault.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL General All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: