Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Best teams to not win a super bowl?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nabbs4u

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BlaqOptic wrote:
GaTechRavens wrote:

2004 Eagles - People forget that this was basically a 13-1 team. They rested their starters in the final two weeks and that probably does somewhat hurt their legacy, unfortunately. That being said, they weren't overly dominant against a comically weak schedule and floundered against their toughest opponent during the season (a 27-3 loss to Pittsburgh)

This is what I don't get... Pittsburgh absolutely decimated them... Like it really wasn't even close. Pittsburgh held up for the entirety of the 4th quarter out of fear they might see them in the Super Bowl. Likewise, Pittsburgh beat New England the week afterwards. Philadelphia MIGHT have gone 15-1 but Pittsburgh DID go 15-1 while resting their starters.

Yet whenever these topics pop up everyone always mentions the 2004 Eagles but not the 2004 Steelers... a team that won it all the next season.

That would be the equivalent of a Eagle fan claiming in 2008 they were the better team then the eventual Champs because of the absolute beat down they put on Rothlisberger earlier that season with what 9-10 sacks? If TO was never horse collared to broke his leg not only do they probably beat the Patriots but TO never has a reason to act like a two year old baby , never leaves Philly and you probably see them the following year in the SB. However the 04' team pails in comparison to what the 91' Eagles team could of done with a healthy Randall Cunningham and that Defense!!!

Bird Watch:
Jeremy Maclin: 7 Gm/ 39 Rec/ 632 Yds/ 6 TD/ 16.2 YPC/
ArrowheadRage58

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

7DnBrnc53 wrote:
ArrowheadRage58 wrote:
'97 Chiefs (with Rich Gannon)

They were already a pretty good team with Grbac, but better than the Broncos with Gannon. I went to a game against a good SF team and with Gannon at the helm they destryoed them like 44-9.

You're talking about a guy in Gannon who was better than C Kaep is at this point and a guy in Grbac who is worse than Alex Smith. You got the #1 scoring D, Andre Rison, Tony G, one of the top return games, and a tremendous O-Line that could run the ball down your throat.

I don't think that they were better than the Broncos even with Gannon, and that win over SF, while very good, wasn't quite as impressive as you were saying because the Niners were a paper tiger who beat up on a weak division.

However, the 97 Chiefs were still pretty good, and them and Denver were the two best teams in the NFL that year.

As for Gannon, the Chiefs should have kept him after the 98 season, and traded Grbac.

I don't know, the Donks lost to the Niners 34-17 that year, so whatever floats your boat. KC was also 13-3 with Grbac starting 10 games, Den was 12-4. The playoff game was 14-10 with a contreversial would be TD catch by Tony G where he was pushed out back when the refs determined weather he would've come down in bounds. Gannon's ability to make plays would've made an enormous difference in that game.

Yeah, we should've kept him, the players knew it, the fans knew it...

People just seem to be mad because the chiefs are all of a sudden doing what their fans thought they were capable of
eo5686

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Almost every year in the 2000s, the best team didn't win the superbowl.
56GiantPens66

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GmenSeattle wrote:
PatriotBeast wrote:
roger murdock wrote:
2007 Pats for sure. They are the best team I have ever seen.

agreed Smile
18-1 is still pretty good
but not PERFECT.

which year did the dolphins go 19-0?

It was 16-0 and in '72

I thought the Dolphins went 17-0.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

56GiantPens66 wrote:
GmenSeattle wrote:
PatriotBeast wrote:
roger murdock wrote:
2007 Pats for sure. They are the best team I have ever seen.

agreed Smile
18-1 is still pretty good
but not PERFECT.

which year did the dolphins go 19-0?

It was 16-0 and in '72

I thought the Dolphins went 17-0.

You are correct sir

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nabbs4u wrote:
That would be the equivalent of a Eagle fan claiming in 2008 they were the better team then the eventual Champs because of the absolute beat down they put on Rothlisberger earlier that season with what 9-10 sacks? If TO was never horse collared to broke his leg not only do they probably beat the Patriots but TO never has a reason to act like a two year old baby , never leaves Philly and you probably see them the following year in the SB. However the 04' team pails in comparison to what the 91' Eagles team could of done with a healthy Randall Cunningham and that Defense!!!

Except your comparison doesn't work for a couple of reasons...

The 2004 Steelers were clearly better than the 2004 Eagles. You can proclaim that if Owens didn't get hurt the Eagles might have won the Super Bowl. They're no factual basis behind that. What I do know is that the Steelers did beat the Patriots head-to-head and beat the Eagles head-to-head in back to back weeks. As someone already said the Eagles were the beneficiary of a week NFC.

The 2008 Eagles were what? 11-5/10-6? The 2004 Steelers were 15-1... including beating the Eagles and Patriots(the two teams with the 2nd and 3rd best records in the league that season).

The reality is the 2005 Steelers proved my point by winning it all the very next season despite missing Roethlisberger a quarter of the season...

Finally, the 2008 Eagles didn't destroy the 2008 Steelers. It was 15-6 and it was 7 sacks. Despite those 7 sacks it was a 9 point game. Although it wasn't as close as the scoreboard suggests.

Also, if Andy Reid was a competent head coach guess what? The Eagles WOULD have been Super Bowl champions. They would have better prepared for the Cardinals(I, quite literally, as a Steelers fan familiar with the Cards' coaching staff was sitting at a Steelers/Eagles Championship Game Party calling out all of Wisenhunts' plays. If I could do it Reid's players should have been able to). Oh, and for the record I have said for years that the 2008 Eagles would have beat the Steelers in the Super Bowl.

Trust in the 4Bs: Ben, Bell, Blount and Brown!
BaltimoreTerp

Most Valuable Poster (4th Ballot)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BlaqOptic wrote:
(I, quite literally, as a Steelers fan familiar with the Cards' coaching staff was sitting at a Steelers/Eagles Championship Game Party calling out all of Wisenhunts' plays.
Man, your friends must hate you. Laughing

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 1990 Bills
GaTechRavens

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sleeper pick: the 1973 LA Rams. They went 12-2, outscored their opponents 388-178, and their two losses came by the narrowest of margins against top competition on the road.

Then, because of the NFL's ridiculously stupid playoff rules at the time, they had to go on the road to face a 10-4 Dallas team. They lost 27-16.

As for more recent teams that aren't getting enough love, the Patriots teams of the last 3 years have been extremely dominant.

Also - while they definitely don't belong in this discussion - I want to offer a shout out to the 2006 Bears. I don't care who the quarterback was, that was a dominant football team. I've rarely seen anything like the early season tear they went on.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BaltimoreTerp wrote:
BlaqOptic wrote:
(I, quite literally, as a Steelers fan familiar with the Cards' coaching staff was sitting at a Steelers/Eagles Championship Game Party calling out all of Wisenhunts' plays.
Man, your friends must hate you. Laughing

My friend Dan wanted to slit my throat... Even more so when the Eagles lost.

Trust in the 4Bs: Ben, Bell, Blount and Brown!
7DnBrnc53

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ArrowheadRage58 wrote:
7DnBrnc53 wrote:
ArrowheadRage58 wrote:
'97 Chiefs (with Rich Gannon)

They were already a pretty good team with Grbac, but better than the Broncos with Gannon. I went to a game against a good SF team and with Gannon at the helm they destryoed them like 44-9.

You're talking about a guy in Gannon who was better than C Kaep is at this point and a guy in Grbac who is worse than Alex Smith. You got the #1 scoring D, Andre Rison, Tony G, one of the top return games, and a tremendous O-Line that could run the ball down your throat.

I don't think that they were better than the Broncos even with Gannon, and that win over SF, while very good, wasn't quite as impressive as you were saying because the Niners were a paper tiger who beat up on a weak division.

However, the 97 Chiefs were still pretty good, and them and Denver were the two best teams in the NFL that year.

As for Gannon, the Chiefs should have kept him after the 98 season, and traded Grbac.

I don't know, the Donks lost to the Niners 34-17 that year, so whatever floats your boat. KC was also 13-3 with Grbac starting 10 games, Den was 12-4. The playoff game was 14-10 with a contreversial would be TD catch by Tony G where he was pushed out back when the refs determined weather he would've come down in bounds. Gannon's ability to make plays would've made an enormous difference in that game.

Yeah, we should've kept him, the players knew it, the fans knew it...

Denver did lose to the Niners that year, but that was on Joe Montana night, and that was the night where Jerry Rice came back from injury, so SF had an advantage. Also, Denver was reeling from a loss at Pittsburgh where they blew a 21-7 lead. And, TD didn't play the second half of that 49er game.

As for the divisional loss, I watched that Den-KC game again recently, and I think that Gonzo was out, but just barely. However, the Chiefs still got three out of that, and Denver fumbled the ball later in the second half at the goal line.

Also, as far as Gannon was concerned, he may have made a difference, but they did talk on the pregame show how Elvis deserved to stay in there. The next year, though, Denver went 2-0 against Gannon, including a 30-6 win on MNF at Arrowhead with Bubby at QB replacing an injured Elway.

Rich did have them up 21-7 at the end of the first quarter later that year at Mile High, but Denver ended up winning 35-31.
FG21_PW52

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2011 49ers

janky wrote:
Bridgewater won't be better than Brandon Weeden

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL General All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7

Jump to: