Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Falcons Schedule Next Year
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BBIB

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

imani wrote:
Unless they make some serious moves on defense, i dont see much more than a 10 win season with this schedule.

One would assume that the draft would include a pass rusher with a 1st round pick

Or maybe a move for a Freeney in free agency

Either way the position will be addressed this off-season

When you don't have that many holes you can sure up the few that you do have
l3lind golfer

Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Until they get a franchise QB, the Falcons won't be winning anything anytime soon.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depending on when the games are scheduled and the conditions I don't necessarily see the Dolphins/Bills as being easy wins.

^ Jamison on the sig.
GFalcon

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

l3lind golfer wrote:
Until they get a franchise QB, the Falcons won't be winning anything anytime soon.

you are so full of ....

mack. ^
Justin Upton Stat Tracker: 12 HR 18 RBI .302 BA
Proud Air Traffic Control Student In Training!
JDKing14

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

l3lind golfer wrote:
Live free or troll hard.
BBIB

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

l3lind golfer wrote:

Good Luck to Kobe Bryant ever sniffing another playoff series win Wink
kmvoss

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have them going 10-6.
MARIO MANGELINI

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't the Falcons have the oldest roster in the NFL???

Anyways, I do not trust older rosters. Who's over 30 years old on their team that's a starter? Roddy White (31), Tony Gonzalez (36), Asante Samuel (32), John Abraham (34), Michael Turner (30), Dunta Robinson (30), Matt Bryant (OK this one doesn't matter too much, but whatever..... 37), Chris Hope (A backup safety BTW...32), Tyson Clabo (starting RT, 31), and Jonathan Babineaux (31). Those are all starters, with the exception of Chris Hope... I have the Falcons regressing big time. You can't trust regular NFL players to stay consistent, much less the old ones. How long can Asante and Dunta play at a high level? Abraham is their pass rush and he's old. Tyson Clabo is a starter at RT, and wasn't he already not doing too well?

I'm gonna say the Falcons go 7-9 with the Panthers winning the NFCS. Maybe the Saints make the wildcard. Let's see if the Panthers finally deliver on expectations this year.
BBIB

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MARIO MANGELINI wrote:

Anyways, I do not trust older rosters. Who's over 30 years old on their team that's a starter? Roddy White (31), Tony Gonzalez (36), Asante Samuel (32), John Abraham (34), Michael Turner (30), Dunta Robinson (30), Matt Bryant (OK this one doesn't matter too much, but whatever..... 37), Chris Hope (A backup safety BTW...32), Tyson Clabo (starting RT, 31), and Jonathan Babineaux (31). Those are all starters, with the exception of Chris Hope... I have the Falcons regressing big time. You can't trust regular NFL players to stay consistent, much less the old ones. How long can Asante and Dunta play at a high level? Abraham is their pass rush and he's old. Tyson Clabo is a starter at RT, and wasn't he already not doing too well?

I'm gonna say the Falcons go 7-9 with the Panthers winning the NFCS. Maybe the Saints make the wildcard. Let's see if the Panthers finally deliver on expectations this year.

So 31 is old for a receiver. That's just ludicrous

And Michael Turner isn't relied on nearly as much as he used to and Falcons for all intents and purposes will draft a future RB.

So that rookie RB along with Julio Jones , Roddy White, and Harry Douglass is ultimately still a very potent offense.

And Asante may be older but Falcons can also get Brent Grimes back next year.

Falcons have not had a losing record in the Mike Smith era and there is far too much talent to make such a projection like that

They add a big time pass rusher in free agency or the draft and the Falcons will be more talented next year
MARIO MANGELINI

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BBIB wrote:
MARIO MANGELINI wrote:

So 31 is old for a receiver. That's just ludicrous

And Michael Turner isn't relied on nearly as much as he used to and Falcons for all intents and purposes will draft a future RB.

So that rookie RB along with Julio Jones , Roddy White, and Harry Douglass is ultimately still a very potent offense.

And Asante may be older but Falcons can also get Brent Grimes back next year.

Falcons have not had a losing record in the Mike Smith era and there is far too much talent to make such a projection like that

They add a big time pass rusher in free agency or the draft and the Falcons will be more talented next year

First of all, LOL if you think you can find a big time pass rusher in FA. You don't think other teams want that? And you think they really transfer seamlessly? I guess that's why Mario Williams did so well last year, right? Riiiiight.

Second of all, 31 is old for anyone in football other than a kicker, punter, longsnapper, center, or quarterback. You need a ton of athleticism to play WR, and your muscles decline around the age of 31, limiting your effectiveness. And then there's injuries to factor in as well. Anyways, you only said that White should be effective. What about all of those other starters????

I did forget about Brent Grimes though, I'll give you that. And I am a fan of Jacquizz. Still, the Falcons are the oldest team in the NFL, and I don't trust them to stay good. Theirs a first time for everything. If you want to stay good as a coach in the NFL, you have to keep the roster young. The NFCS will be tougher next year as well, as will the Falcons schedule.

I'm sticking with 7-9, sig that if you must. We'll see who's closer.
Joe_is_the_best

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The schedule means nothing... Broncos had the hardest schedule at the beginning of the season, then ended up having a pretty easy one. You just don't know how good each team will be.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK I did some research on how the older rosters of the NFL fared... I went back to 2010 with age (of the whole roster, not just starters) ranks. Here they are:

Here is age ranks for 2010:

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/24828/age-rankings-for-every-nfl-team

The top 10 consist of the Redskins, Steelers, Browns, Vikings, Ravens, Patriots, Raiders, Lions, Chargers, and Broncos.

Now, for the season that followed, the teams that did good were the Steelers, Ravens, and Patriots (playoffs). The teams that sucked? Broncos, Browns, Raiders, and Lions. The other teams in the Vikings, Chargers, and Redskins were mediocre.

The following season after that though, these teams then had:

Successful seasons: Patriots, Steelers, Lions, and Ravens.

Mediocre seasons: Chargers, Broncos (this one rates as mediocre, IMO)

Bad seasons: Redskins, Browns, Vikings, and Raiders.

I can't really predict much after that because all these teams turned over their rosters a whole bunch by that time, some due to how much they sucked.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/id/44505/2011-nfl-team-age-ranks-at-53-man-cuts

2011 age rank top 10: Steelers, Cardinals, Chargers, Lions, Falcons, Rams, Jets, Patriots, Ravens, and Vikings.

In the 2011 season, these teams had:

Successful seasons: Steelers, Lions, Falcons, Patriots, Ravens.

Mediocre seasons: Cardinals, Chargers, Jets.

Bad seasons: Rams, Vikings.

Then in the 2012 season, these teams had:

Successful seasons: Falcons, Patriots, Ravens, Vikings.

Mediocre seasons: Rams, Steelers

Bad seasons: Chargers, Jets, Cardinals, Lions.

http://bloggingthebeast.com/2012/09/01/ranking-the-nfl-teams-by-age-rams-and-eagles-have-the-two-youngest-teams-in-the-nfl-chargers-are-the-oldest/

And then finally, the 2012 age ranks, top 10: Chargers, Falcons, Lions, Cardinals, Bears, 49ers, Bills, Steelers, Redskins, and Broncos.

Successful seasons: Broncos, Redskins, 49ers, Falcons.

Mediocre seasons: Bears, Steelers.

Bad seasons: Chargers, Lions, Cardinals, Bills.

Wow. Right now I'm kinda just absorbing all these numbers. I'll probably add more of a writeup later, FYI.

Still, it seems the best way to buck the age trend is to have a good QB. The Patriots prove this as they rank up there in the 2010 and 2011 seasons, they had bad defense then, but Tom Brady could bail them out.

The Steelers, however, could only buck the trend for so long, as they relied on their defense quite a lot. They have at least 1 HOF'er on their, and when he got older (Polamalu) they suffered as a result. Not even Big Ben, a pretty good QB, could save them.

The Chargers got screwed the whole way. They ranked up their in age and suffered through every season.

The Lions were good for one season, being bad in the other 2. Helps my argument a little.

The Ravens definitely have several HOF'ers on defense. When those HOF'ers declined, so did their defense, but their offense picked up the slack. I'm gonna have to think about this one for a bit.

Anyways, after ranking in the top 10 for two seasons in a row, I think the Falcons go the way of the Steelers, declining to be mediocre. Matt Ryan is better than Big Ben, but not by much, and they don't have a good defense to bail them out. I think the lack of pass rush will be very troubling for them. Anyways, after all of this, I am sticking by my 7-9 prediction.
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

imani wrote:
Unless they make some serious moves on defense, i dont see much more than a 10 win season with this schedule.

???

They were a good defense this year with alot of young players.

No SERIOUS changes need to be made. Just some tweaks and the addition of another pass rusher would help.

Madden 25 Steelers Franchise
MARIO MANGELINI

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
imani wrote:

???

No SERIOUS changes need to be made. Just some tweaks and the addition of another pass rusher would help.

Asante Samuel, Dunta Robinson, Jonathan Babineux, and John Abraham were all 30+, and all are starters. And John Abraham in fact, is their only source of pass rush...........
GSUeagles14

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MARIO MANGELINI wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:
imani wrote:

???

Asante Samuel, Dunta Robinson, Jonathan Babineux, and John Abraham were all 30+, and all are starters. And John Abraham in fact, is their only source of pass rush...........

Every year people try and come up with a reason the falcons won't be as good, every year they end up being wrong. Falcons are primarily a zone team so having great corners isn't pivotal. With that said, I still doubt a drop off from either. D tackles regressing at the age of 31 isn't really a concern either.

Abraham is but it's obvious we need a replacement for him anyway, or prep one at the very least.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL General All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: