Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

QB's Winning the SB

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Badger75

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:29 pm    Post subject: QB's Winning the SB Reply with quote

The QB's that guide their teams to winning the SB tend to be on a fast track to Canton.

Bart Starr 2 SB's
Joe Namath one
Len Dawson 1-1
John Unitas 1-1
Roger Staubach 2-3
Bob Griese 2-1
Terry Bradshaw 4-0
Ken Stabler one
Jim Plunkett 2-0*
Joe Montana 4-0
Joe Theisman 1-1
Jim McMahon one
Phil Simms one
Doug Williams one
Jeff Hostetler one
Mark Rypien one
Troy Aikman 3-0
Steve Young one
Brett Favre 1-1
John Elway 2-3
Kurt Warner 1-1
Trent Dilfer one
Tom Brady 3-2
Brad Johnson one
Ben Roethlisberger 2-0
Peyton Manning 1-1
Eli Manning 2-0
Aaron Rogers one
Drew Brees one

Only Jim Plunkett has 2 winning SB's and is not in the Hall of Fame.

Jim McMahon, Phil Simms, Doug Williams, Jeff Hostetler, Brad Johnson, and Trent Dilfer with one SB trophy each, are not in Canton.

Tom Brady, Peyton and Eli Manning, Aaron Rogers, Ben Rothlisberger and Drew Brees are still playing. Brett Favre and Kurt Warner have not been retired long enough.

The winning QB of the Harbowl will be a step closer to Canton. Odd the Plunkett isn't already in.
Rygar

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim Plunkett is an unusual case. He was the Heisman Trophy winner in 1970, and drafted #1 overall by the Patriots in 1971. He failed to meet the expectations that being a Heisman Trophy winner and #1 draft pick entailed, and eventually the Patriots let him go. After a couple of years with the 49ers, he signed with the Raiders as a backup to Dan Pastorini.

The year the Raiders won Super Bowl XV, Pastorini was the starter, but he broke his leg and was replaced by Plunkett for the rest of the season. Plunkett failed to keep his starting job despite helping the Raiders win the Super Bowl, but he became the starter again in 1983 after Marc Wilson was injured. The Raiders then won Super Bowl XVIII.

Jim Plunkett's pedestrian career statistics (more INTs than TD passes and a 67.5 rating), his .500 career record (72-72), his inability to keep a starting job after leaving the Patriots, and his failure to live up to the hype that surrounded him when he entered the league are why he's not in the Pro Football Hall of Fame. His career is basically Doug Williams x2.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kapernicus already being enshrined in Canton is interesting on so many levels. From a second Round Pick in 2011 to this point, really has been an interesting journey.

Obviously Tom Brady & Peyton Manning are no doubt about it First Ballot HOF guys. Rather than arguing the winner of the Super Bowl is destined for Canton, we should agree that either Flacco or Kapernicus is in the conversation of elite QBs.

There are 6 Elite Quarterbacks in the league today. Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers, Drew Brees, Eli Manning & Ben Roethlisberger.
stefan52268

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to be that guy but Ben is 2-1 in the Super Bowl.

Brady and Peyton should be 1st ballot guys as well as Favre.

If Rogers, Ben , Eli and Brees keep playing well they should get in as well.

I can see McMahon, Dilfer and Hostetler never getting in. Simms and Williams are possible but I doubt they will get in.

Props to Lyasr529 on the sweet sig!
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Conquest8089 wrote:
There are 6 Elite Quarterbacks in the league today. Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers, Drew Brees, Eli Manning & Ben Roethlisberger.

IMO, the first 4 are elite.

Ben and Eli are just below that.

Then you have Ryan, Flacco, Romo....you could throw guys like RG3 and Wilson up here, but I dont rank players after their rookie year.
GaTechRavens

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim Plunkett accomplished nothing outside of the 2 Super Bowl rings. Literally nothing.

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GaTechRavens wrote:
Jim Plunkett accomplished nothing outside of the 2 Super Bowl rings. Literally nothing.
I think he was rookie of the year in '71, but then ended up having one of the worst sophomore slumps ever and never really recovered until he left New England.

BlaqOptic wrote:
I dont care that that little girl was adorable... I'll punch her in the face!
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tzimisce wrote:
GaTechRavens wrote:
I think he was rookie of the year in '71, but then ended up having one of the worst sophomore slumps ever and never really recovered until he left New England.

Actually, he didnt recover after he left New England either. He sucked in San Fran too. He got to Oakland and only had two seasons which you could classify as even average. Every other season he was extremely mediocre.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL General All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: