Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

My Dream Offseason/ slightly unrealistic

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Giants
View previous topic :: View next topic  
IbleedBLUE24

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:39 pm    Post subject: My Dream Offseason/ slightly unrealistic Reply with quote

FA Resigned:
Carr- Hold that clipboard buddy, itís safe there. Donít worry, no one can hit youíre on the sideline.
WR Cruz- Tendered at first then signs long term contract later. Low number in 2013 while escalating heavily after that since 2014 is supposed to be the year the cap number jumps with all the TV money coming in.
WR Hixon- 1 year/ vet minimum or slightly more. When healthy he can make plays on offense and ST.
TE Bennett- This is a wait and see signing for me cause I donít know if he will be a Giant the rest of his life. Yes, heís tweeted he wants to retire a Giant, but does that mean we get him at a discount cause that is what it will take I believe for him to be back. He can play, proved it this year, but Giants arenít loaded with cash. 4 years/ 20 million plus signing bonus. 3 million this year base salary.
OT Beatty- Youngest and Best O-line from last yearís team. Signed to a 5 year/ 30 million deal with a 3.5 mill number this year plus signing bonus.
MLB Blackburn- Given a 1 year vet minimum see if he can still stick as a ST ace. Serviceable back who can start if needed, not ideal, but better than most options.
OLB Rivers- Given a 1 year/ 2 million dollar deal to see if he can stay healthy. Even if he test the open market I donít think he will get too many takers so JR takes a flyer on him. When healthy he has tremendous athleticism and playmaking ability.
S Phillips- Signed to a contract much like T2ís of last year. JR pays the man, but the big bucks donít come until a roster bonus next year.
S Brown- Tendered at a 2nd round pick. With the depth of the S position in this draft I donít see anyone stealing Brown for a 2nd round pick.
K Tynes- 1 year/ vet minimum. Had a great year up to the last couple weeks, then Tynes realized that he was still Tynes and made me scared everytime we attempted a FG. Eh, could get worse I suppose.

Restructured:

Manning, Bradshaw, Snee, Baas, Canty, Webster, Rolle all restructure their deals to help the cause.

T2 is cut and resigned to a one year prove it deal.

Cut:
OG Boothe- Not really cut, but leaves via FA. Test market and if given a good contract I believe JR will let him walk. Any reasonable deal and I believe JR will match. 3 years/ 10 million would be what he gets to leave.
RT David Diehl- Donít really wants to because he has played his Ö off for the Giants, but much like Seubert and OíHara itís just time.
LB Michael Boley- Helluva a player and one of JRís better FA signing, but he is an aging player at this point. 30 is old for a LB who relies much on his athleticism to play his position, there not all Ray Lewis out there.

FA Signed:
No major FA splashes much like last year, just quiet solid pickups to build up depth and competition.
OT Bryant McKinnie- Primary back up at both OT spots, but could challenge Brewer at RT. 1 year/ 2.5 million.
TE Jared Cook (Tenn)- 1 year/ 1.5 million- replaces what Beckum was supposed to be. Like Bennett last year was he is an athletic player with potential, just unfulfilled potential up to this point.
DT Glenn Dorsey (KC)- 1 year/ 2 million- Another high draft choice that hasnít amounted to anything in KC. A new coach and switch back to 4-3 may make Dorsey think twice about leaving, but a chance to play with a winning team may outweigh the changes coming in KC.
DT SeníDarrick Marks (Tenn)- 1 year/ 1 million- Good at everything, excellent at nothing. Bernardís body replacement and competition for Dorsey and Austin at the DT spot.

*Kiwi switches back to DE full time for the final year of his contract. I think he starts opposite JPP with Tuck and either Tracy, Ojomo, Trattou (donít forget him cause the coaches liked him prior to the injury) or a rookie draft choice rotating in to keep up the fresh legs of the line.

*This one is a shocker, and really I just thought it up and I am not sure how it will work out but what about Rolle Switching back full time to CB. If Phillips is resigned along with Brown then the Giants would have a ton of depth at S with Hill and Sash also serving as back ups. Rolle can obtain the Charles Woodson type rover/ slot CB spot while Amukamara, Webster, Hosley, T2, and rookie/FA CB can fight out the rest of the spots with I think Amukamara and Webster starting the year and Amukamara and Hosley finishing the year.

1. MLB Manti Teío, Notre Dame
The only way I will care about Mantiís imaginary friends/GF/ this whole hoax thing is if Manti has an imaginary bully who beats him up and steals his lunch money. Other than that his play on the field has shown himself to be the top LB in this draft, and one of the better prospects IMO. Right now, the trend is to push Manti down the draft boards, but come April I still think he goes top 12 picks.

2. OC/G/T Barrett Jones, Alabama
This will only happen if he gets red flagged at the combine for his foot injury. Hopefully itís enough to scare teams away until our 2nd round pick. More than likely not going to happen, but players have slipped farther in the draft before. Jones would replace Baas at C allowing him to man either the LG spot for Boothe or the RG for Snee if his hip surgery is more serious than itís believed to be. Has a high chance of being our 1st round pick come April, and right now besides TeíO he is the player I want in round 1.

3. CB Desmond Trufant, Washington
His hand measurments at the Senior Bowl are not ideal, only 8 and something. Means he most likely wont be a interception machine as smaller hands mean more drops. He does however, come from a family of NFLerís as both brothers Marcus(Seattle) and Isiah(Jets) are already in the league. He needs more time to refine his technique, but has the size and athleticism to be a shut down corner in the NFL much like Brother Marcus was his first few years in the league.

4. DE Devin Taylor, South Carolina
His constant demands of double, sometimes triple teams are what allow Clowney all the one on one battles where he can dominate ahahahahaha. I am only kidding, Taylor has excellent length and bulk to be a great DE, but despite having Clowney demanding all the attention Taylor doesnít dominate his one and one match ups. Taylor can learn from JPP, Kiwi, and Tuck who all are big DEís the nuances of the craft to being a pro-bowl NFL DE. Could be a major steal with the right team.

5. RB Marcus Lattimore, South Carolina
Idk if he makes it this far, but the leg injury was ugly. He can go as high as round 3 IMO or go undrafted. Being a RB doesnít help as their value has decreased dramatically over the years. If he is there in the 5th then JR can take the risk, draft him, PS/IR for the year and hope come 2014 he is back fully healthy and ready to rock. He wonít be the workhorse he was supposed to be coming out pre-injury, but a big body back who can pound it between the tackles to compliment Wilson.

6. S Ray Ray Armstrong, Miami
One of the better S prospect athletically speaking, but didnít really put it together at the U. Add in the off the field concerns and youíre looking at a quality round 5 Bengals pick in the making. If he slips past them, lol, then a late round pick wont hurt. He could push Sash and T2 for the final roster spot if he shows up on ST.

7. WR Alec Lemon, Syracuse
Watched a few SU games since I live 30 miles south of Cuse. Lemon isnít the most gifted physically, isnít the fastest player out there, but whenever Nassib was in trouble it was usually Lemon who bailed him out. Seemed to be open a lot, and when given the chance to he always made the plays. May be a career backup who can catch teams by surprise here and there if called upon.

Offense:
QB: Manning, Carr
RB: Bradshaw, Wilson, Brown, Scott
FB: Hynoski
WR: Nicks, Cruz, Randle, Jernigan, Hixon, Lemon
TE: Bennett, Cook, Robinson
OT: Beatty, Brewer, McKinnie, McCants
OG: Snee, Baas, Mosely
OC: Jones, Cordle

Defense:
DE: JPP, Kiwi, Tuck, Taylor
DT: Joseph, Canty, Dorsey, Austin, Marks
OLB: Williams, Paysinger, Rivers, Tracy
ILB: TeíO, Herzlich, Blackburn
CB: Webster, Amukamara, Rolle, Hosely, Trufant, T2 (learns S and tries to regain his pro bowl form at CB)
S: Kenny Phillips, Stevie Brown, Will Hill, Tyler Sash

K: Lawrence Tynes
P: Steve Weatherford

*I am not 100 percent sure if the cap numbers work out or not, just what I would try to do. I usually make my mocks this way. Start off with like an Ideal, my dream offseason, then as the FA happens, Combine happens, and ultimately the draft approaches I do mocks that are a little more realistic in nature. Still way too early to really have an understanding of what is going to happen, everything as this point is pure speculation.
fracdaddy14

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like it. I mean, obviously a little light at OLB, but maybe we sign a cheaper option at OLB rather than Cook. I could see both Cook and Dorsey getting at least $3.5-4m on the open market. No way we can get him for just $1m especially with talk around Tennesse of tagging him. For $1m range, we'd be looking at an old vet like Ben Watson.

Other than those couple things, looks good and overall not that unrealistic.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not unrealistic at all other than maybe all those restructures.

I like the Devin Taylor and Marcus Lattimore pick up, and free agency seems good. Only problem is no kicker.
dkebones

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't think Devin Taylor falls anywhere near the 4th round. Kid dominated in the East/West Shrine and his measurables are bananas. all reports say he's stiff in his bend, but since he would slot in at LDE he would likely be able to overcome going against right tackles.

he's definitely not in that top echelon of ends coming out (Werner, Montgomery, etc), but if he shows well at the combine i think he's likely a late 2nd/early 3rd pick.
Tehzl

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dkebones wrote:
Don't think Devin Taylor falls anywhere near the 4th round. Kid dominated in the East/West Shrine and his measurables are bananas. all reports say he's stiff in his bend, but since he would slot in at LDE he would likely be able to overcome going against right tackles.

he's definitely not in that top echelon of ends coming out (Werner, Montgomery, etc), but if he shows well at the combine i think he's likely a late 2nd/early 3rd pick.

Do remember that he is from a top school, South Carolina, playing vs. small school players.
fracdaddy14

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dkebones wrote:

Shining in the Shrine game doesn't boost a player's stock that much. He is playing against players projected for Day 3, not top prospects. It might cause scouts to re-evaluate his tape, but, in the end, he mostly solidified himself as a 4th Rounder. Picking him in Round 4 seems right on to me.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tehzl wrote:
dkebones wrote:

Do remember that he is from a top school, South Carolina, playing vs. small school players.

totally hear you. that's why i think the combine will send him up the draft boards. there's too much physical ability not to take a chance on him if you think you can coach him up to get more out of him.
GmenSeattle

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have to wait to restructure Baas' contract as they can only be restructured once ever 12 months.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GmenSeattle wrote:
We have to wait to restructure Baas' contract as they can only be restructured once ever 12 months.

Most are done right before the season. From March right before FA to the Monday after the preseason ends, teams can carry 110% of the cap, or about $132m. So, luckily, we don't have to restructure him right away anyway.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fracdaddy14 wrote:
GmenSeattle wrote:

Most are done right before the season. From March right before FA to the Monday after the preseason ends, teams can carry 110% of the cap, or about $132m. So, luckily, we don't have to restructure him right away anyway.

but it likely won't happen unless the FO decides to send a message. cutting him saves us nothing and likely leaves us with a hole to fill regardless. his agent obviously knows this.

grab Barrett Jones, however.....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Giants All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: