Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Lions show interest in Denard Robinson
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
X_Factor_40

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:14 pm    Post subject: Lions show interest in Denard Robinson Reply with quote

Denard Robinson generating interest from Lions at WR, but remains limited by elbow

Quote:
MOBILE, Ala. -- Denard Robinson says he'll be a receiver, or punt returner, or the guy who fills the Gatorade coolers. Whatever it takes to stick in the NFL.

Quote:
The former Wolverines star said Monday after his first workout for the Senior Bowl that he already has spoken with "several" teams, including the Detroit Lions. He didn't disclose any details, other than clubs want to see him at receiver.

"They said they wanna see me catch," Robinson told MLive.com after the practice at Ladd-Peebles Stadium. "That's what they're all telling me, and that's what I want to show people. I know I can catch. I'm a football player. Just got to show it."

Quote:
But he also wore a yellow no-contact jersey, and was held out for more than half the practice.

That's a setback for Robinson, who scouts and analysts have said could climb into the second round if he showed at the Senior Bowl he could catch.

Quote:
Robinson did shag punts Monday, although struggled to field the ball cleanly. He said there was a chance he would participate in contact drills Tuesday -- and that would be a major plus for him.

Quote:
Robinson made a modest cameo at receiver in Michigan's final three games, when he cycled between wideout, tailback and quarterback after injuring his elbow. He made three catches for 31 yards.

Quote:
"He's one of these guys who is quicker than fast," Mayock said. "He can be a good slot receiver. But, he has to show he can separate."

What do you guys think about the Lions taking Denard Robinson to play WR?

Would you be upset if they took him in the 2nd round (or trade up/down to get him in that round)?

Where would you take him (if you want him)?
detfan782004

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

4th if they get that pick

AAL DT- C Reid
AAL MLB- Tulloch
stylish313

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

detfan782004 wrote:
4th if they get that pick
Yep, right there, if at all.

I still think he should be a RB, and not WR. He's the same size as CJ2K, and I'm guessing he'll run a 4.3
Nnivolcm

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the Lions talked to him, is that all? Is doing our due diligence really showing that much interest?

Team Stylish
Thanks to Smack for the sig!
stylish313

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nnivolcm wrote:
So the Lions talked to him, is that all? Is doing our due diligence really showing that much interest?
Don't be in denial, you know Mayhew loves these types of players.
X_Factor_40

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nnivolcm wrote:

You could probably look at it from either side of the coin, but I think it's safe to assume that the Lions have some interest in him. Mayhew drools over players with his ability.
Sllim Pickens

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate drafting these guys who fit a specific role at this point in Schwartz and Mayhews tenure. If they have another year like this last one, either Schwartz will be gone or all the assistants will be which likely means a new system. It feels like when we loaded our team with mid level Tampa 2 guys. So it would be nice to look at a WR who has size and speed, a DE that doesn't need to add 10-20 pounds and some O Lineman who can run block.

I think Denard can be a good game breaker but I'm not sure he is Javhid Best and I don't think we need more small shifty WRs unless we cut Nate and Titus and Broyles can't return. If he is there in the 4th/5th I would be ok with it, too much of a risk given our situation before that. We once again will need our first few picks to make an impact this year to improve since we have no cap.

Adopt-A-Lion - Larry Warford, OG as in Original Gangsta
Lions017

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would look at Robinson with our projected 4th round comp pick or with a 5th rounder. I definitely wouldn't take him in the 2nd or 3rd.

He still has a lot to work on before he can even be trusted to return punts and kicks, from what I've read. I'm fine with taking a WR, and I'm even fine with taking a speedy RB, but I'd rather not try to take one of these project guys, which is what Robinson is.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well if we showed interest, we definitiely arent taking him
Hahaha. This team does not belong here
Mods, take care of this troll or I will.

Hold on mods. I wanna see where this goes.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
RyanFuller003

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't read too much into this. They're going to look at everyone they possibly can while they're at the Senior Bowl.

I agree with stylish inasmuch as I think Robinson fits best at RB. He's similar in size to Chris Johnson, and like CJ2K he's both fast and runs very well through traffic. Those two qualities are a pretty rare combination. Jahvid Best was fast, but he had a hard time running through trash. He'd either bounce it out or get stuffed, it seemed like. Robinson has spent his career at Michigan mostly going up the gut, and obviously he's been successful at it. Things could change when he's not running the read-option, but he did get over 300 yards as a RB in the season's final three games.

That's not to say he couldn't hack it at WR though. By all accounts he's a better athlete than Antwaan Randle El, who had a pretty good career as a slot/return guy.

Speaking of, it looks like he struggled on punt return drills today, which is tough because he needs to be able to fill multiple roles if a team is going to take a chance on a converted college QB.

MrDrew wrote:
I may have to find a taxidermist that will make me a koozie out of a squirrel in a kilt now.

Adopt-a-Lion: Don Muhlbach (for four years running!)
diehardlionfan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If he shows he can catch I wouldn't be upset third round or later. He needs to be able to catch though. Having a player that could play RB, WR and fill return duties would be advantageous.

Sig by El Ramster

Team Stylish
stylish313

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

diehardlionfan wrote:
If he shows he can catch I wouldn't be upset third round or later. He needs to be able to catch though. Having a player that could play RB, WR and fill return duties would be advantageous.
The problem is that if he shows dramatic improvement in those areas, and runs 4.3 at the combine, I highly doubt he makes it out of the 2nd.

Like Fueller said, he could be Best with the natural ability to make plays in-between tackles.
Rockcity

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mayhew will probably draft him in the 2nd and give the same reasoning as he did Broyles.. i don't want him in no rd. he wont see the field enough to justify any kind of pick before the 5th rd. i don't want to build a team this way. There will be udfa that are as fasr or faster that can actually catch the ball.
diehardlionfan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stylish313 wrote:
diehardlionfan wrote:
The problem is that if he shows dramatic improvement in those areas, and runs 4.3 at the combine, I highly doubt he makes it out of the 2nd.

Like Fueller said, he could be Best with the natural ability to make plays in-between tackles.

You're right. If he demonstrates those things he will get over drafted.

Didn't you predict at some point that Mayhew would take him in the second?

It would be very Mayhewesque wouldn't it?

Sig by El Ramster

Team Stylish
detfan782004

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rockcity wrote:
Mayhew will probably draft him in the 2nd and give the same reasoning as he did Broyles.. i don't want him in no rd. he wont see the field enough to justify any kind of pick before the 5th rd. i don't want to build a team this way. There will be udfa that are as fasr or faster that can actually catch the ball.

Um no there won't be anyone faster in UDFA.

His speed is elite

AAL DT- C Reid
AAL MLB- Tulloch

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 1 of 10

Jump to: