Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Salary Cap for Coaches?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SwiftTexan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:55 pm    Post subject: Salary Cap for Coaches? Reply with quote

It occured to me after the Chip Kelly signing that there is no salary cap for coaches.

Why is this? Why can some teams be allowed to pay co-ordinators millions of dollars because they have the bankroll to do so while other teams are forced to make due with inferior talent? Isn't it giving teams in larger markets a competitive advantage over small market teams with less revenue?

I think it's an injustice that there is no salary cap for coaches. They can be traded (Jon Gruden) and their talent level certainly influences the product on the field. Why is it that the NFL strictly enforces how much teams can spend on the on-the-field talent while ignoring the expenditures of off-field talent?
http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=550031
Sciz

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trading coaches was banned in 2003.

And there's not a salary cap because any coach that isn't the head coach (or assistant HC) is free to sign anywhere else as a head coach. That's like if any team could sign another team's backup as long as he'd be a starter for the new team. This happens to all good coaching staffs, so there's never really been any worry about teams stockpiling all of the good coaches and paying them a ton.
SwiftTexan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sciz wrote:
Trading coaches was banned in 2003.

And there's not a salary cap because any coach that isn't the head coach (or assistant HC) is free to sign anywhere else as a head coach. That's like if any team could sign another team's backup as long as he'd be a starter for the new team. This happens to all good coaching staffs, so there's never really been any worry about teams stockpiling all of the good coaches and paying them a ton.

Doesn't answer the question as to why you can't ban teams from throwing the bank at a top flight coach in search of an unfair advantage. The Head Coaching search is nothing more than free agency for men on the sidelines. Why not regulate it? It's not an exact science that the highest paid coaches are the most successful just like free agency doesn't always pan out but it seems odd that the NFL has not imposed some sort of salary cap on the coaching ranks. Why do you think some guys are accepting positional coaching jobs instead of potential co-ordinator jobs? MONEY! It just doesn't seem fair than Dan Snyder and Jerry Jones can lure coaches with money when the Buffalo Bills and Cleveland Browns of the world are left with little leverage in negotiations.

I didn't know about the trading thing - I knew it was an outdated and rare occurance though. Thanks.
http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=550031
alfalcone

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Salary Cap for Coaches? Reply with quote

SwiftTexan wrote:
It occured to me after the Chip Kelly signing that there is no salary cap for coaches.

Why is this? Why can some teams be allowed to pay co-ordinators millions of dollars because they have the bankroll to do so while other teams are forced to make due with inferior talent? Isn't it giving teams in larger markets a competitive advantage over small market teams with less revenue?

I think it's an injustice that there is no salary cap for coaches. They can be traded (Jon Gruden) and their talent level certainly influences the product on the field. Why is it that the NFL strictly enforces how much teams can spend on the on-the-field talent while ignoring the expenditures of off-field talent?

Without a union and a collective bargaining agreement a salary cab for coaches would be illegal.
carnageehw

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Salary Cap for Coaches? Reply with quote

SwiftTexan wrote:

Why is this? Why can some teams be allowed to pay co-ordinators millions of dollars because they have the bankroll to do so while other teams are forced to make due with inferior talent?
You could always offer them more in the way of personnel choices or front office control.

If a team is willing to pay way more than you AND offer up total control to a coach....well, that's just 'Merica my friend.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cant punish teams for making more money and paying their coaches well.

Dallas and Washington dont win often but their top 3 i revenues every year. Its the result of their marketing and PR team and if they want to pay their coaches well they should be able to.

Afterall football is a business and life isnt fair.
daineraider

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mozwanted wrote:
cant punish teams for making more money and paying their coaches well.

Dallas and Washington dont win often but their top 3 i revenues every year. Its the result of their marketing and PR team and if they want to pay their coaches well they should be able to.

Afterall football is a business and life isnt fair.

Agreed, be a better franchise and you make more money and can pay more money. Obviously some teams have a much bigger advantage, but at least they are even when it comes to players. That is why I hate pro baseball and can only stomach the NBA. It isn't even at any level of the franchise.

Sigged by Jamison
stallyns

Global Moderator
FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teams don't even have a limit to how may coaches you can hire (ie roster limits) let alone how much you can pay all of them. Seems like an overreaction to me.
daineraider

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will also add that there is usually more pressure on those coaches getting paid more and in bigger markets. So a lot more likelihood they would be fire. They will have a lot shorter leash than others. At least in most cases and teams not named the raiders the last 40 years.

Sigged by Jamison
TheSphinx

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Head Coaches ' salaries are guaranteed as well...must be nice.

-TS
skatebeanz

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheSphinx wrote:

-TS
Not really. While Tom brady making $20M is done now BB is watching film and scouting.

Andrew Brandt Tweeted the other day that new players used to ask what he would do on his long time off and he told them he works most year round.

Best paid coach gets $8.5M and works year round. Will get fired if his team fails.

Best player (example of CJ) Gets $16.5M gets 5 months off and lasts longer than his coach.

Sig bet
WhackyPlague

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Head coaches are often front office personnel, and making any limits on their salaries would be problematic. There's no limit on GM or President salaries, either -- not that it's ever reported what they are paid.
Malik

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

skatebeanz wrote:
TheSphinx wrote:

-TS
Not really. While Tom brady making $20M is done now BB is watching film and scouting.

Andrew Brandt Tweeted the other day that new players used to ask what he would do on his long time off and he told them he works most year round.

Best paid coach gets $8.5M and works year round. Will get fired if his team fails.

Best player (example of CJ) Gets $16.5M gets 5 months off and lasts longer than his coach.

most people's jobs are year round...
skatebeanz

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Malik wrote:
skatebeanz wrote:
TheSphinx wrote:

-TS

most people's jobs are year round...
I know. And most people's jobs don't have a cap limit.

I'm just giving reasons why it shouldn't be capped.

Sig bet
skatebeanz

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: Salary Cap for Coaches? Reply with quote

alfalcone wrote:
SwiftTexan wrote:

Without a union and a collective bargaining agreement a salary cab for coaches would be illegal.
IIRC most coaches are in a union. BB isn't IIRC tho. Either way, having a cap does nothing. The players cap is because the players want ~50 of the profit so they are getting it. Do you guys really want a coaching floor for salaries too?

Then the NCAA will have all the best coaches.

Sig bet

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL General All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: