Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Will we have another streak of Super Bowl blowouts?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Uncle Buck


Joined: 10 Apr 2007
Posts: 15113
Location: Viking Country
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wolverine_Joe wrote:
STLRamsFan99 wrote:
Wolverine_Joe wrote:
C$! wrote:
Wolverine_Joe wrote:
one of the reason why Montana's 4 out of 4SB wins isn't any better than brady's winning 3 out of 5SB. yes montana had couple of close wins, but 2 of them were blowouts. honestly a total mismatch.

it's very rare for the SB to be not competitive. mismatches in the SB will happen very rarely, if not ever.

Really? I would say getting out of the NFC at that time was WAY harder than getting out the the AFC from 2001-2006. Don't hold it against a team that can execute at a high level in the biggest game. You play who's in front of you.
Don't try and cheapen Montana's Super Bowls, it looks pathetic.




not really. talent wise they were significantly better than other top nfc teams. when they blew out the dolphins they cake walked against giants and bears weeks before. 89? lol even worse. i mean that was like alabama playing ND. it was so obviously mismatched. elways broncos? that team had no business in the SB playing against the niners. it's like pats playing tebow's broncos in the SB.

bottom line, Joe Mo had 2 very easy SB runs. hell, 84 and 89 niners are considered top 5 greatest team ever for godsake. stuff like that doesn't happen in today's NFL. why? because you can't even keep half of those guys in today's NFL.


And the Patriots defense wasn't great the last time Brady won a Superbowl?

Montana was clutch when he needed to be.

Stop trying to discredit his wins just cause you think Brady is better.


brady was clutch when he needed to be in 3 SBs. stop it.

niners beat the broncos 55-10. that's not clutch. that's like Bama playing against some medicore big ten team.

Marino's highpowered offense in 84? got blanked in the 2nd half.


It all depends on how you look at it. Maybe you're right and Montana blew out a weak team. Then again, maybe you're wrong and the Broncos were very, very good, yet Montana and the Niners were just that much better. The argument of a lopsided score doesn't really prove much IMO.

As someone old enough to have seen the 49ers play back then, I can say that they were an incredible team, and Montana was as good as any of them.
_________________


Aout wrote:
What is wrong with all these Packer fans insulting and raging all the time?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
bmorecareful


Joined: 09 Feb 2007
Posts: 573
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wackywabbit wrote:
The largest margin of victory in the entire playoffs so far has been 15 points. I wouldn't consider a 2 possession game a real blowout. So, it seems unlikely.


Crazy part about it is we did it twice. Lets go Ravens.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bodhi


Joined: 17 Oct 2011
Posts: 352
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wolverine_Joe wrote:
bottom line, Joe Mo had 2 very easy SB runs. hell, 84 and 89 niners are considered top 5 greatest team ever for godsake. stuff like that doesn't happen in today's NFL. why? because you can't even keep half of those guys in today's NFL.


This can't be serious. You're holding the 1989 49ers against Montana? The reason why they're considered one of the greatest teams ever is because Montana had an average passer rating of 146.4 in the playoffs. There's never been a playoff run like that and I doubt that there ever will be.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/MontJo01/gamelog/1989/
_________________
49ers
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
neezy007


Joined: 21 May 2008
Posts: 9194
Location: El Paso
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bmorecareful wrote:
wackywabbit wrote:
The largest margin of victory in the entire playoffs so far has been 15 points. I wouldn't consider a 2 possession game a real blowout. So, it seems unlikely.


Crazy part about it is we did it twice. Lets go Ravens.


The 9ers would have had a 21 point victory too of it wouldn't have been for those meddling refs.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
C$!


Joined: 11 Dec 2007
Posts: 1586
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wolverine_Joe wrote:
C$! wrote:
Wolverine_Joe wrote:
one of the reason why Montana's 4 out of 4SB wins isn't any better than brady's winning 3 out of 5SB. yes montana had couple of close wins, but 2 of them were blowouts. honestly a total mismatch.

it's very rare for the SB to be not competitive. mismatches in the SB will happen very rarely, if not ever.

Really? I would say getting out of the NFC at that time was WAY harder than getting out the the AFC from 2001-2006. Don't hold it against a team that can execute at a high level in the biggest game. You play who's in front of you.
Don't try and cheapen Montana's Super Bowls, it looks pathetic.




not really. talent wise they were significantly better than other top nfc teams. when they blew out the dolphins they cake walked against giants and bears weeks before. 89? lol even worse. i mean that was like alabama playing ND. it was so obviously mismatched. elways broncos? that team had no business in the SB playing against the niners. it's like pats playing tebow's broncos in the SB.

bottom line, Joe Mo had 2 very easy SB runs. hell, 84 and 89 niners are considered top 5 greatest team ever for godsake. stuff like that doesn't happen in today's NFL. why? because you can't even keep half of those guys in today's NFL.

I will use your logic then, Brady's loss in Super Bowl XLII should count for more because they were a dominant team that could not win the big game. They could not beat an inferior team when it matter most. So even by your logic 84 and 89 are even MORE impressive because they took care of business in a very impressive way.
Just deal with the fact that Brady has less wins and more losses in the Super Bowl than Montana and the 49ers.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Wolverine_Joe


Joined: 23 Oct 2007
Posts: 2999
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bodhi wrote:
Wolverine_Joe wrote:
bottom line, Joe Mo had 2 very easy SB runs. hell, 84 and 89 niners are considered top 5 greatest team ever for godsake. stuff like that doesn't happen in today's NFL. why? because you can't even keep half of those guys in today's NFL.


This can't be serious. You're holding the 1989 49ers against Montana? The reason why they're considered one of the greatest teams ever is because Montana had an average passer rating of 146.4 in the playoffs. There's never been a playoff run like that and I doubt that there ever will be.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/MontJo01/gamelog/1989/



usually 146.4 QB rating happens when you are team is Bama and the other team is ND. we've seen this from peyton, brady and many other elite QBs.

if the 84 niners played their equal(85 bears? 90's boys? steel curtain?) putting up that kinda number will be extremely hard. QB ratings go down against evenly matched teams. we've seen this time after time.

no teams except other dynasties can play with those niners.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Ronnie's Pinky


Joined: 17 Sep 2012
Posts: 295
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wolverine_Joe wrote:
usually 146.4 QB rating happens when you are team is Bama and the other team is ND. we've seen this from peyton, brady and many other elite QBs.

if the 84 niners played their equal(85 bears? 90's boys? steel curtain?) putting up that kinda number will be extremely hard. QB ratings go down against evenly matched teams. we've seen this time after time.

no teams except other dynasties can play with those niners.


Ummm...yeah, and the NFC was filled with dynasty teams at that time, which Joe routinely beat, including the 84' Bears, which had the same defense as the 85' model (stupid McMahon was the big difference between those two Chicago teams...the Raiders had scrambled his guts in 1984 and the Bears went into the playoffs with their backup that year and scored 0 points in the NFC title game...lol). Actually, Joe's performance against the 88' Bears in freezing soldier field was more impressive.

You act as if the guy never had to face a good defense. He faced some seriously ferocious ones.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Wolverine_Joe


Joined: 23 Oct 2007
Posts: 2999
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ronnie's Pinky wrote:
Wolverine_Joe wrote:
usually 146.4 QB rating happens when you are team is Bama and the other team is ND. we've seen this from peyton, brady and many other elite QBs.

if the 84 niners played their equal(85 bears? 90's boys? steel curtain?) putting up that kinda number will be extremely hard. QB ratings go down against evenly matched teams. we've seen this time after time.

no teams except other dynasties can play with those niners.


Ummm...yeah, and the NFC was filled with dynasty teams at that time, which Joe routinely beat, including the 84' Bears, which had the same defense as the 85' model (stupid McMahon was the big difference between those two Chicago teams...the Raiders had scrambled his guts in 1984 and the Bears went into the playoffs with their backup that year and scored 0 points in the NFC title game...lol). Actually, Joe's performance against the 88' Bears in freezing soldier field was more impressive.

You act as if the guy never had to face a good defense. He faced some seriously ferocious ones.



i said 85 bears, not 84. 85 bears were special. 84 wasn't. 85 bears destroyed the giants who destroyed the niners.

and niners spanked 84 bears 23-0. 88 niners beat the bears 28-3. mcmahon? he wouldn't even be mark sanchez if he played today. mcmahon makes jay cutler prime brett favre. obviously bears were offensively challenged. they were a dysfunctional team almost every year except that 1 magical year. when ditka got fired i remember how happy people were here in chicago. they miss him now, but they sure didn't miss him then. and many blamed ditka for only winning 1 SB.

anyway, that's the kinda team montana played for. wasn't even fair how good they were. the field was not even.


bottom line, it's not joe montana who won 4SBs. it was the niners. just like how pats won 3SBs, not brady. it's a team game. QB is a major part of it. it's part of their accomplishment. but IMO it doesn't define who they are. peyton manning with his playoff failure is still my top 3 QB of all time. when i evaluate QBs, i don't just look at the big moments. Eli had much better moments than peyton in half the career. but peyton is the better QB by far. it's not even close. Eli with 4SBs is still not better than peyton with 1SB IMO. there are people who say they will take Eli in a big game over peyton. what a load of crap. give me peyton over eli anytime anyday.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
RedskinsFan92


Joined: 10 Jan 2013
Posts: 1
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually believe that this year's Super Bowl will be the first one to ever go to overtime.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Spartan300


Joined: 08 Jan 2012
Posts: 639
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be shocked if this Super Bowl was a blow out for either team.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SnA ExclusiVe


Joined: 01 Jun 2011
Posts: 25221
Location: Spokane, WA
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope this Superbowl is a blowout. That would mean Ravens have 2 Superbowl victories, and 2 Superbowl blowouts Cool Cool
_________________


Steve Smith Sr. on Panthers Secondary wrote:
"I'm 35 years old and I ran around those boys like they was schoolyard kids."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Malik


Joined: 18 Dec 2011
Posts: 4413
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doing what you need to do to dominate a team for an entire game = not clutch

Having 2 good drives = clutch

This is why clutch is worthless.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
STLRamsFan99


Joined: 17 Aug 2012
Posts: 1349
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wolverine_Joe wrote:
Ronnie's Pinky wrote:
Wolverine_Joe wrote:
usually 146.4 QB rating happens when you are team is Bama and the other team is ND. we've seen this from peyton, brady and many other elite QBs.

if the 84 niners played their equal(85 bears? 90's boys? steel curtain?) putting up that kinda number will be extremely hard. QB ratings go down against evenly matched teams. we've seen this time after time.

no teams except other dynasties can play with those niners.


Ummm...yeah, and the NFC was filled with dynasty teams at that time, which Joe routinely beat, including the 84' Bears, which had the same defense as the 85' model (stupid McMahon was the big difference between those two Chicago teams...the Raiders had scrambled his guts in 1984 and the Bears went into the playoffs with their backup that year and scored 0 points in the NFC title game...lol). Actually, Joe's performance against the 88' Bears in freezing soldier field was more impressive.

You act as if the guy never had to face a good defense. He faced some seriously ferocious ones.



i said 85 bears, not 84. 85 bears were special. 84 wasn't. 85 bears destroyed the giants who destroyed the niners.

and niners spanked 84 bears 23-0. 88 niners beat the bears 28-3. mcmahon? he wouldn't even be mark sanchez if he played today. mcmahon makes jay cutler prime brett favre. obviously bears were offensively challenged. they were a dysfunctional team almost every year except that 1 magical year. when ditka got fired i remember how happy people were here in chicago. they miss him now, but they sure didn't miss him then. and many blamed ditka for only winning 1 SB.

anyway, that's the kinda team montana played for. wasn't even fair how good they were. the field was not even.


bottom line, it's not joe montana who won 4SBs. it was the niners. just like how pats won 3SBs, not brady. it's a team game. QB is a major part of it. it's part of their accomplishment. but IMO it doesn't define who they are. peyton manning with his playoff failure is still my top 3 QB of all time. when i evaluate QBs, i don't just look at the big moments. Eli had much better moments than peyton in half the career. but peyton is the better QB by far. it's not even close. Eli with 4SBs is still not better than peyton with 1SB IMO. there are people who say they will take Eli in a big game over peyton. what a load of crap. give me peyton over eli anytime anyday.


You are contradicting yourself now, before you said that teams aren't dismantled through free agency like now when you were trying to cheapen Montana's Superbowl victories. It was the same Bears in 84 as in 85.

With that sentiment in my opinion, Brady with 4 Superbowls is still not better than Montana.

Wolverine_Joe wrote:

bottom line, Joe Mo had 2 very easy SB runs. hell, 84 and 89 niners are considered top 5 greatest team ever for godsake. stuff like that doesn't happen in today's NFL. why? because you can't even keep half of those guys in today's NFL.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Wolverine_Joe


Joined: 23 Oct 2007
Posts: 2999
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

STLRamsFan99 wrote:
Wolverine_Joe wrote:
Ronnie's Pinky wrote:
Wolverine_Joe wrote:
usually 146.4 QB rating happens when you are team is Bama and the other team is ND. we've seen this from peyton, brady and many other elite QBs.

if the 84 niners played their equal(85 bears? 90's boys? steel curtain?) putting up that kinda number will be extremely hard. QB ratings go down against evenly matched teams. we've seen this time after time.

no teams except other dynasties can play with those niners.


Ummm...yeah, and the NFC was filled with dynasty teams at that time, which Joe routinely beat, including the 84' Bears, which had the same defense as the 85' model (stupid McMahon was the big difference between those two Chicago teams...the Raiders had scrambled his guts in 1984 and the Bears went into the playoffs with their backup that year and scored 0 points in the NFC title game...lol). Actually, Joe's performance against the 88' Bears in freezing soldier field was more impressive.

You act as if the guy never had to face a good defense. He faced some seriously ferocious ones.



i said 85 bears, not 84. 85 bears were special. 84 wasn't. 85 bears destroyed the giants who destroyed the niners.

and niners spanked 84 bears 23-0. 88 niners beat the bears 28-3. mcmahon? he wouldn't even be mark sanchez if he played today. mcmahon makes jay cutler prime brett favre. obviously bears were offensively challenged. they were a dysfunctional team almost every year except that 1 magical year. when ditka got fired i remember how happy people were here in chicago. they miss him now, but they sure didn't miss him then. and many blamed ditka for only winning 1 SB.

anyway, that's the kinda team montana played for. wasn't even fair how good they were. the field was not even.


bottom line, it's not joe montana who won 4SBs. it was the niners. just like how pats won 3SBs, not brady. it's a team game. QB is a major part of it. it's part of their accomplishment. but IMO it doesn't define who they are. peyton manning with his playoff failure is still my top 3 QB of all time. when i evaluate QBs, i don't just look at the big moments. Eli had much better moments than peyton in half the career. but peyton is the better QB by far. it's not even close. Eli with 4SBs is still not better than peyton with 1SB IMO. there are people who say they will take Eli in a big game over peyton. what a load of crap. give me peyton over eli anytime anyday.


You are contradicting yourself now, before you said that teams aren't dismantled through free agency like now when you were trying to cheapen Montana's Superbowl victories. It was the same Bears in 84 as in 85.

With that sentiment in my opinion, Brady with 4 Superbowls is still not better than Montana.

Wolverine_Joe wrote:

bottom line, Joe Mo had 2 very easy SB runs. hell, 84 and 89 niners are considered top 5 greatest team ever for godsake. stuff like that doesn't happen in today's NFL. why? because you can't even keep half of those guys in today's NFL.


IMO, brady surpassed Montana long time ago. All brady needed was to prove he can put up monster numbers, and he did just that in 2007. give him the weapon brady will produce. before 07, brady's perception was that he only wins, but can't produce elite numbers. he answered that and took the league by storm when he had his jerry rice.

again, 84 bears and 85 bears weren't same. you have different results every year in a same team. that 85 bears was just a magical ride. that defense really should've won more than 1 SB.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
STLRamsFan99


Joined: 17 Aug 2012
Posts: 1349
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wolverine_Joe wrote:


IMO, brady surpassed Montana long time ago. All brady needed was to prove he can put up monster numbers, and he did just that in 2007. give him the weapon brady will produce. before 07, brady's perception was that he only wins, but can't produce elite numbers. he answered that and took the league by storm when he had his jerry rice.

again, 84 bears and 85 bears weren't same. you have different results every year in a same team. that 85 bears was just a magical ride. that defense really should've won more than 1 SB.


49ers dismantled the Bears in the playoffs in 84. The Bears were a good team in 84, are you trying to say they weren't? They were one game away from the Superbowl and the NFC was stacked back then. You hold it against Montana because the 49ers were very good at drafting back then?

In 07, the Patriots lost the Superbowl so I don't know why they would even draw comparison the 84 49ers. Why bring 07 Patriots up?

In example in 2011, LSU could have been arguably the one the best college teams ever had they won the most important game they played that year but they didn't, so they aren't the best.

Cause Brady put gaudy numbers in a pass happy league so he is better than Montana? Whether or not you look at big moments in a player's career, it is ultimately what defines them and not how well you can beat up on teams in the regular season. Guys like Jackie Smith will always be remembered for what they didn't do in the playoffs. Brady had one of the best offenses the league has seen, and couldn't lead his team to a victory in 07 in the most important game that year.

Brady may have produced stats since 2007 but not Superbowl rings. The fact is Brady couldn't lead his teams to victory in his last 2 Superbowls and Montana was 4 for 4.

Rice wasn't drafted until 1985, it isn't like Montana played with him his entire career.


Last edited by STLRamsFan99 on Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:24 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL General All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group