Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Matt Flynn expected to be cut????
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MARIO MANGELINI

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:22 am    Post subject: Matt Flynn expected to be cut???? Reply with quote

https://twitter.com/JasonColeYahoo/status/293882142142918656

Quote:
While Seattle has told QB Matt Flynn they are willing to trade him, finding trade partner is problematic because several expect he'll be cut

I didn't even know that the Hawks were willing to trade him, so this is news to me. Anyways, is it the Chiefs/Jaguars/(insert QB needy team) lucky day? Matt Flynn for picks is not something I'd advocate, but Matt Flynn for no picks? You could make an argument for most teams in the league taking that

And BTW, as a Hawks fan, our GM John Schneider (or maybe it was all Izdik, the new Jets GM and our previous salary cap guy) likes to keep the salary cap pretty free and untied. His mantra is to save as much money as you can to resign all your own players when you want to, and develop through the draft, only resorting to FA after a few days have passed and some guys (namely Matt Flynn, Zach Miller, Jason Jones, Alan Branch, ect.) have been passed up, as the market for them hasn't developed as expected. So, you guys might think this move is insane, as he is a good backup, but I could see it happening, especially if they get a backup QB they like in the draft.

Last edited by MARIO MANGELINI on Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:25 am; edited 1 time in total
green24

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. I hope the Jets can scoop him up.
STLRamsFan99

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think they can get much for him in a trade at this point. He lost the starting job to a rookie QB in preseason.
MARIO MANGELINI

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

STLRamsFan99 wrote:
I don't think they can get much for him in a trade at this point. He lost the starting job to a rookie QB in preseason.

He was a pretty good rookie, to be fair though. It's not like he lost the job to Brandon Weeden.

EDIT: I actually kinda like Brandon Weeden, so I'm gonna rephrase this answer to Blaine Gabbert. I like it better already.

It should probably be rephrased too "He managed to hold on to the job against Russell Wilson for 3 WHOLE preseason weeks".... Laughing
STLRamsFan99

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MARIO MANGELINI wrote:
STLRamsFan99 wrote:

He was a pretty good rookie, to be fair though. It's not like he lost the job to Brandon Weeden.

EDIT: I actually kinda like Brandon Weeden, so I'm gonna rephrase this answer to Blaine Gabbert. I like it better already.

It should probably be rephrased too "He managed to hold on to the job against Russell Wilson for 3 WHOLE preseason weeks".... Laughing

Regardless of who it was he had his shot on a team needing a QB at that point and couldn't secure the job. I don't think he has much trade value anymore.
MARIO MANGELINI

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

STLRamsFan99 wrote:
MARIO MANGELINI wrote:
STLRamsFan99 wrote:

Regardless of who it was he had his shot on a team needing a QB at that point and couldn't secure the job. I don't think he has much trade value anymore.

Yeah.... And when you really put it in perspective, then you realize it's a little worse than you might think, because Russell REALLY sucked the first 4 weeks. It was bad. A lot of people were calling for Flynn until the Pats game.

Anyways.... Tarvaris Jackson was successfully traded for a conditional 7th, so maybe Matt Flynn is? His deal is a little sizeable for a backup though.
simonwayne

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kansas City, sign this man to compete with whoever we draft. And if he isn't that good then have him compete with Ricky Stanzi. John Dorsey, our new GM was with the Pack when they drafted him so Kansas City might be a strong possibility.
BlueOne

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A dude tweeting this... it's definitely gonna happen guys! Rolling Eyes
MARIO MANGELINI

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BlueOne wrote:
A dude tweeting this... it's definitely gonna happen guys! Rolling Eyes

I put the question mark in for that reason.

Still, I could see it happen. I am a Seahawk fan, just like I think you are (right?), and I know JS would love to get some more cap room to resign some players. Our secondary will be expensive to keep, especially Earl and Sherman. That's not even mentioning Okung and such on the offense.

I want the cap room, personally. Pays off in the longer run, and I am really confident of our FO's drafting abilities and Russell Wilsons ability to not get hurt. At least for this season until we develop a nice backup.
BlueOne

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would hate cutting Flynn. Frankly I would hate trading him for less than ridiculous value. Russell gets paid nearly nothing so as = a 1-2 punch we are still well below league average spending less than 6 million next year on our top two quarterbacks.

More importantly, Russell Wilson runs 6-7 times a game and you never know if he will get hurt. Flynn was brought in to have a good chance of starting and hasn't done anything to disappoint since. (Wilson is just unbelievable). The team will look like idiots if Wilson gets hurt and they cut Flynn and deservedly so imo.

Moreover, we have no other backup qb option so if we cut Flynn it's not like it is free, we pay his 2 million guaranteed and either spend a draft pick or pay someone else up in FA at 1-3 million. Meaning we gain almost nothing by cutting him and probably end up with a worse backup.
Sacks98

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This sounds like a rumor "several expect he will be cut" why would we do that when we have Russell Wilson so cheap?

We can afford to keep Matt Flynn at his contract.
DontTazeMeBro

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't make any sense to have a backup QB make over $5 million a year. If you look at places you can free up cap space, this is about as easy as it is ever going to get.

SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
1/10. Not a fan[of C.J. Mosley]. Just another future failed Alabama product.
JJ89

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DontTazeMeBro wrote:
Doesn't make any sense to have a backup QB make over $5 million a year. If you look at places you can free up cap space, this is about as easy as it is ever going to get.

We really don't need the cap space yet.

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DontTazeMeBro wrote:
Doesn't make any sense to have a backup QB make over $5 million a year.

but if you look at what the team is paying their top two QB's collectively, it's not that much. just backwards.

Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?
nicfre2011

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

simonwayne wrote:
Kansas City, sign this man to compete with whoever we draft. And if he isn't that good then have him compete with Ricky Stanzi. John Dorsey, our new GM was with the Pack when they drafted him so Kansas City might be a strong possibility.

I agree. I would not be opposed to adding Matt Flynn to compete with a rookie IF Flynn is cut. I wouldn't want to trade picks AND take on his current contract.

Thanks to ryknowssd for the sig!

Trent Baalke for 2013 NFL executive of the year.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL General All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: