Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Matt Flynn expected to be cut????
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sp6488

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nicfre2011 wrote:
simonwayne wrote:
Kansas City, sign this man to compete with whoever we draft. And if he isn't that good then have him compete with Ricky Stanzi. John Dorsey, our new GM was with the Pack when they drafted him so Kansas City might be a strong possibility.

I agree. I would not be opposed to adding Matt Flynn to compete with a rookie IF Flynn is cut. I wouldn't want to trade picks AND take on his current contract.

Wouldn't that work out better for the team taking him on though? SEA would get hit with the cap acceleration from his SB and the acquiring team would only have the base amounts, right? With no dead money if they ever want to cut him.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sacks98 wrote:
This sounds like a rumor "several expect he will be cut" why would we do that when we have Russell Wilson so cheap?

We can afford to keep Matt Flynn at his contract.

this is very true. whats your cap space looking like. you guys are pretty solid all around, i could see grabbing a fa wr for russ though.
only big move i could see you guys doing. or possibly a guy on either side of the line

new sig... sorry alex
nicfre2011

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sp6488 wrote:
nicfre2011 wrote:
simonwayne wrote:
Kansas City, sign this man to compete with whoever we draft. And if he isn't that good then have him compete with Ricky Stanzi. John Dorsey, our new GM was with the Pack when they drafted him so Kansas City might be a strong possibility.

I agree. I would not be opposed to adding Matt Flynn to compete with a rookie IF Flynn is cut. I wouldn't want to trade picks AND take on his current contract.

Wouldn't that work out better for the team taking him on though? SEA would get hit with the cap acceleration from his SB and the acquiring team would only have the base amounts, right? With no dead money if they ever want to cut him.

I agree. The point I was making was his current base salaries while not outrageous are definitely a decent amount for another team to take on. It all depends on how a prospective trade partner views Flynn - if they view him as a legitimate starter they very well could value Flynn higher than his Seattle contract. If they view him as solid competition but definitely less than a sure thing, they could prefer to try and negotiate with him once he hits the market (assumption).

I believe you are correct in that the signing bonus that has been amortized while with the Seahawks would not transfer to the new team per the 2011 CBA, Article 13, Section 6.4.ii.3

Thanks to ryknowssd for the sig!

Trent Baalke for 2013 NFL executive of the year.
nicfre2011

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way, I am not saying the Seahawks can or cannot keep Flynn. Just trying to figure out the cost/benefit of each scenario.

Thanks to ryknowssd for the sig!

Trent Baalke for 2013 NFL executive of the year.
sp6488

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nicfre2011 wrote:
sp6488 wrote:
nicfre2011 wrote:
simonwayne wrote:

I agree. The point I was making was his current base salaries while not outrageous are definitely a decent amount for another team to take on. It all depends on how a prospective trade partner views Flynn - if they view him as a legitimate starter they very well could value Flynn higher than his Seattle contract. If they view him as solid competition but definitely less than a sure thing, they could prefer to try and negotiate with him once he hits the market (assumption).

I believe you are correct in that the signing bonus that has been amortized while with the Seahawks would not transfer to the new team per the 2011 CBA, Article 13, Section 6.4.ii.3

I am 100% in agreement with the points you are making here.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:54 pm    Post subject: in like flynn Reply with quote

I doubt we release him, or trade him for less then a 3rd. We are going to be sitting around 19 mil in cap space and see no reason to release one of the top back ups in the league..
EccentricFan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: in like flynn Reply with quote

SHONUFF wrote:
I doubt we release him, or trade him for less then a 3rd. We are going to be sitting around 19 mil in cap space and see no reason to release one of the top back ups in the league..

I don't think a third is too high for his talent, but would be hard to stomach given there's only two years left on his contract. I'd be hesitant to give up that more for a QB who, even if he does succeed, might be gone in a couple of years.
Sacks98

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

49ers Finest wrote:
Sacks98 wrote:
This sounds like a rumor "several expect he will be cut" why would we do that when we have Russell Wilson so cheap?

We can afford to keep Matt Flynn at his contract.

this is very true. whats your cap space looking like. you guys are pretty solid all around, i could see grabbing a fa wr for russ though.
only big move i could see you guys doing. or possibly a guy on either side of the line

We have around 18M in cap space we would be at about 12M if we kept Flynn.
Wolverine_Joe

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no shame in losing to the best rookie QB who out performed #1 pick. if i were flynn, i would go to jags. 2 young weapons, shaky QB situation, and not much pressure to succeed right away.
QB Connoisseur

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nicfre2011 wrote:
simonwayne wrote:

Matt Flynn with Andy Reid actually sounds like a pretty good idea to me.
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt Flynn will be starting somewhere next year and I do agree, Flynn would be a perfect fit with the Chiefs and Andy Reid. He can be a stop gap so the Chiefs dont have to reach on Geno Smith with the first pick.
SaveourSonics

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A team would be lucky to trade for him as I still see him as a franchise QB, but I would be really upset if we cut him. Hot air rumor it would appear.
Ketchup

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
Matt Flynn will be starting somewhere next year and I do agree, Flynn would be a perfect fit with the Chiefs and Andy Reid. He can be a stop gap so the Chiefs dont have to reach on Geno Smith with the first pick.
Flynn in an Andy Reid 'WCO' would be no stop gap. He would excel in that role and be a solid, solid starter.

Kempes on the custom sig!
skrILL

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vike daddy wrote:
DontTazeMeBro wrote:
Doesn't make any sense to have a backup QB make over $5 million a year.

but if you look at what the team is paying their top two QB's collectively, it's not that much. just backwards.

The problem is Wilson is gonna want a new contract real soon. Although it would only be for one year, it wouldn't be worth it for the Seahawks to be paying two QB's starter money.

N E W Y O R K J E T S
GaTechRavens

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

skrILL wrote:
vike daddy wrote:
DontTazeMeBro wrote:
Doesn't make any sense to have a backup QB make over $5 million a year.

but if you look at what the team is paying their top two QB's collectively, it's not that much. just backwards.

The problem is Wilson is gonna want a new contract real soon. Although it would only be for one year, it wouldn't be worth it for the Seahawks to be paying two QB's starter money.

And again, you know what's better than one expensive quarterback? No expensive quarterbacks.

The fact that Wilson is on the cheap doesn't make it smarter to hold on to Flynn.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL General All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: