Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Offseason...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Carolina Panthers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jofos

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:17 am    Post subject: Offseason... Reply with quote

So where to begin? I would think figuring out the salary cap would be the first place. After that: who do you keep? who do you let go? who do you draft? There has to be improvement on both sides of the ball but what is the biggest need? If Cam is the franchise, what pieces do the Panthers need to get into place to make him successful?
boondock

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First we figure out the salary cap as that will probably dictate in what ways we draft. For instance, if we cut Gamble we might look at CB earlier than we imagined in the draft or if we cut Gross, we might look to make a move to get an OT via draft.

Cuts will dictate our draft, which will dictate what we do in free agency. Always draft well then supplement via free agency.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cutting gross and gamble makes no sense to me. If we cut those two players those immediately become our biggest holes.

then we likely got OT 1st and CB 2nd.
this leaves us where? right back to where we are with holes at DT, S, WR (and yes we still need OL help).

Gamble has NO HELP. He hasnt had a consistant CB at his side, and he basically has to play lockdown coverage and if he does get burned (which it does happen in the NFL with the WR talent) his safeties are trash and never provide help. Cornerbacks do get credit from their safeties. Outside Ed Reed, you rarely here about the S position. Keeping gamble is key, and letting Captain walk. I believe in Norman too.

Also Gross yes he makes a good amount of money, but dont all LT? He is getting older, but hes not old. He is only 32, he still has 4+ good years, and a player being a panther his whole career i can see negotiating his contract to benefit the team.

Getting salary cap under control is going to be a huge concern. These two guys i think gotta stay. We are close to being a playoff team, and getting rid of these veterans and replacing them with youth we are taking a step back. Every step we take needs to be forward.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gamble has to be let go though unless he restructures. We need the room.

And Gross has been on a steep decline for awhile now. I love the guy but unless he restructures (which I'm sure he'd be willing to do), we might have to let him go.

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We need to grab oline help anyway. Depending on how things shake out, I'm not going to complain if they draft an OT in the first, even if we keep Gross on the roster (which we should, particularly if he restructures).

MrDrew wrote:
Can somebody give me a good reason there's not a giant statue to fret somewhere?
OneBadCat

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gross has to restructure and im confident that he will. He's a Panther guy.

I completely agree with you OP on Gamble. I think he's exceptional. Hopefully he can restructure but the positive here is that at least we have Norman and Josh Thomas in the CB stable. I think those guys will be key guys in the future.

Beason also needs to restructure.

As it stands we need to work miracles to get any FA's. We'll need to draft very well.
Toughguy77

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OneBadCat wrote:

I completely agree with you OP on Gamble. I think he's exceptional. Hopefully he can restructure but the positive here is that at least we have Norman and Josh Thomas in the CB stable. I think those guys will be key guys in the future.

As it stands we need to work miracles to get any FA's. We'll need to draft very well.

Completely disagree

*2013 NFC South Champions* Panthers
Gamecocks
tbrown2699

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toughguy77 wrote:
OneBadCat wrote:

Completely disagree

Without looking at any stats, the Panthers defense played very well the last 8 or so games of the season... all without Gamble and Beason. Which means that our young stable of CB's must have done a decent job and Luke is the center piece to the defense. Norman and Thomas are very young and have no where to go but up in their playing career. Cap't plays well as a nickle CB. I don't think there will be a player worthy taking at 14 in the defensive backfield so I see the Panthers taking OT or DT.
UKpantherfan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it has to be DT in R1 and OL in R2 with help at other spots such as WR or Safety in the lower rounds.

In terms of a CB, I don't think we desperately need one. The secondary didn't do too badly down the stretch with the excpetion of some dodgy safety play at times.

Maybe get a little compeition at safety through FA or through lower rounds and maybe look to work with the existing safeties in the offseason to coach them up a little.
tbrown2699

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, with the prospects of the Saints moving to a 3-4 base D, Sedrick Ellis is most likely out as he fits a 4-3 scheme. I was very high on him coming out of USC but really haven't paid much attention to him since. If he becomes available, would you all consider him as a Panther?
Toughguy77

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tbrown2699 wrote:
Toughguy77 wrote:
OneBadCat wrote:

Completely disagree

Without looking at any stats, the Panthers defense played very well the last 8 or so games of the season... all without Gamble and Beason. Which means that our young stable of CB's must have done a decent job and Luke is the center piece to the defense. Norman and Thomas are very young and have no where to go but up in their playing career. Cap't plays well as a nickle CB. I don't think there will be a player worthy taking at 14 in the defensive backfield so I see the Panthers taking OT or DT.

Do you really consider starting Thomas and Norman as the first two corners heading into the 2013 season if we cut Gamble? Yeah I didn't think so either

*2013 NFC South Champions* Panthers
Gamecocks
Moody

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toughguy77 wrote:
tbrown2699 wrote:
Toughguy77 wrote:
OneBadCat wrote:

Completely disagree

Do you really consider starting Thomas and Norman as the first two corners heading into the 2013 season if we cut Gamble? Yeah I didn't think so either

I don't think people are as with you on that as you think. It's not the best situation, but who else is going to play?

Of course they have to earn it through training camp, but we ended the season starting Dockery and Josh Thomas and they were playing well. Keep in mind Gamble wasn't a part of the defense when it was even decent.

They might not be long term solutions but they worked well for what we needed to be done right now. I think the safety position is in more dire need.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Carolina Panthers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: