Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Junior Seau's family is suing the NFL
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dbronx42

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Such a shame his family is going to turn this into a money grab settlement. It's ridiculous to sue the NFL for Junior taking his own life. Plenty of players who have come before him and sustained worse injuries don't blame it on the league. His job gave him fame, paid him millions of dollars, and also paid for anything medical wise that occurred during his playing days.

But since he took his own life it's the NFL's fault? I think not...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: coward. Reply with quote

eagles101 wrote:
GeneralTso wrote:
eagles101 wrote:
SHONUFF wrote:
Suing the NFL, because he decided to play a sport with high speed collisions and in the end took the cowardly way out...They should blame Jr for him not being around anymore, not the NFL...

you could say that about anything then. you work at a factor that people die in, "well he should have quit he new the factor was dangerous." crash a car and die "he should have bought a new one, he knew the safety rating was bad"

Well in any of your scenarios, why should there be a lawsuit anyways?

there has been a lot of lawsuits for unsafe working conditions and unsafe cars.....like a lot.....sooo

Yea, but once again, people have to know what they're getting into. Is it the companies' fault that they died if on their contracts they know what the danger is?

james.mcmurry13 wrote:
Yeah, [Mike] Wallace would be like 4th fastest on the Raiders.
JDLefebvre

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dbronx42 wrote:
Such a shame his family is going to turn this into a money grab settlement. It's ridiculous to sue the NFL for Junior taking his own life. Plenty of players who have come before him and sustained worse injuries don't blame it on the league. His job gave him fame, paid him millions of dollars, and also paid for anything medical wise that occurred during his playing days.

I'd compare it to soldiers with PTSD taking their own lives. You don't see families suing the government.

Its sad what happened to him. Its sad that it happens to so many players. But they all know the risk (athletes and soldiers). Problem is their salaries/benefits differ just a little bit.

But I guess thats a topic for another day.

thanks El ramster

KCCO!!!
oderint dum metuant
iPwn

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JDLefebvre wrote:
dbronx42 wrote:

I'd compare it to soldiers with PTSD taking their own lives. You don't see families suing the government.

Its sad what happened to him. Its sad that it happens to so many players. But they all know the risk (athletes and soldiers). Problem is their salaries/benefits differ just a little bit.

Except the players didn't know the risk. It's even being claimed that the NFL lied to them about the risk and even told them that the risk was non-existent.

- Best since day one -
The road to success is always under construction - Gus Bradley
StLunatic88

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: coward. Reply with quote

eagles101 wrote:
StLunatic88 wrote:
eagles101 wrote:
SHONUFF wrote:
Suing the NFL, because he decided to play a sport with high speed collisions and in the end took the cowardly way out...They should blame Jr for him not being around anymore, not the NFL...

you could say that about anything then. you work at a factor that people die in, "well he should have quit he new the factor was dangerous." crash a car and die "he should have bought a new one, he knew the safety rating was bad"
And thats all people do in todays society.

Its always easier to blame someone else for things that go wrong, especially if you can get some money out of it...

right in todays society.....and by today i assume you mean the beginning of time....because assigning blame to people who willfully hide or ignore danger to there employees, customers, or people in general has happened since the beginning of written history.
Yea they did a great job of covering up how Violent of a game football really is. They painted it is a land of rainbows and cotton-candy filled with pillow fights & patty-cake
broncos67

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ridiculous. There's no standing to sue. You don't want these things to happen to you by CHOOSING to play a violent game? Maybe these college athletes should start taking their college classes a little more seriously instead of being big man on campus and then out of luck when they can't do ANYTHING but play football.

What a joke.

Thanks, Tzimisce
Nabbs4u

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iPwn wrote:
JDLefebvre wrote:
dbronx42 wrote:

Except the players didn't know the risk. It's even being claimed that the NFL lied to them about the risk and even told them that the risk was non-existent.

This is the point everyone is missing and or intentionally ignoring. How many years has the NFL intentionally ignored or covered up the potential risks of Concussions and head injuries? It's not until the lawsuit by the Players came about that "New" Wink Concussion protocol's were set. In Jr. time and most of the non 2000's they were told shake it off, get back in there here's a ammonia stick, wake up! You can't tell me medical personnel from NFL organizations didn't know 10 years ago rushing someone back from concussions to soon "might" cause damage? Yet they intentionally were urged by the organization, coaching staff or player themselves to get back out there too soon. In any other profession if you are intentionally placed in a situation where your health is at risk and it is not divulged to you ahead of time, They are at fault. At no time did the NFL tell Seau and others from his generation the inherit dangers of repetitive head trauma, side effects and or CTE because supposedly they didn't know Rolling Eyes. You look at players "Now" with that knowledge choosing to retire early just in case. Knowledge is power and the NFL as a business has had that knowledge I promise you for decades more then the last 3 years and chose not to say anything. In my eye's that's liability. Would be if I worked in a chemical plant and told no need wearing your mask in this environment, it's safe. Only to find out I now have lung desease? No need wearing these protective eye wear during welding our product ,your vision will be fine. Only to acquire cataracts, loss of vision or to go blind down the line? Some might say those are examples of just using common sense but in reality 20 years from now so will be CTE and repetitive head trauma to NFL players leading to early retirements rather then 15 year careers to those who have sustained numerous concussions. At some point higher standards have to be set. The NFL waited at least 20-25 years longer to put them in use. Just look at the NFL product on the field since the Players lawsuit came about and tell me that has not changed the way players are allowed to proceed after concussions and massive hits to the head. The NFL knows they screwed up and are attempting to fix what they didn't.

Last edited by Nabbs4u on Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:28 pm; edited 3 times in total
Kellerman

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why does everyone keep harping on about ''consent'' or ''choosing'' to play in the NFL? The OP specifically mentions the family suing the NFL for ''acts or omissions that hid the dangers of head to head blows''.

If the NFL did, in fact, omitted or hid certian info regarding the danger of brain damage from playing in the NFL, then how can there be ''informed consent''?

To me it seems that it's not about consent, but about whether the NFL chose to look away when it came to brain damage caused by football.

#97 Everson Griffin: 27 tackles : 5.5 sacks : 1 FF ; 16 games played
Kellerman

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: coward. Reply with quote

StLunatic88 wrote:
eagles101 wrote:
StLunatic88 wrote:
eagles101 wrote:
SHONUFF wrote:

And thats all people do in todays society.

Its always easier to blame someone else for things that go wrong, especially if you can get some money out of it...

right in todays society.....and by today i assume you mean the beginning of time....because assigning blame to people who willfully hide or ignore danger to there employees, customers, or people in general has happened since the beginning of written history.
Yea they did a great job of covering up how Violent of a game football really is. They painted it is a land of rainbows and cotton-candy filled with pillow fights & patty-cake

I'm sure the NFL never ''lied'' to NFL players by telling them that getitng hit doesn't hurt, that you aren't liable to break bones, tear ligaments, etc.

I'm also pretty sure the NFL never told their players ''hey, if you keep playing despite brain injuries, your brain turns to mush, bye bye retirement''. So yeah, when they told players it was no big deal, or left them ignorant (''if''), they did paint a land of rainbows when it comes to brian damage.

fretgod99

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Law suits are now just money grabs.
Filing a law suit means people aren't willing to take responsibility for their own actions.
Family members have no standing to bring suit.

These are things that frustrate me about these types of topics. Let's allow the chips to fall where they may. Believe it or not, the system is actually set up to handle these types of cases. Whether they are legitimate or not, they'll get handled in due course.

MrDrew wrote:
Can somebody give me a good reason there's not a giant statue to fret somewhere?
SnA ExclusiVe

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...and the tarnishing of the Seau name begins.

BlaqOptic wrote:
I'd say he's [Dennis Pitta] the fourth best TE in the division... Cameron > Miller > Gresham > Eiffert = Pitta
RainbowCarebear

Location: "Are you hungry, child?" Yes, she thought, but not for food.
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RaidersAreOne wrote:
I hate this crap. The players CHOOSE to play in this league. Whatever happens on the field, is a direct cause stemming from THEIR decision of playing in the league. They could have left at anytime. Completely ridiculous and I am so sick of hearing about people blaming the NFL for their injuries and sicknesses when they choose that career path.

Agree, take an office job if you don't want to take the risk.

"Do you imagine Whoresbane loves you any better? If you did not hold the ..., he would pull out your entrails and make you eat them"
"In return, we swore that we should always be their men"
sp6488

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nabbs4u wrote:
iPwn wrote:
JDLefebvre wrote:
dbronx42 wrote:

This is the point everyone is missing and or intentionally ignoring. How many years has the NFL intentionally ignored or covered up the potential risks of Concussions and head injuries? It's not until the lawsuit by the Players came about that "New" Wink Concussion protocol's were set. In Jr. time and most of the non 2000's they were told shake it off, get back in there here's a ammonia stick, wake up! You can't tell me medical personnel from NFL organizations didn't know 10 years ago rushing someone back from concussions to soon "might" cause damage? Yet they intentionally were urged by the organization, coaching staff or player themselves to get back out there too soon. In any other profession if you are intentionally placed in a situation where your health is at risk and it is not divulged to you ahead of time, They are at fault. At no time did the NFL tell Seau and others from his generation the inherit dangers of repetitive head trauma, side effects and or CTE because supposedly they didn't know Rolling Eyes. You look at players "Now" with that knowledge choosing to retire early just in case. Knowledge is power and the NFL as a business has had that knowledge I promise you for decades more then the last 3 years and chose not to say anything. In my eye's that's liability. Would be if I worked in a chemical plant and told no need wearing your mask in this environment, it's safe. Only to find out I now have lung desease? No need wearing these protective eye wear during welding our product ,your vision will be fine. Only to acquire cataracts, loss of vision or to go blind down the line? Some might say those are examples of just using common sense but in reality 20 years from now so will be CTE and repetitive head trauma to NFL players leading to early retirements rather then 15 year careers to those who have sustained numerous concussions. At some point higher standards have to be set. The NFL waited at least 20-25 years longer to put them in use. Just look at the NFL product on the field since the Players lawsuit came about and tell me that has not changed the way players are allowed to proceed after concussions and massive hits to the head. The NFL knows they screwed up and are attempting to fix what they didn't.

Quote:
Why does everyone keep harping on about ''consent'' or ''choosing'' to play in the NFL? The OP specifically mentions the family suing the NFL for ''acts or omissions that hid the dangers of head to head blows''.

I think the problem arises, though, that they are bringing a wrongful death lawsuit. I am completely aware that they are claiming the NFL has covered up information, etc. If Seau had passed away directly as a result of these injuries, they would have a much more compelling case. The fact that he committed suicide makes their claims of wrongful death, for which the NFL is responsible, much more difficult.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just read that the lawsuit refers to mental issues dating back to the 90s..

How can you sue the NFL for wrongful death when you had first hand experience dealing with his numerous issues(depression, violence, amnesia, gambling,etc..) and did absolutely nothing about it? If you didn't plead with him to quit football, or at the very least make him see a doctor, you have just as much blame for his death as anyone else.

What happened to him was tragic, it's really sad to see someone making a money grab after the guy died when they really didn't care enough when he was alive.
Kellerman

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sp6488 wrote:
Nabbs4u wrote:
iPwn wrote:
JDLefebvre wrote:
dbronx42 wrote:

Quote:

I think the problem arises, though, that they are bringing a wrongful death lawsuit. I am completely aware that they are claiming the NFL has covered up information, etc. If Seau had passed away directly as a result of these injuries, they would have a much more compelling case. The fact that he committed suicide makes their claims of wrongful death, for which the NFL is responsible, much more difficult.

It does make for a difficult case, hard to predict the outcome. I think my post (and that of nabbs4u as well) was more in response to people saying that NFL players choosing to play football somehow relieves the NFL of any (potential) wrongdoing.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: