Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Saints fan here... Need you guys help

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos
View previous topic :: View next topic  
whodatworm23

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:54 am    Post subject: Saints fan here... Need you guys help Reply with quote

Hey guys,

Sorry to bother you on your fourm but alot of Saints fans are looking for an answer that maybe you guys can give. By now I'm sure you may have heard the news that Sean Payton has fired Steve Spagnuolo and has commited to switching our defensive scheme to the 3-4.

Our question is this...

Brodrick Bunkley whom we signed from you guys last season. Do you guys feel he's a good fit as a 34 NT dispite his less than ideal size for the position?

When he was in Denver diden't you guys run a little 34 as well? If so, how did he do?

Thanks for all the help guys

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zk958n5n66o
jonnyj20

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He only played here in 2011 under Dennis Allen in the 4-3. Not sure if he is a 2 gap DT or not.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you guys want Elvis for a 2nd? Career highs in a 3-4 at OLB, won't ever repeat that under Fox, and the Saints need pass-rushers.

Chasing Lombardi and Stanley!
WELTMEISTER 2014 * * * *
by Joe_is_the_best
sebber

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BroncoinGermany wrote:
Do you guys want Elvis for a 2nd? Career highs in a 3-4 at OLB, won't ever repeat that under Fox, and the Saints need pass-rushers.

Agree. Elvis needs to go to a 3-4 defense again. He's not worth the money on a 4-3 defense.

As for Bunkley being a 34 NT. Not in my opinion. At least not a top class one. He fits a 4-3 defense better
lomaxgr

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

People make too much of the difference between a 3-4 and a 4-3, especially with a one dimensional 3-4 OLB like Elvis. He was too stiff and unathletic to do anything but rush the passer as a 3-4 OLB, so he doesn't offer the elite skillset (dropping into short zones etc) that a quality 3-4 OLB does.

Elvis rushes the passer from a two point stance plenty as a 4-3 DE and from a similiar position from a gap perspective too, so there really isn't much difference between how he plays now and how he played as a 3-4 OLB. If anything, we are less predictable now because we can use one of our 3 LB's (in our base 4-3) in different ways that Elvis wasn't able to (if we are going off the premise that 4 men are rushing the passer).

As for the question - Bunkley plays too high too often to be a 3-4 NT in my opinion. Plus, having issues with your knee(s) is never good as a 3-4 NT.

MUFC OK
jsthomp2007

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He is very good in a hot dog eating contest.
JerseysFinest27

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lomaxgr wrote:
People make too much of the difference between a 3-4 and a 4-3, especially with a one dimensional 3-4 OLB like Elvis. He was too stiff and unathletic to do anything but rush the passer as a 3-4 OLB, so he doesn't offer the elite skillset (dropping into short zones etc) that a quality 3-4 OLB does.

Elvis rushes the passer from a two point stance plenty as a 4-3 DE and from a similiar position from a gap perspective too, so there really isn't much difference between how he plays now and how he played as a 3-4 OLB. If anything, we are less predictable now because we can use one of our 3 LB's (in our base 4-3) in different ways that Elvis wasn't able to (if we are going off the premise that 4 men are rushing the passer).

As for the question - Bunkley plays too high too often to be a 3-4 NT in my opinion. Plus, having issues with your knee(s) is never good as a 3-4 NT.

Agree with everything said here. Well said lomaxgr.

Bunkley is not a 34 NT nor should he be in consideration for it. Id consider Akiem Hicks before Bunkley. That said, I think a 34 defense is a bad idea for the team they have. Can Will Smith and Cam Jordan be OLB's? Maybe, but I wouldnt do it. I think David Hawthorne and Curtis Lofton are nice 34 ILBs and Marques Wilson would benefit moving to OLB than strictly DE.

I think the biggest flaw to this defense was its pass rushing. They had no consistent pass rush. Whether that was Spags fault or not, Im not sure.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JerseysFinest27 wrote:
lomaxgr wrote:

Bunkley is not a 34 NT nor should he be in consideration for it. Id consider Akiem Hicks before Bunkley. That said, I think a 34 defense is a bad idea for the team they have. Can Will Smith and Cam Jordan be OLB's? Maybe, but I wouldnt do it. I think David Hawthorne and Curtis Lofton are nice 34 ILBs and Marques Wilson would benefit moving to OLB than strictly DE.

I think the biggest flaw to this defense was its pass rushing. They had no consistent pass rush. Whether that was Spags fault or not, Im not sure.

Wasn't Cam Jordan a 34 DE in college (at Cal)? I think you're right about the linebackers: Wilson at OLB, Lofton & Hawthorne at ILB.

All in all, no, I wouldn't expect much from Bunkley as an 34 NT.
AntiSuperstar

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bunkley could play Nose Tackle maybe, but he looked pretty terrible this year with the Saints from what I saw so I'm not sure one can expect much from him.
Donut

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JerseysFinest27 wrote:
lomaxgr wrote:

Cam Jordan should be the 5 tech in the 3-4. He should be closer to 300lbs than he was when he was drafted. I dont think Jordan is athletic enough to be the elephant OLB unless he slimmed way down.
BroncoinGermany wrote:

W/ his contract you'd be lucky to get a 5th let alone a 2nd. He wouldnt be a top oLB even if moved back. His ability to play the run in a 3-4 vs 4-3 might be a bit better but he wouldnt be complete player there.
2011: Matt Slater
2012: Ras I Dowling
2013: Chandler Jones

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: