Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Jets could part ways with CB Darrelle Revis
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 11, 12, 13  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
AP_allday2869

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minnesota will trade AJ Jefferson and a 7th round pick.

Adopt a Viking:
Chris Cook: Tackles: 5 Ints: 0 BP: 1 Ejections:1

Bridgewater or Bust!
ManeLine

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd trade a lot to get him on the Lions but we don't have the cap space unfortunately.

Smack

Adopt A Lion - Ryan Broyles
candyman93

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd love to have him and Haden. I'd give up 2-3 first rounders for him.

You've been here 7 and still haven't picked a team.
GiantsStadium

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the Jets are looking to go into rebuild mode, I can see why they would want to explore trade options. He'll be 29 when his contract runs out. As a rebuilding team do you really want to pay a 30 year old CB 13,14,15,16 mill a year?
jetskid007

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm gonna be sick if the Jets trade him, but I think some are a little confused why they would do it...

Revis's contract is up after this year and the Jets can not franchise him. Regardless how much the Jets threw at him after this season, Revis can pick up and leave.

The Jets are in desperation mode. They will be in cap hell this year and have to find about 11 new starters. Revis is probably the only player whom you can get significant value from (I think the Jets will request a 1st at minimum, possibly more). Unless they can get Revis to sign a team friendly contract, he's gone. Do you trade him for premium compensation and gain players who will be around for another 4 years at low cost, or do you play out 2013 with him and run the risk of losing Revis for a 3rd round pick in 2015.
WhackyPlague

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

candyman93 wrote:

For the torn ACL Darrelle Revis? He might never be the same -- or he might be just as good as he was. In any case, it's too big of an unknown for multiple first-round picks.
JammerHammer21

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WhackyPlague wrote:
candyman93 wrote:

For the torn ACL Darrelle Revis? He might never be the same -- or he might be just as good as he was. In any case, it's too big of an unknown for multiple first-round picks.

ACL tears are relatively simple to fix now. If it were a patella tendon or Achilles, it'd be a lot more concerning.

Bohlmann20 (On The 95 Cleveland Browns Staff) wrote:
Lombardi - Isn't that the guy the trophy is named after? If so, top 3 coach of all time.

#JDI
Doom92

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd give up a 1st this year and a conditional 3rd that could be 2nd if he plays all 16 games next year. Pairing him with Champ would be scary! Draft picks are overvalued in my opinion. How often are you going to find the best cornerback in the NFL in his prime with your 1st round pick. Not often...that's for sure.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

candyman93 wrote:

I am whole-heartedly against trading Revis, but I would really consider that deal. No offense to the Browns, but that 2014 pick might have a good chance of netting us Bridgewater or Clowney.
Spiel612

Most Valuable Poster (7th Ballot)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

green24 wrote:
I hate Woody Johnson. Jerry Jones is a better owner than Woody Johnson.

Assuming we make obvious cuts, we're also projected to be more than $50M under the cap for 2014. If we let Revis go, it's not because of a lack of cap room.

This.

Makes absolutely no sense. If the Jets release Jason Smith, Calvin Pace, Bart Scott, Sione Pouha, Eric Smith, and Tim Tebow they can save 36 million dollars. Next off-season you release Sanchez and Holmes and the Jets would have more then 50 million available in cap room.

This isn't rocket science. They can re-sign Revis. It has to do with whether they want to or not. Because of all the money Tannenbaum spent Woody is reacting harshly. But Revis is actually one of the players who is truly worth throwing a lot of money at. Champ Bailey has still played very well deep into his career. There is no reason to think that Revis can't also--unless the Jets know something we don't.

Ian Rappaport reported Revis wents to finish his career with the Jets, so I'm hoping that maybe Revis realizes he needs to bring down his demands. They can absolutely pay him 12 million per year.

The truly scary thing is that the Jets could easily restructure deals with Harris, Ferguson, and Mangold and it would barely affect the 2014 cap while also opening up quite a bit of space this off-season.

If Revis were healthy this move might make sense. As of right now, I just don't see or understand it. Nor do I understand why the owner is making this decision.

A king's ransom is one thing. Anything else is not worth it.
RaidersAreOne

Location: Canada, but don't worry... i'm not one of those damn dirty french.
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

green24 wrote:
candyman93 wrote:

I am whole-heartedly against trading Revis, but I would really consider that deal. No offense to the Browns, but that 2014 pick might have a good chance of netting us Bridgewater or Clowney.

I highly doubt they will be picking top 3 next year. Solid coaching additions, decent core on offence, etc will keep them out of the top spots imo.

First jersey purchased: Jamarcus Russell.
Second jersey purchased: Rolando McClain.
Next purchases: Every Chiefs, Chargers and Broncos player.
JTagg7754 on the sig.
green24

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RaidersAreOne wrote:
green24 wrote:
candyman93 wrote:

I highly doubt they will be picking top 3 next year. Solid coaching additions, decent core on offence, etc will keep them out of the top spots imo.

I mean I think teams like the Cardinals and Jaguars will be worse, but it's not impossible that they bomb. At the very worst, we could have ammo for a trade-up for Bridgewater/Clowney.
steelcurtain29

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, trading away your best player will help you with that rebuilding problem....

Looks like they're heading down the path of a run of top 5 picks at this point...
jrry32

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

green24 wrote:
I hate Woody Johnson. Jerry Jones is a better owner than Woody Johnson.

Assuming we make obvious cuts, we're also projected to be more than $50M under the cap for 2014. If we let Revis go, it's not because of a lack of cap room.

No offense, green, but I doubt you know more about the team's cap room than the people running the team...even with the Jets being a dysfunctional organization.

But would he do it in a Sharknado?
TheVillain112

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sell low, great strategy. Laughing

This really makes zero sense. Revis is 27 years old. Leon Hall whose a year older just came back from an achilles tear and was lights out the second half of the season. And Hall is no Revis.

The best player hands down at CB; you're going to try and trade him? Unless you got some medical information that he's not going to ever be 100% again, you're crazy to trade him away now...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 2 of 13

Jump to: