Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Jets could part ways with CB Darrelle Revis
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spiel612

Most Valuable Poster (7th Ballot)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jrry32 wrote:
green24 wrote:
I hate Woody Johnson. Jerry Jones is a better owner than Woody Johnson.

Assuming we make obvious cuts, we're also projected to be more than $50M under the cap for 2014. If we let Revis go, it's not because of a lack of cap room.

No offense, green, but I doubt you know more about the team's cap room than the people running the team...even with the Jets being a dysfunctional organization.

He's not wrong jrry32. The math is quite simple.

http://nyjetscap.com/salary13.html

That's the most reliable source I've ever seen on Jets salary cap information. They are spot on nearly ever year. I've done the math. Players that are likely to be cut this year will net the Jets 36 million dollars. If they cut Sanchez and Holmes in 2014, it'll net them an extra 14-16 million.

They'd have about 55 million in cap room, and they'd need to sign Wilkerson long-term. They have the cap room to keep Revis. It's not going to be a cap issue. It's an issue of if they actually want to pay this guy more then what Asomugha got from Oakland a few years back.

EDIT:

http://nyjetscap.com/salary14.html

Those are the 2014 numbers. If you subtract Sanchez, Pouha, Holmes, and Scott (Pouha and Scott will be cut this off-season) then you're looking at about 55 million in cap space.

Subtract 12 million to fit two draft classes in--that's 43 million. Subtract the money that will be necessary for Muhammed Wilkerson. The Jets would still have more then enough to keep Revis. Odds are they are going to be letting Keller, Greene, DeVito, Landry, Slauson, and Moore test free agency and I wouldn't be shocked if not a single one of them was retained.

The Jets have the money to keep Revis. It's about whether or not they actually want to spend it.
green24

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spiel612 wrote:
jrry32 wrote:
green24 wrote:
I hate Woody Johnson. Jerry Jones is a better owner than Woody Johnson.

Assuming we make obvious cuts, we're also projected to be more than $50M under the cap for 2014. If we let Revis go, it's not because of a lack of cap room.

No offense, green, but I doubt you know more about the team's cap room than the people running the team...even with the Jets being a dysfunctional organization.

He's not wrong jrry32. The math is quite simple.

http://nyjetscap.com/salary13.html

That's the most reliable source I've ever seen on Jets salary cap information. They are spot on nearly ever year. I've done the math. Players that are likely to be cut this year will net the Jets 36 million dollars. If they cut Sanchez and Holmes in 2014, it'll net them an extra 14-16 million.

They'd have about 55 million in cap room, and they'd need to sign Wilkerson long-term. They have the cap room to keep Revis. It's not going to be a cap issue. It's an issue of if they actually want to pay this guy more then what Asomugha got from Oakland a few years back.

EDIT:

http://nyjetscap.com/salary14.html

Those are the 2014 numbers. If you subtract Sanchez, Pouha, Holmes, and Scott (Pouha and Scott will be cut this off-season) then you're looking at about 55 million in cap space.

Subtract 12 million to fit two draft classes in--that's 43 million. Subtract the money that will be necessary for Muhammed Wilkerson. The Jets would still have more then enough to keep Revis. Odds are they are going to be letting Keller, Greene, DeVito, Landry, Slauson, and Moore test free agency and I wouldn't be shocked if not a single one of them was retained.

The Jets have the money to keep Revis. It's about whether or not they actually want to spend it.

Not out of the question that the salary cap rises a bit next season.
Bednarik60

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems like Revis wants a new contract every great game he has. Is it really that dumb to rid a struggling franchise of self centered players?

"I believe this: I would rather play with 10 people and get penalized all the way until we've got to do something else. Rather than play with 11 when I know that right now that person is not sold out to be a part of this team. It is more about them than it is about the team.

Cannot play with them. Cannot win with them. Cannot coach with them. Can't do it. I want winners. I want people that want to win."
-Mike Singletary

Sig/Art by The Great Silo
#championCHIP #CHIPlife #Sparkles
Spiel612

Most Valuable Poster (7th Ballot)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bednarik60 wrote:
Seems like Revis wants a new contract every great game he has. Is it really that dumb to rid a struggling franchise of self centered players?

"I believe this: I would rather play with 10 people and get penalized all the way until we've got to do something else. Rather than play with 11 when I know that right now that person is not sold out to be a part of this team. It is more about them than it is about the team.

Cannot play with them. Cannot win with them. Cannot coach with them. Can't do it. I want winners. I want people that want to win."
-Mike Singletary

Of course he wants a new contract. His current one expires in a year Laughing

I'll never understand the double standard. We constantly forget that for the players this is their profession. They need to make as much money as possible because they are not going to be able to do this forever, and for many of them they'll never make anywhere close to this type of money again.

This is their nest egg. Maximize profits now while you can. We have no problem yelling at the owners to spend more money, but when a player wants to actually collect, we seem to have a problem with it.

If Revis can make six million dollars a year more with another team on the open market, I'd support him in that. I'd be devastated as a fan, but I'd support the decision. The Jets offered Shaun Ellis the veteran minimum to return in 2011. The Patriots offered him 4 million dollars.

You do the math.
tylerdouglass

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
Revis is VERY young still, so what's Woody thinking?!

I don't disagree with your main point, trading him is beyond stupid.

But he'll be 28 before next season starts. That's not "very" young.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tylerdouglass wrote:
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:

Corners last long. Champ Bailey is still probably a top 10 corner and he'll be 35 by the start of the season.
tylerdouglass

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

green24 wrote:
tylerdouglass wrote:
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:

Corners last long. Champ Bailey is still probably a top 10 corner and he'll be 35 by the start of the season.

Playing a position that can be played longer than others doesn't magically make you young. 28 years old is 28 years old. He's been in the league 6 years. He might be young in regards to his position and when he's expected to be in his prime, he certainly isn't "very" young.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woody Johnson is just truly an idiot. This franchise is going no where until he sells the team or crokes. What a world class moron. Seriously.
iPwn

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We'll give you a 7th for Revis and Tebow. Laughing

- Best since day one -
The road to success is always under construction - Gus Bradley
BillSabre

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spiel612 wrote:
Bednarik60 wrote:

-Mike Singletary

Of course he wants a new contract. His current one expires in a year Laughing

I'll never understand the double standard. We constantly forget that for the players this is their profession. They need to make as much money as possible because they are not going to be able to do this forever, and for many of them they'll never make anywhere close to this type of money again.

This is their nest egg. Maximize profits now while you can. We have no problem yelling at the owners to spend more money, but when a player wants to actually collect, we seem to have a problem with it.

If Revis can make six million dollars a year more with another team on the open market, I'd support him in that. I'd be devastated as a fan, but I'd support the decision. The Jets offered Shaun Ellis the veteran minimum to return in 2011. The Patriots offered him 4 million dollars.

You do the math.

Revis held out twice on contracts that he signed. That's all the math I need to do.

SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
Who got that sack? Cameron Jordan? Jordan Cameron? Michael Jordan? Cam Cameron? IM SO CONFUSED!
BenchSanchez

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JMG wrote:
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
That's just dumb.

Seriously, just absolutely dumb.

Just how I feel.

As I Jet fan, I'm sick to my stomach. Trading Revis would be the worst decision ever by the Jets. They'd lose a lot of fan base.

Just pay the man. If you have to, trade Cromartie if you're that cheap.

Agreed. I would freakin cry if we lost Revis.

New York Jets Rutgers Scarlet Knights Brooklyn Nets New York Mets
tom cody

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would be a bad move if the Jets did this. Revis is one of their better players.
Malik

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Explore trading Holmes, Harris, Sanchez, even Cromartie before Revis. The Jets aren't exactly in a shortage of overpaid players. Difference is that Revis is actually the best at his position.
flyguy1609

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if they could get great value for him id consider it. he is coming off injury, can't get franchised in the off-season and the jets are from i have been reading in "cap-hell" guess they figure to get something for him if they can't resign him
BaltimoreTerp

Most Valuable Poster (4th Ballot)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spiel612 wrote:

You're also going to have to save some of that cap room for replacing the close-to dozen players you're projecting the Jets to get rid of. That includes restocking the quarterback position, which is the most expensive position out there. Unless you plan on filling every hole with a player playing for the veteran minimum, a lot of that money is going to be eaten away at as well. And it's probably in the Jets' interest to spread the money around more with that cap space; if they skimp elsewhere in order to splurge on Revis, they're right back in the same position of being a team with no talent except at the CB position. Jeremy Kerley will be done with Year 3 after next season and may want a new deal as well. So the Jets are definitely going to have to plug some holes and spend money even with all of that cap room opening up. Maybe not enough that re-signing Revis is impossible, but it's definitely something to take into account.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 3 of 13

Jump to: