Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Playoff Structure
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
PHillysPHinest2


Joined: 06 Jan 2008
Posts: 2027
Location: Albuquerque, NM, The Land of Enchantment
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:02 am    Post subject: Playoff Structure Reply with quote

So I was talking with my roommate and we agreed that the current playoff system is a little flawed, not to mention the league is considering adding more teams. We came up with this plan: Have teams play a 10 to 12 game season to determine seeding, then have a 32 game playoff. The 1 seed determined by strength of schedule and record would play the 32 seed the 2 plays 31 and so forth. Now I realize this probably will never happen but it would be cool to see. What do you guys think? There would be some great games! Especially in the 15 vs 16 and 14 vs 17 games.
_________________


Kiltman is the Ill(est) man
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MARIO MANGELINI


Joined: 15 Jan 2013
Posts: 895
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:07 am    Post subject: Re: Playoff Structure Reply with quote

PHillysPHinest2 wrote:
So I was talking with my roommate and we agreed that the current playoff system is a little flawed, not to mention the league is considering adding more teams. We came up with this plan: Have teams play a 10 to 12 game season to determine seeding, then have a 32 game playoff. The 1 seed determined by strength of schedule and record would play the 32 seed the 2 plays 31 and so forth. Now I realize this probably will never happen but it would be cool to see. What do you guys think? There would be some great games! Especially in the 15 vs 16 and 14 vs 17 games.


Wouldn't there be a playoff game between the #1 seed and the #32 seed? Basically the equivalent of a playoff game between the Broncos and Chiefs?

No thanks..
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mozwanted


Joined: 26 Jun 2006
Posts: 16955
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is perhaps the worst idea i have ever herd in my 24 years in this earth. That isnt a playoff system its basically regular season.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger
INbengalfan


Joined: 21 Jan 2006
Posts: 5580
Location: Richmond, IN
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No way. The league would lose too much money.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
stallyns


Global Moderator
FF Fanatic
Joined: 02 Dec 2004
Posts: 23729
Location: 414
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not liking the idea, but the real question is "What is flawed with the current playoff system?'
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
fluhartz


Joined: 19 Jan 2006
Posts: 1879
Location: somewhere
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mozwanted wrote:
That is perhaps the worst idea i have ever herd in my 24 years in this earth. That isnt a playoff system its basically regular season.




all of this...except I'm older than 24
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DontTazeMeBro


Joined: 20 Jan 2008
Posts: 25540
Location: 321
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They would play for higher seeding until players start getting banged up. Then they'd say F it we're in no matter what. Completely pointless regular season.
_________________

SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
1/10. Not a fan[of C.J. Mosley]. Just another future failed Alabama product.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ArrowheadRage58


Joined: 31 Aug 2011
Posts: 4089
Location: Hate for the Donkeys is at a mile high
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stallyns wrote:
Not liking the idea, but the real question is "What is flawed with the current playoff system?'


They give 4 teams home field advantage AND a bye. While leaving perfectly capable teams out of the mix nearly every year. Teams that usually have the same record as teams who DO make it, teams that tie for their division title, teams that win 10 games, teams that win 8 or 9 games with a brutal schedule are left out for 10 win teams with easy schedule.

You can't include every team, but atleast eliminate the bye.
_________________
49ers Finest wrote:

People just seem to be mad because the chiefs are all of a sudden doing what their fans thought they were capable of
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
stallyns


Global Moderator
FF Fanatic
Joined: 02 Dec 2004
Posts: 23729
Location: 414
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ArrowheadRage58 wrote:
stallyns wrote:
Not liking the idea, but the real question is "What is flawed with the current playoff system?'


They give 4 teams home field advantage AND a bye. While leaving perfectly capable teams out of the mix nearly every year. Teams that usually have the same record as teams who DO make it, teams that tie for their division title, teams that win 10 games, teams that win 8 or 9 games with a brutal schedule are left out for 10 win teams with easy schedule.

You can't include every team, but atleast eliminate the bye.

12 teams out of 32 (37.5%) make the playoffs. The only league with a smaller percentage of playoff teams is the MLB (33%). I'd hate for the NFL to allow 50%+ like NHL or NBA

I don't see the bye as a negative. The only way to get rid of the bye is to:
A ) Add 2 more Wild Cards to each conference
B ) Eliminate the Wild Cards altogether
I don't think either option is acceptable.

As far as trying to say that 8 or 9 win teams are worthy to make the playoffs because their schedule was tough? I'm not buying that as a legitimate gripe.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ViolentMonk71


Joined: 06 May 2005
Posts: 3766
Location: Don Shula's front porch
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ummm no.....I think this is a horrible idea.

Most team would treat the regular season as a tune up, protecting their best players in hoping to make a strong playoff run.

Teams that lost in the first round (half of the NFL) would only end up playing 13 games losing the revenue they would have earned from those 3 remaining games.

Stats and records would be completely pointless as no one would be able to achieve the level of production they have from a 12 game season.

With 16 playoff games which do you televise? When do you play them? Who gets prime time consideration?

Again....a resounding NO....
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
PHillysPHinest2


Joined: 06 Jan 2008
Posts: 2027
Location: Albuquerque, NM, The Land of Enchantment
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ViolentMonk71 wrote:
Ummm no.....I think this is a horrible idea.

Most team would treat the regular season as a tune up, protecting their best players in hoping to make a strong playoff run.

Teams that lost in the first round (half of the NFL) would only end up playing 13 games losing the revenue they would have earned from those 3 remaining games.

Stats and records would be completely pointless as no one would be able to achieve the level of production they have from a 12 game season.

With 16 playoff games which do you televise? When do you play them? Who gets prime time consideration?

Again....a resounding NO....


Those are semantics not real reasons sir. Those are all easily worked around. They manage to get the NCAA tournament on, you can watch every single game if you chose to.

And I don't like the NFL playoff system because bye weeks are stuuuuupid. Why have them in the playoffs? They really don't end up helping you as much as they hurt you.

And the reason I included a regular season is because I would prefer just an all out tournament, but then there would only be about 5 games unless you did it over again. This is honestly the best way to find out which team is really the best. Our current system is basically who has the best depth and/or who got lucky. The reason the regular season is important in this hypothetical situation is exactly what the quoted poster above just said. Money. The teams who advance make the most money. So teams are playing for revenue, players would get huge bonuses and/or the majority of their contract secured in the playoffs so their motivation to move on is the same as everyone else. There is nothiing more American than a blood sport played for financial gain. Everyone loves that.
_________________


Kiltman is the Ill(est) man
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
stallyns


Global Moderator
FF Fanatic
Joined: 02 Dec 2004
Posts: 23729
Location: 414
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PHillysPHinest2 wrote:
This is honestly the best way to find out which team is really the best. Our current system is basically who has the best depth and/or who got lucky. The reason the regular season is important in this hypothetical situation is exactly what the quoted poster above just said. Money. The teams who advance make the most money. So teams are playing for revenue, players would get huge bonuses and/or the majority of their contract secured in the playoffs so their motivation to move on is the same as everyone else. There is nothiing more American than a blood sport played for financial gain. Everyone loves that.
The amount of money made in the playoffs in your scenario doesn't justify the loses each team suffers by less regular season games. Also the NFL would have to void their current TV contracts and renegotiate. I don't see the league or any team for that matter making more money in your scenario
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Flaccomania


Joined: 12 Aug 2008
Posts: 22114
Location: Parkville, MD
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only thing I would even consider to be an option to look into would be to change the fact that a division winner automatically gets a home game. But really, the argument against it is that a team could play in a weak division, win it with a bad record, and get a home game against a team that has a much better record. But then the flip side is that a team could play in a very competitive division, finish with a worse record than a team in a very easy division (but didn't win it) and have to go on the road.

So, honestly, I think the format is perfect as it is.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ViolentMonk71


Joined: 06 May 2005
Posts: 3766
Location: Don Shula's front porch
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PHillysPHinest2 wrote:
ViolentMonk71 wrote:
Ummm no.....I think this is a horrible idea.

Most team would treat the regular season as a tune up, protecting their best players in hoping to make a strong playoff run.

Teams that lost in the first round (half of the NFL) would only end up playing 13 games losing the revenue they would have earned from those 3 remaining games.

Stats and records would be completely pointless as no one would be able to achieve the level of production they have from a 12 game season.

With 16 playoff games which do you televise? When do you play them? Who gets prime time consideration?

Again....a resounding NO....


Those are semantics not real reasons sir. Those are all easily worked around. They manage to get the NCAA tournament on, you can watch every single game if you chose to.

And I don't like the NFL playoff system because bye weeks are stuuuuupid. Why have them in the playoffs? They really don't end up helping you as much as they hurt you.

And the reason I included a regular season is because I would prefer just an all out tournament, but then there would only be about 5 games unless you did it over again. This is honestly the best way to find out which team is really the best. Our current system is basically who has the best depth and/or who got lucky. The reason the regular season is important in this hypothetical situation is exactly what the quoted poster above just said. Money. The teams who advance make the most money. So teams are playing for revenue, players would get huge bonuses and/or the majority of their contract secured in the playoffs so their motivation to move on is the same as everyone else. There is nothiing more American than a blood sport played for financial gain. Everyone loves that.


How are they easily "worked around"? Explain how you would show every "first round" playoff game? 16 games....even if you used Saturday and played 3 games a day you still need to figure out how the other 10 games get televised.

Why include horrible teams? Who really wants to watch a games between the NFL's best team and worst team? And, why reward a team that won 1 or 2 games with a playoff game?

Teams are playing for revenue? Teams already do that in the playoff's and now teams get 8 home game to generate revenue.

Basically your system is designed to make sure teams in small markets who perform badly stay that way. In a 12 game season they only get 6 homes games, they will not get a home playoff game so in your system about half of the NFL will lose about 25% of their stadium revenue, TV contracts will have to be completely reworked in in the negative....less total games being played. Also lets be honest most of those proposed 1st round playoff games will not be good at all.

Your system is perhaps one of the worst I have ever seen proposed for the NFL....like others have suggested....if you don't like the bye weeks, just add two more Wild-card teams.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
sp6488


Joined: 14 Mar 2005
Posts: 8610
Location: MD
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stallyns wrote:
ArrowheadRage58 wrote:
stallyns wrote:
Not liking the idea, but the real question is "What is flawed with the current playoff system?'


They give 4 teams home field advantage AND a bye. While leaving perfectly capable teams out of the mix nearly every year. Teams that usually have the same record as teams who DO make it, teams that tie for their division title, teams that win 10 games, teams that win 8 or 9 games with a brutal schedule are left out for 10 win teams with easy schedule.

You can't include every team, but atleast eliminate the bye.

12 teams out of 32 (37.5%) make the playoffs. The only league with a smaller percentage of playoff teams is the MLB (33%). I'd hate for the NFL to allow 50%+ like NHL or NBA

I don't see the bye as a negative. The only way to get rid of the bye is to:
A ) Add 2 more Wild Cards to each conference
B ) Eliminate the Wild Cards altogether
I don't think either option is acceptable.

As far as trying to say that 8 or 9 win teams are worthy to make the playoffs because their schedule was tough? I'm not buying that as a legitimate gripe.


Ding ding...

I think the divisional format clears up the SOS issue pretty nicely in that if you are a 9 win team, but were able to win your division, then you make it. If you can't win your division but are a good team, then take a WC spot.

More to your point of "they had a hard schedule," generally this argument is constructed on how many playoff teams they had to face. This argument is silly in the first place because by virtue of not winning your division, you automatically face two additional playoff teams (winner twice). Conversely, people talk about playoff teams having an easier schedule. Well, when you win your own division, that automatically makes you play two less games against playoff teams than the bottom dweller of a division.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL General All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group