Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Ed Reed will return for another season.
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
canucks9314

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:52 pm    Post subject: Ed Reed will return for another season. Reply with quote

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/ravens-insider/bal-ravens-safety-ed-reed-not-planning-to-retire-after-season-20130124,0,4425577.story

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meh, I still think it's up in the air. Even if he were thinking about retiring, he wouldn't steal the spotlight from Ray.

But if he does want to stay, I would think the Ravens let him test the FA waters. He really dropped off this past season, and likely won't want simply a modest contract. I'm sure we'd like to keep him at the right price, but aren't going to overpay just because he's Ed Reed.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flaccomania wrote:
Meh, I still think it's up in the air. Even if he were thinking about retiring, he wouldn't steal the spotlight from Ray.

But if he does want to stay, I would think the Ravens let him test the FA waters. He really dropped off this past season, and likely won't want simply a modest contract. I'm sure we'd like to keep him at the right price, but aren't going to overpay just because he's Ed Reed.

Has he been injured or just old age?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Replacing both Lewis and Reed in one offseason isn't easy, even if their play has dropped off. If Ed had this in mind, good for him.

james.mcmurry13 wrote:
Yeah, [Mike] Wallace would be like 4th fastest on the Raiders.
TheVillain112

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How I feel as a Bengals fan reading this news:

GaTechRavens

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheVillain112 wrote:

He won't be playing for us.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good. He is still a playmaker and I think at his age we'll be the best offer and get him back.

SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
1/10. Not a fan[of C.J. Mosley]. Just another future failed Alabama product.
TomRalph

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's gonna be a Pat.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

canucks9314 wrote:
Flaccomania wrote:

Combination of both.

BlaqOptic wrote:
I'd say he's [Dennis Pitta] the fourth best TE in the division... Cameron > Miller > Gresham > Eiffert = Pitta
Flaccomania

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

canucks9314 wrote:
Flaccomania wrote:

Both. He has his neck injury which he's been dealing with for years now, and then he had some shoulder injury (IIRC) that's been nagging him which affects his tackling, or lackthereof.

His age has caught up to him a bit in that when he gambles, he can't recover as quickly. More times than I want to remember this season he was a step or two late in getting over to a guy because he thought he read something different. There was another game not too long ago, might have been the Giants game, where Ed was assigned a gap at the goal line, but bounced outside because he thought he saw something and the RB had a free ride to the endzone. He came off the field angry at himself and from the replays you could see him at that hole, but then jumping elsewhere leaving it exposed.

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reminder: If you're going to start up a thread, just posting a link is not what we want. Provide a link, 1-2 lines from the story, as well as YOUR view on the topic at hand.

Thanks. Very Happy

- ET

iPwn, Kempes and Flaccomania: The official sig makers for THE ET80!
BaltimoreTerp

Most Valuable Poster (4th Ballot)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomRalph wrote:
He's gonna be a Pat.
If we lose in the SB, maybe. But New England is used to taking in ring-chasers on the cheap, and if Ed leaves Baltimore it's going to be because he's looking to get paid; I don't know how much New England is going to be willing to pony up.

Still not completely convinced that if we win the SB he doesn't call it quits, but if he does come back and does leave Baltimore, I think the leader in the clubhouse will be the Colts with the Pagano connection. Saints and Pats are the other two teams I could see him signing with.

It's going to really suck seeing him in another uniform if that's what it comes down to. Him in a Pats uniform would be mortifying. Personally, I think his reputation and corresponding ability to take away the deep ball is a huge value in itself even if he's not picking off a lot of balls, and that we should try to find the room to bring him back if he doesn't retire, but a lot of that hinges on what Joe's cap number looks like.

Location: "Are you hungry, child?" Yes, she thought, but not for food.
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surprised. Thought he would retire for soon.

"Do you imagine Whoresbane loves you any better? If you did not hold the ..., he would pull out your entrails and make you eat them"
"In return, we swore that we should always be their men"
sp6488

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GaTechRavens wrote:
TheVillain112 wrote:

He won't be playing for us.

I don't think that's for certain at all. I could definitely see us giving him a better deal than anyone else would be willing to offer, especially since that would still likely make his cap number go DOWN next season.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would hate to see Ed Reed in anything but purple and black. But as far as potential suitors go, he would be great for a team with a talented secondary but an open spot at safety. The Cowboys for example. Reed's great at coaching up secondary players.

NextBigThing wrote:
I am a Patriots fan, I know all about excellence.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: