Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2013 Dallas 4th rounder with trades and offseason moves

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trapt32

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:08 pm    Post subject: 2013 Dallas 4th rounder with trades and offseason moves Reply with quote

So it looks like Dallas will be approx $18.2 mill OVER...here is what I think we should do and could fix some major problems

Cuts:
Ratliff DT
F. Jones RB
Ogletree WR
Phillips TE
Free OT
Dockery OG
Coleman DE
Jenkins CB

Trade
Spears to anybody for a 6th rounder
Austin to anybody for a 5th rounder

Sign:
L Vasquez OG from Chargers
J. Simpson WR from Minn
P. Loadholt OT from Minn
G. Jennings WR from GB
Osi Umenyiora DE from NYG
Cliff Avril DE from Lions
Josh Cribbs WR from Cleveland

Draft
1st round #18 traded to Seattle for #25, #87, #120
#25 J. Cooper OG UNC
#47 Eric Reid S LSU
#80 B. Williams OT UNC
#87 T. Mathieu CB LSU
#111 K. Stills QB OU
#120 M. Ball RB Wisc

that gets you through the 4th round let me know what you think...
Duffman57

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wrong forum, but doubt the Chargers let Vasquez get away, he's the only one thats even half decent on our OL other than hardwick maybe.

Bolt Up Comrades!

MrDrew wrote:
Everything about Rivers is Awkward, reminiscent of a Giraffe with Down's Syndrome
Acgott

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cowboys must have a ton of cap room to sign all those expensive players

Last edited by Acgott on Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bailey134

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You do realize if the Cowboys trade Spears and Austin that they still have to pay them their remaining signing bonus. There is no way they get far enough under the cap to sign all those players.

Made by BigBadLion20

Favorite Teams
NFL- Dallas Cowboys
NCAA- Ohio State
NBA- Phoenix Suns
MLB- Yankees
green24

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Webmaster wrote:
Can I post a mock draft for just my team or only the top ten picks?
Please only post complete mock drafts (at least one round) in the mock draft forum and use the team forums to post team specific mocks.

GeneralDissaray

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"7 round mock" with only 4 rounds. Fail.
Testing your cap skills in Madden...Cut almost everyone, Trade some, Sign everyone. Fail.

That would be sweet, though. We could draft all those players, and then have to release them, because we had no cap to sign them.
Football Mensa

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There aren't any dt's in your mock draft or free agency. I hope we don't restructure too many contracts to sign free agents. We need to clean this up and build through the draft.
Dboys88-82

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trapt32

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

first: my bad on the posting only being 4 rounds,
second: I thought this was a mock draft forum...shouldn't matter how much or how little
third: according to a posting I read on Bleacher Report none of the above players that I suggested we sign should be costly
fourth: there isn't a DT in the draft early that would drop to us or be worth an early pick..
fifth: as for spears and austin....cut them
sixth: no this isn't madden..it is simply based on assessments that I have read over the past few months
Desperado82

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trapt32 wrote:
second: I thought this was a mock draft forum...shouldn't matter how much or how little
third: according to a posting I read on Bleacher Report none of the above players that I suggested we sign should be costly
fourth: there isn't a DT in the draft early that would drop to us or be worth an early pick..
sixth: no this isn't madden..it is simply based on assessments that I have read over the past few months

Trapt, welcome to the forum. Please take a moment to read the "rulebook" if you already haven't here

While the website is more geared to draft talk, hence the "Football's Future" title, the Mock Draft forum (which I imagine is where you initially posted this before another mod moved it here), is for drafts projecting the picks of all 32 teams. Team-specific mocks, which you posted, should go in whichever team forum the mock is based on.

I disagree that there isn't a DT worthy of the 18th overall pick. I think any one of Sharrif Floyd (Florida), Johnathan Hankins (Ohio State), John Jenkins (UGA), or Kawann Short (Purdue) could be potential candidates for our pick.

Spears does appear to be a candidate to be cut, but I don't believe Austin is a realistic candidate. I'm unsure of his exact cap numbers, but I don't believe it's realistic to cut him right now given how far over the cap we are. I think we would be stuck with more dead money than we would save.

I like your draft, but most of your free agent signings just aren't realistic. Vasquez, Jennings, Cribbs and Avril will all command more money than we can likely afford to give them. I like Loadholt, but he'll likely be re-signed by Minnesota who should have enough cap space to lock him up. I don't know that Umenyiora would come here, and he is another who could receive a larger contract from another team.

Jones, Ogletree, Phillips, Dockery, Coleman and Jenkins are all UFA...so letting them go really won't free up any additional cap space for us. Depending on what we designate Ratliff, he would only save us anywhere from $1M-$5M. Everything I have read points to us keeping him on, for now. Free is another player who has an unknown future with the team, so he could very well be cut.

^^^mack
Dboys88-82

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trapt32 wrote:

Hey man welcome to the forum. I hope you become a regular poster who can provide valuable input to the conversations here. Just a couple suggestions to help you fit in:

1st--even if somehow this all worked out cap wise somehow, its highly unrealistic. Most people on here try to make realistic mock drafts, and sorry i dont think theres anyone on this forum that will view this realistic.

2nd--i wouldnt go into reading bleacherreport too much. They are unreliable, and full of unrealistic ideas, or are just plain and simple false reports. Many of us tend to stick to some basic websites: dallascowboys.com, bloggingtheboys.com, walterfootball.com, rotoworld.com, and of course many of us follow many reliable sources on twitter.

Some other websites can be found here: http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=91994&start=0
GeneralDissaray

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trapt32 wrote:

Sorry, I don't pay attention to number of posts, or I would have realized you were new to the forum. I thought you were from another team's forum. That said, welcome to the forum. Here's a sight that has the contract details of each player.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/dallas-cowboys/miles-austin/

This one's for Miles Austin, but if you click in the drop down box, you can switch to any of the team's players.

In case you didn't know, 2013 cap hit is determined first totaling the cap number for 2013(2013 Salary + Bonus). If we cut/trade a player, the bonus money is accelerated and counts against the cap, but unless the salary is guaranteed it does not count if cut/trade. For example,

Miles Austin: 2013 Cap Number = 6.73 Salary + 1.57 Bonus = Approx. 8.3mil.
Austin has bonuses for 1.57 in 2013-2015.
Therefore, 2013 Cap Number(8.3mil) - Acc. Bonus 4.71 (3*1.57) = 3.6mil cap savings.

Yes. Austin would save us cap room, but not enough to bring in a quality replacement.

I also noticed in your cuts you have a few guys like Jenkins, Jones, Ogletree, and Phillips. They are free agents, so they have no cap hit or savings.
Football Mensa

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GeneralDissaray wrote:
Trapt32 wrote:

Sorry, I don't pay attention to number of posts, or I would have realized you were new to the forum. I thought you were from another team's forum. That said, welcome to the forum. Here's a sight that has the contract details of each player.

This one's for Miles Austin, but if you click in the drop down box, you can switch to any of the team's players.

In case you didn't know, 2013 cap hit is determined first totaling the cap number for 2013(2013 Salary + Bonus). If we cut/trade a player, the bonus money is accelerated and counts against the cap, but unless the salary is guaranteed it does not count if cut/trade. For example,

Therefore, 2013 Cap Number(8.3mil) - Acc. Bonus 4.71 (3*1.57) = 3.6mil cap savings.

Yes. Austin would save us cap room, but not enough to bring in a quality replacement.

I also noticed in your cuts you have a few guys like Jenkins, Jones, Ogletree, and Phillips. They are free agents, so they have no cap hit or savings.

General I would try and trade Austin to see what we could get. I don't think he would bring more than a 4th. He stands on the sidelines too much for my taste. I don't believe it would be too difficult to replace him. If he isn't playing he isn't useful and his hammys are always a problem.
GeneralDissaray

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Football Mensa wrote:
GeneralDissaray wrote:
Trapt32 wrote:

General I would try and trade Austin to see what we could get. I don't think he would bring more than a 4th. He stands on the sidelines too much for my taste. I don't believe it would be too difficult to replace him. If he isn't playing he isn't useful and his hammys are always a problem.

I think his stock is too low to trade right now, due to the injuries. We have him for 3 more years. I'd rather hope he is healthy for the start of the season, and has a hot streak, then look to trade him. He still is a big fast WR that's only 28, and had an almost 1000yard season with Witten and Bryant on the team. The problem is that I don't think Jerry understands when to sell high, and if we are trying to win now, it doesn't make sense to get rid of a weapon.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: