Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

NFC West Rivalry: Friend or Foe?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> St. Louis Rams
View previous topic :: View next topic  

When your team is out of the equation; do you root for or against your NFC West Rivals?
Root for them
37%
 37%  [ 6 ]
Root against them
62%
 62%  [ 10 ]
Total Votes : 16

SFaithful97

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:14 pm    Post subject: NFC West Rivalry: Friend or Foe? Reply with quote

When your team is out of playoff contention (meaning the playoffs are underway, and your team is eliminated or didn't qualify), do you root for or against your division rivals? I have always had more hatred for the Cowboys and the Falcons than I have for say the Cardinals. More than that, I take the term "representing the NFC west" in its literal meaning. I feel that anything that gets some recognition for a team not in NY, Dallas, etc is a good thing. I rooted for the Hawks (my most hated division rival) against the Steelers as well as the Cards against the Steelers a few years later.

I equate it to my own experience in sports. I tried out for the olympics some years back, but ended up the alternate (never made the team). Even though the guys who I competed with to make the tournament beat me, I still rooted for them to do well so as to make my status as their runner up feel like less of a failure. Also I guess if they won, I knew for sure I wouldn't have been able to do better myself.

I suppose I am just curious how the fans of the NFC West feel about this question. Fire away.

MAC DRE wrote:
I'd rather have young Wagner and Wright going forward than Willis and Bowman.
STLRamsFan99

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: NFC West Rivalry: Friend or Foe? Reply with quote

SFaithful97 wrote:
When your team is out of playoff contention (meaning the playoffs are underway, and your team is eliminated or didn't qualify), do you root for or against your division rivals? I have always had more hatred for the Cowboys and the Falcons than I have for say the Cardinals. More than that, I take the term "representing the NFC west" in its literal meaning. I feel that anything that gets some recognition for a team not in NY, Dallas, etc is a good thing. I rooted for the Hawks (my most hated division rival) against the Steelers as well as the Cards against the Steelers a few years later.

I equate it to my own experience in sports. I tried out for the olympics some years back, but ended up the alternate (never made the team). Even though the guys who I competed with to make the tournament beat me, I still rooted for them to do well so as to make my status as their runner up feel like less of a failure. Also I guess if they won, I knew for sure I wouldn't have been able to do better myself.

I suppose I am just curious how the fans of the NFC West feel about this question. Fire away.

Olympics is different though I would think, not rooting for them means not cheering for other Americans. I just never root for the Seahawks or 49ers, just hate the teams. I don't hate particular players or anything on the teams though. I hate Pete Carroll which is my only exception though.
81_80_39_28_10

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In that situation I root for them. I was actually hoping for a Hawks vs. 9ers NFC Championship game.

Thanks Lionsmack for the sig!
SFaithful97

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not in response to anything said here, but in the AZ forum people mentioned they want Boldin to get a ring so they are rooting for the Ravens.

Just to be clear, this was not about the upcoming SB. Lets rephrase. If you hypothetically had no pre-existing rooting interest for a player on either side how would you side? In a bubble, for the NFC West or against your teams division rival? That was the question I was curious about.

MAC DRE wrote:
STLRamsFan99

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SFaithful97 wrote:
Not in response to anything said here, but in the AZ forum people mentioned they want Boldin to get a ring so they are rooting for the Ravens.

Just to be clear, this was not about the upcoming SB. Lets rephrase. If you hypothetically had no pre-existing rooting interest for a player on either side how would you side? In a bubble, for the NFC West or against your teams division rival? That was the question I was curious about.

I root against them.
Brodie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it was the Hawks or Cardinals I would for them to win. I live in the bay and HATE niner fans.

Adopt-A-Ram

Alec Ogeltree 109 combinded tackles, 1.5 sacks, 6 FF, 10 stuffs, 9 PD, 1 Int 1td.
Flatlyner

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I root against them. 9ers and hawks are our most heated rivals and I can't see an scenerio in which I would hope they win. Strangely, as I can easily root for PAC12 teams, even if they are not USC, to see the PAC12 do good, but its something different in the NFL for me at least.
Lamarcus Joyner
Tre Mason
SFaithful97

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flatlyner wrote:
I root against them. 9ers and hawks are our most heated rivals and I can't see an scenerio in which I would hope they win. Strangely, as I can easily root for PAC12 teams, even if they are not USC, to see the PAC12 do good, but its something different in the NFL for me at least.
Nice, I am a SC fan too. I see that a lot actually especially with college. Unless it is a big rival (USC/UCLA, Cal/Stanford, Texas/OU, etc.) most people root for the conference in college, but it goes out the window in pro sports sometimes. Just a curious thing.

MAC DRE wrote:
STLRamsFan99

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SFaithful97 wrote:
Flatlyner wrote:
Nice, I am a SC fan too. I see that a lot actually especially with college. Unless it is a big rival (USC/UCLA, Cal/Stanford, Texas/OU, etc.) most people root for the conference in college, but it goes out the window in pro sports sometimes. Just a curious thing.

Only when a member of our division plays the Patriots is the only time I root for 49ers, Seahawks, and Cardinals, but that is because they are cheaters.
The J.R.S.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Root against them. This isn't college football friend.

Real sports fans do not condone ESPN.
S-jax39

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate you guys.
neezy007

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

STLRamsFan99 wrote:
SFaithful97 wrote:
Flatlyner wrote:

Only when a member of our division plays the Patriots is the only time I root for 49ers, Seahawks, and Cardinals, but that is because they are cheaters.

I have this approach as well. The chickens are cheaters too and I hate them so passionately that I root for a tie.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> St. Louis Rams All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: