Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Saints fire DC Steve Spagnoulo
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tbperk

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

3-4 DC's with experience:
Romeo Crennel
Eric Mangini

3-4 position coaches that are going to get a shot a DC soon (IMO)

Kevin Greene - GB LB coach
Darren Perry - GB DB coach
Bill Kollar - Texans DL coach
Reggie Herring - Texans LB coach
Mike Singletary - Vickings LB coach
Pepper Johnson - NE LB coach
Keith Butler - Steelers LB coach
Ted Monachino - Ravens LB coach
Teryl Austin - Ravens DB coach
101stSaintsFan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

steelcurtain29 wrote:
I don't get the 3-4 switch without a quality DC for the scheme. Should have gotten Ryan before he went to St. Louis.

I like it with their personnel on defense. Martez Wilson will be an interesting OLB with his speed. Cam Jordan is going to excel immensely. I liked him as a LDE in a 4-3, but as a 3-4 RDE, I think he'll be an elite player.

I guess this means Vilma is done? Lord knows he was average-at-best in a 3-4.

No thanks on Ryan. He had a good DL, solid CBs and demarcus ware and he never wowed me. we have even less talent on paper so him coming here isn't something that I want.

Wilson is good and I think he will excel, but the player I think that is going to really go into beast mode is Junior Gallette. He is a freak physically.

2014 Adopt a Saint:

Khiry Robinson

Keenan Lewis
The LBC

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

101stSaintsFan wrote:
steelcurtain29 wrote:
I don't get the 3-4 switch without a quality DC for the scheme. Should have gotten Ryan before he went to St. Louis.

I like it with their personnel on defense. Martez Wilson will be an interesting OLB with his speed. Cam Jordan is going to excel immensely. I liked him as a LDE in a 4-3, but as a 3-4 RDE, I think he'll be an elite player.

I guess this means Vilma is done? Lord knows he was average-at-best in a 3-4.

No thanks on Ryan. He had a good DL, solid CBs and demarcus ware and he never wowed me. we have even less talent on paper so him coming here isn't something that I want.

Wilson is good and I think he will excel, but the player I think that is going to really go into beast mode is Junior Gallette. He is a freak physically.

Granted a good coordinator can mostly make it work, but just being a freak physical athlete does not automatically a productive 3-4 OLB make? Vernon Gholston ring any bells?

Also, I'm still not sold on Brodrick Bunkley as a 3-4 nose. Yes he played NT in Denver - the same year they switched back from the 3-4 to the 4-3, Bunkley had very little if any run as a 0-Tech. He might be passably as a pass-rushing 1-gapper, but that's about it. Would not be shocked in the least to see NT at the top of the Saints' list of needs - unless they opt to kick Hicks inside (as a 1-gapping NT I could see it - not unlike Jay Ratliff or Jamal Williams were).

Also, another coach that I wouldn't be shocked to see get a look is Jim Tomsula.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cam Jordan was a highly coveted 3-4 DE coming out of college. There was even talk he could potentially play the nose. Obviously he lacks the size to be a NT but I see no reason he will not be a viable above average starter at DE. They need a star edge rusher, but there isn't a defense in the NFL that ever didn't want another pass rusher.

Historically teams that make the switch have a good first year in the new system and with how they finished last season I am sure that trend will continue. Denver had a horrid defense for a few years and changed systems and it just clicked into place. Are the Saints going to be the only team in the NFC South running the 3-4?

EverythingSF wrote:
But I do feel Alex is better than Rivers and we may as well not even argue over it here because I am pretty sure neither will change the others mind.
THRILLHO

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The LBC wrote:

Also, I'm still not sold on Brodrick Bunkley as a 3-4 nose. Yes he played NT in Denver - the same year they switched back from the 3-4 to the 4-3, Bunkley had very little if any run as a 0-Tech. He might be passably as a pass-rushing 1-gapper, but that's about it. Would not be shocked in the least to see NT at the top of the Saints' list of needs - unless they opt to kick Hicks inside (as a 1-gapping NT I could see it - not unlike Jay Ratliff or Jamal Williams were).

Agreed 100%. And while I have high hopes for Hicks, the Saints don't want to go into the season with someone as inexperienced as him as their starting NT. I'm hoping that they can lure Aubrayo Franklin back on a one year deal while seeing what they have in both Hicks and Bunkley (at both the 0 and 5 techs). That would allow them to focus on Jordan/Mingo/Ansah, as they desperately need someone that can get after the QB. With a few things going their way, the Saints may be playing like a mediocre defense by the end of the season, which is all they need to be a legit SB contender.

FREE AT LAST!! CHAVIS AND ORGERON YAW YAW YAW!!
The LBC

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

THRILLHO wrote:
The LBC wrote:

Agreed 100%. And while I have high hopes for Hicks, the Saints don't want to go into the season with someone as inexperienced as him as their starting NT. I'm hoping that they can lure Aubrayo Franklin back on a one year deal while seeing what they have in both Hicks and Bunkley (at both the 0 and 5 techs). That would allow them to focus on Jordan/Mingo/Ansah, as they desperately need someone that can get after the QB. With a few things going their way, the Saints may be playing like a mediocre defense by the end of the season, which is all they need to be a legit SB contender.

We may be fighting you tooth and nail for Franklin.

Typically most rookie 3-4 NT's don't see much early success for the simple reason that the strength gap is too much to make up, particularly while playing a position that requires facing double and sometimes triple-teams on a consistent basis. Jesse Williams may be an exception to the rule, given that his strength looks to be off the charts and his rugby background (along with playing the nose in Bama's 3-4) gives him experience holding and driving the point at the center of a line. Most of the guys who are or recently were dominant 3-4 NT's initially saw action at the 5-Technique spot as rookies while they acclimated to size/strength differential between college and the pro's (Raji, Wilfork, Hampton).

If he doesn't re-up with Detroit (and you'd have the advantage of at least offering him starter's minutes), Sammie Lee Hill could be an option as a guy who could anchor the nose. Terrance Knighton's another option. And if the Niners don't re-up him, though I'd imagine they'd have interest, Ricky Jean-Francois is a decent stop-gap option as well. I know cap space is a little tight for you guys (not terribly, but somewhat), but there are probably guys out there who could be had on a 1- or 2-year "show me" deal" who are still young enough that they'd bite, even if they aren't coming off the most impressive of seasons.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I read, Ted Donatell is getting heavy consideration.

But would he do it in a Sharknado?
tylerdouglass

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fans have been calling for a 3-4 since we acquired Cam and Martez.

Glad to see it's finally happening!

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Location: "Are you hungry, child?" Yes, she thought, but not for food.
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jrry32 wrote:

Ed Donatell* Wink

He was a 4-3 Coach, but the 2 years with SF and the 2 years under Mike Nolan might made him into a 3-4 guy.

A little odd to say they're going 3-4 before hiring a DC.

"Do you imagine Whoresbane loves you any better? If you did not hold the ..., he would pull out your entrails and make you eat them"
"In return, we swore that we should always be their men"
ninjapirate

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RainbowCarebear wrote:
jrry32 wrote:

Ed Donatell* Wink

He was a 4-3 Coach, but the 2 years with SF and the 2 years under Mike Nolan might made him into a 3-4 guy.

A little odd to say they're going 3-4 before hiring a DC.

Eagles are supposedly going to a 3-4 without a coordinator in place too.

Thanks Kilty
RainbowCarebear wrote:
Was the dog eating the child?
Porter22

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is just great news for saints fans! Interesting to see how Lofton will play in a 3-4, but IRC he played in a 3-4 in Oklahoma, didn't he?
fsubrowns9510

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man. This guy has had a hell of past few years huh?

Jeesh.

Browns Forum HOF Member Class of 2011
Spiel612

Most Valuable Poster (7th Ballot)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the Parcells connection, Mangini or Crennel would seem like the obvious choice.

Both would be outstanding fits. Mangini has never been a DC, but he called plays for the Jets defense second half of the 07 season and we were 1000 times better for it.
Harper41

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spiel612 wrote:
With the Parcells connection, Mangini or Crennel would seem like the obvious choice.

Both would be outstanding fits. Mangini has never been a DC, but he called plays for the Jets defense second half of the 07 season and we were 1000 times better for it.

I'd love Mangini as our DC

RTR
#Keepitonehunna
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
Thought someone broke into my house.
Jumped out of bed (left my brother)
mlv

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why do some people think Spags is going to Philly? I'll give you two reasons he's not:

1) He worked under the old Eagles regime (Reid, Jim Johnson, Banner) - he's got no connection with the new Philly regime, and

2) If Saints fans said their personnel was better suited to the 3-4 last year, but Spags stubbornly stuck with the 4-3, why would Eagles going to hire him when they are supposed to be switching to a 3-4?

No idea where he lands, but it won't be with Philly, and it won't be with the Giants, either, even though he's a better DC than Perry Fool.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8

Jump to: