Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Bengals sign former Bills, Jets LB Aaron Maybin
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic :: View next topic  
CantStop85.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D.Revis24 wrote:
theJ wrote:
Trentwannabe wrote:
I'd like to say maybe Maybin can turn it around finally, but he was suppose to do that with the Jets. people said if anyone can get the most out of him Its Rex. Now they say the same for Zimmer. My guess is, unless there are a tonne of injuries where you need him for depth, Maybin won't be on the opening day roster.

Well, Rex isn't really known for turning players around. He got the most out of a couple teams, but doesn't recycle players well.

Zimmer has been instrumental in turning around the careers of: Adam Jones, Terrence Newman, Reggie Nelson, Chris Crocker, and probably a few more that i'm forgetting. He also got useful time out of Manny Lawson, Thomas Howard, Vontaze Burfict, Tank Johnson and Jamaal Anderson.

But, i understand the skepticism. I too am skeptical. They've missed on some guys too that were brought in under similar circumstances. So we'll just have to wait and see how this particular instance turns out.

How did Zimmer turn around the careers of Adam Jones, Terrence Newman, and Chris Crocker? And Manny Lawson, Thomas Howard, and Jamaal Anderson barely played with the Bengals so idk about useful minutes. At least with Anderson hes only played in 2 games with the Bengals and is still a bust. Howard didn't play last season and he was no better than he used to be with the Bengals. Manny Lawson is nothing special.

Vontaze Burfict was a talented player who had to be straighten out.

Adam Jones, besides the off-the-field issues, was seen as a very average corner by the time he got to Dallas. Add in the fact that he was out of football another year afterwards and it's doubtful that many people thought he would be a starting-quality NFL corner.

Terrence Newman was 34 years old and by all accounts washed up, but turned out to be a quality starter this year.

Chris Crocker was a scrap heap player when the Bengals picked him up and he has since been an impact starter for ~5 years on some pretty quality Cincinnati defenses.

After the Raiders gave up on him, Thomas Howard led the Bengals in tackles in 2011 and was their best linebacker heading into this season before he suffered the injury.

Manny Lawson is nothing special. He's a serviceable starter; pretty much the same as he was in San Francisco.

Then you add in the drafted (or undrafted) guys like Carlos Dunlap, Michael Johnson and Vontaze Burfict who were admittedly talented but lacking in effort or attitude. Each of them are now playing at a high level.

Also, he hasn't been mentioned, but Reggie Nelson might be the most impressive reclamation project to date. He looks nothing like the guy who played in Jacksonville.

This isn't to say that Mike Zimmer is the sole reason that some of these players have made a turnaround, but he has certainly been a contributing factor. And of course there will be misses as well (Taylor Mays, Derrick Harvey, etc.)
theJ

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CantStop85. wrote:
Adam Jones, besides the off-the-field issues, was seen as a very average corner by the time he got to Dallas. Add in the fact that he was out of football another year afterwards and it's doubtful that many people thought he would be a starting-quality NFL corner.

Terrence Newman was 34 years old and by all accounts washed up, but turned out to be a quality starter this year.

Chris Crocker was a scrap heap player when the Bengals picked him up and he has since been an impact starter for ~5 years on some pretty quality Cincinnati defenses.

After the Raiders gave up on him, Thomas Howard led the Bengals in tackles in 2011 and was their best linebacker heading into this season before he suffered the injury.

Manny Lawson is nothing special. He's a serviceable starter; pretty much the same as he was in San Francisco.

Then you add in the drafted (or undrafted) guys like Carlos Dunlap, Michael Johnson and Vontaze Burfict who were admittedly talented but lacking in effort or attitude. Each of them are now playing at a high level.

Also, he hasn't been mentioned, but Reggie Nelson might be the most impressive reclamation project to date. He looks nothing like the guy who played in Jacksonville.

This isn't to say that Mike Zimmer is the sole reason that some of these players have made a turnaround, but he has certainly been a contributing factor. And of course there will be misses as well (Taylor Mays, Derrick Harvey, etc.)

I did mention Nelson in my post, but i forgive you because you got my back jack. Very Happy

CS85 pretty much said it all. And if you don't believe what CS85 wrote, then you must think the Bengals defense has been pretty bad...because those are all starters and key contributors. And we all know the Bengals defense has been very good the last 2 seasons.

Don't follow your passion, take your passion with you.
TheVillain112

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D.Revis24 wrote:
How did Zimmer turn around the careers of Adam Jones, Terrence Newman, and Chris Crocker?

Regarding Adam Jones:

Quote:
"I respect Zim; he's a father figure," Jones said. "Last year, those things you don't want to happen. I'm going to do whatever it is in my willpower to make sure that we don't get into that situation ever again.

"I was horrible in Dallas and the coaching was horrible, too; from the top down," Jones said. "Zim is a demanding guy. He's a technique guy and with me being a raw athlete, that's the type of guy I need around me. The Zimmers, the Marvin Lewises, the guys that keep you grounded, that keep you in shape. Some guys get comfortable and let your technique lapse. These guys stay on you."

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Notes-Adam-Jones-thanks-Zimmer-and-Lewis-Whit-wants-no-aid-Awards-pile-up/067b88b8-ca32-4641-9b2b-3f92127c8476

If you watched Adam Jones during the 2011 season, you can see he wasn't disciplined and his technique lapsed. The double move Andre Johnson put on him in the playoffs was a great indication of that. Zimmer worked Jones hard and wouldn't give him playing time until he played defense the way he wanted. The results were how well Adam Jones played this season.

Similar story with Terrance Newman. When Newman arrived Zimmer told him his technique in Dallas was crap. He got him to start challenging passes more and playing with more confidence which lead to him playing lights out down the stretch last season...
Bednarik60

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

come back player of the year 2014 Shocked

Sig/Art by The Great Silo
#championCHIP #CHIPlife #Sparkles

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: