Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

NFL Draft Stories - What Could Have Been
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TomRalph

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:42 pm    Post subject: NFL Draft Stories - What Could Have Been Reply with quote

I don't know if I'm the only one, but I absolutely love hearing about stories from the NFL Draft such as when a team may have been looking to draft a player but was quickly traded in front of, or a player was reached for because of rumours that another team was going to take that player.

For example, in the 2010, the Patriots traded up to the 42nd pick or order to draft Rob Gronkowski with the idea that the Ravens - who picked 43rd - were going to select him. The Ravens then took Sergio Kindle. Clearly the Ravens were looking to draft a TE or 2 as later in that draft, the Ravens took Ed Dickson and Dennis Pitta (who was, coincidentally, taken directly after Aaron Hernandez)

Jim Harbaugh wrote:
"We were very interested in Rob, - There were medical concerns, but we loved him - loved him as a player, loved him as a guy. We were pretty certain he was going to be a good player, and he's exceeded our expectations."

Another stor from the 2011 draft is that Nate Solder was taken high at 17 because the Giants, who were picking at 19 were read to take him, had the Giants drafted Solder instead of Amukamara, would their team go on to win the SB still? (just throwing ideas out there)

As recent as last year, the Browns traded a couple of picks to the Vikings in order to move up one spot, where they eventually took Trent Richardson, clearly the Vikings weren't going to select Richardson, so why did the Browns 'waste' picks in order to trade up?

Other interesting trades or selections have been when San Francisco moved up 2 spots from 13 to 11 in 2010 in order to draft Anthony Davis when Miami and Denver in front of them already had Franchise LT's on their team.

Please share any news stories, or rumours about who teams were interested in, or why trades were made from previous drafts and then we can discuss what might have been, had these players not been nabbed before another team could draft them.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Reilly wanted some guy named Tom Brady, GM John Butler didn't agree

Bohlmann20 (On The 95 Cleveland Browns Staff) wrote:
Lombardi - Isn't that the guy the trophy is named after? If so, top 3 coach of all time.

#JDI
popie70

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JammerHammer21 wrote:
Mike Reilly wanted some guy named Tom Brady, GM John Butler didn't agree

Clearly Butler was right about him.......awkward silence
green24

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Former New York Jets general manager Terry Bradway still oddly holds a senior personnel executive position in the team's front office.

During last year's draft season, Bradway's view on the incoming quarterback class was clear. He wanted Russell Wilson. Bradway talked about Wilson so much that the Wisconsin product was called "Russell Bradway" inside the Jets' building, defensive coordinator Mike Pettine told The Star-Ledger.

LINK
Crying or Very sad

aceinthehouse wrote:
I'm so confident in the Skins this season (offensively), I think they challenge the Patriots scoring record.
Call it a hunch. Idea
reckless123

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Werent Pittsburgh ready to take Revis, and im not sure if the Jets traded up or they were already in that position, but the jets nabbed him.

"Champagne"..."Mountain Range"..."Hugs".
Flaccomania

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Ravens were trying desperately in 2003 to move up and select QB Byron Leftwich. The trade was agreed to, but when Ozzie tried to call the league to confirm it, the line was busy. The Jags swooped in and stole him, so the trade never happened. The Ravens had to settle for some guy name Terrell Suggs.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan Rooney wrote:
Our 6-10 record in 2003 earned us the eleventh pick in the first round of the 2004 NFL draft. During the process of evaluating and grading the college prospects, we looked carefully at the quarterbacks. Our staff had concluded that Eli Manning and Philip Rivers were the most polished of the prospects available, but there also was a big, strong, talented kid at Miami of Ohio named Ben Roethlisberger who intrigued a lot of our scouts. Manning and Rivers both were picked before our turn, and so our people seemed to be focused on Shawn Andrews, a big offensive tackle from Arkansas as our likely number-one pick.

But when our turn came, I couldn't bear the thought of passing on another great quarterback prospect the way we had passed on Dan Marino in 1983, so I steered the conversation around to Roethlisberger. After some more talk, we came to a consensus and picked Roethlisberger. Big Ben, six-foot-five, 240 pounds, was quick, tough, had a great arm, and could think on his feet. He was just what we needed."

SFaithful97

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 49ers, specifically Bill Walsh, were disappointed to see the Giants Draft QB Simms in the first round. They were confident he could be had in the second round (or later in the first if they wanted to trade up for him) and he was Walsh's first choice to QB his team for the future. Deprived of that option, the team settled on drafting Joe Montana with the final pick of the third round.

In 1985, the 49ers traded with the patriots up to the 16th pick to select Jerry Rice. They were worried (and this was later proven to be true) that the Cowboys planned to draft him with their pick in the #17 slot.

Sometimes successful drafting is a happy accident, others genius decision making.

MAC DRE wrote:
I'd rather have young Wagner and Wright going forward than Willis and Bowman.
Silver&Black88

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Raiders wanted to trade up for Kaep pretty bad IIRC. We weren't gonna give up our future first to NE for pick #33 though. In hindsight, we totally should have. Kaep in Hue's offense could have been crazy. Hue ended up trading away that first for Palmer anyway when Jason Campbell got hurt.

There was an article posted about it on ESPN sorta recently too:
http://espn.go.com/blog/afcwest/post/_/id/54240/what-if-colin-kaepernick-was-a-raider

ravens_rool28 wrote:
Did somebody mention teens?
BaltimoreTerp

Most Valuable Poster (4th Ballot)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flaccomania wrote:
The Ravens were trying desperately in 2003 to move up and select QB Byron Leftwich. The trade was agreed to, but when Ozzie tried to call the league to confirm it, the line was busy. The Jags swooped in and stole him, so the trade never happened. The Ravens had to settle for some guy name Terrell Suggs.
For a while that whole thing seemed like a toss-up, though, when Leftwich was first developing in Jacksonville and took them to the playoffs and we were still wondering if we'd ever find a long-term quarterback of our own. After we missed out on the Leftwich trade we ended up trading back into the 1st round and taking Kyle Boller and giving up our 1st round pick in the following (2004) QB-rich draft.

Leftwich ended up falling off a cliff in terms of his development, so when you measure Leftwich vs. Suggs, it's a no-brainer. But the dirty little asterisk there is that the botched trade was part of why we ended up with Boller. Still worked out for the Ravens since Suggs turned into the player he was, but man, this story just helps remind me that Kyle Boller really sucked.
"The really important kind of freedom involves attention, and awareness, and discipline, and effort, and being able truly to care about other people and to sacrifice for them, over and over, in myriad petty little unsexy ways, every day.
fretgod99

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

reckless123 wrote:
Werent Pittsburgh ready to take Revis, and im not sure if the Jets traded up or they were already in that position, but the jets nabbed him.
Traded with the Panthers, who dropped back and picked up Jon Beason (and then Ryan Kalil in the 2nd). One of the few trades that, in my opinion, worked out splendidly for both teams.

MrDrew wrote:
Can somebody give me a good reason there's not a giant statue to fret somewhere?
IDOG_det

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silver&Black88 wrote:
The Raiders wanted to trade up for Kaep pretty bad IIRC. We weren't gonna give up our future first to NE for pick #33 though. In hindsight, we totally should have. Kaep in Hue's offense could have been crazy. Hue ended up trading away that first for Palmer anyway when Jason Campbell got hurt.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcwest/post/_/id/54240/what-if-colin-kaepernick-was-a-raider
Yeah, you guys definitely should have done that trade.

R.I.P. Stylish
TomRalph

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IDOG_det wrote:
Silver&Black88 wrote:

I would have much preferred the 21st Overall Pick in 2012 than Ras-I Dowling in 2011 Sad

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Holgreen and Mike Shannahan really wanted Bradford in 2010. Like really bad, So he learned his lesson and made sure history wouldn't repeat itself in 2012...

Heard that If the Raiders had a first this year they were set to take Janoris.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomRalph wrote:
IDOG_det wrote:
Silver&Black88 wrote:

I would have much preferred the 21st Overall Pick in 2012 than Ras-I Dowling in 2011 Sad

The Patriots did have the 21st overall pick in 2012.

aceinthehouse wrote:
I'm so confident in the Skins this season (offensively), I think they challenge the Patriots scoring record.
Call it a hunch. Idea

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL General All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 1 of 12

Jump to: